• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Sniggles

Major
75 Badges
Feb 27, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • March of the Eagles
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
MwvXZuZ.jpg

Compatible with CK2 versions 2.5.x and newer -- Current mod version 1.9!

This mod comes pre-integrated with CK2+, Project Balance, and the Historical Immersion Project!

This is a bookmark mod that I initially put together for personal use, but have modified to distribute. In short, what it does is link up dates in CK2 to the bookmarks menu that you see when you start a new game and provides a short description of the time period. It functions just like the default bookmarks, except I've added quite a few more (and tried to go into the history behind why some of them are interesting, when applicable). This mod doesn't change anything else, so I can't do anything like create new scenarios that aren't already modeled somewhere in Crusader Kings; I can only put a bookmark to them so they're easier to access, and add a paragraph or so explaining what makes the bookmarked period interesting.

As of version 1.9, the mod totals 39 new scenarios. The new scenarios and some quick descriptions of them/their time period are (with ones added in the latest 1.x update bolded and underlined):

The Union of Castille and Leon - 1072 :: Northern Iberia is united under Sancho Jimena and the Empire of Leon-Castille

Seljuk Conquest of the Levant - 1076 :: The Levant & Mecca are conquered by the Seljuks

Kiev and Novgorod - 1076 :: Kiev and Novgorod fight for supremacy in the north

The Emergence of Rum - 1077 :: The Sultanate of Rum comes into being in Anatolia

Hungary-Croatia - 1091 :: Hungary and Croatia are united; the Almoravid sultanate unifies much of southern Iberia

The "Edge of the Knife" scenario - 1098 :: Islamic near-conquest of Iberia/Byzantium

The Collapse of the Isles - 1099 :: Gudrod Crovan's kingdom splits apart upon his death

The First Crusade - 1103 :: The aftermath of the First Crusade

Jerusalem at its Height - 1124 :: Jerusalem at the height of its power

Mongolia Divided - 1125 :: The first Mongolian Khanate collapses, leaving three new Khans to vie for the territory. One is a Nestorian Christian.

The Anarchy - 1144 :: A weak English king is challenged by the house of Plantagenet

Islam in Retreat - 1145 :: A child-Sultan of Mauretania and the rebellions that follow his ascent, combined with pressures on the Seljuks, force an Islamic retreat

The Collapse of the Seljuks - 1157 :: The Seljuk Sultanate collapses and various states fight to control Persia

Manuel Komnenos - 1165 :: The reign of Manuel Komnenos, famous Byzantine Emperor with the opportunity to bring Hungary into the Empire

Saladin - 1171 :: Saladin conquers the Fatimid Sultanate of Egypt

Fall of the Komnenoi - 1186 :: The Komnenos dynasty is toppled, causing great damage to the Byzantine Empire's power and authority

The Iberian Campaign - 1186 :: Christians and Muslims in Iberia are in a rough balance

The Formation of Rajastan - 1186 :: A contender for the throne of Persia forms the Empire of Rajastan to help in his struggle with the Sultan of Khiva

Richard and Philippe - 1194 :: Richard the Lionheart and Philippe Auguste prepare to fight over control of France; the von Hohenstauffen Emperor of the HRE becomes King of Sicily

Persia and Rajastan - 1203 :: House Anushtiginid has claimed the throne of Persia, but the Empire of Rajastan still contests them for much of its de jure territory

Alexios Komnenos of Trebizond - 1205 :: Alexios Komnenos, heir of the Komnenoi line of Emperors and Despot of Trebizond, comes of age

Temujin Borjigin - 1206 :: Temujin Borjigin, known to history as Ghengis Khan, unites the disparate tribes of Mongolia under his rule.

The Seljuk Successors - 1212 :: The Anushtiginid Sultanate wins the crisis over control of Persia

Genghis Khan - 1220 :: The Mongol arrival

Turmoil in the East - 1219 :: Greece breaks down further several years after the Latin Empire's attempted conquest

The Mongol Split - 1227 :: Upon the death of Ghengis, the Mongol Empire splits into the Golden Horde, Ilkhanate, Chagatai, and Mongolia.

Indian Ambition - 1228 :: The Empire of Rajastan, after a period of turmoil, has conquered much of the subcontinent and looks poised to bring Islam to the Indian people

Sartaq Khan - 1255 :: Sartaq Khan, a Nestorian Christian, becomes Khan of the Golden Horde

Holy Roman Empire in Turmoil - 1256 :: An English Holy Roman Emperor with an unsuitable heir but the alliance of England and two eligible German king-successors

Restoration of House Gediminatis - 1265 :: Lithuania restores the son of Mindaugas

Mali United - 1275 :: Self-explanatory

The Habsburgs - 1282 :: Ottokar II of Bohemia is put down, Habsburgs rule HRE and come into possession of the Duchy of Austria

The Sicilian Vespers - 1285 :: Convoluted claims and twisted alliances begin a war over control of the kingdom of Sicily; Philippe IV of France gains the kingdom of Navarra

The Ilkhanate Converts! - 1295 :: The Ilkhanate becomes Shia Muslim

The Polish-Bohemian Union - 1300 :: Vaclav II of Bohemia becomes King of Poland

The Fall of Rum - 1311 :: The Sultanate of Rum breaks apart into several small successor-states

The Golden Horde Converts! - 1313 :: The Golden Horde converts to Sunni Islam

Magnus IV - 1319 :: Magnus IV becomes king of both Sweden and Norway

The Italian Campaign - 1329 :: The Italian states are free from HRE control and seek final unity

It's not a masterpiece, but hopefully a few people can find a few more interesting scenarios they can try. Any historical points I managed to get wrong in my scenario summaries (most of this was quick research) and any misspellings I happened to make will be promptly fixed if you can point 'em out; as this was mostly meant for private use before I adapted it some of the descriptions may still have a few minor errors.

This should be compatible with just about everything. Alternate history/scenario mods like the Game of Thrones mod will be broken if you try to use it alongside them, obviously.

As turnabout is only fair and I've borrowed from plenty modders in my time, anyone is free to take, use, and modify this as they see fit without asking for my permission, provided credit is given to me for the base if it's to be publicly distributed.

Enjoy!

A note on new bookmarks:
Even though the mod already has a lot of bookmarks in it, I'm always looking to add more interesting time periods. To get the ones I have currently I've used both my own knowledge of history and user suggestions to come up with new dates, but by-and-large I got them by going through the dates covered by CK2 month-by-month and looking out for interesting changes. This has its faults, though, mainly in that I can't see what vassal power or claims look like, just the political map. I know I missed a lot of interesting content, and that's where users come in. Anyone with good knowledge of the period, or even simple knowledge of a time they think would be interesting, should feel free to drop the suggestion to me. This mod is henceforth going to be completely user-driven. If there's a time period you know--a civil war, conflicting claims, vassalage qualms, what have you--and you think it's modeled in some way in CK2, tell me about it! I would be more than happy to check it out, even just to make sure. It's to everyone's benefit!

Changelog:
-Updated for CK2 2.5 compatibility (thanks to taio and the HIP development team for helping out on this one!)
-Modified some bookmark descriptions to be more accurate/fix issues.

-Added two new bookmarks, "Mongolia Divided" and "Temujin Borjigin" based on the map expansion from Horse Lords.
-Removed the "Lithuania Unites!" bookmark and redid the title and flavor text of the "House Gediminatis Restored" bookmark to become "Lithuania Unites!" The original was superfluous and should have been removed a while ago.
-Redid text for Ghengis Khan and Mongol Split bookmarks to reflect new bookmarks and new characters.

-Added compatibility for Charlemagne
-Added a few new characters associated with the 2.2 patch
-Split the Kiev and Novgorod and Rise of Rum bookmarks; pushed the Kiev and Novgorod bookmark back like... 6 days, maybe?

-removed the "War of Two Eriks" bookmark, as it uses Paradox's old rebellion mechanic and not the new "X Revolt" title mechanic, thus effectively breaking the scenario

v1.6.1
-removed the 1150 "Indian Campaign" start, as Paradox history has changed with the new patch
-minor localization improvements

v1.6
-Compatibility with bookmark changes from the update
-Added four new bookmarks associated with the new map expansion into India
-Added an Indian interesting character to the 867 bookmark
-Added an Indian breakaway state to the Collapse of the Seljuks bookmark
-Updated Anushtiginid Victory scenario to reflect their defeat of Rajastan

v1.5.1
-Minor localization fixes and improvements in preparation for Rajas of India and the mod's version 1.6

v1.5
-Added the Sartaq Khan bookmark
-Fixed an issue with a bookmark (Richard and Philippe) not displaying
-Moved the date of the Edge of the Knife scenario back a few years, to boost the strength of Rum
-A few localisation fixes
-Added in missing notes for characters in the bookmarks file
-Removed the Conquest of Navarra, King of Dublin and the Isles, and the Romuva Lithuania bookmarks to reduce clutter

v1.4
-Removed the Pommerania bookmark, since Pommeranian culture is now playable with ToG. Sorry non-TOG users, it was to cut down on clutter!
-Added four new bookmarks: The War of the Two Eriks, the division of the Mongol Empire into the Golden Horde and Ilkhanate, Lithuania's formation (Paradox fixed issues that prevented me from including this earlier), and the rise of a Romuvan King of Lithuania.
-Localisation improvements

v1.3.4:
-Removed two unnecessary bookmarks
-Text and localization fixes/updates
-General housekeeping

