[MOD] [Released as reduced version] Jozef's Falatu Rasnal/Etruscan Sky

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Herrebrugh

Wtghegheven by die met minnen verſaemt.
78 Badges
Apr 23, 2011
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Darkest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
GUOHhqq.png

Etruscan Sky
kaart.png

Broken up Etruscan map
Alalia is a puppet of Fufluna, Pisna and Visul are Etruscan cities outside of the League​

I am currently working on an Etruscan mod that is much more extensive than my earlier one, Jozef's Immersive Etruria. The idea is as follows:

Etruria was never centralised enough for it to be represented as a single nation. Etruscan League members vied with eachother for power, and for two to be at war with eachother was entirely possible. This means that the single nation Etruria in this game is inadequate if you want to authentically represent the Etruscans. Similarly inadequate is, once you have broken Etruria up into city states, having the Etruscan League be represented as an in-game defensive league, as defensive league members cannot wage war among themselves. The map I've made is based on a map included in the book "The Etruscan World", compiled by Jean MacIntosh Turfa (Figure 18.1). It doesn't mention a (rough) date, so I'm not sure how accurate it is for 304 BCE, but a map is better than no map.

In my mod, the Etruscan League is a loose coalition of Etruscan city states, who meet every five years (in reality annually) at the Fanu Velthas, a sacred grove near Velzna/Volsinii, for a religious festival. This festival also had a political dimension, as it was here that the Zilaths (leaders) of the Etruscan League elected a Zilath Mechl Rasnal. In my mod, it will be sort of a political lobbying event where you can put questions (eg. stop the war of Fufluna against Vatluna) before the league.

At the end of the meeting at the Fanu Velthas, a Zilath Mechl Rasnal is elected from among them: every Zilath gets to cast one vote for another Zilath. The winning character will then be Zilath Mechl Rasnal for the remainder of his term as Zilath of his city state (the Zilath of the winning city state is simply always Zilath Mechl Rasnal until the next vote).

Similar to the Holy Roman Empire in EU IV, the League has a defined territory. There are two levels of league territory: the Spura and the Methlum. The Spura is the core territory of the Etruscan city state. That is to say, this is where the actual city is situated. The Methlum represents smaller territories that are under the control of City States. So the city state of Fufluna has, in its capital city of Fufluna, the modifier "Tular Spurana Fuflunas" (Borders of the City State of Fufluna), and in its controlled territory of Ilva (the island off the coast) the modifier "Methlum Spurethi Fuflunas" (Town within the City State of Fufluna).

Naamloos.png

Spura modifier

Naamloos2.png

Methlum modifier

According to Etruscan religious doctrine, the sky god Tinia owned all of the land of Etruria. Knowing the human greed and lust for the land of others, he let the plains and fields be measured and delimited with border stones. Whoever would violate, touch or move the stones would be doomed by the gods. For my mod, this means that violating the borders of another city state will make you disreputable within League. Taking a province with another's border stones (Tular Spurana) will give you an opinion malus with all other member city states, and they will all have a casus belli on you. Taking over a Methlum is less of a problem, though still not popular. You will receive a small opinion malus with all other member city states, and the former owner gets a casus belli on you. The Spurana modifier will be replaced 50 years after capture, the Methlum modifier 10 years after capture. Foreign peoples who violate the borders of the Etruscan League will get a large opinion malus and a casus belli from every member of the Etruscan League, regardless of whether this was a Spura or a Methlum. They will also become open as a target for a combined military incursion, where a coalition of League members will attempt to restore their common borders.

A way of attaining power over other city states without angering the gods, is by making other city states your vassal. You may also be able to force your vassals to vote the same as you at the Fanu Velthas, but I want to counter this with a score that determines the actual power of the league. When it essentially becomes a one-man-show, with a single city state swaying the vote every time, this obviously won't go unnoticed by the other members, and they will think about splitting or leaving entirely (though this all depends on whether I can get it to work, this likely won't be in the 1.0 version anyway).

At this time, the cities of the League were all republics: they had one or two elected Zilaths at the head of the state. Though, at times cities could "regress" (in the general view of the Etruscans) into monarchy. I want to represent this by having certain characters be aiming for the throne of their Spura, which, if successful, will lead to friction within the League (opinion mali and possible wars to restore republican rule and expulsion).

Other aspects I'm thinking of are the ability to centralise into a single Etruria. You can simply conquer all of Etruria and found it by decision, or you can attain power by political means (maybe directly by vote, or gradually by passing certain "laws" that give more power to the League and the Zilath Mechl Rasnal, but I'm not sure yet).

Finally, all atmospheric adjustments from my other mod will also be added to this one. As such, Etruscan will also be in the Tyrsenic culture group, for the simple reason that otherwise you can't give the Etruscans custom office titles and Etruscan characters will get Latin names. I will also add several custom flags based on coins found in the respective cities, and I may give characters tomb-stones as character modifiers when they die, in Etruscan with an English translation (example: "Tarchi Nufre Tarchial, clan Satlnei Apatruial. Zilath Mechl Rasnal, Zilachnu Spurethi Fuflunas cezpz - Tarchi Nufre Tarchisson, son of Satlnei Apatrui. Zilath Mechl Rasnal and was Zilath of the City of Fufluna for eight times").

vlag.png

Example of a custom flag: the flag of Vatluna, based on an Etruscan coin design

This is still in very early development. The reason I am opening a topic about this already is so I can hear possible suggestions early, and I just want to give some inspiration to others.

The development of this mod also depends on my progress in "The Etruscan World", compiled by Jean MacIntosh Turfa, as it's my main basis for this mod. The Etruscan texts have been written using "De Etrusken spreken" by R.S.P. Beekes and L.B. van der Meer, and can very well be wrong or inaccurate.

Last edited:
I have released a reduced version of the above on Steam, Jozef's Split Etruria. I'm not making new mods for Imperator: Rome, as I simply stopped enjoying the game and disagree with some (more or less fundamental) design decisions.

I also came to the conclusion that I wouldn't realistically be able to keep a mod of this size updated for new game versions, though that's of course not the issue currently.

People are very welcome to use this post as inspiration, and I'd be willing to think along with someone wanting to make this a full-fledged mod; I won't be the one doing it, however.

• 1Like
Reactions: