[Mod Release] JK_SUCKos : Star System Coordinates Mod + Optional 16 new systems

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Justin Kase

Lt. General
44 Badges
Feb 28, 2018
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Island Bound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
For my fellow cartographers out there, I modded the starsystem files so they match up to the Sarna Unified Cartography Society coordinates.

Please note - there is nothing wrong with the map in the game as presented. There is just a slight shifting that occurred as various map sources were used in making the map for the game.

In total, I adjusted 159 of the files (including duplicate systems) to be in line with the Sarna coords. This necessitated also adjusting 2 of the HBS systems to keep their intended Jump paths intact ( Balawat and Tarragona), otherwise I just left the HBS systems with the coordinates the game provided.

This most recent version is now meant to be loaded into the BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\mods\ folder - though it could still be dropped right into the BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\starsystems folder if you don't want to mess with changing the VersionManifest.csv

NOTE : PLEASE be sure to backup your older starsystem folder prior to copying these files in. The mod folder contains the 161 files I editted. But, just in case, I also copied up the current starsystem folder under starsystem -orig , so it is easy to undo.

In my experience, the change of coordinates does not impact game play, just OCD aesthetics for those of us used to the Sarna maps.

NOTHING ELSE was edited on these files. I didn't change any descriptions or anything else, with 1 exception - the starsystemdef_Camadeirre file was editted to have the correct system name appear in game (Camadeierre).

Thank you to Volt - who sent me the systems in map format and I did a screen print from within the game and inversed it for easier viewing (see the images page) - all the systems match up nicely. The HBS systems are a bit offset from the locations they extrapolated.

*** WARNING : In addition to the base mod, there is the option to add 16 new star systems to the game map. These will ONLY show up if you start a new campaign (though I have also seen them appear during game map changes on some occasions). If you remove the mod after starting a campaign with these systems it will not work (as it looks for those star systems). Also, the map borders get distorted, I am still trying to figure that part out.

In order to add the new star systems, you will need to modify the MetadataDatabase.db file (it is a very easy edit, and a MDD file will be included in the next version of the mod).

Last edited:
Version 1.04 is out

PLEASE NOTE : The Patch for Version 1.04 of the BattleTech game is now out. Unlike previous patches, this does not appear to make any changes to the VersionManifest.csv or MetadataDatabase.db files. So these mod files will also work when applied to BattleTech1.03.

*** Warning : to use the extra 16 planets, you will need to edit/replace the MetadataDatabase.db file - we don't know what sort of lasting effect this might have. If you choose to do a full uninstall of this mod at a future date, any campaign that is using the 16 new systems will be unusable - as the game will look for these systems as part of the map. ***

*** Additional Note : The 1.04 version of the Mod is dependent on having BATTLETECH Patch 1.04, to keep with versioning. The VersionManifest.csv and MetadataDatabase.db files I provide within the Mod are based off those files. You can still manually add the lines to both using the information provided within the Mod. Sorry to anyone I confused. ***

All star systems are now adjusted to the Sarna listed system coordinates - which is as close to the game maps as is possible. Once installed, the new star system coordinates will become noticeable as soon as you look at the star map. The easiest way to tell if your map has adjusted, is to look at the Camadeierre star system (in Taurian space). If it is spelled CAMADEIERRE, you are good to go. If it is spelled CAMADEIRRE

The 16 new planets have all been adjusted and work in Campaign mode - but you will only see them if you start a completely new campaign. Existing campaigns will not see them at all.

Please continue to report issues and suggested 'Mechs to add in - thank you all!!!

Link to Nexus mod :
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/24?tab=description

*squawk*

Last edited:
If the above link doesn't work, please try this : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WRr5k_rxlYn1Z7RYJzGCktp0jrfM5Td8?usp=sharing

Thank you to @Volt - he sent me the systems in map format and I did a screen print from within the game - all the systems match up nicely. The HBS systems are a bit offset from the locations they extrapolated.

The green box shows the limits of the game map.

Yellow systems are not yet in the game (I have been able to mod them in, but I can't figure out how to make them appear on the map itself yet). The Orange system could also be added (it is right on the border). The two systems circled in red are special cases - the left being Alamsgordo, the right is Haydes Cluster. I'd be tempted to rewrite the Haydes Cluster as the Menion system and just eliminate it as a location.

