• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Korbah

Ratel
137 Badges
Mar 3, 2011
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
North African Expansion
A Crusader Kings II Mod

Version: 1.3b | CK2 1.05e Compatible
| DOWNLOAD |

1.3b Fix (drop on an existing 1.3b installation)
| DOWNLOAD |

Description
The North African Expansion is a modification that, true to it's name, adds, expands and modifies various facets of the North African region currently available with the stock CK2 map. The mod adds over 80 new provinces, over a dozen new duchies, several new kingdoms and three new empires covering the region known as the Sahal, from the east coast Jolof Kingdom and Mali Empire, through the Hausa States, the Kanem-Bornu Empire and through into the resketched Nubian/Ethiopian Kingdoms on the West Coast. In addition the mod features african portraits (courtesy of the BLC Mod), new religions and cultures, and all religions playable. This mod isn't savegame compatible, and should only really be played from the 1066 Start as I only made history files for the initial 1066 Start bookmark. I'm willing to accept contributions from people who would like to expand the history files, just let me know :ninja:
(This mod requires the Mongol DLC, as it includes Shaytana's BLC)
On Historicity
NOTE: Like vanilla CK2, NAE is not 100% historically accurate, it is instead an abstraction where playability overrides historical fact. Despite this however I am always open to constructive criticism
and advice or tips on improving the historical nature of the mod.

Features
- Many new provinces (I lost count around 100 or so)
- Three dozen-ish new Duchies
- A Dozen or so new Kingdoms
- 3 New De Jure Empires
- 8 New Cultures
- African Portraits (couresty of BLC)
- Map Terrain Alterations
- Religion Additions and Alterations
New Animism Religion
Ibadi is no longer a heresy
Monophysite renamed to Coptic, is no longer a heresy and has a religious head based in Cairo.
New Judaism Religion
Each of the above have new custom religious icons
All religions are playable.

Always willing to listen to suggestions for new features so let me know if you have any!

This mod makes use of the community reserved ID ranges to ensure compatability.
Characters: 1,000,085,000 - 1,000,087,999
Dynasties: 1,000,032,000 - 1,000,032,999

Install/Uninstall
Install
0. Delete FTTK if you have it, it is a redundant mod and NAE represents it's new incarnation.
1. Extract the archive into your CK2\Mod directory, overwriting if necessary.
2. Run Crusader Kings II launcher and check North African Expansion (make sure to uncheck From Timbuktu to Kanem and/or All the Way from Timbuktu mods as they are both included in this mod).

Uninstall
Delete the folder "NAE" and the file "NAE.mod" from your Crusader Kings II\mod folder.

Incompatibility
This mod alters the following files and as such is incompatible with any mod that also does so:
\common\
landed_titles.txt
dynasties.txt
cultures.txt
religion.txt
static_modifiers.txt
buildings.txt
cb_types.txt
\map\
adjacencies.csv
default.map
definition.csv
positions.txt
provinces.bmp
terrain.bmp
topology.bmp
trees.bmp
\map\terrain\
colormap.dds
colormap_water.dds
(There may be more files it alters that have forgotten to list)

This mod makes use of the community reserved ID ranges to ensure compatability.
Characters: 1,000,085,000 - 1,000,087,999
Dynasties: 1,000,032,000 - 1,000,032,999

Known Issues or Bugs
Mozabite States borders aren't displayed, I can't fix this issue, I think it's just a quirk of the engine.

History
North Africa Expansion History
1.0 - Initial Release, CK2 1.05d Compatible.
Full Changelog
[Added/Changed]Redrew the entire Nubia/Abyssinia region, adding a dozen new provinces, renaming old provinces, and altering 1066 start.
[Added] Several new Titular Kingdoms in the newly redrawn Nubia/Abyssinia region.
[Added] Several new ethiopian characters.
[Added] Judaism Religion with custom icon.
[Added/Changed] New Ibadi Icon, Ibadi no longer a heresy.
[Changed] Monophysite is now called Coptic, has a new religious icon and has a religious head in Cairo.
[Changed] Kanem-Bornu; the Empire is now smaller, Hummay will start from a much stronger position in comparison, while competitors will be slightly weakened.
[Added] A couple of small wars between the Hausa States, to liven up the area.

-
From Timbuktu to Kanem History
1.4 - Added anachronistic (but still based upon history) Ibadi Mozabite Kingdom south of the atlas mtns.
1.3 - Added the Hausa States, removed the adjacencies.csv entry for Fezzan-Syrte, you'll have to go through the Hausa States or the Sennar-Assoungha Link now.
1.2c - Altered 1066 Start; Kanem-Bornu ruler is now Zaghawa Sunni, and starts at war with Ouaddai & Ennedi to better represent the civil war, Jolof Culture provinces in western africa have been made Animism religion, Kanuri & Zaghawa have been made default Pagan.
1.2b - Fixed some missing entries for Barony level titles.
1.2 - Integrated Little Portait Mod (African graphics for the african cultures)
1.1 - Fixed some issues spotted post-release, CK2 1.05c Compatible.
1.0 - Initial Build, 25.04.2012. CK2 1.05c Compatible
-

Contact
You can contact me via the Paradox Forums, name Korbah.

Credits
North Africa Expansion - Korbah
Original All the way to Timbuktu, and Wales Divided (which is now included in this) - Ijtzoi
Better Looking Characters - Shaytana
Original Research and plans for Nubia/Abyssinia - Mad King James
Ethiopian/Fatimid Baqt Approximation and Research - Kailvin
Tribal Raid CB - Meneth
Thanks to Paradox, Sleight of Hand and the rest of the community for their dedication to these fantastic strategy games and the modding community.

Licensing/Legal

North Africa Expansion Mod by Korbah is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Last edited:
Screenshots
NAE_Culture_Start.jpg
NAE_Religion_Start.jpg
NAE_Start_Realms1.jpg
NAE_Start_Realms2.jpg
NAE_People1.jpg
NAE_People2.jpg
NAE_De_Jure_Empires.jpg
NAE_De_Jure_Kingdoms.jpg

Last edited:
Noticed while playing that I forgot to include my editing adjacencies.csv and there was an issue with the zaghawa/hausa and kanuri mercenaries making them unhirable (wrong capital province). Fixed the issues and updated the download to 1.1.

If anyone is curious, there are 3 routes to access Kanem-Bornu from outside the area, via Syrte, Sennar and Tankodogo. I'd love to make it so armies take more attrition than normally getting there, and for it to take more time than 1 province over but I have no idea how, and until I impliment the hausa city states and darfur, that's how it'll have to be :mellow:

Considering for my mod I did a pile of research on this area. Lemme help you a bit. 1. Kanem-Bornu should start as pagan. from 1064-1068 it was in civil war in which the muslim's eventually won out. 2. Kanem bornu and the states around that area never truely established much control over anything. They were tributary empires like the mongols. Its going to be hard choice where the borders will be.

Ah I was wondering if it was actual war or not, I couldn't find much real information on conflicts in the area, just vague references to Hummay "removing" the old dugawa. The last dugawa king though was apparently also the first muslim king, that was why I chose to make him muslim, I've changed his culture to Zaghawa however, and save for the northern most counties they're all set to new animism religion. For the border of the empire as a whole I used a rough approximation of the "blob" from most maps of the empire during it's height that I could find, for the states they're completey ahistorical with names pinched from mostly the modern states that are in the area or nearby (would 100% accept suggestions for renames). Same thing with most of the dynasties I've added (could only find information on maybe...4 or 5 actual "dynasties" from the area).
Do you have any more information on the civil war, such as participants? I've made Hummay an independent duke in the far north with claims on the Empire, and added a couple of Zaghawa chiefs in the south east (using "Duguwa" as a dynasty) and given them claims on the empire too, to represent the old Zaghawa-based rulers theoretical descendents, at least culturally and religiously. I may make the game start with Hummay at war with Abd al-Djalil and those Zaghawa independents, I did want to encourage conflict by including those claims, might as well just start with full blown war :angry:

What I'd like to also do, is if Hummay wins the war, the Zaghawa disappear over a couple of years from the counties they currently inhabit (they disappeared from Kanem apparently in protest at islam or something to that effect).

Last edited:
Looks very nice. I like the modding that has been done on the Sahel, but I worry about ahistorical European wanderings in the region. I wish that we had temporary terra incognita. Oh well. Good luck with the mod. :)

Well until I fixed it Kanem was completely isolated from everyone. You could go back in to adjacencies.csv and remove the relevant entries to reisolate them if you'd like. I haven't added any weights for christian crusades into the area though, so papally enduced warfare in the area should be pretty low (i hope), I did add low weights for muslims though.

If anyone happens by who knows about mapping, I'm having an issue with Lake Chad. While it functions like a lake and "looks like" a lake from high up, when you zoom in you can still see sand dunes running through the lake, like the desert has only been coloured blue. I've edited basically every map .bmp and .dds I can find to try to get it look like water ala dead sea or caspian but nothing is working.

Last edited:
Updated download in first post to 1.2c
Changelog
[Fixed] Missing barony level titles.
[Added] Little Portraits Mod (now the africans look more african)
[Changed] Religion of Zaghawa & Kanuri provinces changed to Pagan.
[Changed] Religion of Jolof culture provinces in western africa changed to animism.
[Changed] Kanem-Bornu Empire now starts at war with Ennedi & Ouaddai in 1066.

Updated to 1.3 (Download link updated)
[Added] 13 new provinces between Timbuktu and Kanem based upon the Hausa City States.
[Added] Creatable Kingdom of Kano and 5 new Duchies.
[Changed] Names of some of the original 20 provinces have been changed from the last version.
[Changed] Added new Hausa Dynasties, altered names of a couple of the old ones.
[Removed] Adjacencies.csv entries into Kanem with the exception of Sennar-Assoungha (the Hausa States made them redundant).

Hey this is good work buddy. I'd like to see a similar revamp of the Ethiopian Empire because in vanilla there are just too few provinces to make it a de jure empire.

I'm glad you like it :D I'm planning on resketching the current "Nubia" (I don't know why, but after reading about the 3 Kingdoms, I'm kind of disappointed by the generic "Nubia" that was included) provinces when I add Darfur, if you have links to maps of the part of Ethiopia that's currently in the game so I can take a look I'll see about expanding the provinces in that part of africa too.

There was definitely a thread from when the game had just been released by a guy who had done a load of research for that part of the world. Not sure if he ever got round to releasing it, nor can I remember his name but I'll have a look and see if I can find it. It'll probably be about 50 pages back though. =/

I'd definitely be interested in adding your finished work to my mod if you'd be so kind. I've already added a titular Ethiopian Empire (which at the moment I've just given to the kings of Abyssinia) but because there's only about four or five duchies in the entire region it's not feasible to make it de jure. There's not even room for a de jure Nubian kingdom. :(

I guess it's just not considered an important part of the world so Paradox never did much work for it, but in vanilla they get crushed by the Shiites ASAP.

Having a look at that research would be a great help if it's still around. Feel free to use anything from my mod, I consider them open source as it were, although you'll need to ask Ijtzoi if you haven't already as the mod includes his Timbuktu additions.

You may also want to make some new CoAs for the provinces/duchies etc as I'm a fairly terrible CoA artist lol

There was definitely a thread from when the game had just been released by a guy who had done a load of research for that part of the world. Not sure if he ever got round to releasing it, nor can I remember his name but I'll have a look and see if I can find it. It'll probably be about 50 pages back though. =/

Here it is :)

Horn of Africa provinces

And he also posted this

Super. Thanks Veld! :)

Korbah, read thru that thread and maybe you can come up with something? I can help but I've never edited the map. I have fixed/linked up some of the Ethiopian names in my mod though, so you can use those.

So, I've been working on 1.4 which will include an expanded Nubia/Abyssinia based on Mad King James's research, with 29 provinces as opposed to the original 17-ish that made up the area.
Here's a shot of the redrawn provinces.bmp View attachment 53192

Also 1.4 will include an "easter egg" of sorts in the form of the Mozabite "States" in the desert south of the atlas mountains. It doesn't offer much but I liked the idea of a tiny "kingdom" based around a group of oases :rofl:
(Although I am having issues with the provinces appearing borderless for some reason with these Mozabites)

tingerman5273 said:
I like this mod, thank you. :)
You're welcome, I'm glad you like it :happy:

Sleight of Hand said:
Korbah, read thru that thread and maybe you can come up with something? I can help but I've never edited the map. I have fixed/linked up some of the Ethiopian names in my mod though, so you can use those.
The provinces.bmp is quite easy to edit once you know what you're looking at, the area I'm working in is fairly uncluttered and doesn't require a whole lot of messing with existing provinces, so I'm having an easier time of it than those editing existing lands :ninja:
Editing terrain is harder, it seems easy but never works properly for me, the water never appears as water, the ground is just coloured blue, and my rivers never appear, they just leave "dents" in the ground so I've given up doing that for now lol.

Last edited: