• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Should this mod run on a mac?
I got it to run on my Mac, but I had to change 1 line in the ".mod" file. Based on another post, I had to change the name of the path to the absolute path (not the relative path).

You'd have to open the file ending in ".mod" and edit the line starting with "path" to look like:
Code:
path = "/Users/ *your user name* /Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/crusader kings ii/mod/FlatMap(Pretty)"
Make sure to type your actual username in where the asterisks are, whatever it is on your computer. This also assumes you're using the Steam version, not the Gamer's Gate version. Also, I'm not 100% sure that "FlatMap(Pretty)" is the correct name (I'm not at my computer right now), but it'll be the same name that's already on the line.

I like having the water areas no longer appear purple or black with this mod. However, I don't find that the mod improves the speed of my game much, that I can tell. Still, thanks to themendios for the work!

First of all thanks for this mod which has made a massive difference to the game speed on my crappy laptop.
just wondering what the options are to make the fog of war transparent to remove all the shadow based calcualtions. I can fiddle with scripts a bit but all of my EU3 graphical mod attempts have fallen flat on there face so this is way out of my arena.

You are very welcome - yea the way graphics on this game work/load are very eccentric and built only for this - I still don't understand why some things worked and others didn't.

Anyway the fog of war can be removed in console with 'fow' (toggles it). Haven't found a way to remove/change it ingame without doing that, though. To be honest I haven't tried terribly hard though, I /think/ there might be a setting in either defines.lua or settings.txt for how far out you have to scroll to remove the fog of war (eg when you scroll all the way out it doesn't look dark) somewhere that you could theoretically set to 0 or a very tiny value if it doesn't take 0. But I haven't investigated too much yet.

I got it to run on my Mac, but I had to change 1 line in the ".mod" file. Based on another post, I had to change the name of the path to the absolute path (not the relative path).

You'd have to open the file ending in ".mod" and edit the line starting with "path" to look like:
Code:
path = "/Users/ *your user name* /Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/crusader kings ii/mod/FlatMap(Pretty)"
Make sure to type your actual username in where the asterisks are, whatever it is on your computer. This also assumes you're using the Steam version, not the Gamer's Gate version. Also, I'm not 100% sure that "FlatMap(Pretty)" is the correct name (I'm not at my computer right now), but it'll be the same name that's already on the line.

I like having the water areas no longer appear purple or black with this mod. However, I don't find that the mod improves the speed of my game much, that I can tell. Still, thanks to themendios for the work!

Do you or anyone else know the path for the GG version?

It's not version-specific unless Paradox changes the way maps are loaded. You can delete maps/terrain.txt (which is the only file that conflicts with CK2+) with no adverse effects as far as I can tell.

I run it with CKPlus and other mods with no problem.
I just rename it with a name beggining with 0 (zero) to load at last. So I created another beging with 00 just to hold CK2 terrain config.
With mods that change user dir (like SWMH and balansegang) you need also to copy/edit the settings.txt at created userdir.

This Mod really decrease the slowdowns i have been getting with Vanilla. Had to change the Path line inside the .mod file to path = "/Applications/CrusaderKings2.app/Contents/game/mod/flatmap" . If anyone else is having problem to get this mod going with a Gamersgate mac version, just open the Flatmap.mod file with TextEdit and change the Path command. Thank you for this mod. I will now return to my troubling gaming with Kingdom of Navarra.

What is the mod loadorder/is there a tool for that?

Also, is it compatible with GoT Mod? Thanks!

And very good mod, I just finished my vanilla game!

Load order should be last - the only possible conflict with mods that don't have a map is map/terrain.txt in which case you can delete it from mine if you have the version that has it.

If the GoT mod has the same size (pixel-wise bmp) map as vanilla then it should be fine. If not then it may or may not work, I am not sure what would happen. Give it a try and report back ;)

Load order should be last - the only possible conflict with mods that don't have a map is map/terrain.txt in which case you can delete it from mine if you have the version that has it.

If the GoT mod has the same size (pixel-wise bmp) map as vanilla then it should be fine. If not then it may or may not work, I am not sure what would happen. Give it a try and report back ;)

I'd like to know about compatibility with the GOT mod as well, but I believe the Westeros map is much smaller than the CK2 map.

thanks for letting us know it's certified got-compliant

I'd like to know about compatibility with the GOT mod as well, but I believe the Westeros map is much smaller than the CK2 map.

the usable map is yes but apparently the actual map is the same size

I finally got around to trying FlatmapPretty w/ TrueMute and CK+, and the game is scrolling and generally running noticeably better. My only problem is I actually liked the map overlays, (Cities, Docks), and I was wondering if I could re-enable them without errors?

I finally got around to trying FlatmapPretty w/ TrueMute and CK+, and the game is scrolling and generally running noticeably better. My only problem is I actually liked the map overlays, (Cities, Docks), and I was wondering if I could re-enable them without errors?

Cities are fine, docks wouldn't break anything but will not be seen - basically the way the map is now is all max height (255) and there's some hardcoded setting somewhere that says 'docks and ships go X below land' which basically puts them below the earth. I haven't figured out a way to fix that, theoretically you could make the map all min height instead (0) but for some reason that doesn't work.

The ships start out at the docks but once they're moving they're visible. It's a weird thing that just has to do with my limited understanding of why x works but y doesn't. For example if you look at the actual map it's almost all pure white but there's a thin strip of pixels that are a gradient from 0 to 255 on the far lef which I added after hours of trial and error. They aren't shown and never seen. But if you wipe that strip out the map no longer works. No idea.

Hello! I got FlatMap(LowRes) and extracted it in the mod folder, selected it in the launch but it doesn't seem to change anything.
I have GG version of the game with latest patch. Thanks.

Hello! I got FlatMap(LowRes) and extracted it in the mod folder, selected it in the launch but it doesn't seem to change anything.
I have GG version of the game with latest patch. Thanks.

Refer to this:

The specific mapRenderingOptions config you'll want to use for any of the map ones:
Code:

mapRenderingOptions=
{
draw_terrain=yes
draw_water=no
draw_borders=yes
draw_trees=no
draw_rivers=no
draw_postfx=no
draw_sky=no
draw_bloom=no
draw_tooltips=yes