• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
When we say faith, are we talking religion as we humans understand it, or Roads? Since the Roads take up the faith slot in CK3 and all. I suppose it is possible to be an adherent of a Road, but also a follower of a major world religion at the same time, without necessarily being on the Via Caeli?

Again, this may be the Lasombra in me talking, but I have a somewhat difficult time seeing selfish, intrigue-obsessed creatures like the kindred form large realms simply based on sympathy over sharing a Road. V20 Dark Ages describes the Roads as a very personal thing. That two vampires study death, for example, doesn't seem to provide them quite enough foundation for trust or alliance. The way I see it, for a religion to be effective there, you must either provide them tangible benefit (I think fear of hell or promise of heaven are not usually enough on their own, they're already Damned in the first place), or scare them shitless. The Setites do the former, they can get you anything you want and provide a network that aids you in breaking taboos. And Mithras does a bit of both, I imagine, if you have his favor you can live an easy unlife, but he also makes it clear that if you mess with him in any way you'll have a bad time. Being only one step removed from an Antediluvian, who basically are gods, he can probably back up his divinity very directly, too.

As for the Ashirra, it's interesting, actually. From their wiki entry, it sounds like a lot of vamps simply joined because it made operating in the Middle East easier, and Christian vampires aren't nearly as unified. The way it appears to me is, because the early Caliphate was a relatively powerful, comparatively centralized state with a somewhat clear agenda, vampires had to adapt to the kine to infiltrate more effectively. This sounds almost exactly like the rationale for why the Camarilla would adopt the Road of Humanity later on. Of course there's true believers, but I have a hard time seeing large quantities of kindred adapting to that easily. Vampires are fed distrust, cynicism and paranoia with their mother's milk (blood?) so to speak, and it's a good lesson if you want to stay alive. Unless of course, this being the World of Darkness, it's a movement based around bullying/killing someone weaker than themselves.

I guess an existing power structure that's not going away anytime soon also does a lot to encourage faith-based cooperation. Would Mithras be as effective if he wasn't already a powerful ruler and made it clear that it's his cult running things in Britain, so if you have any business there you better adapt? You might even go about things the other way round, so long as you have enough power behind it, you can make kindred adhere to (or at least pay lip service to) any belief system? In general, I've also found that some Roads/Paths of Enlightenment have more of a clear political agenda (Setites, Road of Lilith, Prometheans...), while others are more of a lifestyle (Road of Bones, Metamorphosis...), and the former seem much more likely to produce cooperative networks and thus realms.

EDIT: Actually, I suppose I'm going about this the wrong way, saying that Princes cooperate based on Road sympathy. I think it makes more sense to think of it as cooperating based on the lived experiences and needs of their Road. For instance, going with the Road of Bones again, maybe necromancy books are rare, so it helps to have a network to find them. Reaching the higher mysteries of a Road is hard, and so it's extremely helpful to share notes if you have any hopes of progressing. And if followers of a Road feel they are being persecuted or otherwise under attack, they may also band together for defense.

Last edited:
You are correct in your Roads/Religions divide. We use the "religion slot" in CK3 to describe vampire roads, but it's more complicated than that in the lore.

And indeed, vampires are cynical creatures, and you find a lot of basic powerhungry monsters that will simply suck it to the guy on top if that helps them... but it's not always the case.

The Ashirra were formed by a coterie of true believers that followed the early Caliphate's footsteps. These first Ashirra (Suleiman, Tarique, Khalid, Zayyat) are as true believers as you can find in the vampire world (Suleiman fell to his knees in prayer when first catching a glimpse of the Prophet). They are not cynics. But, obviously, as their (and the mortal Caliphate's) reach extended, they were joined by many opportunists and vampires just wanting to profit from it.
Still, the Ashirra's core leadership is fueled by faith.

The Setites are close to that as well. They truly (for the most part) believe in Set's divinity. They have temples, they have prayers, they have cults, a clerical hierarchy... They are actually more of a faith than a proper clan in many ways. If Set was to return suddenly and say that he was a fraud, the clan would collapse overnight. Their faith is their duty.

Even Mithras' case is complicated. Mithras doesn't believe in his own dinivity really, it's a tool... but that doesn't mean that others don't believe it. Marcus Verus, Camden, Arcadius Rufus, James Mannerly... all of those are core pillars of the Baronies of Avalon, and they truly believe in him. In the other corner, you have people like John of York or Melusine of Anjou who only see Mithras as a powerful being that needs to be respected, but clearly not worshipped.

Finally, I think you underestimate faith as a whole in Dark Ages, and especially for vampires. In Dark Ages, there is (almost) no debate. They are Cainites, they descend from the Biblical Caine. They are cursed by God. This is real. They are a manifestation of God's wrath.
The Cainite Heresy, while on its last breath in 1230, was really powerful with many true believers (and a lot of opportunists one as always) during the 12th century.
This has a long tail. Consider the Sabbat, they are the transformation of the Anarch movement transitioning to modern... except they become very much like a clergy ("Caine's chosen") with the same organization, fanatical zeal etc. And for any cynical in it, you can find someone that truly believe in God's Curse/Blessing like Ambrosio Luis Moncada (who was instrumental in shaping the early Sabbat).

Reactions:
I just noticed something odd: The koldun holy site Sernog monastery is located in Yorak's domain but the special building is in Giurgiu.

Could a Game Option with different choices (disabling it, or changing how it works) for "The Unconquered Soul" event please be looked at in future versions of the mod? I understand that Diablerie of Vampires of the same Generation or lower is risky, but its not particularly fun for an event to fire with no counter-play and the huge ramifications for the appearance of your character.

I feel allowing players the option to choose between lore/immersion and gameplay with different Game Options on game setup would appease those who like the event for its immersion and those who dislike it for ruining the appearance of their character.

I know the developers of the mod have said in the future they would add more foreshadowing and options to deal with it, but I think having a Game Option like with the Banu Haqu obsidian skin would be a nice option for players to have.

The foreshadowing event has been added to the dev build (basically, you will know almost instantly post diablerie if something has gone wrong, allowing you to save scum if that's something you want).

The "more options" part isn't done yet, but is still in the plans.

A game rule to totally disable negative consequences for diablerie isn't on the table really. This is a terrible, quite rare, act in vampiric society, and we don't want it to feel like a cakewalk with no downsides to just eat souls willy nilly. This type of gameplay should be achievable, but also has risks.
Once the "more options" part is done though, it's possible that we might add a game rule to tailor between "The Unconquered Soul is stacked in favor of the player" (but still not risks free), "The Unconquered Soul is stacked in favor of the victim" and "Default".

That's good to hear, though I also meant with "more options" one option being that if you are vastly stronger than the Vampire you diablerie the risks are lower or mental battle that happens afterwards is more likely to go in your favor. In the same fashion of the Duel Randomness setting in CK2 where you can decide how much the difference in strength between two characters changes the odds to be less RNG dependent.

It's already the case in a way. Vampires higher than 6th generation have only 1% chance of triggering Unconquered Soul. So you can go pretty nuts in diablerie in the current build, as long as you stick to those.

Besides generations, it's a little harder to extrapolate "weakness". We are taking about willpower and such, stats that aren't really represented in CK3. Should Gratiano, a very young 4th, have more chance/risk of triggering Unconquered Soul than Camilla, a Roman Republic era 5th? It's debatable. It's a not an easy question to solve in a proper way (both lore and gameplay wise), hence the whole Unconquered Soul discussion and rework being often talked about.

I assume it would be pretty hard to add completely new stats into the mod like Willpower and Humanity to help model the strength and clarity of mind each Vampire has, but perhaps each Vampire's stress level along with their learning level could play a role in the battle of wills calculation.

I assume it would be pretty hard to add completely new stats into the mod like Willpower and Humanity to help model the strength and clarity of mind each Vampire has, but perhaps each Vampire's stress level along with their learning level could play a role in the battle of wills calculation.
Its relatively easy to add a stat though, as we have hunger and masquerade exposure (values 0 to 5 for both).
We decided early on to use the existing Stress mechanic as Willpower, and the existing Piety currency/Devotion level as Path Rating(Humanity).

Right now the assumption is that the player character either gives into the unconquered soul or fights it with all their will (and thus gains the stress from loss of willpower). The principle problem seems to be both the lack of foreshadowing, and the long random time between when the diablerie , the final confrontation with the unconquered soul and the lack of an ability to save scum out of the event based on how a saved game of CK3 uses a random seed (as near as we can figure, based on the date) rather than being truly random every time you get the event from a loaded save.

I plan to rework the event a bit to have more foreshadowing, more opportunities to head it off or succeed at some terrible price, and some other kind of way of introducing randomness (player choosing between red, green or blue) to get around the random seed issue.

Right now, the chance of getting the event is very low. If you consume multiple 4th generation vampires... then eventually you are going to get it.

And even if you lose the Unconquered Soul event, your character doesn't die, your dynasty doesn't end , you don't have to abdicate, and many features of the changes can be undone through religious conversion. Its one of the few consequences for diablerie right now; because players are very adapt at managing their stress and their hunger--I don't know if I have ever heard of a player getting the level 3 stress event that replaced heart attack with a situation where torpor or becoming a wight might happen (slightly higher chance of becoming a wight if you are a diablerist).

Actually, doesn't PoD already have some kind of hidden Willpower system? I never figured out what is up with that, but you do have a "Use Willpower" checkbox with some Disciplines and such.
Will power is stress in POD. Every time you fail a willpower check, you gain stress. Everytime you use willpower, there is essentially a d10 roll, failure causes you to gain stress. If your stress is to high, there is no will power left to spend (and other bad things happen). Going against your personality gets you stress. Going with your personality (and succeeding at things that your personality likes) reduces stress(gains willpower). I think it works pretty well as is.

Do the assassins from the web of knives get some sort of insane duel bonus? I see a lot of methuselahs slain in duels by Banu Haqim vampires with basically no prowess.

It's a little more complicated than that. Duels are very much impacted by your blood pool/hunger in the mod since most powerful moves are costing blood to use. Assassins, as spawned characters, start will no hunger/full blood. The victims, as existing characters, are very much likely to not be so lucky, resulting in those swingy duels you see.

The WoK has always been quite contentious between devs since its inception. This debate will be resolved in the next update with a game rule where players can choose the deadliness and reach of the WoK.

It's a little more complicated than that. Duels are very much impacted by your blood pool/hunger in the mod since most powerful moves are costing blood to use. Assassins, as spawned characters, start will no hunger/full blood. The victims, as existing characters, are very much likely to not be so lucky, resulting in those swingy duels you see.

The WoK has always been quite contentious between devs since its inception. This debate will be resolved in the next update with a game rule where players can choose the deadliness and reach of the WoK.
Well the assassins that are spawned are of a high generation and have no advanced disciplines so how they can use the powerful moves is beyond me unless the AI is allowed to use all duel moves from the start? Also; Shouldn't the spawned assassin be from the Iranian and/or Arabic culture group during this age? Augustus Giovanni was just slain in my game by a Banu Haqim named Katharina von Ansbach..

Higher levels contracts spawn higher levels assassins, who have advanced disciplines. Even if you only have a lower level assassin spawn, it's better to be lower level with blood (so you can use some disciplines powers at least) than a higher level with no blood (so you can only use vanilla moves).
In the current iteration of the WoK, the assassins will never stop coming until the contract is done (or removed) so it's only a matter of time before one of them gets lucky.

Assamites all being from the Middle East is a misconception.

1639992077606.png

Assamites all being from the Middle East is a misconception.
It says the Vizier and Sorcerer caste did it. Not the Warrior caste which I believe the WoK are?

It says that the Warriors did it as well before the Crusades, and they still somewhat do after (the deserving ones). So there are a lot of non Middle Eastern Assamites Warriors that the mod doesn't really account for, that can then be rationalized as these spawned characters.

Reactions:
The 'Fully influenced' province modifier doesn't actually add the development growth to the county currently, the tax mult works fine. It seems the game doesn't recognize the development factor from province modifiers. I kinda sorta fixed it for myself by doing this in the survey effects scripts:
limit = {
capital_province = {
building_slots > 8
}
}
capital_county = {
if = {
limit = {
NOT = {
has_county_modifier = opportunitiesend_modifier
}
}
add_county_modifier = opportunitiesend_modifier
}
I didn't bother to try to limit the tax mult to the capital province so it affects the whole county.