[MOD] [Public Beta] Rank & File - A New Kind of Titles Mod

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Azarias59

Field Marshal
34 Badges
Mar 8, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Rank & File
Download | Discord

1665801719075.png

What is Rank & File?

Glad you asked! Rank & File is a personal mod of mine that I originally created back in the days of CK2 and shared with you fine folks. Its goal is to create a more flavorful, historically accurate, and balanced gameplay experience that is tailored to your preferences. Most features in R&F will be seperated out into different modules, and there will be plenty of game rules for customization should you desire.

What does Rank & File add?

New Titles System: The entire GUI has been reworked to accommodate a new and improved titles system. Among other things, all rulers now have a more realistic title formatting (i.e. Earl John of Bedford is now John, Earl of Bedford), and close and extended family members of rulers - as well as their spouses - get new titles depending on their relationship to the ruler, the ruler's tier, as well as the character's legitimacy, This system can be tweaked in many ways, explorer your options in the game rules.​
Dowager Titles: Once a queen, always a queen. Consorts of rulers will keep their titles even being widowed.​
Heir Titles: Certain monarchies may assign special titles to their heirs if certain conditions are met; i.e. "Prince of Wales", "Dauphin of France", etc.​
Adjusted Clothing & Headgear Usage: Tired of seeing royal princes dressing the same as some random-nobody commoner? Rank & File assigns the correct clothing/headgear to all family members of rulers.​

What's on the roadmap?

Reworked Marriage AI: All characters now have a "marriage tier" value that dictates just how picky they're going to be on the marriage market. Rulers and heirs are now more desirable matches than their close relatives, their close relatives are more desirable than their extended relatives, and a legitimate dynast is more desirable than a bastard. Women also tend to aim higher than their station. The AI will also marry off their mothers significantly less often than they do in vanilla.​
Keeping it in the Family: Get ready for some inbreeding, because matrilineal marriages can (optionally) be restricted only to two members of the same dynasty.​
Royal Immunity: Vassals can no longer claim the titles of their liege's parents, spouse, and primary heir.​
Mourning Periods: Recently widowed characters will now have to wait an appropriate mourning period (6 months for men, 1 year for women) before they can remarry. If their spouse was their lover, they may never marry again.​
Sick Traits Removed on Death: One of the worst things about dying of the bubonic plague is that your character's portrait will be permanently covered in boils and dressed in a nightgown for all eternity. Well, Rank & File fixes that. Upon death, characters will use the same portrait they would've used when they were healthy in life.​
Expanded Birth Rates: Artificially-imposed child limits have been raised across the board.​
Expanded Alliance Options: You can now form alliances with all of your close and extended family members (minus cousins) and the AI will aim to have more alliances / penalize you less for having "too many alliances".​
More Realistic Adultery Penalties: Female characters who commit fornication (i.e. sex outside of marriage, but not adulterous) are no longer criminals; men who sleep with another man's wife, however, ARE criminals. Adultery is still an imprisonment reason, but it's no longer a revocation reason.​
Seduction Nerf: Men will now be less likely to seduce the wife of their liege; women - especially married women - will be less likely to accept seduction attempts.​
Holy Roman Empire: Imperial heirs may be elected "King of the Romans", causing them to effectively become the designated heir to the HRE. All de-jure kingdoms within the HRE will be disabled, aside from the Kingdom of Bohemia.​
Family Relations: Extended Family Members , as well as in-laws, will get small opinion bonuses with each other.​

Compatibility: Though Rank & File may look light, if you look under the hood, you'll see that it is a total conversion mod. As such, it is not going to be compatible with the vast majority of mods. As time goes on, I do plan to add compatibility patches with certain other mods, but that's a roadmap item.

Credits: Just me for now. Special thanks to the CK3 mod co-op and all the advice they have provided.

Last edited:
  • 20Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:

New Titles & Clothing System

Title Formats: In Vanilla CK3, all rulers use the same format (<Title> <Name> of <Place>). Often, this usage is inaccurate, so in Rank & File things have been adjusted. All Western Rulers now use the format <Name>, <Title> of <Place> (i.e. John IV, Duke of York, instead of Duke John IV of York). Additionally, since it often looks ridiculous to display a nickname alongside a regnal number (i.e. Duke John IV 'the Great'), I've made it so that regnal numbers are hidden if the character has a nickname.

Dowager Titles: Alll characters married to a ruler will keep their title and appearance even after their husband's death. Upon being widowed, their title will become a "dowager" title - i.e. changing from "Queen of X" to "Dowager Queen of X".

Heir Titles: A ruler's heir will often have a special title. For heirs to british, french, or spanish rulers will have "subsidiary titles" - i.e. the heir to a Duke might be called Count, even if he is unlanded. Heirs to Kingdoms may be called "Crown Prince"; special heir titles (such as Prince of Wales, or Dauphin of France) may be unlocked once certain conditions are met.

Special Titles: Certain landed titles now have their own, special format. By default, the King of Scotland would be "King John of Scotland", but in Rank & File, he would be "John, King of Scots". The same goes for the Holy Roman Empire - in real life, the official title of the emperor was not Kaiser, but rather, "Emperor of the Romans"; that is reflected in Rank & File.

Family Titles: Children of Kings are still Princes, but only if they are legitimate; siblings of Kings can also become princes now. Children of Dukes, Grandchildren of Kings, or Bastard (Illegitimate) Children of Kings are now called "Lord" or "Lady". Additionally, any woman who is married to (or a widow of) someone with one of these titles also receives one (i.e. the wife of a prince is now a princess).

RankClothingTitle FormatShort Title Format
EmperorHigh Noble Clothes + Imperial CrownHenry, Emperor of the RomansEmperor Henry
EmpressHigh Noble Clothes + Imperial CrownBertha, Empress of the RomansEmpress Bertha
Empress DowagerHigh Noble Clothes + Duke CircletBertha, Dowager Empress of the RomansEmpress Bertha
KingHigh Noble Clothes + Royal CrownJohn, King of ScotsKing John
Queen ConsortHigh Noble Clothes + Royal CrownMary, Queen of ScotsQueen Mary
Queen DowagerHigh Noble Clothes + Duke CircletMary, Dowager Queen of ScotsQueen Mary
Royal DukeHigh Noble Clothes + Duke CircletPrince John, Duke of YorkPrince John
Royal DuchessHigh Noble Clothes + Duke CircletPrincess Mary, Duchess of YorkPrincess Mary
PrinceHigh Noble Clothes + Duke CircletPrince John of EnglandPrince Joh
PrincessHigh Noble Clothes + Duke CircletPrincess Mary of EnglandPrincess Mary
DukeHigh Noble Clothes + Duke CircletJohn, Duke of YorkDuke John
DuchessHigh Noble Clothes + Duke CircletMary, Duchess of YorkDuchess Mary
Dowager DuchessHigh Noble Clothes + Duke CircletMary, Duchess of YorkDuchess Mary
CountLow Noble ClothesJohn, Count of ParisCount John
CountessLow Noble ClothesMary, Countess of ParisCountess Mary
Dowager CountessLow Noble ClothesMary, Countess of ParisCountess Mary
Son of a Duke
Grandson of a King
Bastard Son of a King
Low Noble ClothesLord John TudorLord John
Daughter of a Duke
Granddaughter of a King
Bastard Daughter of a King
(or wife of equivalent)
Low Noble ClothesLady Mary TudorLady Mary
BaronCommoner ClothesJohn, Baron of LondonBaron John
BaronessCommoner ClothesMary, Baroness of LondonBaroness Mary
Dowager BaronessCommoner ClothesMary, Dowager Baroness of LondonBaroness Mary
Son of a CountCommoner ClothesLord John TudorLord John
Daughter of a CountCommoner ClothesLady Mary TudorLady Mary
Everyone elseCommoner ClothesJohn Smith
Mary Smith
John
Mary

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions:
Looks interesting! Keep it up!

Would you consider doing a version without the clothes changes? I feel like you'd get a lot of pickup, if the clothes can be separated from the super impressive rest of the project!
The clothes changes are integral to my mod, so probably not. Once Ethnicity and Portraits expanded is completed & released, I plan for it to be compatible with R&F. Other changes (i.e. the non-cosmetic stuff) will eventually be made optional in the full release.

• 2Like
Reactions:
More Realistic Adultery Penalties: Female characters who commit fornication (i.e. sex outside of marriage, but not adulterous) are no longer criminals; men who sleep with another man's wife, however, ARE criminals. Adultery is still an imprisonment reason, but it's no longer a revocation reason.

Mourning Periods: Recently widowed characters will now have to wait an appropriate mourning period (3 months for men, 6 months for women) before they can remarry. If their spouse was their lover, they may never marry again.
These aspects alone definitely have my interest and attention. I look forward to further developments!

I just want to say, good idea. Higher titled people were usually referred to just by title. Le Duc de Normandie. Lo Comte d'Empúries. While lower ranked people were called by name and title, in many places. Jean, Sieur de Coucy, etc.

On the other hand, sometimes the rules this mod goes by are too modern. For instance the word "Prince" didn't mean "son of a king" until the late 14th Century, when the identification of the heirs of England, Castile and other kingdoms with Principalities (Wales, Asturias, Girona, etc) had become tradition. So, not only brothers of kings should not be princes, not even sons of kings should.

Good mod.

Last edited:
I just want to say, good idea. Higher titled people were usually referred to just by title. Le Duc de Normandie. Lo Comte d'Empúries. While lower ranked people were called by name and title, in many places. Jean, Sieur de Coucy, etc.

Good mod.
Yeah, originally my idea was to have someone's composed title replace their name, however, it just didn't feel right in the spirit of CK3. I do plan on revamping the short titles (used in events and such) to use someone's correct form of address depending on the context (i.e. 1st person, 3rd person, diferences in rank, etc) but that's a long way out.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hello everyone, happy to let you all know that development on Rank & File has resumed. I am in the process of rewrititng the core of the mod and splitting the cosmetic stuff (titles, portrait clothes) into a seperate module from the things that alter gameplay. I'll post more information here as I am ready to share.

• 4Like
  • 2Love
Reactions: