• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I know this thread is pretty dead, but i have no other way of getting the know-how of this mod so if anyone is here to answer me that'd be great:
Theres no tutorial or explanation about any of this mod so im pretty confused.
So, i formed a dynasty with myself as emperor in my current run, had 2 emperors back to back but the 3rd was a child, thought "ok, the chancellor is gonna rule until i become 16"
The chancellor decided he wanted to become emperor and i just get gameover'd. I get the point of him trying to become emperor and thats it but i dont even get a chance to fight? Theres no way for me to continue playing as my dynasty either? No way to stop him from just becoming emperor?

You can try to go to war with him, or gain territories other than your one temple. Use your wealth to conquer outside of the Chancellor's territory or do a "crusade" against pagans for lands. If that's not an option than... yeah, you're fucked. Then again, most chinese dynasties weren't exactly able to do anything once a guy became the power behind the throne (Han and Tang are good examples of that). So it's pretty accurate. Here's an advice. If a kid inherit while in a war, the Chancellor won't set in until peace. So make sure to drag these wars or start new ones until the kid is 16.

It's hard staying in power in Dynastic China. History actually has a lot of examples of that, probably more than the successful dynasties that lasted a long time. Qin, Cao Wei and The Sixteen Kingdoms are just some examples of Dynasties falling appart due to powers behind the throne.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sorry for the lack of response. I have been much more responsive on Steam. I have also been actively playing other games, so this has fallen off the boat. No current plans to add more to the mod. If you want to add to the mod, that'd be great. Anything and everything that is unrelated to vanilla (IE: custom made by me), has a "0_" before the event/decision/etc in the mod folder.

Quarantine Update!

I haven't been playing Romance as much these days, but after exhausting 15 other games these past few months, I'm returning to our orphaned baby, Crusader Kings II: Romance of the Three Kingdoms!

I am excited to see how moddable Crusader Kings III will be, my biggest issues in creating this mod were the succession laws and government types in CKII.

I've added bloodlines into the game, please let me know if you'd like to see other bloodlines reflected. I considered people like Ma Yuan, but wasn't sure if I should include one time famous commanders. I was more going for empire forming, culture changing bloodlines. Let me know what you think!

I plan to add more graphics updates and petition events into the game for the next update, including @Will Steel's Kushan flag suggestion.

@jbutton169 There are events in the background that help Sun Ce rise up in Jiangdong, but some very specific chain of events must occur for that to happen. The player will not see any events.. But I may change that.

Changelog (1.23)
  • Update for CKII 3.3.3
  • Fixed several typos in random places and corrected several histories
  • Added localization for various opinions and clans
  • Added 50+ characters including Sima and Zhuge clan members, several of whom are not born during the playable bookmarks
  • Added 6 bloodlines (Liu Bang (Liu Clan), Kujula Kadphises (Kushan), Go Chumo (Goguryeo), Kong Fuzi (Confucius), Li Laozi (Laozi - Founder of Taoism), Sun Zi (IE: the Art of War)

• 6Like
Reactions:
Okay so say a new Dynasty forms within China how do you become its new chancellor?

Be becoming the preeminent lord within that Dynasty. But Emperor's only lose power to a "chancellor" when they become incapable of ruling either from old age, poor health, child emperor, or simply not caring about ruling (all the sins baby).

So no matter how much I play, there's still two gameplay mechanics I don't understand, so I thought I might as well ask.

1-Coalitions: I get what they do, but I don't know how to start them or join them (I know you get an event asking you to support the guy, but I don't always get it). I have been on the receiving end of one from Cao Cao though (FOR ONCE I HAD DEFEATED YUAN SHAO WITH GONGSUN ZAN AND HE RUINS EVERYTHING!) Anyway, I'm wondering how a coalition starts and a target get selected. Is it linked to Threat percentage? Can they work if I have defensive pacts deactivated?
2-So the Emperor keeps opening times for recommendation, and I can recommand people to the court. I never understood what it did. Can you explain?

• 1Like
Reactions:
So no matter how much I play, there's still two gameplay mechanics I don't understand, so I thought I might as well ask.

1-Coalitions: I get what they do, but I don't know how to start them or join them (I know you get an event asking you to support the guy, but I don't always get it). I have been on the receiving end of one from Cao Cao though (FOR ONCE I HAD DEFEATED YUAN SHAO WITH GONGSUN ZAN AND HE RUINS EVERYTHING!) Anyway, I'm wondering how a coalition starts and a target get selected. Is it linked to Threat percentage? Can they work if I have defensive pacts deactivated?
2-So the Emperor keeps opening times for recommendation, and I can recommand people to the court. I never understood what it did. Can you explain?

Coalitions can be started based on your prestige/title rank. Characters with Destined trait (Cao Cao, Yuan Shao, etc.) have a lower prestige threshhold.

Coalitions can be formed against Tyrants or powerful characters (Emperor, Chancellor, or King/Governor) with too little piety.

There are 3 ways people get into the Imperial court. Either 1) becoming a Tiger Guard, and joining the Emperor's Guard under the Imperial Captain, 2) becoming a concubine in the Imperial Harem under the Empress, and 3) having people take the Imperial examination to serve directly under either the Chancellor, or the Emperor if no chancellor exists.

For the purposes of continuing the Dynasty, sending heirs for Imperial examinations can be a mixed bag. If they do well, they may gain a high rank, if not, they may amount to nothing. But! If you are a Magistrate and don't have land to immediately grant your heirs, it's probably better to roll the dice on the Imperial Exams.

Tiger Guards are requested specifically. To send a candidate to be either a bureaucrat or a concubine, go to that character's individual diplomacy screen. There you can have them "take the Imperial Exams" or "become a court lady/man".

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm starting an AAR with the mod so I thought now was the time or never to ask for these questions.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks! I'm starting an AAR with the mod so I thought now was the time or never to ask for these questions.

Mate, you can always ask any questions. Like I always say... There were many ideas I wanted to implement in this mod, but was unable to due to the limitations of either the engine, or my scripting abilities. My biggest qualm is with the Western inheritance system, which really fails to capture what happened in the East (and even in the Byzantine Empire and Central Asia). My deepest hope is that CK3 will add Non-Western systems in a DLC, but as it stands now, CK3 is even MORE Westernized than CK2 ever was.

Reactions:
Well, I actually have another mechanic question then. Marquis, Dukes and Kings. As emperor I can give these titles, but not to everyone and not always. How does it work? What determines who I can give it to?

Also, yeah, CK3 is quite eurocentric right now in term of mechanics (especially christian centric from what I saw). But it's not like CK2 was better at launch. Heck, we could ONLY play christians when CK2 came out. So all we can do is hope for good DLCs.

Last edited:
I have three questions about this otherwise awesome mod:

1. Can the concubines in the harem become pregnant? As an Emperor I often got the choice to sleep with one of them but no one ever bore my child.

2. I looked up the destined characters in my game (which started in 190 and has been going for 31 years) and I found one who was 26 years old. Is there an event for characters to become destined?

3. This Tan Zhihan, a tiny lord in the middle of China, has uncountable friends and 8 lovers when you start the game. Is this meant to be so or is it an easter egg? I can't find anything about him on internet?

I think I can answer the first two, but JaceX will have to confirm.
  1. Yes, it does produce kids. Sleeping with the just doesn't garantee they have a kid, especially if they are old (once had most of my concubines over 40 without realizing)
  2. From my experience, new characters randomly pop up with the destined trait. Probably to keep the game interesting post start date.

Well, I actually have another mechanic question then. Marquis, Dukes and Kings. As emperor I can give these titles, but not to everyone and not always. How does it work? What determines who I can give it to?

There are preconditions on who you can give these titles to. They must a certain amount of prestige/piety/influence AND you need the proper amount of CASH to make it happen. Can't just be awarding random peasants a royal title!

I have three questions about this otherwise awesome mod:

1. Can the concubines in the harem become pregnant? As an Emperor I often got the choice to sleep with one of them but no one ever bore my child.

2. I looked up the destined characters in my game (which started in 190 and has been going for 31 years) and I found one who was 26 years old. Is there an event for characters to become destined?

3. This Tan Zhihan, a tiny lord in the middle of China, has uncountable friends and 8 lovers when you start the game. Is this meant to be so or is it an easter egg? I can't find anything about him on internet?

1. Yes. Zamarak is correct.

2. There are destined characters throughout history, all of them play some key importance in past, current, or future bookmarks. For example, Liu Bei's heir, Liu Shan, was destined to survive crazy conflicts and even accidents to become Emperor. The Destined trait is really there to add SURVIVABILITY and event tracking to characters. Certan historical events occur with Destined as a condition. Destined does not occur randomly or via event.

3. Tan Zhi Han is me. OP character placement. The friends and family members are various friends and family who wanted to be in the game. The lovers are my exes. :( Several of them happened during the making of this mod. I kept myself a low rank so that it wouldn't impact the game too much, but whenever I play, I play myself. :]

Reactions: