• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Max_Killjoy

General
May 1, 2018
The Flamer has internal ammo -- which seems to be defined by the "starting ammo" entry in the JSON file.

Could Autocannons be modified to start out with a round in the chamber?

Directly related: can you buy a ton of flamer ammo?

(For those not aware, the current Flamer is more of a "Vehicle Flamer" from TT rules, which has ammo. Used by non-Fusion powered vehicles).

I was thinking the same thing when I realized Flamers have limited ammo.

On one hand, it would be more "CBT/TT accurate" to give mech Flamers unlimited ammo. On the other hand, "boated" Flamers can get so cheesy in HBS BT that maybe they need that limitation to keep them in check.

Tonight, I think I'll drop a "1" in the starting ammo on some ACs and just see what happens in the game.

It works.

If you give a weapon "Starting Ammo", it will combine that number with the ammo count in the bins.

So, it's possible to set up Autocannons to have "one in the chamber" and start with an additional round of ammo.

Can't believe this never clicked with me before -- some of the ammo in this game is heavier than the ammo in CBT/TT.

1 ton of AC10 ammo was 10 shots (8 in this game).
1 ton of AC5 ammo was 20 shots (15).
1 ton of AC2 ammo was 45 shots (25 I think).

No wonder I'm feeling starved of ammo with a single ton of ammo for an AC5 or AC10.

Guess what I'm modding tonight...

BTW, on the ammo, I did go in and mod the ammo bins to match CBT/TT capacities, and it's been very nice. AC5 and AC10 are just that bit easier to fit on a mech when they don't need that 2nd or 3rd ton of ammo taking up mech weight.

The "one in the chamber" trick has also been a fun little thing, when I start doing a serious mod that's also going to be in there.

Can't believe this never clicked with me before -- some of the ammo in this game is heavier than the ammo in CBT/TT.

1 ton of AC10 ammo was 10 shots (8 in this game).
1 ton of AC5 ammo was 20 shots (15).
1 ton of AC2 ammo was 45 shots (25 I think).

No wonder I'm feeling starved of ammo with a single ton of ammo for an AC5 or AC10.

Guess what I'm modding tonight...

You know why right? The ACs do more damage but if you multiply by the ammo its roughly equivalent
ie
AC2 25 x 25 = 625
AC5 45 x 15 = 675
AC10 60 x 8 = 480
AC20 100 x 5 = 500
okay maybe not AC10 got shafted