• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Shadow Inquisition Update
1614558942471.png

Princes of Darkness, Version 1.2.1.4, "Inquisition" Update, Change Log, February 28, 2021

Development Diary 1: Shadow Inquisition, Hunters, True Faith

Development Diary 2: Vampires , Blood Sorcery, Custom Bloodlines, Revenants

----> Download from Paradox Plaza Now! <-----
---->
Download from Steam Workshop Now! <----

Change Log:

Princes of Darkness, Version 1.2.1.4, "Inquisition" Update, Change Log, February 28, 2021

# Inquisition! - Karde, Kukul, Sparc, Wata and Khorvale
- Added a game rule for the Endgame Inquisitors difficulty. - Karde
- Added the Holy Heal perk. - Karde
- Ask the Pope decision. - Kukul and Karde
- Invite Prospect decision. - Kukul and Karde
- AI Inquisition heir creation events and templates - Karde and Kukul
- Inquisition dynasties house modifiers - Kukul
- 3 Inquisition lifestyle events - Kukul
- Characters for Sisters of St John, Red Order, St James - Kukul
- Added the Conversion perk of the True Faith Lifestyle tree. - Karde
- Small history changes (Louhi, Rodrigue, Gauthier). - Karde
- Scripted the Penance perk of the true faith tree. - Karde
- Also added a maintenance event for vampires to come back from the Shadow Inquisition religion, they were not invited. - Karde
- Vampires looking for jobs in Inquisitors courts will now be politely shown the door. - Karde
- The True Faith lifestyle is done (although the graphics aren't as pretty as the others). - Karde
- True faith and medicine perks added to the auto assign perks script for vampires. - Karde
- Added True Faith lifestyle xp for successful find the lair scheme. Higher gain if the vampire killed was lower generation. - Karde
- Ordinated characters have a 10% chance of gaining True Faith on ordination. Same for Von Murnau becoming hunters. - Karde
- Added True Faith or Beatific traits to Inquisitors characters. - Karde
- Also added it to the few vampires that qualify for it, even though they can't earn xp in this tree for now. - Karde
- Added rewards to "Pyrrhic victories" in the find lair scheme. - Karde
- Inquisitors will now get their lifestyle trees filled at the start like vampire do. - Karde
- Tweaked find lair duels to be more interesting and understandable. - Karde
- Added the lore introduction events for Inquisitors. - Karde
- Added Independnet Hunters faith for lapsed Inquisitors and independent non-Inquisitorial hunters. - Sparc
- Random Shadow Inquisitors and Indpendent Hunters Coats of Arms. - Sparc
- Inquisitors spawned by the endgame crisis will now always accept a vassalization offer from a player inquisitor. - Karde
- This behavior is forewarned to players in the main Inquisition warning event of 1420. - Karde
- The Inquisition warning event will actually show up to warn you about the Inquisition. - Karde
- Added a post war maintenance event that makes vampires holder go away when a war is won by an inquisitor. - Karde
- Scripted oculi dei recruits are now order member. - Karde
- Rodrigue now starts with the duchy of Viscaya. - Karde
- You can demand conversion of independent inquisitors. - Karde
- Added a check to avoid inquisitors being proposed as knights for the invite champions decision, although I couldn't reproduce this error in the first place. - Karde
- Hunters can now be embraced. True Faith characters still can't. - Karde
- Same for the exsanguination execution method. - Karde
- Tweaked the masquerade exposure maintenance event to have it not fire for non vampires. - Karde
- Fixed the control the townfolk building. - Karde
- Embraced characters lose the order_member trait during the embrace. - Karde
- Added a Karl Schrekt chain of events. - Karde
- Inquisition event type theme icons. - Hastur
- Society of Saint George dynasty. - Sparc
- Turn Hunter event. - Khorvale and Kukul
- Knights of Santiago tabbard. - Sparc
- Shadow Inquisition Nuns in Habits. - Sparc
- Red Order wears Red. - Sparc
- Added renown gain for Hunters executing vampires. - Sparc
- Added renown gain for Hunters finding the lair of vampires and destorying them. - Sparc
- Added renown gains for dynasty modifiers for canon Shadow Inquisition dynasties. - Sparc
- Added Oculi Dei to the von Murnau "ruler always hunter" maintenance event. - Karde
- Nerfed the leaders of the rebel Inquisition cell. - Karde
- The great prospects given by the various Inquisition objective now start with mortal trait and not hunter, so you can ordinate them as your heir. - Karde
- "East Francia" renamed to "Germany" in the von Murnau objective. - Karde
- Integrated Kukul's tweaks for non canon Inqui playthrough. - Karde
- Invite prospects decision is less costly overall. - Kukul
- New Legacy Track for Shadow Inqusition orders. - Kukul
- Inquisition/Vampire diplomatic relations fix - Kukul
- Inquisition alternative to release for hooks - Kukul
- Learn True Faith from a friend. - Wata
- Added additional Sword of St. James characters. - Karde

# Blood Sorcery - Thaumaturge
- Blood Sorcery GUI! - Thaumaturge
- Blood Sorcery: Path of Blood, Mars, Curses, Neptune's Might and Focus of the Mind. - Thaumaturge

# Oblivion
- Added Haunting Crime Doctrine, criminalizing wraiths, shunning oblivion and possession. - Sparc
- Added missing wraith effects. - Sparc
- A necromancer must now be in the same location as the victim to ritually murder them and transform them into a wraith. Etrius has to physically grab Ponticulus' junk at Ceoris. - Sparc
- Skuld oblivion discipline power can strip ghouls and revenants of vampire blood, potentially killing them. - Wata
- Ashes to Ashes localization. - Wata

# Camarilla vs. Sabbat
- Camarilla and Sabbat buildings. - Kukul
- Camarilla and Sabbat Gangrel will stop collapsing civilization for funzies as soon as they convert. - Karde
- Added Sabbat Paths of Enlightenment faiths, holy sites, Coat of Arms charge. - Sparc
- Fixed and moved the Sernog Monastary location. - Sparc
- New Coats of Arms for various holy sites: Ceoris, Hunedoara and Sernog Monastery. - Sparc
- Small fixes for the new Sabbat religion. - Karde
- Camarilla, Sabbat and new Tzimisce event type theme icons. - Hastur
- Added Gangrel COA event theme. Fixed broken Banu Haqim COA event theme in Thorns events. - Sparc
- New Camarila and Sabbat Faith Buildings. - Khorvale

# Ghouls & Revenants
- Revenant/ghoul buildings - Kukul
- Revenant Bloodgorged objective decision: "Steal the Secrets of Vitae". - Kukul
- Revenants can now targeted with a blood bond scheme. - Sparc
- Released ghouls will now lose their blood bond hooks and positive opinion of their domitor. - Sparc
- Khazi revenants are now scaly. Khazi motto fixed. - Sparc
- 18+ immortal age for revenants set. - Sparc
- Fixed a bug in transmogrification that was preventing really beautiful or really ugly domitors from making their ghoul thralls ugly or beautiful. - Sparc
- Calomena Forsaken's buildings. - Kukul
- Ghouls can use a vampire prisoner to create a ghoul - Kukul
- Vampire Dukes and higher tier tiles will create a single ghoul thrall depending upon their faith restrictions. - Sparc

# New Events - Karde
- Vampire childer education events. - Karde
- Added an event for your childe to try to eat you as soon as you embrace him. - Karde
- Added 21 new custom investigations. - Karde
- Included an event chain around Ulf's Hall. - Karde
- Added 8 events regarding your unlanded knights. - Karde
- Knights events can't happen with your childer now. - Karde
- New regional person events. - Karde
- Added the tier 3 of education events : presenting your childe to the court. - Karde
- Canon Character Content for Mithras, Helena, Absalon. - Karde
- Kuei Jin invasion of Anda. - Karde

# 3D Portraits
- Community Flavor Pack Compatibility Submod. - Sparc
- Fixed nudity bug in ruler designer. - Sparc
- Fixed weight slider and muscle slider in ruler designer. - Sparc
- Adjusted portrait environment for more dramatic lighting. - Sparc
- Added Ancient Egyptian Clothing for Egyptian Setites, models courtesy of Owlcoholic. - Sparc
- Mithrasist hats are now red. - Sparc
- Blood Gorged Eyes. - Wata
- Frenzy Eyes. - Wata
- Sanitized some DNA that was causing vampiric childer to grown horns. - Sparc
- Knights of Shadow Reconquista tabbard. - Sparc
- 44 new portraits:
Wata: Theodora Anna Romanovich, Calida, Dieter von Karlach, Tautginas, Trajan, Alacrinis, Iontius, Maatkare, Usama, Alaric the Younger, Eileen, Julia Antasia(redone). Made Caine, Zilah, Irad, Enoch look younger
kukul: Tanith, Irad, Enoch, Zilah, Caine, Annazir, Marcellus of Alexandria, Bezprym Slatikov, Adrian Szantovich, Lucretia von Hardtz, Lotta of East Kiilt, Hrothgar of Nordreyjar, Camille Duchesne, Hippolyta, Mireia Subira, Nefertiti, Lacplesis, Tomislav of Bulgaria, Periander, Marcus Licinius, Olugbenga, Jhunakhai, Dominus the Warmaster, Arjan of Utrecht, Agnethe of Skane, Al-Ashrad, Armin Brenner, Demdemeh, Borovich of Pomerania, Nova Arpad, Razkoljna, Raiya of Oghuz, Florescu of Bukovina, Zdarvka of Chornobyl, Landuff of Palemero, Nicodemus of Reims.

# Various
- Vampire building update and AI prioritization - Kukul
- Blood Hunger and Masquerade meter GUIs. - Thaumaturge and Sparc
- Caitiff objective decision: establish your own bloodline! - Wata, Hastur and Sparc
- Duel when attempting to imprison vampires. - Wata
- Train childer disciplines. - Wata
- The localization for disciplines perks is now accurate and complete. - Karde
- Added flavour localization to most discipline trees. - Khorvale
- Reworked a number a number of discipline perks to fit lore/game limitations better. - Khorvale
- Corrected some spelling. - Khorvale
- Elders from the Assamite, Baali and Brujah now have their full disciplines list. - Karde
- Elders from the Cappadocian, Gangrel and Lasombra now have their full disciplines lists. - Karde
- Elders from the Malkavian, Nosferatu, Ravnos, Salubri and Setites now have their full disciplines list. - Karde
- Elders of the last four clans (Tremere, Tzimisce, Toreador and Ventrue) have their full disciplines list - Karde
- Torpor and blood potency improvements. - Wata
- Vampires won't create cadets houses anymore. - Karde
- Insults for vampires based on clan. - Sparc
- Same for the disciplines page on the wiki. - Karde
- Nerfed (finally) the +knight effectiveness of the martial lifestyle tree. - Karde
- Reworked opinion from defines. Characters don't care as much about culture and parent/child relationship. They care much more about being in the council if they are powerful. - Karde
- Integrated PDX nerf of diplomacy skill into character opinion. - Karde
- Tentative fix of the vassal contract being blocked if an AI ruler changes a thing before you got this vassal. - Karde
- Fix for the London Mithraeum that Sparc made only buildable for Via Diabolis and Tartaros, thus proving that he is truly a Baali. - Karde
- Brujah are now opposite of Assamites. - Sparc
- Added the most convoluted maintenance event ever to have the AI actually replace buildings. - Karde
- To make it work, some changes to province files. - Karde
- Added Game Rule for chosing between DAV20 and V5 rules: this impacts disciplines and trait icons, more to come. - Sparc
- Vampire Coats of Arms updated for V:TM V5 Symbols. - Sparc
- Random Ravnos now get appropriate Coats of Arms, not just Indian COAs. - Sparc
- Unquartering. Random cadet dynasties will no longer default to quartered shields. - Sparc
- Fix to needs new dynasty effect for generating coats of arms and non-lowborn random splat courtiers. - Sparc
- Started creating a few Temporaral Heads or Religions: Cainite Hersey/See of Nod and Calomena's Forsaken. - Sparc
- Integrated PDS hotfix changes. - Karde
- Continued fixing the world initialization events quirks. - Karde
- Fixed some initialization events being character events where they shouldn't. - Karde
- Changed the holy war for kingdom localization to say that it's per 50 years and not lifetime. - Karde
- Added an "empty" tag to our maintenance events, which seems to improve their triggering reliability. - Karde
- With this, the initialization event finally triggers on game start, meaning you have blood potency and masquerade exposure at the beginning. - Karde
- Tweaked the replace building script to more aggressively trigger. - Karde
- Chimerstry localization doesn't reference technology from the future anymore. - Karde
- Tweaked the replace buildings script to be less aggressive to players. - Karde
- The cover up Masquerade decision now tells you when your religion doesn't care about the Masquerade. - Karde
- Ordos faiths added as an option for Malkavian characters in Custom Character Creator. - Sparc
- Added an objective for Tal'mahe'Ra religion characters. - Karde
- Unified the Naktanchara with the underworld realm of the Naga: Patala. - Sparc
- New Faith Buildings. - Khorvale
- Moved Szlachta creation to perk Transmogrify the mortal clay to prevent it being useless (formerly giving bonus to Szlactha troops that only become available after getting the next perk). - Khorvale
- Gave Tzimisce shapes fixed Prowess bonuses and bigger attraction debuffs (maybe too much). - Khorvale
- Added instant dread gains to Vicissitude transformations. - Khorvale
- Attempted to standardize some code, probably to karde's great consternation. - Khorvale
- Added silly easter egg. - Khorvale
- Added another safeguard against ill vampires. - Karde
- Lacplesis is now Latgalian. - Karde
- Fixed a broken effect in the shapeshift modifier. - Karde
- Diversified NPC predator type allocation. - Sparc
- Religion of Ignorance and Faith of Innocence for hapless mortals. - Sparc
- Some mortals know about and support the Shadow Inquisition, without being hunters. - Sparc
- More hunters and vampires will spawn as random courtiers. - Sparc
- Player decision to start Crusades/Great Holy Wars by faiths with appropriate tenets, max piety level and 1000 piety. - Sparc
- Nagaraja can no longer exsanguinate prisoners, but they can devour them which also satisfies their blood hunger. - Sparc
- Innocent mortals will be sacrificed less by Hunters and some Vampires for being heretics. - Sparc
- Nakurtum and her childe are now Road of Ahura Mazda following new information. - Karde
- Fix for African Duchy Capitals. - FaolDeTeine
- Update for Sèitheach, now a revenant. - FaolDeTeine
- Fix for random barons. - Sparc

# Integrated Mods
- Integrated Show More Traits Mod. Thanks to FunGaming44. Further modified by Wata.
- Integrated More Realm Capital Mod. Thanks to Myrianne.
- Integrated Window Dynasty scrollable by Samdy.

# Patrons
- Head of Faith titles for Antediluvian Patron Faiths. - Sparc
- Added Antediluvian Patron Faith to primary kingdoms for Patron War Bookmark. - Sparc
- Revised Patron Faiths: tenets, coats of arms, icons, holy sites. - Sparc
- Added Patron Antediluvian Coat of Arms. - Sparc
- Patron Characters: Patrick Ramos, Gabriel Felipe de la Casta, Lilian Szantovich, Stoffer Ravensburg, Miguel Barbaneagra, Mokano, Bjorik, Lucius Salinas, Abaddon Natasson, Faustus, Lael O'Ruairc, Hakon Fystond, Bimbee, Anatolios Tenebris, Eridanus, Xenephon, Wilhelm Shelborne, Rotislav Vovkulaka, Antariksha-Chandra Hastur, Mathieu, Gorm, Hannibal Barcid - Sparc
- Patron character nerfing. - Karde

• 6Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Could patron characters have a disinherited trait, or be rule/start date specific?, as some of them are pretty high on family trees so are major players and setting changers

For the 1230 startdate, I try to have them as little invasive as I can, be it succession or landholding wise. Obviously, for the patron bookmark, that's another story.

Do you have some specifics instances of that issue? I might have missed something obviously

For the 1230 startdate, I try to have them as little invasive as I can, be it succession or landholding wise. Obviously, for the patron bookmark, that's another story.

Do you have some specifics instances of that issue? I might have missed something obviously
I just noticed Faust and the roman in india both had king level titles, Lanka and the one with all that V's thats in romania after about 50 years in game which was weird. I'd been busy in Spain though so I didnt notice how it happened or when.

Looking great. Starting as a weak vampire caitiff and founding my own bloodline! Hunters in the mix and possible revenants gaining power. Seems like WoD of intrigue is stepping up a notch. Going to be doing a playthrough probably next weekend when I have time.

Only thing I will miss is not being able to become a third gen. Would you take a submod for that if I or someone else where to make one? I was thinking something involving ghouls, childe and the main characters all working together in a plot to attack an ancient.

Another question if you've time. What are the boundaries for the main sects when they form. I heard it said india and africa are not involved, and I am wanting to make sure if I play on the borders my capital is still within the event borders. How east is the cutoff and how far south etc? Thanks for the help.

Becoming a third gen is something we would like a very involved and difficult quest for, around the time of the Anarch Revolt (so when, in lore, Gratiano and Lugoj both try this "quest"). Something akin to the immortality quest in CK2, where you have an absurdly low chance of succeeding, but the quest itself is fun.

For your second question, India is out (by India, I'm talking everything in its dejure empires, like Rajastan, Sindh etc). SubSaharan Africa is out (so, everything west of Darfur). Some very regional religions (Laibon, Devaraja, Raktashadu) are also out.

Everything else is in (including the Steppes if you are worried about those).

Reactions:
Gotta hand it to you, you guys are really, really dedicated. Every day, we're leaving mod territory more and more and getting closer to standalone game. I particularly like how you try to always provide us with custom objectives and story decisions, that was a concern I remember having for the mod in the early days. My only criticism right now is that it seems a little odd to me to have the aquamancy path available, but not the other elementalist paths. But I'm sure there's still more magic to be added in the future, especially when the time comes to implement Mage?

Little question, you mentioned the Sabbat Regent can determine which path most adherents choose. I've never actually played to its foundation, hoping to do so once a later bookmark comes around, but does that mean we can create a Sabbat that is actually effectual, reasonable and true to its nominal purpose, rather than psychotic and self-destructive?
Let's not forget to also take a moment to praise paradox for providing their game with excellent modding support! (something that often goes unmentioned when people complain about them)

• 1Like
Reactions:
This update looks very exciting and I'm somewhat tempted to drop my current game to try out the new fun stuff but I'll stick with my current game at least until I see Thorns from the inside.

On the subject of said current game, I think I might have found an easter egg.
I have been playing as the Ahrimanes (Adisa at first but some inquisitors drove her off and left things to a childe), as you know in the lore the Dark Ages Ahrimanes only embraced women, a tradition I have been keeping to as part of my RPing. However by now I have conquered land and given it to my childe/"sisters" and they in turn have embraced their own childe, for a total of 33 Ahrimanes embraced by the AI.
I had expected the AI to be completely unaware of that restriction and just embrace men and women at random, but contrary to my expectation all 33 AI selected childe are also women.
So am I correct that this is an easter egg, or have I just gotten real lucky?

• 2Like
Reactions:
It's not really an Easter Egg per se, but more to follow the lore's rules on Ahrimanes. Same as for the Lamia, the AI will only ever embrace women for these two bloodlines.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Becoming a third gen is something we would like a very involved and difficult quest for, around the time of the Anarch Revolt (so when, in lore, Gratiano and Lugoj both try this "quest"). Something akin to the immortality quest in CK2, where you have an absurdly low chance of succeeding, but the quest itself is fun.

For your second question, India is out (by India, I'm talking everything in its dejure empires, like Rajastan, Sindh etc). SubSaharan Africa is out (so, everything west of Darfur). Some very regional religions (Laibon, Devaraja, Raktashadu) are also out.

Thank you for the reply! I totally agree with a long involved quest, hopefully using your allies (ghouls + coterie + childe etc), your wits and your luck. Even if you fail a lot and draw the wrath of the ancient, if the quest is fun and has a lot of outcomes it wouldn't be a bad time either. You could do things like your companion betraying you and taking the blood for themselves, you ending up a pawn of the ancient, or the target of others looking to take that power for themselves, lots of outcomes could be possible and lead to further story!

I have to say all these years ago I wish i'd contributed in the beginning to this mod as I almost did, when I could never get the vampire traits to propagate reliably in ck2 :D. I seldom have time for anything these days but its beyond words to see this mod still going and the labor of love you have all given for the setting.

The biggest kudos to you all.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The Red Order is hell of a lot of fun. Just jump right in, crush some weak neighbours, die in my first lair scheme, continue on as the big daddy. So far I have taken most of Romagna, hunted down Camilla, booted Montano out of Sicily. We are almost noteworthy in splendour, soon the vampires will start to have even worse time.

First shadow crusade for Lotharingia failed for some reason and our head of faith lost his title at some point, might be related. At least we just managed to get our crusader traits.

I got lucky one of my inquisitor buddies from the holy land decided to guest in my court, a known fornicator to boot. Some shackle therapy and I have myself an awesome marshal, who did not cost me a king's ransom to recruit.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:

I was initially going to say that becoming an Antediluvian would be a bit preposterous anyway, but then I remembered it actually happened twice in canon with the two mage clans. That brings up an interesting point regarding implementation, though. Not all third generation vampires are created equal. From what I remember from the Gehenna scenario book, Tremere and (Augustus) Giovanni were basically just discount Antediluvians, not really that different from the fourth generation, as opposed to the real deal, which would be way too insane to play because they can basically each destroy the world with a flick of their wrist using their 'plot device'-tier disciplines.

Hell, in one of the Gehenna scenarios, the player coterie can actually destroy (an admittedly famished) Augustus Giovanni in a straight-up fight.

Also, even if you do manage to eat one of the ancients, I think there's like a nigh-100% chance they'll just take over your personality normally? Might be interesting to consider how the two mages shielded themselves from that.

If a PC does somehow successfully manage to go through with all that, maybe they could get the ability to found their own clan, or at least somehow reshape the existing one?

Last edited:
If such an event chain was to exist, it would basically be 90% chances of dying (or failing with less consequences), 9% chances of "pulling a Giovanni" (meaning you are a "3.5" generation, hence more of a jumped up 4th than anything) and 1% of actually succeeding if all the conditions are right.

Even with that, a 3rd generation that young as the player wouldn't be that strong. Troile for example was a young 3rd, and was unable to stop the Ventrue coalition attack against Carthage, showing that you need time to become as powerful as the real progenitors.

Reactions:
Mod continues to be genius.
Bloodgorged can't make ghouls with trapped vampires anymore? I love that it's inherited too.
Also with a revanant and BG, each death is a game over with using the pick another character to play as to keep going. I'm guessing this is intentional so you can choose which heir to go to, but mentioning in case its not.

Also with a revanant and BG, each death is a game over with using the pick another character to play as to keep going. I'm guessing this is intentional so you can choose which heir to go to, but mentioning in case its not.
Is your heir of your dynasty? If so, it is likely some issue with government types.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If a PC does somehow successfully manage to go through with all that, maybe they could get the ability to found their own clan, or at least somehow reshape the existing one?
The custom bloodline objective for Caitiff is NEARLY forming a a new clan. It would be easy to adapt. We are adding a bunch of clan legacies in the future that the dynasty head will be able to shape the clan through.

The custom bloodline objective for Caitiff is NEARLY forming a a new clan. It would be easy to adapt. We are adding a bunch of clan legacies in the future that the dynasty head will be able to shape the clan through.
I have encountered a bug in my caitiff game. After I chose the pureblood bloodline and disciplines, when I came to the Coat of Arms stuff it never changed my dynasty CoA or house CoA. Is this maybe because I created a custom ruler?