• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Does the AI select the Christianity events? is it random?
The AI doesn't get the events to destroy churches. The conversion events start in Jerusalem, then trace the historical missions roughly and the spread of Christianity across the map by region, but the specific provinces in the regions are mostly random, and there is an event that converts pops by proximity, if a neighboring province has Christian pops.

• 4Like
Reactions:
v0.9.4 tweaks for better compatibility with Invictus
I'm trying to make this as compatible with Invictus as possible, considering that Invictus is not meant to extend past 753 AUC / 1 BCE. Launcher load order should not matter with this version, and the changes to prevent too many dynamic tags should also help to run Invictus for a lot longer when running these two mods together, compared with running Invictus alone.

Another notable change is the slight increase to the Late Antiquity Pop Decline modifier from -0.30% to -0.33% — trying to find the right balance so this depletes population enough, especially in Europe, for migratory tribes to migrate, but without creating huge pockets of empty territory all over the map.

There is also the addition of an alternate description for the event to destroy Christian communities and churches for Judea, Samaria, and any country that has Judaism as the official religion, to reflect the unique perspective compared with pagan countries.

Changelog IR_TE v0.9.4

*Re-named \setup\countries countries.txt file to te_countries.txt and included only the additional IRCK3 tags for WRE and ERE
*Copied tags for Barbaricum and Invictus into countries.txt
-this should avoid overwriting issues in load order for compatibility

*Allowed decision to split Roman dictatorship if it owns at least 1200 cities (twice as many as required for an imperium (600))
-can "skip" empire requirement to be popular (90)

*AI Rome should not move its capital to Byzantium if it is currently at war (checks for war = no)

*Adjusted IRCK3 split empire decision to check for technology level in other half of empire
-for Invictus, was adding technology even though the new country had the same tech level
-changed tech addition to 5000 for ERE and 3000 for WRE
*Edited scripted IRCK3 trigger is_in_pars_occidentalis_trigger to try to exclude Invictus' macedonia_region and galatia_region
-Invictus reworked the map and these regions were sometimes alternately added to WRE in the IRCK3 decision to split the Roman Empire
*Corrected path to setup/countries folder for ERE and WRE in countries.txt file
*Added condition for at least 100 eastern provinces to allow the decision

*Edited triggers for te_christianity.97 and 98 to check if the dominant_province_religion = christianity and the date is less than 1066.2.2 to slow the pop conversions somewhat

*Increased late_antiquity_pop_decline modifier slightly to -0.33%
*Edited trigger for te_plagues.3 and te_plagues.31 to remove late_antiquity_pop_decline modifier from the Eastern Roman Empire (if its capital is Byzantium)
*Adjusted triggers for te_plagues.3 and te_plagues.31 so that after 1148 AUC / 395 CE they do not add the modifier to, and remove the modifier from, countries that are neither in_pars_occidentalis_trigger = yes nor an AI of empire size (num_of_cities >= 600) with its capital_scope in province_id = 4440 (Pataliputra)

*Added is_alive = yes checks to te_rel_flavor events for random_character loyalty
*Added exists = scope:xian_character check for te_rel_flavor.1 option to clean up tooltip
*Edited character traits added and removed for te_rel_flavor events
-characters that have the tolerant trait already and choose to leave Christians alone will not see the events to destroy christian communities again
*Added alternate descriptions to te_rel_flavor events for Judea, Samaria or countries with religion = judaism
-should reflect their different views on religion
*Adjusted trigger for te_rel_flavor events so they do not fire for countries with religion = manichaeism

*Added trigger checks for any_pops_in_province that have neither christianity nor judaism for te_judaism.3 and te_judaism.4 events
-event should not fire if it doesn't convert any pops

*Added ISR tag to te_judaism.2 and te_rel_flavor event triggers
-for better Invictus compatibility

*Added imperial_cult government type to IRCK3 decision to split the Roman Empire

*te_christianity events that add churches to provinces now remove the early_christian_community modifier after adding early_christian_church

######
TO DO:
!More testing
!Look for any new create_country issues in game logs
~that could cause stability problems with too many dynamic tags in the late timeline
?Add more German localization?

Attachments

• Simple IR Timeline Extender v0.9.4.zip
    2,1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Why in inclusion of the cultural decisions? They seem to be the same as the Cultural Conflagration mod, couldn't we just use that mod or the Invictus compatible version?

Why in inclusion of the cultural decisions? They seem to be the same as the Cultural Conflagration mod, couldn't we just use that mod or the Invictus compatible version?
Yeah, I didn't need to overwrite the whole base game file. That was an effort to prevent the AI from using the city_self_rule decision (it duplicates that and makes the decision more difficult for the AI) and avoid creating a lot of small dynamic tags. It's all the same decisions as the base game other than that. Alright, that's something on the list already to fix for v0.9.5 so it doesn't overwrite the whole file. Thanks for pointing this out.

For the time being, load this mod first in the launcher load order so Culture Conflation overwrites it.

Does this have an impact on existing savegames when subscribed via steam?
The latest (v0.9.4) version is compatible with existing saves from the earlier Steam version, v0.9.3.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks again for your work. Gonna do a test game with the new version of invictus when it comes out in a few days.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Have you looked at the newest Invictus release? Is mod compatable?

I somehow just found this mod although I've been interested in doing something very similar for some time. I haven't downloaded or played it yet but i have a few questions / comments from reading the thread here.

there are a lot of barbarian armies that spawn as a kind of simulation of the migration era
Combine that with the waves of barbarian armies that spawn from the added Hun invasion events, and there is a lot more happening on the map. With the smaller tags, the barbarians roll over them and there is a runaway effect where they keep adding tribesmen pops, and then bigger and larger armies spawn. I added some events to remove the strongholds if neighboring countries get provinces up to a certain number of tribesmen, but that's still not keeping the game from crashing. The AI has atrocious path-finding around the Caspian Sea, and a lot of barbarians get stuck around there, adding to the number of armies. Since there is already an issue with lag late in the timeline, it's just too unstable.
I also removed the increase to army maintenance costs from v0.8.0, because that seems to throw things off balance for small countries, and it might be frustrating for players that prefer standing armies rather than levies.
Another bug has halted progress on this mod. There are CTDs late in the timeline when the game creates a new country in certain parts of the map.
This seems to be a common issue. How are you spawning them? I made the armies for the Galatian invasion in Invictus but didn't have to code anything that would trigger the described runaway effect.
Also, the tag count crash seems to be a major issue. Have you considered taking your content and adding an alternate / later start date? I'm interested in all of these events but don't want to play for 3 centuries to get them. I have started (and stopped) work on mods which being in either 129 BC or as late as 271 BC but didn't have the time or manpower to finish the setup. I think either of these would be great for the mod and would remove a lot of the issues you're running into.

The two plagues added in this mod help a lot to cut down the exponential population increase that can happen when playing the (unmodded) vanilla timeline for a few centuries past the default end date.
Curious to see your
(you can use the same mechanics for spreading a religion or an idea to any other type of 'infection': growth in large cities, growth across cities with trade links or any city with a port. See the spread of the cult of Isis in the base game.)

Thanks, I thought about that, and while the Virgin Mary is a kind of "supersaint" in many Christian denominations, she's not a deity, while the Trinity is. So it actually is more problematic theologically. Mary is included in the this mod pantheon though, as it is, made up of saints. I added St. Mark for v0.8 so there are 18 in total to choose from, including four archangels.
This is best. The Ashes of Empires mod has a similar pantheon with respective holy sites.
These early churches are modifiers that will, if you leave them alone, eventually convert all of your pops in that province to the new religion. Some players may want to play an extended timeline with the rise of Christianity, but keep their own people loyal to the old gods, like many ancient rulers tried.
Rodney Stark has argued that Christianity had a sustained pop growth through childbirth for its first three centuries. I think I read somewhere that the total population was only like 10% or more by the time Constantine had his vision but quickly jumped to 30% in his generation and was 50% by the time of Theodosius' proclamation. Could make for some very interesting imperial decisions.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This seems to be a common issue. How are you spawning them? I made the armies for the Galatian invasion in Invictus but didn't have to code anything that would trigger the described runaway effect.
Also, the tag count crash seems to be a major issue. Have you considered taking your content and adding an alternate / later start date? I'm interested in all of these events but don't want to play for 3 centuries to get them. I have started (and stopped) work on mods which being in either 129 BC or as late as 271 BC but didn't have the time or manpower to finish the setup. I think either of these would be great for the mod and would remove a lot of the issues you're running into.
While it's not perfect, the latest version does address a lot of the problems I ran into during development. From game start in 304 BC up until AD 476, with the tweaks I made to civil wars and some base game events, the number of tags never approaches the limit, from what I've tested so far. It will get there though, eventually, but if running far beyond about AD 500 the game slows down to nearly unplayable for other reasons, such as the number of characters. So the aim here is not to go that far in the timeline, since you can convert to CK3 and start the tech progression in 476.

The barbarians are spawned by adding provincial modifiers for barbarian growth on impassable provinces, which create strongholds. They spawn out a lot more hordes than the base game strongholds at the start of a new campaign, and so I've added events to remove them when a neighboring province with the same culture gets to a certain number of tribesmen pops (100 or 200) to halt the runaway effect. So far, I think it works fairly well. It's simple, some might say crude, scripting.

As for plague mechanics, yes, I was thinking about the infection spreading from province-to-province somewhat like the conversion events, though I want to avoid emptying out low-pop settlements everywhere. Currently both the Antonine and Cyprian plagues add country variables to trigger hidden events that target provinces with a certain population threshold at random, and then add provincial modifiers to severely reduce population growth, tax base, trade routes etc. which kills pops, reduces manpower and income for a couple of decades while the plague continues. The Cyprian plague is worse and kills pops faster.

Rodney Stark has argued that Christianity had a sustained pop growth through childbirth for its first three centuries. I think I read somewhere that the total population was only like 10% or more by the time Constantine had his vision but quickly jumped to 30% in his generation and was 50% by the time of Theodosius' proclamation. Could make for some very interesting imperial decisions.
That's interesting, so far I haven't added a pop growth buff to Christian provinces.

Any chance something similar to the Galatian invasion could work as a submod for the migrations of tribes into Italy and the Iberian peninsula around AD 400?

• 2Love
Reactions:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Is there a way to remove excess characters or wipe the list of dead ones out so the game does not have to track them?

Is there a way to remove excess characters or wipe the list of dead ones out so the game does not have to track them?
I'm not sure, maybe @Snow Crystal knows? Though that would have to be a carefully curated list to avoid wiping characters that are historically* significant, such as rulers, heads of families, and religious figures etc. The converters track historical* characters so it might cause issues in the ancestry tree with dynasties if they were pruned too aggressively.

*as in, alt-historical for the timeline in-game.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Does it still crash if you load Invictus after this mod (with the timeline extender above Invictus) in the launcher load order?
Sorry for the late reply, I did not expect such a quick reply :D

I made a quick test and it works if I load the Extender first.

Also, do you know if it is possible to delete tags via saveediting?
As to free up old tags to reduce the risk of crashing..

Sorry for the late reply, I did not expect such a quick reply :D

I made a quick test and it works if I load the Extender first.

Also, do you know if it is possible to delete tags via saveediting?
As to free up old tags to reduce the risk of crashing..
Could probably be automated by creating a program based on ImperatorToCK3's code.

That could be helpful, though I haven't seen it get anywhere near 2,000 tags now before AD 500. Increasing the civil war threshold in the defines file, so that you need at least four provinces now and at least one of them in another state area to trigger a civil war, makes a big difference. I was reluctant to change something basic like that but I don't think it really detracts from gameplay.

I'm not sure, maybe @Snow Crystal knows? Though that would have to be a carefully curated list to avoid wiping characters that are historically* significant, such as rulers, heads of families, and religious figures etc. The converters track historical* characters so it might cause issues in the ancestry tree with dynasties if they were pruned too aggressively.

*as in, alt-historical for the timeline in-game.

In Script? Not as far as I know, I don't think we ever added anything like that, I'm afraid.

• 1Like
Reactions: