• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jaidenhaze

Second Lieutenant
21 Badges
Mar 25, 2018
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders III
  • BATTLETECH
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Magicka
Hey guys, it's time for my version of the weapon balance mod after i played through the entire campaign. I uploaded it to the Nexus and also wanted to post it here:

The Weapon Rebalance Mod has some minor changes to weapon values to make them more balanced to each other. It reduces the power of extremely good weapons while underpowered weapons like the PPC, Large Laser or LRM10 are buffed to a reasonable level.

Link: Nexusmods

If you played any BattleTech or Mechwarrior game (TableTop or digital) you know, that some weapons are simply better. While some adjustments where made in BattleTech (HBS), they still have their faults. This mod will make them more equal, so you are not forced to run 7-8 Medium Laser with SRMs.

How to install
1) Locate your BattleTech game folder - usually its at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common or your SteamLibrary and open it.
2) copypaste the folder named BattleTech_Data (from the mod folder) into the BattleTech game folder. Say Yes, Replace all to the replace-dialog.
3) If you want to uninstall the mod, just copypaste the files in the Backup folder, they have the default value. (Right now, no Mod Manager support BattleTech, so this is the easiest method)

Versions
I added a version of the mod that does not have the added Medium and Small Laser nerfs, since a few people asked about that. Just choose one at the download-page. Have fun :)

Mod Changelist
Small Laser: -5 Dmg, -2 Heat
Medium Laser: -5 Dmg
PPC: +5 Dmg, -5 Heat
Large Laser: +5 Dmg, -5 Heat
SRM4: +2 Heat
LRM10: -2 Heat
LRM15: -1 Heat

This mod also changed all + weapons with a similar value. Pulse and ER-Models got adjusted as well, but retain their specific uniqueness.

Pulse compared to Base Model: +5 damage, +5 Accuracy
ER Model compared to Base Model: +25% Crit Chance, increased Range (60 Meter with Small Laser, Medium and Large 90)

This link shows you all weapon values on a Google Spreadsheet.

Why these changes?
In the base game, weapons like the PPC or Large Laser are simply not good enough, since their high heat and low damage values don't justify taking them over their counterparts. Why would you pick a 2 PPCs with 90 damage total if you could literally take 3 AC/5s for the same weight, and do 45 damage more?

This mod tries to make some weapon choices more similar to each other. For this, I used the base tonnage, 1t of ammo (if available) and the amount of Single Heat Sinks needed for Heat Neutrality to adjust them. Now, some weapons may have a counterpart in another class. These pairings are the following:

Small Laser / MG - Around 10 Damage per adjusted weight with 15 damage each, with a higher Crit rate and projectile count for MGs and a better Accuracy with Small Laser

Medium Laser / SRM2 - Around 4 Damage per adjusted weight with 16-20 damage. Medium Lasers still have the higher damage, which only changes if you take a lot of SRM2s.

Laser Laser / AC5 - Around 3.5 Damage per adjusted weight with 45 damage. AC5 has more range and Stab damage, while the Large Laser has a better Hit Chance

PPC / AC10 - Around 3 Damage per adjusted weight with 55 or 60 Damage per shot. The PPC has lower normal and stab damage, but has a nice 5% hit debuff for the enemy and a higher range.

SRM4, LRM10 and LRM15 - They are not a group of similar weapons, but their values got adjusted because they are outlier in their line.

Is this mod savegame-friendly?
Yes. Just follow the instructions. :)

Known Issues?
Not to my knowledge but i guess, every mod that touches the changed files will overwrite them and i did not include any weapons that are part of the main game. If you would add a weapon like Clan-Weaponry or other, mission weapons like the ER Medium or ER Small Lasers, they are not supported.

Changelog
1.1 - Fixed some faulty values with ER and Pulse Models
1.0b - added another variant of the mod that excludes the nerfs to Medium and Small Lasers as well new heat value for Pulse versions of these two Lasers. Pulse Laser do +5 damage, but generate 5 additional heat compared to the base model, while ER models have just a higher range while also generating 5 additional heat.
1.0 - Initial release

Last edited:
You can make changes to the files even with a campaign in progress and they will refect the changes. (As long as you aren't actually in the game when you change things, of course.) Just won't be able to play multiplayer unless other people have the same changes, as far as I know.

You can make changes to the files even with a campaign in progress and they will refect the changes. (As long as you aren't actually in the game when you change things, of course.) Just won't be able to play multiplayer unless other people have the same changes, as far as I know.
I didnt test it in Multiplayer, right now i'd not use any mods in MP. Thats one of the reasons why i included the vanilla files, so you could swap them very easily until we have a decent Mod Manager that does it for you.

I would actually wish for a weapon balance mod that is true to the CBT damage and heat values. But your mod goes in the right direction I think.

edit: Nvm, just did it myself. :p

Last edited:
This rebalance mod is just what I was looking for. Will try it out right away (the no nerf edition).

Thanks a lot for making and sharing this, Jaidenhaze!

No, I finished mine, noticed that an even better version existed (the one you linked to) and refrained from publishing it. ;)

edit: Huh, apparently he made a mistake. One would still have to adjust
.../CombatGameConstants.json
"InternalHeatSinkCount": 10,
"DefaultHeatSinkDissipationCapacity": 3,
to 5, then it would be correct again. Seems mine was correct after all. But going with 5 instead of 3 is better, since it is more lore-friendly to have dmg = heat output on a PPC ;)

Last edited:
I hope it's okay for me to post this here as well (if not, let me know!), but I noticed a small bug. The Ceres Arms PPC+ - the one that has +15 stability damage - only has 22 damage instead of 55. I suspect it's a typo. Other than that I didn't notice any issues (and from what I've seen this mod really helps to make PPCs and LLs more useful, finally!). :)

I hope it's okay for me to post this here as well (if not, let me know!), but I noticed a small bug. The Ceres Arms PPC+ - the one that has +15 stability damage - only has 22 damage instead of 55. I suspect it's a typo. Other than that I didn't notice any issues (and from what I've seen this mod really helps to make PPCs and LLs more useful, finally!). :)
I saw it and i already fixed it. Thanks for the report. Have a nice day :)

I saw it and i already fixed it. Thanks for the report. Have a nice day :)

Thank you so much! Now that's what I call quick. :D

Truth be told, even though the modding potential for this game seems amazing, I didn't want to add any mods until I've been through the story campaign... But your mod is just so essential in my opinion I simply couldn't resist trying it out. And I certainly don't want to go back now!

Thank you so much! Now that's what I call quick. :D

Truth be told, even though the modding potential for this game seems amazing, I didn't want to add any mods until I've been through the story campaign... But your mod is just so essential in my opinion I simply couldn't resist trying it out. And I certainly don't want to go back now!

I waited with modding until i was done with the campaign, which was quite a ride. But especially at the end you realize, just how broken some Stock loadouts are without the proper heat values for Large Lasers or PPCs. Mechs like the Awesome dont feel threatening at all if you play with Bulwark since their damage is so low and their heat cap is reached so easily. But now i had the pleasure to fight against 8 Assaults with some more support and it was truly a difficult 40 minute battle.

I think i dont understand your question. The AI values are not touched here. There are other modders who tackle this part. I mean - the AI uses the global weapon values. A hostile Mech has the exact same weapons as you. But the intelligence of the AI is still the same, since i dont make them more capable.

I hope you understand me because i dont know if i answered correctly.

Does it annoy anyone else that the heat/missile is not constant over the different launcher sizes? And it's not strictly decreasing in size either?

I'm also a little annoyed at the weight/missile differences but that seems a bit trickier since it affects mech loadouts.