v1.3.3:
-Minor bugfix for a potential error

v1.3.2:
-Fixed two reference errors in three bookmarks (relating to house Plantagenet's dynastic origins and Manuel I Komnenos's relation to Alexios of Trebizond)

v 1.3.1:
-Fixed a CharID that referenced a nonexistent character in the Italian Campaign bookmark
-Added two missing characters to the Italian Campaign bookmark

v 1.3:
-Fixed many spelling/reference mistakes
-Added an extra character to the 1091 Hungary-Croatia start
-Added 15 new bookmarks; see bolded items in bookmark list for full set

v 1.2.1:
-Fixed an inaccurate reference to Frederick I Barbarossa when it should have referenced Frederick II

v 1.2:
-Added bookmark for Holy Roman Empire in Turmoil

v 1.1:
-Added bookmark for the English Anarchy
-Added bookmark for Lithuania's conversion to Orthodoxy
-Added bookmark for the Habsburgs taking control of the Duchy of Austria

v 1.0:
Initial Release

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 168
  • Sniggles's Bookmarks.rar
    736,3 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Cool! It's always a hassle trying to find new & interesting dates and characters to play with. I end up spending more time on Wikipedia than I should having a glance! Thanks for this, man! :)

Excellent, how do I contribute?
Find me interesting time periods/events! I particularly favor ones with a solid historical background, hence my focus on unique events such as the Hungarian-Croatian unification and things like the First Crusade, but even just happenstance events that make a region look particularly interesting are fair game (I included the Edge of the Knife, Manuel Komnenos and Iberian Campaign scenarios simply because they looked nice, for example, even though a lot of stuff was going on for Manuel). If you can dredge up any good-looking historical happenings that I've missed, I'll do some basic research on them and make sure there's enough representation for it in CK2 to make a bookmark. If everything checks out, I'll add it and update the mod when I've got enough new content.

Speaking of which, the Hapsburgs. I knew I forgot to include a bookmark for when they got control of the Duchy of Austria. That'll be included in the next version.

As turnabout is only fair and I've borrowed from plenty modders in my time, anyone is free to take, use, and modify this as they see fit without asking for my permission, provided credit is given to me for the base if it's to be publicly distributed.
Fantastic. I'll implement it into Project Balance :)
Nice work.

Fantastic. I'll implement it into Project Balance :)
Nice work.
*swoon*

The Anarchy would be really cool.
Yes it would... if it were properly modeled by Paradox :glare: They got the claims and everything right, but they didn't switch England to Agnatic-Cognatic during this period, so it's not going to be as realistic as it should be. Far more likely than not the house de Blois would maintain the throne rather than the Plantagenets taking it, but oh well. They've got the claims right and it's certainly interesting from a historical perspective (who doesn't want to play as a random house on the English throne with discontented Norman vassals, eh?), so it's in.

Mod updated to 1.1, three new bookmarks added.

@Sniggles:
BTW, "Sniggles's" is grammatically incorrect. It should just be "Sniggles'" ;)
Ah man, I got into this same debate with a professor I turned a paper in to a while back.

Technically speaking, either is accurate. But in the academic world something like "Sniggles'" would usually mean a plural possessive rather than a singular possessive, so multiple Sniggles owning something/s; that's how it's traditionally been used, anyway. A separated "'s" always denotes a singular possessive and is still fine to use with words that end in "s", so usually that's used for singular posessive rather than "s'" (in my field, anyway), so as to avoid confusion.

So we're both right, and I just like doing it the way that looks weird. :cool:

Ah man, I got into this same debate with a professor I turned a paper in to a while back.

Technically speaking, either is accurate. But in the academic world something like "Sniggles'" would usually mean a plural possessive rather than a singular possessive, so multiple Sniggles owning something/s; that's how it's traditionally been used, anyway. A separated "'s" always denotes a singular possessive and is still fine to use with words that end in "s", so usually that's used for singular posessive rather than "s'" (in my field, anyway), so as to avoid confusion.

So we're both right, and I just like doing it the way that looks weird. :cool:
I think we can just agree that English is silly ;)
In Norwegian you simply add an "s" to the end to make a word possessive. No apostrophe at all. The only exception being words that end in s, x, or z (not that any native Norwegian words use z), where you just add an apostrophe instead.

I think we can just agree that English is silly ;)
In Norwegian you simply add an "s" to the end to make a word possessive. No apostrophe at all. The only exception being words that end in s, x, or z (not that any native Norwegian words use z), where you just add an apostrophe instead.
I've long ago come to the conclusion that the English just decided to make their language ridiculously complicated to have a giggle at everyone who was forced to learn it. My apologies to you for the suffering my ancestors have unjustly caused.

The Reign of Otakar II of Bohemia - 1253-1276
I'm not sure when in-game he's at the peak of his power, but when he is he rules from Bohemia to the Adriatic.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ef/Bohemia-ottokar2.jpg
Possible characters:
Otakar (obviously)
HRE Conrad/Richard of Cornwall/Rudolph Habsburg
Duke Henry/Louis of Bavaria
Richard of Cornwall wouldn't happen to be the Plantagenet Emperor, would he? I actually intended to include a bookmark for him at some point. If he is, I could very easily fold him and Ottokar into a single bookmark, which I think would work wonderfully for everyone, unless Ottokar wasn't very powerful at the time. Hmm, I'll definitely take a look at it later tonight. I'm swamped with schoolwork and March of the Eagles just released so I might not update until the end of the week, but at the very least I'll take a look at the groundwork and decide when to put the bookmark, either for Ottokar or for the Plantagenet Emperor, or both.

Richard of Cornwall wouldn't happen to be the Plantagenet Emperor, would he? I actually intended to include a bookmark for him at some point. If he is, I could very easily fold him and Ottokar into a single bookmark, which I think would work wonderfully for everyone, unless Ottokar wasn't very powerful at the time. Hmm, I'll definitely take a look at it later tonight. I'm swamped with schoolwork and March of the Eagles just released so I might not update until the end of the week, but at the very least I'll take a look at the groundwork and decide when to put the bookmark, either for Ottokar or for the Plantagenet Emperor, or both.
Yeah, Richard became HRE (well King of Germany because he was never actually crowned by the Pope) in 1257.

Since there seems to be relatively limited interest in giving me new bookmark suggestions, I went ahead and uploaded the 1.2 version with only one new bookmark. The new bookmark, called Holy Roman Empire in Turmoil, features the Plantagenet Emperor Richard I as well as Ottokar II of Bohemia, set in 1256. Its focus is turmoil in the Empire, with Richard I's heir being English, and two eligible Germanic kings--the German von Hohenstauffen King of Sicily, who controls land in central Germany, and Ottokar himself, a Czech King of Bohemia--contesting the election. With the possibility of the English Plantagenets intervening in any war within the Empire, it lives up to its name.

Last edited:
Don't worry, I have some...

1256 - Sartaq Khan's reign in the Golden Horde. IRL he was murdered that same year, but its an interesting POD if he is not. Character could be made nestorian or orthodox as it seems its sorta fuzzy as to which particular denomination he was.

1271 - Edward I's (or the Ninth) Crusade
1274 - Second Council of Lyon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Mongol_alliance#Council_of_Lyon_.281274.29

The closest the West and the Mongols ever came to forming an alliance against Islam. Lots of interesting character for that bookmark.

1301 - Wenceslaus II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenceslaus_II,_King_of_Bohemia

By this year, Wenceslaus ruled Bohemia and Poland directly with his young son placed as King of Hungary. Tried to play this year with vanilla, but they dont have the Hungary setup right.

1313 - Ozbeg Khan converts the Golden Horde to Islam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzbeg_Khan

Don't worry, I have some...

1256 - Sartaq Khan's reign in the Golden Horde. IRL he was murdered that same year, but its an interesting POD if he is not. Character could be made nestorian or orthodox as it seems its sorta fuzzy as to which particular denomination he was.

1271 - Edward I's (or the Ninth) Crusade
1274 - Second Council of Lyon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Mongol_alliance#Council_of_Lyon_.281274.29

The closest the West and the Mongols ever came to forming an alliance against Islam. Lots of interesting character for that bookmark.

1301 - Wenceslaus II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenceslaus_II,_King_of_Bohemia

By this year, Wenceslaus ruled Bohemia and Poland directly with his young son placed as King of Hungary. Tried to play this year with vanilla, but they dont have the Hungary setup right.

1313 - Ozbeg Khan converts the Golden Horde to Islam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzbeg_Khan
Some of these seem good, others not so much. What I'm doing is simply linking up and providing descriptions for dates with the vanilla setup, so anything poorly modeled in vanilla won't be any better modeled in this mod. Wenceslaus II seems interesting, but I can't work magic with his son on the throne of Hungary if he's not in Paradox's setup. Similarly, Ozbeg Khan's conversion sounds great, but only if Paradox properly mapped it.

As for the others, well, there's no real incentive. If I was doing bookmarks for simple POVs/dynasty changes I would pretty much be sticking something in every time a territory rebelled, so I can't find it in me to include Sartaq. Edward's crusade likely isn't properly modeled in the war files by Paradox, and the Second Council of Leon, while interesting, probably won't have much merit to bookmarking it aside from some recognizable historical faces; the main purpose behind this mod is finding new dates that are interesting for their gameplay, not just for their historical value. That said, though, I will take a look at the date.

Thanks, I'm foreseeing Wenceslaus being included at least.