[MOD] Regional Immersion and Cultural Enrichment - a cultural flavor pack collection, sequel to Cybrxkhan’s Immersion Packs

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Time for another quick preview of the Tarim Basin Flavor Pack, including content to be discussed in the first of two or three dev diaries for this update which will hopefully be posted later this weekend.

First is one of the potential gifts the Tang court might regularly give you if you decided to send a hostage to them - think of these as little boosts to help you in the very early game. Second, because most of the previews so far have been Dunhuang-centric, here's some non-Dunhuang content, specifically one of several new special buildings that will be in the region.

UeGiJjw.jpg

WDDGoPT.jpg

• 5Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Tarim Basin Dev Diary (Part 1): Dunhuang Flavor

Time for the first of three dev diaries for the Tarim Basin Flavor Pack! Each will focus on one of the three "legs" planned for this flavor pack: Dunhuang and the Gansu corridor; Khotan and the southern Tarim Basin; and the Tocharians and the northern Tarim Basin.

Today's dev diary will cover Dunhuang. Though some of this content is adapted from my Dunhuang mod for CK2, much of it has been changed and revamped.

Silk Road Dynasty Legacy

Before I go into Dunhuang, I’ll start with the Silk Road dynasty legacy, which covers a similar niche to RICE’s existing Maritime Trade and the Trans-Saharan dynasty legacies. It is available to anyone in inland Central and East Asia, including the Tarim Basin. Besides basic economic and diplomatic bonuses, there are also a number of perks related to various decisions and mechanics coming with the Tarim Basin flavor pack.
  • Transmission of Faiths
  • Envoys and Explorers
  • Caravan Networks
  • Assimilation of Foreign Art
  • Diverse Peoples and Cultures

r/CrusaderKings - RICE Mod Dev Diary #21 - Tarim Basin Flavor Pack (Part 1): Dunhuang and Silk Road Additions

Mogao Caves

If you played my Dunhuang mod for CK2, you'll recall it had a decision to Patronize a Mogao Cave. Now, its back, with some changes. It is available once a lifetime to every Buddhist or ruler of various Chinese and Eastern heritages who have territory in the Kingdom of Xia, and grants you a lot of prestige and piety, if you can afford it. The Mogao Caves are a spectacular network of religious structures carved around Dunhuang from the 4th century to the 14th century - over a millennia - and are some of the finest medieval Buddhist artwork around the world.

r/CrusaderKings - RICE Mod Dev Diary #21 - Tarim Basin Flavor Pack (Part 1): Dunhuang and Silk Road Additions

When taking the decision, you'll first choose what kind of cave you want to patronize - will the cave’s artwork focus on your family, Jataka Tales (Buddhist fables), or religious figures? These will respectively net more prestige, more piety, or a balance between both, when the event chain is done. All three featured in most caves in real life, but there are trends in which some types of art were more popular than others at certain times.

Following this, you can choose how big the cave will be - the bigger it is, the bigger the rewards. After these initial decisions, it'll take about a year for your cave to finish. During this time, various flavor events might occur, including the possibility to make the cave even bigger than normal. Once the cave's done, you’ll get your prestige, piety, and character modifier.

The Silk Road dynasty legacies also help with this decision. Assimilation of Foreign Art will increase the bonuses from the cave, and Diverse Peoples and Cultures makes the decision cheaper, and allows for anyone in the Tarim Basin to access it as well (instead of just the Gansu region).

Lastly, there is also a Mogao Caves building in the barony of Mogao.

Wenmo Culture

A new culture, the Wenmo, has been added in 867. Also known as the Wamo or Hunmo, they were descendants of slaves of Chinese origin and other ethnicities in Gansu under Tibetans during the Tibetan occupation. They developed their own identity that has been described as analogous to Creole or Maroon populations in the Americas.

The Wenmo are depicted as a hybrid culture in Liangzhou, and have a fictitious ruler in the southern edge of the Guiyi Circuit to represent their political semi-autonomy. They were a thorn in the side of the Guiyi Circuit for years, before they teamed up with local Tibetans to create an independent state around Liangzhou in the 880s.

Historical Characters in Dunhuang

While working on the Dunhuang mod for CK2 was fun, looking back there are decisions I made I now disagree with, and some of the research was incomplete. Building on that foundation, the Tarim Basin flavor pack will feature an improved historical setup for the region, particularly the Guiyi Circuit in 867.

Vanilla's fictitious Chinese characters have been removed, and replaced with historical officials or major figures from the powerful clans of Dunhuang who had dominated the region's politics since the Han dynasty. I have taken liberties with who rules what, as the game is simply not designed to depict non-feudal, formally non-hereditary systems of governance. My main goal is to give a couple of clans significant internal power, and several also come with a unique dynasty modifier. The clans of interest who get unique modifiers, include the following (though there are others too):
  • Cao: The clan that eventually overthrew Zhang rule over Guiyi in 914 CE
  • (Longxi) Li: Cousins of the Tang Emperors, descended from the famous general Li Guang
  • Suo: The Suos would usurp Guiyi for a few years led by Suo Xun (under uncertain circumstances)
  • Yin: A clan that came to Dunhuang when their ancestor Yin Dan fled there after the fall of the Han Dynasty
  • Zhai: The most important member Zhai was Zhai Fengda, a calendarist and Guiyi’s court astronomer in the 10th century

Zhang Yichao

There’s now a bit of flavor associated with Zhang Yichao, a Chinese statesman and general whose rebellion ended Tibetan rule over Dunhuang after almost a century; he nominally restored Tang control to the Gansu Corridor in the mid-800s. In vanilla, his nephew Huaishen starts off ruling the area, which isn't wrong per se. Historically, Yichao decided to send himself as hostage to the Tang Dynasty in 867 after his older brother, the previous hostage, died. This however can't be depicted with current game mechanics so Yichao awkwardly sits in Dunhuang in vanilla.

To somewhat depict the historical situation, at game start, if playing as Huaishen, you'll choose whether to agree to your uncle's plan to send himself as hostage. If he goes to China (represented by him "dying"), he might be able to convince the Tang court to provide assistance to restore order to the region, in the form of occasional events that give financial and military aid for ten or so years. On the other hand, in the absence of a capable, unifying figure, Dunhuang's elite clans might get uppity, and they’ll get weak claims on your title. If Guiyi is no longer held by a Zhang while Zhang Yichao is “alive” then the Tang will consider Dunhuang a lost cause due to political instability and refuse to provide any more support.

If you don't want to send your uncle over and lose him, you have other options. You can send Huaishen as the hostage, whereupon Yichao will resume control of Guiyi. This will still allow you to reap similar benefits, but they won't be as powerful.

The last option is to simply not send any hostage at all (and return control to Zhang Yichao). This will anger the Tang, who see this as defiance to their authority. Thankfully, the Tang are too weak to do anything about it, but it may reflect poorly on you. Plus, you won't get any events in the early game to help give Guiyi a boost.

Either way, once Zhang Yichao dies (if he becomes a hostage, you'll be notified of his offscreen "death" via an event sometime in the 870s), the situation will get tense, as any major Chinese clan in Guiyi (i.e. duchy tier vassal) will get a strong claim on the kingdom.

One thing I noticed when reading about Zhang Yichao was his seeming knack for managing the ambitions of the local clans and keeping them in line. Historically, the Suos usurped the Guiyi Circuit for a couple years in the 890s followed by the Li, before the Zhang regained control (only for the Cao to come to power circa 911). The circumstances of these shifts in leadership are unclear as to if they were coups, peaceful transfers through political arrangement, or something else, but they do reveal the power these clans held locally.

Miscellaneous

That concludes today’s run-down on Dunhuang! Be on the lookout for next dev diary in the near future which will go into the other inhabitants of the Tarim Basin proper and other new features.

Selected Sources for Further Reading

• 6Love
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Really exciting. I´m looking forward to it very much, considering that this is one of my favorite regions in the game. It also looks even more polished and detailed than usual!

The system of patronizing the mogao caves looks amazing. And i also really enjoy your reprensentation of the political uncertainity in the region by adding claims to the various clans and by involving the tang.

I´m looking forward to the rest of the flavor pack- And once it drops i will start a new playthrough in the region yet again!

Though, admittedly, i´m not that huge a fan of the permanent blood line modifiers. While i really like that they expound on the history of the family in question, the bonuses they grant, at last the one seen on the Suo, look pretty substantial and a bit too powerful.

I wonder whether the bonus granted should be slightly toned down or if the families in question should instead start with one fitting dynastic legacy unlocked, to represent their "speciality". An event message could pop up at the beginning of the game, explaining some of the history and relationships in the region, instead.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Super cool! That's one of my favourite locations to play!

Thanks!

Really exciting. I´m looking forward to it very much, considering that this is one of my favorite regions in the game. It also looks even more polished and detailed than usual!

The system of patronizing the mogao caves looks amazing. And i also really enjoy your reprensentation of the political uncertainity in the region by adding claims to the various clans and by involving the tang.

I´m looking forward to the rest of the flavor pack- And once it drops i will start a new playthrough in the region yet again!

Though, admittedly, i´m not that huge a fan of the permanent blood line modifiers. While i really like that they expound on the history of the family in question, the bonuses they grant, at last the one seen on the Suo, look pretty substantial and a bit too powerful.

I wonder whether the bonus granted should be slightly toned down or if the families in question should instead start with one fitting dynastic legacy unlocked, to represent their "speciality". An event message could pop up at the beginning of the game, explaining some of the history and relationships in the region, instead.

Thanks! Concerning the blood line modifiers, they are subject to change and the current version is a bit powerful indeed so they will be tweaked to be less powerful later. Dunhuang politics and society was pretty much monopolized by a few elite Han clans since the Han Dynasty all the way to the Song Dynasty, so I thought it was fitting they get a little nod to that that way rather than have something generic.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Time for a quick preview of Tocharian flavor in the Tarim Basin Flavor Pack! First, though, I'll quickly mention that I hope to finish this update a few weeks before Fate of Iberia comes out, so you'll have a time to enjoy RICE's new content before the DLC drops.

Anyways, today, we travel to Kucha, a center of trade and leisure in its heyday as a Tocharian city-state. A new Tocharian decision, based on Kuchean new year festivities, lets you stage animal fights to predict future harvests. Kucha had a reputation (true or not) as being something of a medieval Las Vegas party town, represented in-game as a county modifier. Its musicians and courtesans were famed as far away as China; Chinese poets raved about courtesans from these regions, such as in this poem by Li Bai, one of the greatest Chinese poets:

The Western courtesan with features like a flow
Stands by the wine warmer and laughs with the breath of sprin
Dancing in a dress of sheer silk gauze, she as
“You won’t be going anywhere, sir, surely not before you are drunk?”

j5GoJkS.jpg

8FDrJsy.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Tarim Basin Dev Diary (Part 2): Tocharian Flavor

This dev diary is part 2 of 3 covering RICE’s upcoming, chunky Tarim Basin flavor pack - today, we’ll cover the Tocharians in the northern part of the Tarim Basin and other miscellany (the third and last dev diary, hopefully in about a week, will cover Khotan and the southern Tarim Basin). Please note a lot of this is WIP and subject to change.

For those who haven’t seen my previews on discord, I'll quickly mention that I hope to finish this update a few weeks before Fate of Iberia comes out, so that you'll have a time to enjoy RICE's new content before the DLC drops and everyone focuses on Iberia instead.

Lop Nur

On the eastern edge of the Tarim Basin proper is a largely dried up lake called Lop Nur. In antiquity, the lake was lush and even supported forests and was home to Krorän, a flourishing Tocharian kingdom which is also known as Loulan and later Shanshan in Chinese sources, and was a major trade center along the Silk Road. However, around the 4th to 6th centuries, it suffered a severe dry period that caused the kingdom to decline significantly. Centuries later, the famous Chinese pilgrim Xuanzang described much of former Loulan as abandoned and desolate. For centuries up until now, the lake’s water levels have fluctuated, but gradually declined and the region never returned to its former glory.

r/CrusaderKings - RICE Mod Dev Diary #22 - Tarim Basin Flavor Pack (Part 2): Tocharians, Silk Road Musicians, and More!

To represent this environmental history, counties around Lop Nur all get a county modifier, Fluctuating Lake Levels at Lop Nur, that has a few minor negative effects. These counties include Charkliq, Loulan, Miran, and Kumtag, which form the Duchy of Charkliq.

r/CrusaderKings - RICE Mod Dev Diary #22 - Tarim Basin Flavor Pack (Part 2): Tocharians, Silk Road Musicians, and More!

If you are playing with The Fallen Eagle, there’s more, as the 395 CE bookmark is smack dab during the kingdom’s decline as mentioned above. Counties in the Duchy of Charkliq/Shanshan instead start with the Dry Period at Lop Nur county modifier, which has real brutal debuffs. If you play in the Kingdom of Shanshan, it will cripple you. There’s sort of good news, however. At some point in the late 5th or early 6th centuries, a random event will trigger to change the modifier to the default Fluctuating Lake Levels modifier. Not great, of course, but it’ll make things more manageable.

Prophetic Animal Fights

Characters of Tocharian culture or a Tocharian descended culture of Tocharian heritage have access to a decision to Stage Animal Fights to Predict the Harvest. It can be done at the start of the calendar year, before April.

Historically, the people of Kucha, one of the most influential Tocharian city-states at its height, had a custom of staging large animal fights at the beginning of the year. These games and competitions would be used to predict the results of the harvest or the fertility of herds.

As such, after taking this decision, you'll choose what kind of animal fights to focus on, with different personal bonuses and county modifiers your capital can gain in the subsequent events if there is a positive outcome. For example, if you focus on horses, your capital might get a boost in levy reinforcement or you might get slightly increased martial and prowess for a while.

Kizil Caves and Bezeklik Caves

Two new special buildings have been added in the Tocharian region: the Kizil Caves in Kucha, and the Bezeklik Caves in Bezeklik (in Toksun). Though not as extensive or remarkable as their counterparts in Dunhuang, the Mogao Caves, they are still two of the more notable Buddhist cave systems in the region, and are thus represented this way.

The Kizil Caves were one of the earlier cave complexes in the region, while the Bezeklik Caves are arguably the foremost example of Uighur Buddhist religious art and worship.

Silk Road Communities

Now onto something broader in scope. A new decision, Reinforce Relations with Silk Road Communities, is available to most rulers in Asia and the Middle East. Taking the decision lets you choose to work on improving your relationship with one of five ethnic/cultural groups in your realm, each giving you a distinct character modifier for 10 years. It wasn’t unheard of for people of different origins to travel across the so-called Silk Road to settle in distant lands - sometimes voluntarily, sometimes under duress, sometimes with no choice. As a result of this, ideas, beliefs, art styles, customs, words, and more were exchanged, the legacy of which still remains today, even if it isn’t readily apparent at first.

Anyways, this decision can only be taken once unless if your dynasty has the Caravan Networks dynasty legacy (discussed in the previous dev diary), or the Cosmopolitan Ports legacy from the Maritime Trade legacy track already in RICE.

As for the decision’s effects, the choice of community isn’t just for a simple modifier, either. While the modifier you chose is active, you have a chance of receiving various boons from the communities. These usually come via flavor events and can vary from a nice bit of gold or piety, to free courtiers and troops, and different communities offer different advantages. Each community also unlocks a unique, simple decision that gives further advantages for a price.

The five groups, and their associated decisions, are:

• East Asian: Bring In Chinese Specialists
  • Steppe: Recruit Steppe Warriors
  • Middle Eastern: Bring in Middle Eastern Merchant Settlers
  • Himalayan: Recruit Himalayan Warriors
  • Indian: Bring in Indian Artisans
In the future, if I have time, I may add in alternative groups for parts of the Indian Ocean.

(For those who played the CK2 Dunhuang mod, this is similar to the Dunhuang Communities decision but now applied to a wider scope.)

Silk Road Entertainers

Although the so-called Silk Road is most often associated with silk, many other products were traded, and at times, silk might not have even been the most valued commodity. One such product was people - not just slaves, but skilled people like entertainers. Diplomacy often relied on exchanges of people to demonstrate one’s status and authority - a truly powerful king or queen is one who can control the lives of such talents.

To represent this, there is a new character interaction, Present Skilled Silk Road Entertainers. It is available to anyone whose dynasty has the Envoys and Explorers dynasty legacy (from the new Silk Road legacy track mentioned in the previous dev diary), or the Cosmopolitan Ports legacy from the Maritime Trade legacy track already in RICE. Like other similar character interactions already in RICE, you’ll pay some gold to gain some prestige and dynasty prestige, and the recipient gets an increased opinion of you and a character modifier, Exotic Silk Road Entertainers, for 10 years.

Owners of the county of Kucha and their lieges have a special variation of this character interaction called Present Skilled Kuchean Entertainers. It gives better bonuses than the normal version.

Historically, during the Tang period, Kucha had a reputation (true or not) as being something of a medieval Las Vegas party town. Its musicians and courtesans were famed as far away as China, and Chinese poets raved about courtesans from these regions, such as in this poem by Li Bai, one of the greatest Chinese poets:

The Western courtesan with features like a flower
Stands by the wine warmer and laughs with the breath of spring.
Dancing in a dress of sheer silk gauze, she asks
“You won’t be going anywhere, sir, surely not before you are drunk?”

Interestingly, Li Bai was born a little north of the Tarim Basin, in modern-day Kyrgyzstan in the city of Suyab, a Sogdian trading settlement turned Tang Dynasty outpost.

Anyways, to additionally represent Kucha’s fame as a leisure town, the county of Kucha is now given a county modifier, Kuchean Music, which gives a slight boost to tax income.

Anyhow, events revolving around the aftermath of these gifts are planned - for instance, an entertainer might rise to prominence in your court, or you might consider gifting a beautiful slave musician to a courtier infatuated with her. However, at the moment, I am not sure if I’ll be able to code it in time, so this may come in a future update down the line.

Gagaku

Before I end this, I’'ll take a little detour to talk about Silk Road music. This is the last section so feel free to skip it as it’s fluff, but I think the history is too fascinating to pass up.

A couple songs in the next RICE update are of Japanese origin. What does this have to do with the Silk Road and Tarim Basin? A lot more than one might initially think. Centuries ago, music from Iranian regions like Kucha spread across the Silk Road to China; from there, it spread to Korea, then Japan, where some of these songs became part of the repertoire of imperial court music known as Gagaku, passed down from teacher to student for generations. Gagaku has changed over the centuries, as most notably, it became slower and slower as it was increasingly formalized; much of the original music could be danced to quite vigorously, by contrast.

Still, some Gagaku songs are one of our few remaining, unbroken links to the actual music of the Silk Road. Overall, Gagaku can be very much an acquired taste as it sounds a little harsh to the modern ear, but close one’s eyes, and one can perhaps get a haunting glimpse of a world long gone.

I’ll end this dev diary with an example of gagaku music and dance on Youtube, specifically Togaku, a Gagaku subgenre derived from Tang dynasty music:

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Tarim Basin Dev Diary (Part 2): Tocharian Flavor

This dev diary is part 2 of 3 covering RICE’s upcoming, chunky Tarim Basin flavor pack - today, we’ll cover the Tocharians in the northern part of the Tarim Basin and other miscellany (the third and last dev diary, hopefully in about a week, will cover Khotan and the southern Tarim Basin). Please note a lot of this is WIP and subject to change.

For those who haven’t seen my previews on discord, I'll quickly mention that I hope to finish this update a few weeks before Fate of Iberia comes out, so that you'll have a time to enjoy RICE's new content before the DLC drops and everyone focuses on Iberia instead.

Lop Nur

On the eastern edge of the Tarim Basin proper is a largely dried up lake called Lop Nur. In antiquity, the lake was lush and even supported forests and was home to Krorän, a flourishing Tocharian kingdom which is also known as Loulan and later Shanshan in Chinese sources, and was a major trade center along the Silk Road. However, around the 4th to 6th centuries, it suffered a severe dry period that caused the kingdom to decline significantly. Centuries later, the famous Chinese pilgrim Xuanzang described much of former Loulan as abandoned and desolate. For centuries up until now, the lake’s water levels have fluctuated, but gradually declined and the region never returned to its former glory.

To represent this environmental history, counties around Lop Nur all get a county modifier, Fluctuating Lake Levels at Lop Nur, that has a few minor negative effects. These counties include Charkliq, Loulan, Miran, and Kumtag, which form the Duchy of Charkliq.

If you are playing with The Fallen Eagle, there’s more, as the 395 CE bookmark is smack dab during the kingdom’s decline as mentioned above. Counties in the Duchy of Charkliq/Shanshan instead start with the Dry Period at Lop Nur county modifier, which has real brutal debuffs. If you play in the Kingdom of Shanshan, it will cripple you. There’s sort of good news, however. At some point in the late 5th or early 6th centuries, a random event will trigger to change the modifier to the default Fluctuating Lake Levels modifier. Not great, of course, but it’ll make things more manageable.

Prophetic Animal Fights

Characters of Tocharian culture or a Tocharian descended culture of Tocharian heritage have access to a decision to Stage Animal Fights to Predict the Harvest. It can be done at the start of the calendar year, before April.

Historically, the people of Kucha, one of the most influential Tocharian city-states at its height, had a custom of staging large animal fights at the beginning of the year. These games and competitions would be used to predict the results of the harvest or the fertility of herds.

As such, after taking this decision, you'll choose what kind of animal fights to focus on, with different personal bonuses and county modifiers your capital can gain in the subsequent events if there is a positive outcome. For example, if you focus on horses, your capital might get a boost in levy reinforcement or you might get slightly increased martial and prowess for a while.

Kizil Caves and Bezeklik Caves

Two new special buildings have been added in the Tocharian region: the Kizil Caves in Kucha, and the Bezeklik Caves in Bezeklik (in Toksun). Though not as extensive or remarkable as their counterparts in Dunhuang, the Mogao Caves, they are still two of the more notable Buddhist cave systems in the region, and are thus represented this way.

The Kizil Caves were one of the earlier cave complexes in the region, while the Bezeklik Caves are arguably the foremost example of Uighur Buddhist religious art and worship.

Silk Road Communities

Now onto something broader in scope. A new decision, Reinforce Relations with Silk Road Communities, is available to most rulers in Asia and the Middle East. Taking the decision lets you choose to work on improving your relationship with one of five ethnic/cultural groups in your realm, each giving you a distinct character modifier for 10 years. It wasn’t unheard of for people of different origins to travel across the so-called Silk Road to settle in distant lands - sometimes voluntarily, sometimes under duress, sometimes with no choice. As a result of this, ideas, beliefs, art styles, customs, words, and more were exchanged, the legacy of which still remains today, even if it isn’t readily apparent at first.

Anyways, this decision can only be taken once unless if your dynasty has the Caravan Networks dynasty legacy (discussed in the previous dev diary), or the Cosmopolitan Ports legacy from the Maritime Trade legacy track already in RICE.

As for the decision’s effects, the choice of community isn’t just for a simple modifier, either. While the modifier you chose is active, you have a chance of receiving various boons from the communities. These usually come via flavor events and can vary from a nice bit of gold or piety, to free courtiers and troops, and different communities offer different advantages. Each community also unlocks a unique, simple decision that gives further advantages for a price.

The five groups, and their associated decisions, are:

• East Asian: Bring In Chinese Specialists
  • Steppe: Recruit Steppe Warriors
  • Middle Eastern: Bring in Middle Eastern Merchant Settlers
  • Himalayan: Recruit Himalayan Warriors
  • Indian: Bring in Indian Artisans
In the future, if I have time, I may add in alternative groups for parts of the Indian Ocean.

(For those who played the CK2 Dunhuang mod, this is similar to the Dunhuang Communities decision but now applied to a wider scope.)

Silk Road Entertainers

Although the so-called Silk Road is most often associated with silk, many other products were traded, and at times, silk might not have even been the most valued commodity. One such product was people - not just slaves, but skilled people like entertainers. Diplomacy often relied on exchanges of people to demonstrate one’s status and authority - a truly powerful king or queen is one who can control the lives of such talents.

To represent this, there is a new character interaction, Present Skilled Silk Road Entertainers. It is available to anyone whose dynasty has the Envoys and Explorers dynasty legacy (from the new Silk Road legacy track mentioned in the previous dev diary), or the Cosmopolitan Ports legacy from the Maritime Trade legacy track already in RICE. Like other similar character interactions already in RICE, you’ll pay some gold to gain some prestige and dynasty prestige, and the recipient gets an increased opinion of you and a character modifier, Exotic Silk Road Entertainers, for 10 years.

Owners of the county of Kucha and their lieges have a special variation of this character interaction called Present Skilled Kuchean Entertainers. It gives better bonuses than the normal version.

Historically, during the Tang period, Kucha had a reputation (true or not) as being something of a medieval Las Vegas party town. Its musicians and courtesans were famed as far away as China, and Chinese poets raved about courtesans from these regions, such as in this poem by Li Bai, one of the greatest Chinese poets:

Interestingly, Li Bai was born a little north of the Tarim Basin, in modern-day Kyrgyzstan in the city of Suyab, a Sogdian trading settlement turned Tang Dynasty outpost.

Anyways, to additionally represent Kucha’s fame as a leisure town, the county of Kucha is now given a county modifier, Kuchean Music, which gives a slight boost to tax income.

Anyhow, events revolving around the aftermath of these gifts are planned - for instance, an entertainer might rise to prominence in your court, or you might consider gifting a beautiful slave musician to a courtier infatuated with her. However, at the moment, I am not sure if I’ll be able to code it in time, so this may come in a future update down the line.

Gagaku

Before I end this, I’'ll take a little detour to talk about Silk Road music. This is the last section so feel free to skip it as it’s fluff, but I think the history is too fascinating to pass up.

A couple songs in the next RICE update are of Japanese origin. What does this have to do with the Silk Road and Tarim Basin? A lot more than one might initially think. Centuries ago, music from Iranian regions like Kucha spread across the Silk Road to China; from there, it spread to Korea, then Japan, where some of these songs became part of the repertoire of imperial court music known as Gagaku, passed down from teacher to student for generations. Gagaku has changed over the centuries, as most notably, it became slower and slower as it was increasingly formalized; much of the original music could be danced to quite vigorously, by contrast.

Still, some Gagaku songs are one of our few remaining, unbroken links to the actual music of the Silk Road. Overall, Gagaku can be very much an acquired taste as it sounds a little harsh to the modern ear, but close one’s eyes, and one can perhaps get a haunting glimpse of a world long gone.

I’ll end this dev diary with an example of gagaku music and dance on Youtube, specifically Togaku, a Gagaku subgenre derived from Tang dynasty music:

No love for the 1066 start? :(

No love for the 1066 start? :(

Most of this stuff will still be available in the 1066 start date as well - the Tocharian specific content (which is just the animal fight decision, really) might just be a bit harder to access since they're gone from the map by default. While it isn't on the table for the upcoming update since I don't think I'll have time right now, in the future I want to add in proper Uighur and maybe Tangut/Xixia content as a fourth and fifth "legs" of the Tarim Basin flavor pack which would mean more content relevant to 1066. Tarim Basin is intended to be a "flagship" flavor pack like Pamir and Socotra that just keeps growing nonsensically lol.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Most of this stuff will still be available in the 1066 start date as well - the Tocharian specific content (which is just the animal fight decision, really) might just be a bit harder to access since they're gone from the map by default. While it isn't on the table for the upcoming update since I don't think I'll have time right now, in the future I want to add in proper Uighur and maybe Tangut/Xixia content as a fourth and fifth "legs" of the Tarim Basin flavor pack which would mean more content relevant to 1066. Tarim Basin is intended to be a "flagship" flavor pack like Pamir and Socotra that just keeps growing nonsensically lol.
Thank you for the quick response!!
I consider your mod as one of the CK3 essentials, I don't play the game without it! :p

• 2Like
Reactions:
Time for another preview - I am proud to announce RICE's upcoming update will finally feature the ability to play as a ruler in CHINA!

From a certain point of view, that is.

My previous previews and dev diaries on the Tarim Basin Flavor Pack have focused mostly on 867 and pre-Islamic cultures. However, there will be some 1066 flavor related to the Karakhanids, as can be seen in the preview screenshots below. What does this have to do with China?

The Tarim Basin was considered a core part of China in medieval Muslim geography, so the Karakhanids who ruled there often took honorary titles such as Sultan of China. Since China was idealized by medieval Muslims as a model society, this was likely a political ploy on the Karakhanids' part, and is now represented with a new decision.

The second screenshot shows another bit of flavor for a new playable Karakhanid: al-Kashgari, a scholar whose magnum opus was the first Turkic dictionary, Diwan Lughat al-Turk.

gQ8D36h.jpg

8jtb6NH.jpg

• 2Love
Reactions:
My excitement continues to grow. :)

One small question/idea, though:

Will the decision to network with the silk road communities influence the cultural acceptance between the involved cultures? I don´t know how easy it is to mod this, but think that this would make some sense and would intertwine these two systems.

Reactions:
My excitement continues to grow. :)

One small question/idea, though:

Will the decision to network with the silk road communities influence the cultural acceptance between the involved cultures? I don´t know how easy it is to mod this, but think that this would make some sense and would intertwine these two systems.

That hadn't occurred to me, actually, but I think it would make sense! I'd have to figure out how to do it for groups of cultures rather than one specific culture, but I think it can be done.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Time for a preview of Khotan content coming with the Tarim Basin Flavor Pack! More details will be in this update's third and final dev diary which I'll hopefully post in a couple days.

Much of the new Khotan flavor has to do with Buddhism (and goes nicely with some features of the Magadha Flavor Pack). According to legend, when the Buddha visited the future site of Khotan, he instructed 8 deities to watch over the city - so long as the locals stayed true to the Buddhist teachings, the Eight Protectors would protect Khotan. These eight featured heavily in Khotanese art, literature, architecture, and politics.

As recorded in sources such as the Chinese pilgrim and monk Faxian c. 400 CE, the most important Buddhist event in Khotan was the annual procession of Buddhist images, which lasted 14 days and involved many of the city's prominent monasteries.

All in all, for centuries, Khotan was a major center of Buddhist culture and learning that influenced other strands of East and Central Asian Buddhism - can you ensure it stays that way, or will you disappoint and be abandoned by the Eight Protectors?

97RDYFT.jpg

T44XLGI.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Tarim Basin Dev Diary (Part 3): Khotan and Karakhanid Flavor

This dev diary is the last of 3 covering RICE’s upcoming Tarim Basin flavor pack - today, we’ll cover the various remaining miscellany, mostly related to the southern Tarim Basin like Khotan and the Karakhanids. Do note a lot of this is WIP.

My ETA for release is about a week and a half - hopefully enough time to enjoy these features before Fate of Iberia comes out. Like always, feel free to also check my discord and mods’ website for more information, teasers, and previews!

Silk Road Cultural Tradition

There is now a new cultural tradition, People of the Silk Road, that is given to the Sogdian, Saka, and Tocharian cultures by default (and the Bactrians if playing with The Fallen Eagle). It’s also available to other cultures as long as you’re in the Silk Road region, which roughly encompasses much of Asia on the map.

r/CrusaderKings - RICE Mod Dev Diary #23 - Tarim Basin Flavor Pack (Part 3): Khotan, Kara-Khanids, and other Silk Road flavor!

The tradition has several diplomatic and economic bonuses, interacts with a variety of features added in the Tarim Basin Flavor Pack, and provides an alternative way to access some benefits of the Silk Road dynasty legacies mentioned in the first dev diary.

Eight Protectors of Khotan

Khotan was once a major center of Buddhism in the world, and Khotanese Buddhism was a major influence on Tibetan and Chinese Buddhism (and all of East Asian Buddhism, by extension). According to the Chinese pilgrim and monk Faxian, who passed by Khotan c. 400 CE, the kingdom was full of Mahayana Buddhist monasteries and monks, and its largest monastery, Gomati, had over 3000 monks.

To represent this history, Buddhist rulers of Khotan will be granted a character modifier, Eight Protectors, in early start dates. In Khotanese legend, when the Buddha visited the future site of Khotan, he prophesied it would someday become a great Buddhist kingdom and instructed eight deities to watch over the future city - as long as the locals stayed true to the Buddhist teachings, these eight would ensure that Khotan never fell.

r/CrusaderKings - RICE Mod Dev Diary #23 - Tarim Basin Flavor Pack (Part 3): Khotan, Kara-Khanids, and other Silk Road flavor!

However, if Khotan loses its status as a center of Buddhism, the Eight Protectors modifier can become permanently inaccessible and never given to another ruler again. This will only happen via an event that triggers if Khotan is ruled by a non-Buddhist hostile to Buddhist teachings. Afterwards, Khotanese religious refugees - especially monks - might show up in nearby courts for the next few decades.

Historically, the Muslim Karakhanids and the Buddhist Kingdom of Khotan waged war against each other for several decades, with the Karakhanids only succeeding in conquering Khotan around 1006 CE. The region quickly Islamicized and Turkified, and its Buddhist history forgotten - so much that for centuries afterwards, for example, some Tibetan monks and scholars mistakenly assumed Khotan meant Nepal in Buddhist texts.

Annual Procession of Images

As mentioned in records such as Faxian’s, the most important religious festivity in Khotan was an annual procession of Buddhist images lasting two weeks and involving all of the city’s major monasteries.

As such, besides the existing plethora of decisions available to Buddhists with the Magadha Flavor Pack, any Buddhist ruler near Khotan can take the decision to Participate in Khotan’s Annual Procession. It also requires that the current ruler of the county of Khotan be Buddhist and that you are not with them (if you don't own Khotan).

The decision plays out similarly to other festival type decisions added by RICE, with a chance of receiving various events related to Khotanese mythology and spiritual beliefs. There is also a chance you’ll get blessings from the Eight Protectors of Khotan at the end.

Jade Deposits

Jade has likely been traded along the Silk Road longer than silk, ironically enough, as early as neolithic times. As indigenous Chinese sources of jade became increasingly depleted early on, Khotan, which had - and still has - significant jade deposits, became a major exporter of jade. The importance and value of jade in East Asian cultures cannot be overstated, and jade brought in much profit to Khotan.

There is now a new Khotanese Jade Deposits building in the barony of Bugaiwilik that is functionally like other mines. (It is placed in Bugaiwilik and not Khotan proper since the barony of Khotan, as a holy site, has a holy biulding slot.)

Become China (Sort Of)

Now we move onto the Karakhanids, for some Muslim flavor for the Tarim Basin.

While the Maritime Silk Roads was the main highway of medieval Old World trade, this doesn’t mean the old land Silk Road simply disintegrated. If anything, the latter has been neglected by previous scholarship as newer research into the Karakhanids suggests the land routes were still relevant in between the Tang and Mongol periods, continuing to facilitate exchange of goods, people, and ideas, and the memory of Tang China’s splendor was very much a thing.

For example, many Karakhanid rulers adopted titles such as Sultan of China, and this is now reflected in-game via a decision to Become Khan and Sultan of China. Available n the 867 (or TFE) bookmarks to non-Chinese Muslims who own some territory in the Tarim Basin, taking this decision grants your dynasty the appropriately named Khans and Sultans of China dynasty modifier. In 1066, the Karakhanids already start with this modifier.

In some medieval Islamic geography, the Tarim Basin was considered a former part of China. Furthermore, medieval Muslims saw China as an ideal society of just, cultured, prosperous people who produced fine goods. Karakhanid claims - which might otherwise seem absurd to us - make sense as a way to enhance their international prestige among fellow Muslims.

Do note someone in your family needs to actually control at least one county in Tang China's Western Protectorate, or else an event will trigger and make your dynasty lose the modifier permanently as no one will take your claim to be a fake ruler in China seriously otherwise.

Ordam Mazar

In the 1066 start date, Muslims on the southern end of the Tarim Basin will have access to a decision to Attend the Ordam Mazar Festival. Mazars are tombs of Islamic imams, saints, martyrs, and other holy figures. In the Tarim Basin, they became sites of pilgrimage and festivity following the region’s Turkification and Islamization. Anyways, this is a standard festival decision.

The Ordam Mazar is the biggest Uyghur mazar festival, traditionally held every year in Kashgar at the tomb of a Karakhanid leader, Ali Arslan Khan, who died fighting the Khotanese in 998 CE. There are many legends associated with him and his mother Maryam such as how his father was supposedly the archangel Gabriel.

Al-Kashgari

The last bit of Karakhanid flavor has to do with the scholar Mahmud al-Kashgari, who might have been from a distant branch of the Karakhanids. He now exists as a Karakhanid count in 1066 with a unique character modifier, The Proud Turkic Lexicographer.

Kashgari was an intrepid, well-traveled scholar, whose magnum opus was the first Turkic dictionary, Diwan Lughat al-Turk. Besides its linguistic relevance, it also documents useful information on history, geography, religion, and more of the period. In fact, some academic sources I've used for RICE have quoted Kashgari.

Anyways, there is now a decision to Compile the First Turkic Dictionary. It is available to anyone with a culture that is early medieval and speaks Shaz Turkic, and who has decent diplomacy and learning. However, Kashgari can bypass all these requirements and gets first dibs on this decision - in other words, no one else can do it while he is still alive.

The decision gives you a minor debuff for a few years as you work on the book, but once you’re done, you get a nice amount of prestige as well as a book artifact, Dīwān Lughāt al-Turk. Your liege, top liege, and religious head (should any of them exist) will also get copies as well. If you die partway through, as long as you have an heir, worry not! Your heir will still receive a copy of the book, though it will be of lower quality and its bonuses will be weaker.

Sinicize as a West Asian

The final thing to cover is a new way for some to convert to Han culture, via a decision to Sinicize as a West Asian. It requires you to own land in the Silk Road region, have a culture with the People of the Silk Road tradition, and either have a liege or top liege with a culture of Chinese heritage, or have a capital that is such.

Anyways, it differs from the usual decision to convert to a local culture in that you, and any close family or courtiers who decide to convert with you, also receive a Recently Sincized modifier that slightly improves your diplomacy, prestige gain, and opinion from Han characters for 10 years. It also gives a little prestige.

When you take the decision, you can choose a new Chinese name (this is optional).

In antiquity and medieval times, Persians, Tocharians, Arabs, and other Western “barbarians” lived in China in sizeable numbers, with some rising to high status in Chinese society. For example, some added new rulers in Guiyi/Dunhuang are prominent officials of Sogdian origin. The near collapse of the Tang dynasty from the rebellion of the Tang general An Lushan, of Sogdian ancestry himself, spurred many Westerners to assimilate even more in order to distance themselves from him publicly, as another example.

Miscellaneous

This concludes the last dev diary for the upcoming flavor pack, Tarim Basin: Cities of the Silk Road, though I'll continue to showcase more previews on my Discord. This looks like it'll possibly rival Pamir/Zunist as the largest flavor pack ever for RICE, and my ETA for release is about a week and a half - hopefully enough time to enjoy these features before Fate of Iberia comes out.

As this is intended as the next “flagship” flavor pack alongside Pamir and Socotra, I'll add more Tarim Basin content in the long-term, such as for the Uyghurs and Western Xia. Tarim Basin flavor is something I’ve dreamt of doing as far back as when I modded CK2, due to my lifelong interest in the history of the Silk Road - this update is a superficial, surface level romp through the region (there’s plenty of academic research out there to study!) but I hope you’ll find it enjoyable to explore as well.

Khotanese Buddhism

Other Khotanese History
Kara-Khanids and Islam
Kashgar
Miscellaneous

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I absolutely adore the work you put into this.

I´ve also been fascinated in the silk road, and the tarim basin, for a long time and this mod will add so much to such an interesting location.

It´s also very nice to hear that you plan to add further udpates to the region; I´m sure that there´s a trove of wealth and fun yet to be added!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hi, @cybrxkhan love your mod it is really great and completely transforms the game. Just a quick note in your Scarborough fair dev diaries you wrote that Beverley was in Lincolnshire when it is actually in the East Riding. I don't know if this affects gameplay at all but the inner pedant and Yorkshireman in me couldn't let this stand ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I absolutely adore the work you put into this.

I´ve also been fascinated in the silk road, and the tarim basin, for a long time and this mod will add so much to such an interesting location.

It´s also very nice to hear that you plan to add further udpates to the region; I´m sure that there´s a trove of wealth and fun yet to be added!

Thanks! I'm expecting Tarim Basin to be the chunkiest area in terms of content from RICE in the long run, so hopefully there will be some good stuff for me to put in the future.

Hi, @cybrxkhan love your mod it is really great and completely transforms the game. Just a quick note in your Scarborough fair dev diaries you wrote that Beverley was in Lincolnshire when it is actually in the East Riding. I don't know if this affects gameplay at all but the inner pedant and Yorkshireman in me couldn't let this stand ;)

You're quite correct! I'm guessing I made a brain fart when I typed that on the dev diary (and flavor pack guide) and made that error, as in the game/code it is correctly East Riding and not Lincolnshire, so no change is needed for the game, but I've just changed the Yorkshire Flavor Pack guide to be correct.

• 2Like
Reactions:
While I continue work on the Tarim Basin Flavor Pack for RICE, here's another preview, specifically of some new playable historical characters in Dunhuang/Guiyi.

Song Runying and the poet Zhang Wenche were two major officials sent to lead a group of envoys to the Tang Dynasty in 887 CE by Guiyi's ruler, Zhang Huaishen. Their mission was to ask the Tang to formally bestow on their liege the important title of *jiedushi*, to legitimize his rule in light of the deteriorating political situation in the region. When the Tang court dragged their feet about it for weeks, the envoys got into a fight - Runying argued they had to be patient; Wenche argued it was pointless, and he furthermore insulted Huaishen as an inept lord who didn't deserve the title. Either way, the group had to return empty handed.

There is a theory Wenche was actually the one who assassinated Huaishen in 892 (and not Suo Xun, who usurped power afterwards). He became prime minister of a later ruler of Guiyi, Huaishen's kinsman Chengfeng, and helped persuade his liege to proclaim himself Emperor in 910 after the fall of the Tang. This failed disastrously when the Uyghurs attacked; a humiliated Chengfeng had to downgrade to a king, before being usurped by Cao Yijin. By then, Wenche had passed away.

Can you recreate the crafty Zhang Wenche's rise as an influential official, or will he be lost to the pages of history as another petty, scheming official in Dunhuang?

WWV9YZx.jpg

i5YlLeE.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: