• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The religion graphical cultures are used for the map shields, the spiritual councillor and the temple icons, The other parts wouldn't match well. The mixup with Africans is an old error in the province icons file.
Are you sure about that? As far as I'm aware, the map shields are set by religion/religion group and the councilor is just a localization typically set by culture. For instance, I just used my text editor to search through all the vanilla files for reference to "persiangfx" and it's literally only in the following:
  • 00_graphicalculturetype.txt where it's defined
  • 00_cultures.txt and 00_religions.txt where it's referenced when it's applied to cultures and religions respectively
  • persian_units.gfx where it defines the models persian cultured armies
  • portraits_persian.gfx where it defines what persian people look like
  • province.gfx where it defines the holding picture used (which, for the most part, are set by culturalgfx rather than the religiongfx even for the temples)
  • 00_customizable_localisation.txt where it seems to be used to determine a description used in text.

Are you sure about that? As far as I'm aware, the map shields are set by religion/religion group and the councilor is just a localization typically set by culture. For instance, I just used my text editor to search through all the vanilla files for reference to "persiangfx" and it's literally only in the following:
  • 00_graphicalculturetype.txt where it's defined
  • 00_cultures.txt and 00_religions.txt where it's referenced when it's applied to cultures and religions respectively
  • persian_units.gfx where it defines the models persian cultured armies
  • portraits_persian.gfx where it defines what persian people look like
  • province.gfx where it defines the holding picture used (which, for the most part, are set by culturalgfx rather than the religiongfx even for the temples)
  • 00_customizable_localisation.txt where it seems to be used to determine a description used in text.
Zoroastrian/persiangfx doesn't have much defined by default but I have added those in mods. For the councillor I was referring to the character model rather than the name.

Zoroastrian/persiangfx doesn't have much defined by default but I have added those in mods. For the councillor I was referring to the character model rather than the name.
So, let me ask you this then. Do you think it would be worth the time to create new religiongfx entries instead of reusing the same ones from culturegfx? So, for instance, christiangfx with the subgroups catholicgfx, orthodoxgfx, miaphysitegfx, and nestoriangfx instead of westerngfx, easterngfx, africangfx, and persiangfx.

So, let me ask you this then. Do you think it would be worth the time to create new religiongfx entries instead of reusing the same ones from culturegfx? So, for instance, christiangfx with the subgroups catholicgfx, orthodoxgfx, miaphysitegfx, and nestoriangfx instead of westerngfx, easterngfx, africangfx, and persiangfx.
Overlap with the cultures isn't a problem, just the overlap with other religions.
So miaphysitegfx can be used, or an unrelated use of southerngfx to stick with the cardinal directions theme. Making a black skinned priest for them wouldn't be too hard. I personally don't have plans for Nestorians different from Orthodoxy.

Ah, this is great. I've been meaning to get back into modding now that all the major patches are behind us, and something like this would make small modular mods a lot more feasible.

Again, I think having the religious branches on separate graphical cultures is good to have, but the approach of replacing everything else is just breaking compatibility without any upsides. As far as I'm aware of using the same graphical culture type for a culture and a religion does not have any side effects.
As far as I'm concerned, human readability is an upside. But I do take your point. If I can't get it working the way I want it to (and, right now, it doesn't look like I will be able to) I'll go back to the vanilla method. It just currently bothers me that I can't tell what is set by religion and what is set by culture without digging.

Last edited:
When you say you'll fix everything, does that also include the myriad of botched character & title history entries?
Depends on what you mean by that. We're going to clean up the history files, but I'd consider adjusting the files to be historically accurate to be out of scope.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I mean in terms of Validator issues. Disconnected members in dynasties, etc.
Ah then yes that's within what we plan on doing. I believe the end goal is for the Validator to come back clean when run using CleanSlate as a base.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Ah then yes that's within what we plan on doing. I believe the end goal is for the Validator to come back clean when run using CleanSlate as a base.
Okay, I've already started doing so with characters (about halfway). I don't think it's possible for the Validator to come back clean unless you remove actual historically accurate things. The Validator asks you to check every 100+ year old, yet there were a few that historically did reach over 100 in-game. Same goes for underaged marriages (especially in the later start dates) that are both historically accurate and not actual problems.

And let's not forget that there are soooooo many issues that would need more than 10 other edits to make sense. Some would need new characters which would make it more of a history mod than a fix. It's a can of worms.

Okay, I've already started doing so with characters (about halfway). I don't think it's possible for the Validator to come back clean unless you remove actual historically accurate things. The Validator asks you to check every 100+ year old, yet there were a few that historically did reach over 100 in-game. Same goes for underaged marriages (especially in the later start dates) that are both historically accurate and not actual problems.

And let's not forget that there are soooooo many issues that would need more than 10 other edits to make sense. Some would need new characters which would make it more of a history mod than a fix. It's a can of worms.
I should clarify, by "clean" I meant "relatively clean" lol

just a minor suggestion, that would really help mod compatability with regards to succession and government modding (probably other things to), would it be possible for you to add a "NOT = { has_flag = some_flag }" to the potential sections.
I believe governments are one part we already finished. Feel free to take a look and see what you think of how they're organized. (@Whizzer please correct me if I'm wrong?)

Just been looking at the github, and god fucking damn it’s so much easier to parse. Thank you for the hard work, if Paradox doesn’t offer you guys a job after all this it would be a damn shame.

I'm looking for an opinion. From a usability standpoint, would it be easier for everyone if we split landed_titles into several files based on title-tier and assigned the de-jure liege solely in History, or is the current vanilla method (default de jure being defined in landed_titles with history files overwriting) preferred?

No, not vanilla overriding method. It has some limitations(color, foa...),
while splitting landed_title.txt into thousands files could be unintuitive on filename.

Despite of that, I vote for splitting landed titles by de-jure, duke tier, and splitting all the others separately.
(Or by 769 de-jure emperor tier, if by duke tier is too time-consuming and tedious for you devs.

Last edited: