• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just downloaded this mod for the first time a few weeks back and absolutely love it. You guys are awesome.

Found a bug, not sure if team aware of:

At max blood potency, I used the blood sorcery to increase blood potency and when it wore off, it reduced my unmodified blood potency (in this case, I had 10, rolled increase by 2, when it wore off my new blood potency was 8 instead of the original 10).

Reactions:
For blood potency, there are some issues in the dev build regarding this. Some of it has been fixed in the dev build (but probably not all of them to be honest).

Baldness can come from using an old save game (pre NL) or using any kind of other mod that affects portraits (CFP, expanded barbershop etc). A fresh install of the mod with a new game on it doesn't have this issue.

• 1Like
Reactions:
1 domain limit was actually a thing during one or two months post launch of the mod. Although it's indeed more loreful, it had issues. A one county ruler was sort of doomed to never have a shot at climbing the ladder, since he couldn't hold a second county (and, as such, was too weak to become duke) making such starts almost impossible. The current situation is a compromise, you still have less domain limit than vanilla (ranking up doesn't up the limit in the mod) but you start with enough to progress by county conquest.
I think it could still work, because the domain limit is not a hard limit, it's just a -20% penalty. So with 2 counties you get the benefit of 1.6 counties, and with 3 counties you get the benefit of 1.8 counties. After that it gets worse, but 3 counties is enough to make most duchies. (This assumes the counties are about equal value, which I think is reasonable because counts can't use the princely buildings. The princely buildings give dukes an incentive to go back down to 1.) Also, counts get full value of an important resource: the baron vassals, which in PoD tend to be high skill high prowess characters. Certainly when compared to the raff that usually ends up in a count's court.

And of course, the obvious way to go from Count to Duke is to get hooks on the other counts to make them vote for you, then murder the current duke. Isn't that how everybody does it? :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
The -20% penalty was true at CK3 release, but I think it changed after the first patch. Like all vanilla buildings have a "shutdown if above domain limit" clause in them script wise now. Though I might be wrong, I don't have time to actually play the game.

Anyway, for the issue at hand, I recently removed the bonus domain limit from the cultural innovations (which were a big part of the starting domain limit) and nerfed the one from the stewardship lifestyle. It isn't as drastic as "1 domain limit" for everyone (since you can still use the stewardship stat to get above it) but it has been well received so far and will probably make it to the next update.

By the way, I recently had a bug where I was trying to abduct someone, and the event to decide to go for it had fired, but nothing after that, even when letting some montbs pass. My scheme was stuck and I couldn't even cancel it because schemes that are "ready" can't be canceled, so I couldn't start new schemes.

I worked around it by editing my savefile to remove the ready=yes and put progress back to 9/10, and after that it fired normally. I dug around in the event files to see what might have caused it but didn't find anything. I still have the savefile if anyone is interested.

For context: I was Helena of Troy, and the target was the landed heir of Sea of Shadows

Schemes getting stuck has happened since CK3 release, all of our schemes (diablerie, find lair etc) have a "safety check" event that will remove the scheme if nothing is happening for several months after readiness. CK3's vanilla schemes don't.

We don't know the actual issue with this bug and since it also happens on CK3's vanilla schemes (which we haven't changed at all) it might even be a vanilla bug.

The -20% penalty was true at CK3 release, but I think it changed after the first patch. Like all vanilla buildings have a "shutdown if above domain limit" clause in them script wise now. Though I might be wrong, I don't have time to actually play the game.
The way I have experienced it is this: Going above your domain limit by 1 will still get you the -20% so the old system is still there but to combat the North Korea style (I believe it was called thus when you just kept stacking holdings resulting in some obscene scenarios with super-soldier MaA.) they've added the shutdown feature so when you go wildly above domain limit (I think 200% or something?) your buildings will shut down in ALL your domains until you go below again.

The way I have experienced it is this: Going above your domain limit by 1 will still get you the -20% so the old system is still there but to combat the North Korea style (I believe it was called thus when you just kept stacking holdings resulting in some obscene scenarios with super-soldier MaA.) they've added the shutdown feature so when you go wildly above domain limit (I think 200% or something?) your buildings will shut down in ALL your domains until you go below again.
You can hold up to four holdings above domain limit by taking a 80% hit on every holding you hold. Five or more above your domain limit and everything shuts down. Though there is a grace period to both when you acquire new holdings and have a chance distribute them.

It is particularly nasty as it disables buildings that grant more domain limit too, restoring order can be tough. Pace your expansion with development growth and available childes to land.

Playing a Red Order game lately cuz on a vampire kick and seems hunters fit CK3's "hostile paramilitary belligerents physically occupy territory and attack others" mould pretty well. Some thoughts:

Eventually went empire, noticed my fellow inquisitors were floundering so figured I'd vassalize the remainder. Complication: Oculi Dei set to inherit House Murnau. And do, prior to a reload since mostly just checking out how the inquisitor game plays. Given the advantageous inheritance that hunter organizations start with, makes me wonder if consolidation via inheritance is a valid part of hunter rivalry or if kingdom-level hunter organizations should be pushed into splitting. I'm no lore master, so just musing out loud.

What doesn't seem to work is "oh no, Murnau is going to get inherited by Oculi Dei, lemme revoke this title and give it to her cousin of the same house in Augsburg". Turns out that formerly independent Murnau of the Inquisition faith and hunter trait isn't in possession of the Order Member trait, so giving her the kingdom-level order just made her a Traditions vassal. I think I might have broke Murnau forever :p

Which seems fine? They're mostly pet orders being collected anyway. They still exist in some form, whereas Sword of St James and Knights of Acre have been wiped off the map. Knights of Acre earlier on, St James within recent years. Nobody holds their kingdom titles but a surviving members of both have been found and landed to keep as pets.

Gotta say, inquisitors feel pretty OP so far. Long-lived and pretty beefy, and while vampires might have objectively better knights overall given their age and perk gains, haven't had much difficulty Finding Lair on all the big-name bad boys around and gutting them for fun. Whether its Mithras or Hardestadt or some schmuck 3 generations down, they go down all the same. Wonder if there's a way to make it more climactic for major characters or at least especially powerful ones, so it's not just "turns out Mithras had mortal family, lured him out and poof lol loser".

Regarding the difficulty curve, still on my first character. At 87 years old, my health has finally descended into Fine and sickness might kill me if I don't keep laying hands on myself. Most of my apprentices have been shy and mediocre, but the quality has been getting better with legacy unlocks. Support from X Order gives a pretty meaty heir when you call support from yourself, though I see that being a one-time thing that can't carry me forever.

Tempted to custom-start an Independent Hunter next. Slapping myself down in vampire country, surviving, consolidating, then showing the inquisition how it's really done sounds like it'd be a fun challenge and narratively appealing.

Reactions:
Gotta say, inquisitors feel pretty OP so far.
Its quite a challenge to get the balance right. For the Shadow Inquisition release, we erred on the side of making them more powerful. Since that in development, we've been expanding legacies for vampires , added some new powers, and also allowed Vampire lieges to get levies from their vassals. Thats should help. We kind of have a crazy idea to greatly change how the AI determines to start wars, but its still experimental.

Its quite a challenge to get the balance right. For the Shadow Inquisition release, we erred on the side of making them more powerful. Since that in development, we've been expanding legacies for vampires , added some new powers, and also allowed Vampire lieges to get levies from their vassals. Thats should help. We kind of have a crazy idea to greatly change how the AI determines to start wars, but its still experimental.
I'm not complaining so far. After trying a custom independent hunter, I miss the initial OP-ness of the papal factions :p

Who would've predicted that when you're a peasant upstart Bulgarian huntress that doesn't have a library of forbidden knowledge, the backing of the Vatican, in-lore cooperation with other factions, nor a kingdom title to start with, that one county vampires with only 5 knights are still a threat and I can't just Find Lair everyone to death? Balancing act for this one seems to be picking your targets wisely and trying to not become a target. Definitely feeling the need to upgrade my holdings effectively moreso than when being Red Order. Which wasn't without its own challenges: turns out no marriage alliances means probably should be keeping an eye on my vassals better.

1.4.0 Update "Blood Cults & Silk"
140-update-bc-and-s.png

Princes of Darkness 1.4.0 "Blood Cults & Silk"

Mod is updated for Crusader Kings 3 1.4.0 "Azure", June 8, 2021

This version brings a very needed overhaul of our Kuei-Jin vampires by Chilemiao , lead of our Chinese translation team. This material comes from Kindred of the East.

chinesemap.jpg

Also in this update is the addition of the Obtenebration discipline for Lasombra, replacing their use of Oblivion. Further a Lasombra with a low enough generation can learn elder powers for Obtenebration.

140-obtenebration.png

140-obtenebration-more.png

Several minor cults have been added from Cults of the Blood Gods and States of Grace.

We also have greatly expanded legacies, with each clan having a unique legacy track; as well as a number of legacies open to all vampires inspired by the Dark Ages Vampire "Ashen" supplement so that you can guide your kindred dynasty to the right pass. Many of these Clan and Ashen legacies will unlock specialized Men-At-Arms units; so you will now clutter the map with dwindling numbers of "spawn army" and "summon animal" character interactions. NPC vampire rulers will also use these MAA if their Dynasty has unlocked the appropriate legacies.

1623198489598.png

There are number of quality of unlife improvements and bug fixes, for instance Herded mortals can now be released from a vampire's herd. Further with the right combination of presence and dominate, a herded mortal's resonance flavor and intensity can be changed.

1623198801509.png

Vampire's have had the decision to hold feasts removed, and instead get the much more lore friendly "Elysium" and "Council Meeting" events.

140-elysium.png
140-council.png

Hunters haven't been forgotten! The y have gotten a variety of new powers unlocked in the Conviction lifestyles as Orsions. Also, the faithful may also start with special "Endowment" traits.

140-conviction.png

ChangeLog:

Princes of Darkness, "Garrison Hotfix", Version 1.4.0.1, June 8, 2021, Change Log
- Added garrison_reinforcement_factor to castle, temple and city buildings. - Creed

# Princes of Darkness, "Blood Cults & Silk", Version 1.4.0, June 8, 2021, ChangeLog

- Patch for CK3 1.4 Azure. - Karde, Wata

# Kuei-Jin

- Kuei-Jin overhaul. - Chilemiao
- Kuei-Jin use Shintai not Disciplines. - Chilemiao
- Kuei-Jin: Chi Mechanic. - Chilemiao
- Kuei-Jin: Adoption Rework. - Chilemiao
- You can no longer diablerize KJ. - Karde
- Kuei Jin prospects now get personality traits in the new system. - Karde
- Kuei Jin don't get the predator type event anymore. - Karde
- Fixed an issue with the KJ adoption event for female characters. - Karde

# Cults of the Blood Gods

- Added Dastur Anosh and Baba Yaga's cults as faiths. Adapted the setup to account for them. - Karde
- Added the Red Temptation, Consumptionism, Divisionism, Deimosianism, Via Primordia, Daughters of the Sun and Shepherds of Islam faiths. - Karde
- Added the Daughters of Gorgo, Amaranthans, Cleopatrans, Eyes of Malakai and Servitors of Irad faiths. - Karde
- Adapted the setup and added new characters for these faiths. - Karde
- Via Yasaq doesn't care about diablerie anymore, as Anda don't shun on diablerie in the lore. - Karde
- The religious opinion malus from non hostile religions has been reduced... - Karde
- ...but it's considerably harder to convert vampires. - Karde
- More innocent feeding stock. - Sparc

# New Legacies

- Ashen Dynasty Legacies - Wata
- Added the new education events unlocked by the Ashen dynasty legacies. - Karde

# New Lifestyles

- Added Obtenebration discipline. - Wata
- Additional Inquisitor Lifestyles: Endowments. - Kukul
- Various nerfs of vanilla lifestyle perks to reduce stat bloat, knight and domain limit. - Karde

# Events

- Added Lasombra and Set as a possible targets for the antediluvian hunt. - Karde
- Added Tzimisce as a potential Ante hunt target
- Lasombra events. - Creed
- Added 21 new custom investigations. Scripted the stats of these characters. - Karde
- Added 57 new Great Persons, making it a total of 142 (up from 85). - Karde
- Retooled the Echidna event towards a more regional one instead of global. - Karde
- Silvester de Ruiz now starts with event troops to be more threatening in Iberia (and because Madrid isn't a duchy capital). - Karde
- Granada (Badr) starts with the corresponding prince of a city building to help compensate. - Karde

# Decisions & Interactions

- The AI will now crash civilization only if it controls Krakow, Novgorod or Byzantium. - Karde
- The feast decision is no longer available to vampires... - Karde
- ...replaced by a "Host Elysium and Council Meeting" one. - Karde
- Players can now use the holy war CB even if under a liege of another religion. - Karde
- You can now only use mass conversion if independent. - Karde
- The King of Kings decision now gives you the dynasty prestige to pay for the custom legacy perk. - Karde
- The Malkavian Thorns' representative will no longer claim to have founded the Camarilla if he chooses the opposition. - Karde
- Added ability to change herd resonance flavor and intensity. - Sparc
- Added ability to release herd. - Sparc
- Default Traditions Contract now allows revocation if Crown Authority is high enough. - Sparc
- Which means Baronies can now be revoked for free with Limited Crown Authority (2). - Sparc
- Levies were added to Traditions Contract, so now lieges can gain levies from their vassals. - Sparc
- The AI won't use spawn armies and call animals anymore, at it stresses it way too much. This should also nerf Gangrel quite a lot. - Karde
- Nerfed the TF xp gain for the Cainite only decision. - Karde
- The find mortals resulting event now tells you that you still have to hunt the mortals to get blood. - Karde
- Fixed a missing bracket in character_interaction_triggers. - Karde
- Fixed an unexisting command in Cappadocian powers. - Karde

# Miscellaenous

- Added the revenants buildings to the replace building maintenance event (experimental). - Karde
- Added 101 characters. - Karde
- Added 8 new patron characters: Elder Diego, Marcus Mortifier, Nichoals D'Avry, Abe no Seimei, Martinus, Morgano Murchadh, Jimeno Fitzroy, and Brand de Draeck. - Sparc
- 4 new kingdoms to Patron War bookmark: Land of Whispers, Court of Crows, Covenant of Shadows and the Mortifiers. -Sparc
- Vampires have less opinion bonus for "familial" relationships. - Karde
- Powerful vassals have a bigger opinion malus if they aren't in the council. - Karde
- Too many held duchies opinion malus is now bigger. - Karde
- Building tweaks. - Kukul
- Fixed the Kairouan/Rawan house modifiers issue. - Karde
- Some tweaks to some characters. - Karde
- Fixed an issue in the Patreon's file. - Karde
- Some minor fixes and localizations improvement on it. - Karde
- Prowess changes. - Wata
- Wraiths can't be embraced or ghouled anymore. - Karde
- Added the new traits on the relevant characters. - Karde
- Nerfed the prowess from wraith potency. - Karde
- Prison of Water has been made harder to pull off. - Karde
- The AI is less likely to start feasts. - Karde
- Revenants and ghouls won't become overweight anymore. - Karde
- Andeleon now has vicissitude advanced. - Karde
- Innovations that gave domain limit have had their effects replaced by something else. - Karde
- Spouse assistance's task is less strong stat wise. - Karde
- Age obfuscated for ancients. - Wata
- HUD changes. - Kukul
- Added a new option to the Masquerade Spymaster plan if you already are at 0 exposure. - Karde
- The Gods and Monsters legacy tree isn't shown to non vampires anymore. - Karde
- Made sure that the assassins will spawn with an education trait. - Karde
- The AI is more reluctant of "marrying down". - Karde
- Buffed House Callisti. - Karde
- The Abduct scheme is a little harder to pull off. - Karde
- Small ghoul nerfs (no innate prowess, cost prestige to ghoul). - Karde
- Added a safety check to avoid the predator type event triggering twice in rare circumstances. - Karde
- Revenants will lose the vampire elective law if they acquire a duchy+ title. - Karde
- Training your ghouls in disciplines is now more stressful. - Karde
- Ghouls start with a less generous amount of disciplines in average now. - Karde
- The diablerize effect doesn't try to change your generation if you are 3rd gen. There is no way up when you already are at the top. - Karde
- Fleshed out Summoning localization. - Karde
- Removed a duchy capital building in a non duchy capital. - Karde
- Another round of tweaks to the world initialization events that should now, really, trigger at start and not somewhere during the first year of play. Hopefully. Cross your fingers. - Karde
- Upped the cost of removing the vampire elective law. - Karde
- Additional Chinese Translation. - Chilemiao
- Additional Spanish Translation. - Mikelvamp and Nikuzo

# Known issues

- Kuei-Jin Canon characters need some disciplines completed at bookmark start.
- Kuei-Jin need their own "clan" dynasty legacy
- Kuei-Jin need to be added to Custom Character decision
- Removed incomplete translations, and fake translations that were just English (and now incomplete)

We are working on a compatibility patch for Princes of Darkness, the Community Flavor Pack and Ethnicities and Portraits Expanded mods. Hopefully it will be complete by this weekend.

Thanks to our patrons!

140-patrons.png

We could always use more help with mod. If you want to get started learning to mod, check out our PDXCON Tutorial Mod.

Fun question for the forums, what do you want to see for Princes of Darkness Mod being updated for the Royal Court Expansion DLC? We hope the answer includes coffins.

1623200902014.png

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Blood cult is a form of (very lenient) masquerade in the mod, and a predator type.

I think Sparc used the term for the patch because of the fact that religions from the book cult of the blood gods have been added. And the Kuei Jin were expanded, and their Dark Ages book is "Blood and Silk". Hence the name of the patch.

Are the Kuei Jin really meant to be this weak? I started with the the empress lady in Pagan and not a single one of my knights is above 30 prowess even though some of them are ancients with dharma 8? Also since I am starting with dharma 9 shouldn't I be able to use some kind of abilities?

For Kuei Jin : They aren't done yet, missing most of their stuff makes them on the weaker side for now.

For the age : We can't totally erase age showing for the GUI. Still, a little obfuscation is better than the previous nothing. It allows us to try to hide that CK3 doesn't go below 0 BC, which is a constant annoyance for us.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Most of the Whole of Body lifestyle is still health boosts (not useful to vampire). Plenty of holy sites still have health and fertility boosts too. Take a look at India.