• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NejinOniwa

First Lieutenant
32 Badges
Dec 7, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
Hello, everyone! From my work on the PB/VIET-based Council Equality mini-mod, I've started a new work with a somewhat larger scope. With the release of the Enatic and En-Co succession forms in 1.102 my wishes for what I wanted to do with the mod started outgrowing its original scope - which was to allow a simple classification of "who's allowed on the council" based off laws - by a fair bit. As such, I've transitioned most of the changes I wanted to make in that mod to this one, in order to keep things as simple as possible.

Why this mod?

With the release of the Enatic and Enatic-Cognatic succession forms in 1.102, I felt like there were great possibilities for a new kind of schism in CK2 - one of genus culture, so to speak. I bet that many people are already working on this as part of various mods, but this mod will - like its predecessor - be based off, and compatible with, Project Balance and VIET, and intended for use in the vanilla setting. Basically, I wanted to define the differences that may arise between people from societies with differing genus cultures; in other words, the Patriarchial societies that we're used to, and until-now unseen Matriarchal societies.

What will this mod do?

The intent of this mod is to create a visible schism between characters from societies with differing genus cultures, add another dimension to the cultural gameplay of CK2, and apply various in-game differences and flavor to their respective playstyles.

Firstly this will be accomplished by a simple, big trait icon. I currently use a white-purplish icon for the Equalist trait; I'm thinking red-white for Matriarchal and blue-white for Patriarchal, or something similar.

Interaction will be modified in several ways. Matriarchal females will have HUGE malus versus patiarchal males, and vice versa; both of them thinks, of course, that the other is acting way above their position, and is a generally weird person. Patriarchal vs Matriarchal of the same gender will have slight maluses; Pat. males think mat. males are big wussies, and mat. males think pat. males are chauvinist brutes - and so on with females. Matriarchal males vs Patriarchal females is one thing I'm slightly miffed about; I'm currently veering toward them having a slight relationship bonus normally (since they are in a similar position in their respective societies and thus sort of understand each other and such), but a malus if one is married to the other (because neither behaves like they're "supposed to" according to the other).

I'm not the best event coder, but I'm inclined to add a few flavor events to, say, matriarchal characters, characters in a cross-genus cultural marriage, characters in a wrong-culture court, and so on. What will the Mongol warlord say when his Matriarchist wife starts taking her own concubines? And so on. If someone has ideas to use for more of these, or would be willing to code a few, that'd be great.

The most important effects, gameplay-wise, of this mod will be the changes to the Succession laws and Job titles, much like the Equalist mod. The big difference here is that instead of just one single defining trait, there will be two ends of the spectrum, and a middle point in the Equalists. For example, Matriarchal society characters won't be able to implement Patriarchist (Agnatic, Ag-Co) laws at all. They must first get their realm to Absolute Cognatic, by much of the same rules as females in vanilla PB are subject to at the moment. From there, they must muddle the rules sufficiently that they can actually switch from Matriarchist to Patriarchist; once that has been done, they must ensure that their heir is raised in the right genus culture as well. Hopefully the Patriarchist heir will be able to survive the inevitable shitstorm and rebellions of his succession; and the gods help you if you have Matriarchist vassals remaining when you decide to "convert" your realm.

Patriarchist to Matriarchist goes essentially by the same rules, just different gender. Unless any of you have better ideas, of course - post away here with all you've got. Most of the code I have are just the leavings of the Equalist project, at this state, so changes can easily be committed.

I would very much like adding a "genus culture mapmode" as well, if that's possible - I'm not sure it is, though (or how to do it if it is), so if someone could throw me a leg here, that would be helpful.

TL;DR
This mod will add a new dimension to the CK2 characters, functioning much like religion or culture: namely, Genus Culture. This defines what sort of society the character comes from, and what ideals he/she lives by and how they see the roles of different genders.

Patriarchist characters and societies are the same ones you know from vanilla CK2 (and, by and large, real life). Males dominate and dictate, and inherit whenever possible, and the women are mostly unimportant in matters that don't involve the production of an heir or two. In a vanilla CK2 game, this will be the norm in the vast majority of places you look.

Matriarchist characters and societies are the polar opposites of their Patriarchist counterparts. Females rule and reign, and are favored in succession over the inferior, unimportant males, who are only really needed when a woman needs to be impregnated, and otherwise left to their own petty devices. These realms will likely be rare occurrences in vanilla CK2, but when they rise you can be sure there will be conflicts between them and their patriarchist counterparts, in many ways.

Equalist characters and societies are a bit of an oddball. In reality they come in three kinds: two that are Equalists by law, but due to their respective backgrounds or ubringings also carry another Genus Culture in their arsenal; and the True Equalists, that don't judge people based on their genders at all (save perhaps for who they want to reproduce with). Equalist realms will allow for a great deal of flexibility, but beware - seldom will you actually have a realm full of True Equalists under you. Much like a realm of differing religions or cultures may eventually start to fracture, so will Equalist ones if you don't pay careful attention to what you're doing. Ultimately, few will the cases be when the AI remains a believer in Equality for any extended period of time.

In the end, the choice is yours. Safety in a more uniform realm and inheritance, or Freedom with more choices and possibilities?

Stay tuned for more info on this mod - I'll be updating it as soon as I have any code to show.
//N

Consider me interested!

I don't know if this is within the scope of your mod or if it even is feasible but having Enatic/Cognatic kingdoms be called "Queendom" instead coule be a nice touch.

Because there were soooooo many feminists around in medieval times
rolleyes.gif

Consider me interested!

I don't know if this is within the scope of your mod or if it even is feasible but having Enatic/Cognatic kingdoms be called "Queendom" instead could be a nice touch.
Technically it should be within the scope, but I'm not very sure how easy it'd be to accomplish. One way it COULD be done - and done as to add yet another layer of difficulty in going from one end of the scale to the other - would be to make separate titles for Matriarchal and Patriarchal realms. An event would trigger when the change occurs from Cognatic to Enatic-Cognatic (presuming you start out on the Agnatic side of the spectrum); this would transition the realm, much like the Byzantines become the Roman Empire or the like, to a second title known as a "Matriarchate" or something like it.
Because there were soooooo many feminists around in medieval times
rolleyes.gif
And we all know there were just as many Viking invasions of Yemen, Zoroastrian revivals, Hellenic pagan emperors, Genius breeding programs, Aztecs invading Spain et cetera, in the same medieval times, right?
I think feminism is QUITE a bit further down on the Alien Space Bats scale than many other things we regularly encounter - or produce - in CK2 as it is. Matriarchies are far less ahistorical than most of them, chap. ^^

Thanks for the interest in this mod, chaps - if you have any ideas, feel free to throw them at me. Like I said, the mod is still in a quite early stage of development. If you want to use this system (once completed) in your mod, give me a poke and I'll see what I can do.

And we all know there were just as many Viking invasions of Yemen, Zoroastrian revivals, Hellenic pagan emperors, Genius breeding programs, Aztecs invading Spain et cetera, in the same medieval times, right?
I think feminism is QUITE a bit further down on the Alien Space Bats scale than many other things we regularly encounter - or produce - in CK2 as it is. Matriarchies are far less ahistorical than most of them, chap. ^^

He's got you there.

As mentioned on the other thread, I like the idea of this mod, even though I personally wouldn't play with it - it's good for people who want ahistorical gender equality but want to work towards it and/or want it to work in a logical, semi-plausible manner. :p

Technically it should be within the scope, but I'm not very sure how easy it'd be to accomplish. One way it COULD be done - and done as to add yet another layer of difficulty in going from one end of the scale to the other - would be to make separate titles for Matriarchal and Patriarchal realms. An event would trigger when the change occurs from Cognatic to Enatic-Cognatic (presuming you start out on the Agnatic side of the spectrum); this would transition the realm, much like the Byzantines become the Roman Empire or the like, to a second title known as a "Matriarchate" or something like it.

Thanks for the interest in this mod, chaps - if you have any ideas, feel free to throw them at me. Like I said, the mod is still in a quite early stage of development. If you want to use this system (once completed) in your mod, give me a poke and I'll see what I can do.

Societies with domineering females are very believeable, but the matriarchies described here were men are publically viewed as inferior is actually quite harder to Swallow then a reformed norse faith laying siege to Constantinople in a holy war. That's pretty hardcore feminism that probably wouldn't survive in the middle ages above the village level and even then for all of five minutes. Not that there's anything wrong with the mod, its just quite abit higher on the alien space bats pole then you think.

Although significantly lower then Aztec invasions.

Because fucking Aztec invasions.

I'm quite aware that the ASB rating on this stuff is fairly high, regardless of approach. The main thing is that I needed pretty much an inverse of the male variants for this mod to be viable in the first place, even if actual matriarchies weren't quite as described in here.