• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You're welcome! And I'm glad this is still noticed and useful to people.
As I wrote in the OP, credit is appreciated but not required, as this isn't a fully realized mod and more of a technical demonstration (the icon is also just adapted from vanilla, can't claim any artistic originality there). So absolutely, go ahead and use whatever you need.
It indeed is quite flexible, the only constraint probably being that it can only show one colour per province at a time. But it's the next best thing since we can't have truly moddable mapmodes still.

Thank you very much. It will be a major quality of life improvement for my mod.

It really is a nice feature. I noticed you can use dynamic localization commmands in the description that you get when you hover over provinces too. That allows quite a bit of flexibility in the use of the map, even if you can only get one colour per province.

Well, you only get 1 color per province, but if you can show 2 variables. Say you have 2 variables, each of which is broken into 3 ranges. Pick 9 colors that mix say light, medium, or dark red with light, medium, or dark cyan. This will yield:

x1 x2 x3
dark dark med
y1 grey red red

dark med pastel
y2 cyan grey red

pastel
y3 cyan cyan white

Might take some practice reading it reliably. Also, mixing levels of 3 primary colors (RGB or CMY) would let you represent 3 variables at once.

@LordPeter, I recall your having mentioned that the method used in the Poker Kings mod, which hijacks the offmap power interface, might prove useful for implementing map modes (maybe as an alternative to the councilor action?). I've been wanting to poke around in that mod to see what's going on, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Have you?

w/r/t colors, I have found the following website useful:
http://colorbrewer2.org

@LordPeter, I recall your having mentioned that the method used in the Poker Kings mod, which hijacks the offmap power interface, might prove useful for implementing map modes (maybe as an alternative to the councilor action?). I've been wanting to poke around in that mod to see what's going on, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Have you?

w/r/t colors, I have found the following website useful:
http://colorbrewer2.org
No, I'm afraid I didn't have time yet to look into offmap power modding at all.
And given that I am now heavily involved in CK2+ development, I don't think I will get back to that idea. Just not enough time to work on different projects.
But thanks for that link, that is indeed useful for people seeking to make some more mapmodes!