• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I will gladly throw you all the work I ever did to see this get done. I can conjure up flags and names and maps and such if you want, and if you need events I suppose I could finally learn how to do that, too.

Regarding the comes/provinces/dioceses thing, when I did work on my own version of the pet project I ended up skipping dioceses altogether, because then things get confusing if and when the Empire collapses or an independence war happens. An independent diocese is just Not A Thing, and even making it a localization of King for Romans or Romantic cultures means that if a Roman ever becomes king in a post-Empire situation, he'll become the vicarius of a diocese and that's also silly. The de jure titles and territories need to reflect not just the later Roman Empire, but also the post-Roman era in equal measure. Favoring Roman titles and de jure territories too much makes the post-Roman period weird.

I'm currently working on a Roman Polytheism interface, so if you think it's up to standard, then you can use it in this mod (provided you aren't making your own - I just started a thread below with a sample showing the basic art style). Granted Roman polytheism won't be the main religion, this mod being set in late antiquity, but obviously there will be many regions which still worship Jupiter (and some characters, probably).

Thanks very much Ofaloaf, and I agree I was thinking of making the Dioceses / Prefectures titular, so that when the west falls they fall with it (I could do an event to destroy all Dioceses when the WRE falls I suppose, and a decision to reform into the Theme system in the east).

I was also thinking about keeping the Duchies that SWMH has (but making them so that they are not formable by Romans, they would get Titular Duchies), so as to not have a too odd post-Roman Europe.
spartanlemur, I was just about to ask you if I could use that interface for the Graeco-Roman pantheon! Great stuff!

Last edited:
I just noticed it now, but it just might be possible to merge spartanlemur's interface works (which seems to change the tabs so far) and Solo_Adhémar's work (which mostly changes the character menu and icons).
It's essentially like being forced to choose between two equally-perfect life partners.... and choosing the OT3 harem route :rofl:

I just noticed it now, but it just might be possible to merge spartanlemur's interface works (which seems to change the tabs so far) and Solo_Adhémar's work (which mostly changes the character menu and icons).
It's essentially like being forced to choose between two equally-perfect life partners.... and choosing the OT3 harem route :rofl:

This would be great, plus the Zoroastrian mechanics from TOG (rebuild the priesthood decisions) :D !

Side note, I'm really going to have to make a list of all the other mods I'm using...

Could you possibly find me a link to the work done by Solo_Adhémar? I'll see how well our files fit together and if they look visually compatible, I might see if I can get permission to merge the interface changes.

Could you possibly find me a link to the work done by Solo_Adhémar? I'll see how well our files fit together and if they look visually compatible, I might see if I can get permission to merge the interface changes.

It's included in the new version of TPATT, I sent him a PM about using it in this mod, and he says that he may release a standalone version in the future, he'll get back to me.

BTW spartanlemur, do you want to be on the "Dream Team" list, I'm including everyone who helps out with the mod in some way :D.

It's included in the new version of TPATT, I sent him a PM about using it in this mod, and he says that he may release a standalone version in the future, he'll get back to me.

BTW spartanlemur, do you want to be on the "Dream Team" list, I'm including everyone who helps out with the mod in some way :D.

Thanks! I'll take a look at the changes made in TPATT and leave those files until last. I'll probably be able to help out in some other areas of the mod as well once I'm done with the interface, namely restoration of polytheism to Rome events, as those will be useful in both late antiquity and the 867AD TOG mod I'm working on (though adapted ofc).

As for the dream team, if nobody's taken it yet, can I have "Praetor Urbanus"?

Sure, we need someone to focus on religion (I have my hands full with the map at the moment).

Welcome aboard

Last edited:
West Africa and Eastern Europe are going to be tough nuts to crack. There's woefully little information out there about either region during the 4th/5th centuries, and what little there is based on oral tradition and scant archaeological evidence, neither of which tends to do well in providing CK2-relevant info like de jure, placenames and even rulers' names. I note that the Steam Group labels Eastern Europe as 'Slavonia' (likely lightheartedly, but I'm trying to make a point here) for discussion's sake, although the Sclaveni themselves seem to have not made an appearance anywhere until c.500, give or take a few decades. Africa's even worse, because it's not clear if there's even any oral traditions that date back to then, and Classical geographers seem to have just labeled the region 'Æthiopia' or 'Nigritia' and then decided that was good enough.

Sure, I'll also ask for SWMH while I'm at it, since it seems to work very well in my tests.
The one thing about SWMH is that there might not be enough ancient towns to cover all the additional counties SWMH adds to the map. Eastern Europe is going to be terrifying to work through as it is, but even parts of Gallia (find 8 classical towns that are located within the county of Eu!) don't necessarily have enough information to provide period-appropriate baronies for every county. I had to make up some toponyms just to fill in ??? entries even for the vanilla map.

On a related note, what's the policy on localizing names and titles? I'm a horrible cultural imperialist and mostly tend to favor English translations like "Western Roman Empire" because I don't understand Latin, Old Persian or Punic, but if the team is really set to do it...

I've just taken a look at the TPATT interface: As it's a broad redesign of the parchment on all the religious interfaces (something I'm not touching anyway), I should be able to adapt the Graeco-Roman Polytheism interface I'm working on for compatibility at some point. I'll finish it off using the vanilla format to start with before editing it to work with Solo's work if we choose to use it.

Would there be a way to transfer the save of this mod to vanilla CK2 and continue it from there?

probably not. mods don't really work in vanilla unless it is just a graphical/interface repositioning mod or a map retexture.

Would there be a way to transfer the save of this mod to vanilla CK2 and continue it from there?
If you want to continue to ToG you could change the end date from the defines.txt in this case there would be so much death weight after the 11th century that it would lag like hell or you could manually convert it.

West Africa and Eastern Europe are going to be tough nuts to crack. There's woefully little information out there about either region during the 4th/5th centuries, and what little there is based on oral tradition and scant archaeological evidence, neither of which tends to do well in providing CK2-relevant info like de jure, placenames and even rulers' names. I note that the Steam Group labels Eastern Europe as 'Slavonia' (likely lightheartedly, but I'm trying to make a point here) for discussion's sake, although the Sclaveni themselves seem to have not made an appearance anywhere until c.500, give or take a few decades. Africa's even worse, because it's not clear if there's even any oral traditions that date back to then, and Classical geographers seem to have just labeled the region 'Æthiopia' or 'Nigritia' and then decided that was good enough.

For Rome and bits of other areas I have this for place names, http://pelagios.dme.ait.ac.at/maps/greco-roman/ , it's spare beyond Germania and Persia, but it does have some places in eastern europe (admittidly burial sites, but they may have to do), and does have a few towns in east Africa. Yeah Slavonia was because a few maps I've seen have SLAVS written over everything to the east of Germania, which seems... unlikely to say the least :laugh:.

The one thing about SWMH is that there might not be enough ancient towns to cover all the additional counties SWMH adds to the map. Eastern Europe is going to be terrifying to work through as it is, but even parts of Gallia (find 8 classical towns that are located within the county of Eu!) don't necessarily have enough information to provide period-appropriate baronies for every county. I had to make up some toponyms just to fill in ??? entries even for the vanilla map.

On a related note, what's the policy on localizing names and titles? I'm a horrible cultural imperialist and mostly tend to favor English translations like "Western Roman Empire" because I don't understand Latin, Old Persian or Punic, but if the team is really set to do it...

For SWMH, the reason I like it for this time period is that A) it shows the Rhine and Danube Borders much better than the vanilla map, B) Has a far superior setup in the Middle east, with regards to the Desert between Persia and Syria (It means that any wars between the two powers will be confined to the north, as is historically accurate). C) Also shows the sheer size of the Roman Empire (at the time at least). Travel was much slower in Roman times (even with the highways) than is often thought, it could take the best part of a month for troops to get from Alexandria to Antioch.

With regard to the modern Belarus or western Russia, apart from translating the names of villages and towns that seem to predate the 6th and 7th centuries, I don't think there's any other way to represent them (unless you can have provinces that have no baronies pre-built, which I don't think you can).

To be honest, I like having a bit of diversity (although I agree it can be very odd when you get the message "The Vojvoda of Hrvatska has declared war on the Książę of Polska!", so I'm not planning on going that far), perhaps just having Latin, Greek and Persian titles localised?

Of course, I could do a fully English version, with a Localisation Module, which would solve most of these problems. People who want to have the localisation can have it, and those who don't, won't.

Vandals with Old Gods DLC in late bookmarks sholuld be intressting to play

By the late stage, they'll be Arian, and won't be able to use the Pagan mechanics :laugh:.

If you want to continue to ToG you could change the end date from the defines.txt in this case there would be so much death weight after the 11th century that it would lag like hell or you could manually convert it.

Pretty much this, I would love to have a game that covers 1,000 years of European history, but it's not really practical (sadly).

BTW This is how the Cultural Groups will likely be organised (based upon language, because I don't really have a better way of organising them);

Germanic
Thraco-Dacian
Balto-Slavic
Celtic
Iranian
Hamito-Semitic
Finno-Ugric
Latin
Greek
Altaic

Can anyone think of any others?

Last edited:
What about Berber Group?

Also Roman culture should become Italian culture and Greco-Roman culture Greek culture.

Last edited:
Caucasian? For the Georgians and Armenians, you know.

Ah yes, and that reminds me, Anatolian as well.

What about Berber Group?

Also Roman culture should become Italian culture and Greco-Roman culture Greek culture.

Yes, I could have East African, West African and East African Groups.

Don't worry there will be many melting pot style events hopefully.