• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looks excellent. Fingers crossed that when I merge the map files with VIET the game won't skit itself and crash.

Edit: Aw dangit, not save-game compatible. :/

Last edited:
I don't know what's going on, but I installed the mod as any other mod and CK2 immediately crashes.
I have the Steam version on the latest patch, and I'm on Mac. The only other mod I use is an Italian translation of the game (but I tried even without).

Edit: I play with the following DLCs, just in case: SoI, LoR and Republic.

Last edited:
I don't know what's going on, but I installed the mod as any other mod and CK2 immediately crashes.
I have the Steam version on the latest patch, and I'm on Mac. The only other mod I use is an Italian translation of the game (but I tried even without).

Edit: I play with the following DLCs, just in case: SoI, LoR and Republic.
I've never had any problem like that before. Could be the mac issue. What filetype does the Mac version use for terrain images?

I think it looks like the same than Windows, with .bmp and stuff. I attached a caption.

map_folder_ck2.png

I think it looks like the same than Windows, with .bmp and stuff. I attached a caption.

View attachment 92298
Hmm...

Some suggestions:
Where does Mac keep the temp files, save games etc? On PC they are stored in documents/my games/blah-blah-blah.

And can you perhaps upload some of the vanilla Mac files, particularly the atlas.dds, please?

Thanks.

Hmm...

Some suggestions:
Where does Mac keep the temp files, save games etc? On PC they are stored in documents/my games/blah-blah-blah.

And can you perhaps upload some of the vanilla Mac files, particularly the atlas.dds, please?

Thanks.

On Mac it's almost the same: Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/ and then gfx/, logs/, map/, mod/, and so on.
Here you go with atlas.dds: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmi42lquwtj04em/atlas0.dds

Thanks a lot.

Thankyou.

Right, here's the findings of that:
1. The Mac and PC vanilla atlas.dds files are identical, so that won't be the issue.
2. I just installed the latest patch, turned off all the dlcs except from yours and ran the mod, and it loaded fine, so this isn't caused by your particular set of DLCs or update status
3. The .mod file doesn't contain any instructions that contradict the file structure above.

So I'm starting to run out of ideas. Perhaps try deleting the whole "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II" directory (and all the cache files in it)? Sometimes with graphics-based mods there are problems due to the cache.

Aaaand nope. Nothing changed.
Anyway, thank you very much for your patience. Games and Mac, not even once.
I am sorry, I wish I could have helped you enjoy the mod. :(

Aaaand nope. Nothing changed.
Anyway, thank you very much for your patience. Games and Mac, not even once.

I believe it crashes because of the userdir line in the *.mod file. Open it with an editor (like notepad++ for instance) and either delete it or put a # in front of that line.
Please report if this works or if that's just an old misconception on my part.

edit: Or keep the userdir line and just create a folder in your documents ck2 folder with the correct name of the mod mentioned in the userdir line. That seems to have fixed the problem for others, like here.
Contrary to Windows, the mods own directory folder (where it has its own settings.txt and own save games folder) doesn't get created in Mac it seems, so yu have to do it yourself.

edit2: could yo do us a favour and try both methods , plese ? If both work i'll do anew thread explaining it and ask Veldmarschaalk to put it in the modding FAQ. Even though i don't even have a Mac. :D

Last edited:
I believe it crashes because of the userdir line in the *.mod file. Open it with an editor (like notepad++ for instance) and either delete it or put a # in front of that line.
Please report if this works or if that's just an old misconception on my part.

Yay it works!!!

edit: Or keep the userdir line and just create a folder in your documents ck2 folder with the correct name of the mod mentioned in the userdir line. That seems to have fixed the problem for others, like here.
Contrary to Windows, the mods own directory folder (where it has its own settings.txt and own save games folder) doesn't get created in Mac it seems, so yu have to do it yourself.

That's trickier, because creating such a folder allows CK2 to start, but on the downside it creates tmp files in that folder as if it was the first start ever (it asks for the language, and savegames aren't available anymore).
Should I copy-paste everything in that new folder? It can be done but I fear it's not the most practical solution. The first option looked just fine.

edit2: could yo do us a favour and try both methods , plese ? If both work i'll do anew thread explaining it and ask Veldmarschaalk to put it in the modding FAQ. Even though i don't even have a Mac. :D

Thanks a lot. Is there an obvious workaround for the 2nd solution?

Yay it works!!!

Cool. So no misconception. *Phew*

That's trickier, because creating such a folder allows CK2 to start, but on the downside it creates tmp files in that folder as if it was the first start ever (it asks for the language, and savegames aren't available anymore).
Should I copy-paste everything in that new folder? It can be done but I fear it's not the most practical solution. The first option looked just fine.
Thanks a lot. Is there an obvious workaround for the 2nd solution?

Workaround ? What for ?
Well you can for sure copy and paste stuff or copy your save files as well, no problem. That it starts anew and has everything on default is only a problem for message setting or if you edited the settings.txt.
Both you can just simply copy and paste. No troubles. I use user-directory folders myself also without mods and have no trouble whatsoever.

(Kind of) Short answer:
Yes, you can copy all files you edited yourself (for instance settings.txt) or changed ingame (like message settings; messagetypes_custom.txt in "Interface")
into that new folder and won't have to do all the changes manually afterwards in game again.

You don't need to do the second variant, it just helps to differentiate between save files and settings and thus your versions of the game. So it's not necessary, but helpful.

But (!) sometimes mods mess with temporary files and new games, based on vanilla or other mods, load the temperoray files of your old game first (usually that should be no problem, but some have experienced such)
and screw either graphics or dejure borders and such things.

I hope this was helpful and not too confusing for ya. :laugh:

Fishman, could you look at atlas0.dds? There are some red "13" numbers in 3 places in one of textures. I'm using your textures for SWMH map and they use "coastal_desert" for marshlands, that's why I ever noticed this glitch on the map.

Last edited:
Fishman, could you look at atlas0.dds? There are some red "13" numbers in 3 places in one of textures. I'm using your textures for SWMH map and they use "coastal_desert" for marshlands, that's why I ever noticed this glitch on the map.
These numbers were something that I used to help me figure out where each texture appears on the terrain map, there used to be numbers on all the texture tiles in atlas0.dds . Now they are only left in the unused tiles.

Strictly speaking this mod is not compatible with SWMH, because SWMH changes terrain.bmp and topology.bmp. It would be possible to just remove the numbers and leave those tiles blank, but you'll probably experience other problems too if you leave the mods as they are, because the SWMH map files don't match the SWMH map.

If you want to solve the conflict yourself, follow these instructions:
1. Download and extract this version of atlas0.dds (which doesn't have the numbers)
2. Replace the copy of atlas0.dds found in "PCK2v1/map/terrain" with the new version
3. Delete the files 'topology.bmp', 'trees.bmp' and 'terrain.bmp' found in "PCK2v1/map"

If you want a proper, neat look to the map, also delete 'colormap.dds' and 'colormap_water.dds' from "PCK2v1/map/terrain". This will get rid of a lot of the colour and lighting changes added by PCK2, but will clean up any misplaced shading.

For best results, download and activate my mod Better Mountains for SWMH. This includes a new topology.bmp map specifically designed for SWMH.

As I said, there are some quite major conflicts between SWMH and PCK2, and they are not really compatible. But hopefully this method will allow you to enjoy at least the new textures.

If you want to solve the conflict yourself, follow these instructions:
1. Download and extract this version of atlas0.dds (which doesn't have the numbers)
2. Replace the copy of atlas0.dds found in "PCK2v1/map/terrain" with the new version
3. Delete the files 'topology.bmp', 'trees.bmp' and 'terrain.bmp' found in "PCK2v1/map"

Which version you mean? BTW, I'm aware of PCK/SWMH conflicts, so I'm using only textures (and they're great!).

Thank you a lot! Having no idea how those .dds work, I must say that somehow with your files marshes in SWMH look very marshy indeed, despite SWHM using "coastal_desert" for them... Magic :)

The Atlas0.dds file is a big square, divided into 16 tiles. Each tile contains a texture. Only 13 of those actually have textures assigned to them in Vanilla (and in PCK2), so the rest I have filled in with a dark greenish-brown colour. SWMH probably uses one of them as a texture for marshland.