• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As for practical results: Forn siðr can't Modernize at all but it's easy to keep Moral Authority high. Ásatrú can modernize it's institutions if Royal Authority is at a decent level, but slower than Nýi siðr and only if the King has the Hofgoðar as his vassal with good relations*, and Moral Authority is relatively steady (though it'd need higher levels for the reforms than Nýi siðr). Nýi siðr would be a more radical reformist faction of the Devout who seek to impose new order on the faith to keep it strong, so they'd have problems keeping Moral Authority high (needs to subdue other Norse-pagan rulers otherwise it steadily decreases), but would have much higher Modernization-speed and 10% less or so on the Moral Authority requirement and a step below Ásatrú on Royal Authority necessary. It'd create much upheaval, increasing revolt-risks, more severe Opinion modifiers in the negative to the other factions of the faith for pushing it through and give them Casus Bellis to restore the status quo Ásatrú faith and so forth. But if you can weather the storm your realm would be much safer from outside conversions, the internal Religious Establishment is stronger and you could go on the offense (only granting Holy Wars to modernized Ásatrú/Nýi siðr, otherwise only allowing it to reclaim de jure territory of their primary Kingdom from other religions who aren't vassals. Should be possible to code.).

It probably is possible to code something along these lines, but that'll be further down the line unless someone else feels like doing it.

* I made the religious leading faction into a Duke-level title in mine, so it could be subject to the King. I think it works better since it doesn't end up at war with Sweden. It also helps during the Swedish Civil War since Erik the Heathen needs another ruler to back him if he's to demand the Throne through the Plot, which the religious friends in the Hofgoðar are willing to do. Historically the Christian King was deposed and the title given to an Ásatrú candidate through election, with a lot of support from the heathen majority who were oppressed. Whether that candidate would be Erik the Heathen/Håkan the Red/Blot-Sven, they'd have the Hofgoðar in their corner. I got a new Flag and some leaders put in place (you can edit the birth/death/gaining-the-title days if you want, my mod starts in year 1000) and so forth, so I'll go ahead and throw them up in a spoiler box.

The Hofgoðar, landed_titles.txt -> Localization -> Suggested Flag -> Religion.txt + Localization -> Leader Histories (I've rewritten all the Norse countries to not use modern names and cultures, so just edit Eastnorse to Swedish).
Code:
d_hofgodar = {
	color={ 198 249 255 }
	color2={ 0 220 220 }

capital = 290 # Uppsala

title = "temple_duke_norse_pagan"
	foa = "POPE_FOA"
	short_name = yes
	location_ruler_title = yes

# Always exists
	landless = yes

# Controls a religion
	controls_religion = norse_pagan
}

d_hofgodar;Hofgoðar;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
temple_duke_norse_pagan;Hofgoði;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
temple_duke_female_norse_pagan;Hofgyðja;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

dhofgodar.png

(Edit: It told me "Invalid file" everywhere, including the uploader here on ParadoxPlaza despite how prominently they use .tga files, so you'd have to make a d_hofgodar.tga file with this..)

Code:
	norse_pagan = {
		graphical_culture = westerngfx

icon = 5
		color = { 0.7 0.7 0.7 }
		god_names = {
			GOD_THOR GOD_THE_THUNDERER GOD_THE_ALLFATHER GOD_THE_ODIN
		}
		crusade_name = "HOLY_WAR"
		scripture_name = THE_SAGAS
		priests_can_marry = yes
		can_grant_claim = yes
		can_grant_divorce = yes
	}
	nyi_sidr = {

icon = 5
		color = { 0.7 0.8 0.8 }
		parent = norse_pagan
		god_names = {
		}
		priests_can_marry = yes
		can_grant_claim = yes
		can_grant_divorce = yes
		can_call_crusade = yes
	}
	forn_sidr = {

icon = 5
		color = { 0.6 0.6 0.7 }
		parent = norse_pagan
		god_names = {
		}
		priests_can_marry = yes
		can_grant_divorce = yes
	}

norse_pagan;Ásatrú;norse;Nordisch;;Escandinavo;;;;;;;;;x
forn_sidr;Forn siðr;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
nyi_sidr;Nýi siðr;;;;;;;;;;;;;x

Should probably add in a different colour-tinted version of the Ásatrú Valknut currently used as the default for the heresies, to make it easily distinguishable?

Code:
PUT_IN_NEW_NUMBERS = {
	name="Sveinbjörn"
	martial=4
	diplomacy=6
	intrigue=6
	stewardship=6
	learning=6
	religion="norse_pagan"
	culture="eastnorse"
	add_trait="diligent"
	add_trait="poet"
	add_trait="ambitious"
	add_trait="scholarly_theologian"
	980.7.4={
		birth="980.7.4"
	}
	1029.12.23={
		death="1029.12.23"
	}
}

PUT_IN_NEW_NUMBERS = {
	name="Jörmungandr Yngvi"
	martial=5
	diplomacy=5
	intrigue=4
	stewardship=6
	learning=5
	religion="norse_pagan"
	culture="eastnorse"
	add_trait="temperate"
	add_trait="scholar"
	add_trait="content"
	add_trait="martial_cleric"
	1006.3.8={
		birth="1006.3.8"
	}
	1064.8.10={
		death="1064.8.10"
	}
}

PUT_IN_NEW_NUMBERS = {
	name="Hildemar Örn"
	martial=4
	diplomacy=6
	intrigue=5
	stewardship=6
	learning=5
	religion="norse_pagan"
	culture="eastnorse"
	add_trait="diligent"
	add_trait="mystic"
	add_trait="kind"
	add_trait="zealous"
	add_trait="scholarly_theologian"
	1041.4.1={
		birth="1041.4.1"
	}
	1089.5.16={
		death="1089.5.16"
	}
}

\history\titles\d_hofgodar.txt + b_uppsala.txt
Code:
1000.1.1=
{
	liege="k_sweden"
	holder=PUT_IN_NEW_NUMBERS
}

1029.12.23=
{
}

1064.8.10=
{
}

#######################################

1000.1.1=
{
	liege="c_uppland"
}

1029.12.23=
{
}

1064.8.10=
{
}

Yes, they're references to modern times. Besides, something feels wrong about having an explicit traitor as the leader! :p

PUT_IN_NEW_NUMBERS is because the ones originally there are ones reserved for Terra Normannorum characters.

I deem your ideas... exciting! I'll include it in the bext version and see what happens.

See the above. It'd be incorporated into the conflict on reforming the faith (as many indigenous religions have done in their last gasp of authority before Christianity entrenches itself), so if the province is filled with Reformists/Traditionalists then it'd be more volatile from either a Status Quo Ásatrú persepective or from a "Traditionalist Vs. Reformist"-perspective. Besides, has anyone ever actually worshiped the Hrímþursar (Frost Giants)? Seems more like all those scare-stories about "Satanist" groups in America than something you'd find in Ásatrú, in the Hollywood-sense and not LaVeyan, but when investigated by the Police it's always either an urban legend or it's an extremist Christian group whose theology neighbouring Christians think must be "of the Devil".

No, I'm not aware of anyone actually worshipping Frost Giants in real life. I simply picked something out of the blue since I had to pick a name for the heretic mechanic I felt like testing.

(EDIT: I'd also recommend not using any special characters (ð þ å ä ö etc.) inside the coding that aren't readily available on all keyboards. No need to risk something getting screwy for something that's only internal workings anyway. It's easy to keep in mind that even if it should be a þ you'll just write it as "th" in the code. Also not everyone has Scandinavian keyboards or can switch character-sets easily. Constantly copy-pasting those chars slows things down. :) )

I know, but they´re so neat! It brings enough flavor value that i think it's worth the extra hassle. Unless everyone screams I think I'll keep them. Such sweet, sweet toys.

It probably is possible to code something along these lines, but that'll be further down the line unless someone else feels like doing it.

I deem your ideas... exciting! I'll include it in the bext version and see what happens.

No, I'm not aware of anyone actually worshipping Frost Giants in real life. I simply picked something out of the blue since I had to pick a name for the heretic mechanic I felt like testing.

Huzzah! :)

I know, but they´re so neat! It brings enough flavor value that i think it's worth the extra hassle. Unless everyone screams I think I'll keep them. Such sweet, sweet toys.

Oh no no, I'm not saying those letters shouldn't be in the game. They most certainly should be. I'm just saying that inside the code (when writing things like d_hofgodar, not when they show up in-game as "Hofgoðar") it's simpler to keep track of and re-write things if you use plain letters that everyone's got. I wouldn't care how much people screamed about them, I'm the guy who went through all Scandinavian characters and gave them proper Norse names as well as rewriting the whole culture-list to a proper standard for the times for my soon-in-public-development Mod-project, after all. I'd be writing short-hand translations next to decisions in Younger Futhark if I could get away with it (would probably just show up as blocks on most computers, since it's an unusual language to install) just for the flavour. :)

Something completely different: should the Wend tribes in Pomerania really be Romuva? I mean, AFAIK the Wends were Slavic, not Baltic, and their respective paganisms were somewhat different. Thoughts?

Romuva's so small as it is that you might as well keep them merged IMO.

I love where this is going! It combines nicely with my own (not yet publicised) Enhanced Scandinavia mod. I tried starting as Erik the Heathen. In the first year, Sweden was invaded by almost all pagans nearby (and that's a lot of pagans)! Then I succesfully took the crown of Sweden with a plot (backed by "Blot" Sven, whom I made pagan), then I too was invaded by loads of Finns and Balts. The Levies depleted from former raids made it impossible to withstand these adversaries, also without the aid of mercenaries; (maybe some pagan mercenaries could be added)!?

I don't know who those priests of Uppsala are, but Sveinbjörn is definitely the name of the first Allsherjargoði in Icelandic Ásatrú society.
Keep up the good work!

PS. I agree with the above.

Yes, in the early years I have noticed that the pagan tribes tend to gang up on you. Unfortunately, it's also possible to use them as cannon fodder - if they attack your liege and you rebel right after that, they will happily support your sieges without considering the fact that they won't be the ones winning the siege. I would like for their forces to be hostile to all other forces (including other tribes in wartime), but I haven't figured out how to do that yet.

I've been using this mod with the PMM pagan mod and I've been having some trouble with the tribal raid CB not working. Mind checking it out?

@King of parades; technically all of europe is 'lost pagan lands'.

@King of parades; technically all of europe is 'lost pagan lands'.
I think what he meant was, that you would get a claim on Pagan land under a Christian leader.

Unfortunately, I think the only way to do that is to merge the mod files manually yourself. It's quite the headache; I've spent the past 2 hours trying to integrate this, PMM, and BGA for my own personal use (and the darn game keeps immediately after the launcher for some reason.)

What we really need is a mod pack, (provided the creators are up for it, of course!) Then again, we're so early in the life of CKII that quite frankly I'm a little surprised these mods are as far along as they are!