The dashed red line was a bad jump route (over 30LY) - as mentioned, I had to move Tarragona to make it work.

thumbnail2.png

hey JK! wrong Volt hehe that name's already taken so I had to use "\" and "/" to make the "V"

if you need help mining reference data for your mod let me know, I might be able to help you there. I'd be interested in figuring out how to add and remove systems in the map too. And possibly even expanding the map's range.

Wish the game would eventually allow placement of generic random or placeholder systems/recharge stations to get around the 30LY limit. I'd like to be able to visit Strana Mechty someday.

DAMN.... ok credit to @\/olt then ;)

I'll be looking into the star systems this week again.

I was able to get them added into the manifest without error - and I think I added them correctly to the SQL DB - but I still couldn't see the new systems on the map.

Let me know if you think any of the other HBS system locations should be further adjusted back in line with your SUCKos coords, or if I should just keep the HBS coords. (I didn't have the latest SUCKos for the HBS stuff - sorry!)

When I was attempting to add the new systems, yes, I added in the VM files as well. I also went into the SQL DB to add it in there.

I am planning to test it out again today/tonight, so we'll see if maybe it was just an issue with the BETA.

Added Star System : Woogi - I'm excited :)

I think the issue I have been encountering is that the System does not appear in a WIP Campaign, only in a new campaign.

Will have to test more later.

Woogi.png

EDIT: ...and a place holder for Parian now!

Parian.png

Last edited:
Looks like I will be adding 16 systems at this point :

• Banfora - Minor colony settled by Capellans and later taken by FWL
  • Borgan's Rift -During the twilight years of the Star League, Borgan's Rift hosted to a SLDF garrison in system. During the Succession Wars the system suffered horribly from the crippling of interstellar economies and became a common target for pirates in the region.
  • Butzfleth -Settled by Canopian's just prior to the Reunification War, it was quickly claimed in turn by the Free Worlds League during that struggle. The world has since prospered, but has a strong independence streak amogst the mixed Andurien and decended Canopian populous.
  • Ina - A once vibrant world that was located within the Hyades Cluster, Ina suffered greatly during the Succession Wars and is all but abandoned now.
  • Itzehoe - A fringe Canopian colony world, Itzehoe was
  • Jacson - Protected by Warrior House Lu Sann's 2nd Battalion
  • Leyda - Once a staging world for the SLDF during the Reunification War,
  • Luxen - A former province capital, Luxen is one of the few worlds to have escaped the horrors of the Succession Wars. It is home to the Canopian Medical Sciences Research and Training Complex, which trains the lion's share of the skilled medical personnel with the Magistracy. It is also known for its supply of gemstones and precious metals.
  • Mas - Originally known for their textile exports, Mas is now all but abandoned. In the last survey of the world, Nui-Hipi (a sheep like megafauna) outnumbered people 24 to 1.
  • Megaris - One of the original founding worlds of the Taurian Concordat, Megaris has become a center for scientific research, particularly in the field of geology and microgravity.
  • Menion -
  • Ordino -
  • Palm - During the waning years of the Star League, Palm was the home of a SLDF garrison.
  • Parian -
  • Sadurni - Long known for the quality of its marble and skilled stoneworkers, and once the headquarters of the SLDF's 7th Army, Sadurni was recently taken from the Capellan Confederation by the Free Worlds League. With the signing of the Concord of Kapteyn, it has remained in League hands, but is still a point of contention between the two states and the planet is in turmoil. There are rumors that the Free Worlds Intelligence agency (SAFE) has strong involvement on planet.
  • Woogi - The Solar Shade protecting Woogi from its intensely bright sun was damaged during the Second Succession War, making the planet unlivable. The planet is now scorched and the atmosphere has long since boiled away.

woah nice! I think i'll restart my campaign just to get those on the map.
though because I have self-induced OCD, I might point out that Banfora, Butzfleth, Ina, Itzehoe, Leyda, Mas, Megaris, Menion, Ordino, Parian and Woogi were all abandoned by 3025. Unless, of course it's possible to make those systems "independent" systems in-game? It's completely in-lore possible that these systems still existed, it's just that ComStar took them out because the population/tech/etc was considered insignificant. It's been known in-lore that some prospectors and other entities still do visit "dead" systems.

... scratch that. The map gets weirdly distorted to work with the larger space, which messes up the borders.

I can certainly add systems, but the map background is getting funky :p

Last edited:
woah nice! I think i'll restart my campaign just to get those on the map.
though because I have self-induced OCD, I might point out that Banfora, Butzfleth, Ina, Itzehoe, Leyda, Mas, Megaris, Menion, Ordino, Parian and Woogi were all abandoned by 3025. Unless, of course it's possible to make those systems "independent" systems in-game? It's completely in-lore possible that these systems still existed, it's just that ComStar took them out because the population/tech/etc was considered insignificant. It's been known in-lore that some prospectors and other entities still do visit "dead" systems.

Many of the systems in the game are 'abandoned' based on the map info we have.

Most of them are low or no population now, as noted in the various descriptions, so I was going to follow that same pattern.

Butzfleth is currently an active system from what I could see.

I am doing testing, but to some degree it looks like it is stretching a pre-defined map background/overlay. But at the same time it looks like it draws it based on the radius around the planet.

Its driving me a bit nuts...

Even when I add a system that is well within the original map borders (like Parian), a distortion appears on the opposite side of the map.

So - on the good news side:
  • I can add new systems
  • Jump points are automatically figured out based on distance (I assume a built in formula)
It seems like it notices the faction assigned to it - as I accidentally left a Taurian assignment to a system I placed in Marik space - but at the same time, it also appears like the map may be static for each phase of the game.

More research to do - which is sadly quite time consuming as I have to restart a new campaign in order to see the changes.

Here is an example of the weirdness that occurs when I added Parian.

NOTE : I then added in Leyda as well - as it sits right in the blank spot, thinking it might help to draw the borders in. You can clearly see it in the 'red' area.

Weird Marik Space.png

Here is a sample of the hiring hall at Leyda (I clicked on the planet details in the upper right corner of the shop)

Adrenaline.png

Last edited:
Adjusted the mod to point to the mods folder so as not to overwrite the data files (though that is still the easier option) - I will post it by the weekend. Just playing around a bit more with adding more systems.

Was able to get some nice screen shots.

Here you can see both the 'red' border dipping into FWL space, and that Zathras is now on the FWL border instead of open space.
Drift_Zathras.png

Here is another example of how wonky the borders get - with a chunk taken out of the CC/FS border and more worlds that are stuck 'on the border'. Destination is 'Yurris', which is a CC system, but is showing as FS. The CC/AC border also has some issues with Aurigan systems drifting onto the borderline. Keen observers will also notice the extra systems in the Taurian sector.

Drift_Yuris.png

Maybe someone like @HBS_Eck can help (please!) - the moment I add even 1 extra starsystem to the VersionManifest (and the database), it begins to warp the overall map borders.

Are the borders hard set, or do they 'draw' themselves based on faction ownership? If they are drawing, any idea what causes the distortions? I have tried even copying a standard file and only changing the coords and name and it still causes the problem.

Anyway, hope someone might give me a breadcrumb trail to follow here ;)

Oh - and here a re the 10 new systems:

StarSystem_Banfora.png

StarSystem_Ina.png

StarSystem_Itzehoe.png

StarSystem_Leyda.png

StarSystem_Mas.png

StarSystem_Megaris.png

StarSystem_Menion.png

StarSystem_Ordino.png

StarSystem_Parian.png

StarSystem_Woogi.png

..and an overlay with several of the new systems within Flannagan's Nebulea
(note : the white star system to the left of Menion is "Flannagan's Nebulea" as a system. I am thinking about modding that to become Menion instead and shifting the coordinates)

Flannagan's Nebulea.png

Last edited:
Posting this in the open forum area, as I am hoping to hit a broader audience on this - I will then ask @Havamal / @stjobe (or another mod) to move / merge it into the sub forum this weekend.

I have been working on modding in new star systems, but the borders seem to warp a bit as I add the systems in.

Just to be safe (and make sure I didn't mess something up in the file) I even copied an existing system, changed the name by 1 letter, and adjusted the map coordinates by 1 degree on X/Y coords and it still caused weird border shifts.

Is anyone else playing around with adding star systems?

Drift_Yuris.png
The above is an example showing the distortion effect along the FS/CC border.

Thanks - in advance - for any help.

Last edited: