[Mod] More AI Personalities - Tons of various new personalities for AI Empires!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Little screenshot preview of the next update, hopefully it'll be out sometime later this week. It will include two new personalities, Storytelling Aficionados and Trapped in a Machine. The former view reality as a story told by writers, the latter are fanatical purifiers who take heavy inspiration from the Matrix and see reality as a computer simulation created by sadists. I'd call this a fourth wall breaking themed update, but I dunno.

zHStv3B.jpg

tbq64dU.jpg

Since these two were made more for fun than anything, after this update I hope to focus more on adding new personalities to account for Banks causing an increase in certain vanilla personalities appearing such as Democratic Crusaders and Federation Builders.

EDIT: Also I just realized but in the first screenshot that should be "sadistic" not "masochistic" lol but I'm sure some Stellaris players are like that I guess.

Last edited:
Heads up for everyone: even though the new update is in a releaseable state, I will postpone release for Tuesday as the devs just announced earlier this week that Tuesday is when the Adams/1.6 patch will roll out. I'll see if I can throw in a few new lines of dialogue for existing personalities so I have a little more to add to the new update.

Last edited:
VERSION 1.4.0 is up, download on steam here!

MAP is now officially updated to 1.6/Adams. Major additions are two new personalities and some new dialogue for existing ones. Additionally, if you don’t have the Utopia DLC, Experts in Xenocide and Psychotic Hordes are now re-enabled and will hopefully appear in more reasonable numbers. Lastly, every personality in MAP is assigned a unique background (from vanilla’s backgrounds) like the vanilla personalities, I’ve tried to distribute them evenly as I could while still keeping them appropriate, but may change them around later if I feel like it.

Please note that because I had no choice but to modify the code dealing with the backgrounds, MAP is not compatible with any mod that changes “gfx/portraits/asset_selectors/room_textures.txt.” This probably includes most if not all mods that add in new backgrounds. If there’s a mod that changes this you like, I’ll only make a compatibility patch if the mod is popular enough; otherwise, I would prefer if the mod creator of that mod does the compatibility patch themselves.

Manual upload is finally up on first post again, seems like Chrome won't let me do it but Microsoft Edge will. *shrug*

Changelog:

• Updated to 1.6/Adams
  • Added two new personalities: Storytelling Aficionados and Trapped in a Machine
  • All personalities are now assigned specific backgrounds from vanilla, like the vanilla personalities
  • Added in new dialogue for most personalities when they are disloyal vassals
  • Added in new dialogue for the following personalities: Melodious Composers, Hopeless Pessimists, Depraved Breeders
  • Re-enabled Experts in Xenocide and Psychotic Hordes for users without Utopia DLC - they should appear at a more reasonable rate now for you
  • Fixed non-English localizations missing new dialogue added in recent updates
  • Other usual bugfixes and typo tweaks

Last edited:
Very glad to see this but the changelog is from the wrong mod...

Very glad to see this but the changelog is from the wrong mod...

Oh lol thanks for the heads up, fixed it. That's what I get for posting that late at night.

Hey cybrxkhan, just curious here, but where do you get your ideas from?

Anywhere, really. A number of them are inspired by cultures/civilizations/societies from history or other media, but others are just random stuff I come up with on a whim. It helps I guess that I'm a writer, too.

Perhaps a personality based on mining (civic_mining_guilds, pacifist) and manufacturing? Similar to the vanilla "Peaceful Traders".

Or a personality for a robot focused empire (civic_mechanists, materialist), happy robots or evil robots, it'd definitely be fun to see some at least. :)

VERSION 1.4.1 is up, download on steam here!

Smaller update for the 1.6.1 hotfix released earlier today. Main features are a new personality, Plunderers of Knowledge, among a few other smaller changes. I hope to do a major "themed update" again for 1.4.2 or 1.4.3, so stay tuned for more or something.

Manual upload available in first post as always.

Changelog:

• Added new personality: Plunderers of Knowledge
  • Splendid Isolationists, Inspired Dreamers, and Storytelling Aficionados now use the old Xenophile background
  • Hedonistic Visionaries and Connoisseurs of Food now use the old Egalitarian background
  • Meritocracy, Technocracy, Corporate Dominion, Mining Guilds, Slaver Guilds, or Efficient Bureaucrats civics are now requirements for Experts in Xenocide
  • Police State civic and Conformist trait now increases the chances of Enforcers of Law appearing
  • Deviant and decadent traits now decrease the chances of Enforcers of Law appearing
  • Slightly increased the chances of Inspired Dreamers, Princes of Madness, and Depraved Breeders appearing

Perhaps a personality based on mining (civic_mining_guilds, pacifist) and manufacturing? Similar to the vanilla "Peaceful Traders".

Or a personality for a robot focused empire (civic_mechanists, materialist), happy robots or evil robots, it'd definitely be fun to see some at least. :)

I've had requests for a robot-focused personality for a while, so it is on my to-do list but I keep forgetting lol. I do like the idea of a mining AI personality, kinda like a rougher and not as nice "Peaceful Traders", given that mining stuff is a standard trope in sci-fi.

OH MY F/&$§ GOD - I almost pissed in my pants - THIS is hillarious! :D:D:D

Great, absolutely great! To return back to the main menue, press 1

Thank you!

I really love this mod. It makes the galaxy much more varied and unpredictable.

That said I'd like to report a bug: the Storytelling Aficionados thought my authoritarian lizard people were "obviously on the side of freedom" or something along those lines. I'd assume they were just being delusional, but they were spot on about our materialistic love for science and everything else.

I really love this mod. It makes the galaxy much more varied and unpredictable.

That said I'd like to report a bug: the Storytelling Aficionados thought my authoritarian lizard people were "obviously on the side of freedom" or something along those lines. I'd assume they were just being delusional, but they were spot on about our materialistic love for science and everything else.

When I ran the game recently without MAP for testing, the galaxy felt a lot emptier since it seems with Banks/Adams certain vanilla personalities end up overrepresented.

Anyways thanks for the heads up, I just looked into it and it is a bug. Seems like I switched the dialogue for when you're authoritarian vs. when you're egalitarian in the code, and have fixed it in my local build. (In case you're bored and want to fix it yourself for now, go to "More AI Personalities/common/diplo_phases/MAP_diplo_phases.txt", and find the entries with "SA_COMMENTARY_GREETING_07" and "SA_COMMENTARY_GREETING_08", and switch the ethoses around.)

Hm....

Here are some good suggestions and ideas:

1) Romantic Expansionists: These beings are quite friendly (maybe a little too friendly) always flirting with other races, and always trying to woo you and everyone else into bed with them. They are quite open to trade and diplomatic alliances in addition to allowing the free migration of theirs and others' peoples. They like to expand so expect to see some primitive civilizations getting integrated into their empires. However, be warned: hell has no fury like a scorned xeno! Things that might tick them off like purging (they are okay with caste slavery since well some of them have unique...tastes ;P ) and if you close your borders to them, you will certainly have pressed their berserker button as they don't like being ignored! Treat them right and you'll have a friend (if overbearing and extremely flirty one) for life.

They'll probably be charismatic, communal, Xenophiles.

2) Liberal Fanatics: These extremely progressive people are nice and friendly and seem to be very approachable. However, things like slavery of any sort, purging, or interfering with primitive civilizations will make them extremely angry! Governments that are authoritarian and militaristic will not receive friendly greetings from them. They also don't like the destruction of AI pops so spiritualists will also receive not so friendly welcomes as well, unless said spiritualists are willing to allow the existence of AI pops, then they will appreciate and adorn your willingness to move past such narrow minded beliefs. They also don't like Democratic Crusaders seeing them as nothing more than conservative bigots who need to either be enlightened or destroyed. They also deeply care about the environment so don't colonize Gaia worlds if you want to stay on their good side.

Fanatic Egalitarian, Materialist, conformist, environmentalist, would fit this personality just right.

Hm...my brain just shorted out and just when I was on a roll too!

Hm....

Here are some good suggestions and ideas:

1) Romantic Expansionists: These beings are quite friendly (maybe a little too friendly) always flirting with other races, and always trying to woo you and everyone else into bed with them. They are quite open to trade and diplomatic alliances in addition to allowing the free migration of theirs and others' peoples. They like to expand so expect to see some primitive civilizations getting integrated into their empires. However, be warned: hell has no fury like a scorned xeno! Things that might tick them off like purging (they are okay with caste slavery since well some of them have unique...tastes ;P ) and if you close your borders to them, you will certainly have pressed their berserker button as they don't like being ignored! Treat them right and you'll have a friend (if overbearing and extremely flirty one) for life.

They'll probably be charismatic, communal, Xenophiles.

2) Liberal Fanatics: These extremely progressive people are nice and friendly and seem to be very approachable. However, things like slavery of any sort, purging, or interfering with primitive civilizations will make them extremely angry! Governments that are authoritarian and militaristic will not receive friendly greetings from them. They also don't like the destruction of AI pops so spiritualists will also receive not so friendly welcomes as well, unless said spiritualists are willing to allow the existence of AI pops, then they will appreciate and adorn your willingness to move past such narrow minded beliefs. They also don't like Democratic Crusaders seeing them as nothing more than conservative bigots who need to either be enlightened or destroyed. They also deeply care about the environment so don't colonize Gaia worlds if you want to stay on their good side.

Fanatic Egalitarian, Materialist, conformist, environmentalist, would fit this personality just right.

Hm...my brain just shorted out and just when I was on a roll too!

First one sounds quite similar to the Depraved Breeders and the Benign Spirits I already have, though I have had ideas for Tsundere and Yandere-type personalities, but those would be harder to do given the knobs I can turn. Second one if I understand it is basically the left-wing and materialist equivalent of Democratic Crusaders, then?

First one sounds quite similar to the Depraved Breeders and the Benign Spirits I already have, though I have had ideas for Tsundere and Yandere-type personalities, but those would be harder to do given the knobs I can turn. Second one if I understand it is basically the left-wing and materialist equivalent of Democratic Crusaders, then?

Ah I see. After I had posted this I thought there might have been one you've already done. Didn't expect two to be similar to my Romantic Expansionists suggestion!

And what sort of knobs would you have to deal with if you don't mind me asking?

Yes that is correct. According to TVTropes, the Democratic Crusaders are basically a parody of neoconservatism, so I figured eh why not have a parody of neoliberalism too! Although you might be able to come up with a better name for them though.

Looks like somebody stole my sweetroll.

Here's a preview of some WIP for the next update. Anybody who's known my earlier modding work from CKII probably should've expected this to happen eventually since I already put in Oblivion-based personalities.

vQf381T.jpg

5dUvOVJ.jpg

Ah I see. After I had posted this I thought there might have been one you've already done. Didn't expect two to be similar to my Romantic Expansionists suggestion!

And what sort of knobs would you have to deal with if you don't mind me asking?

Yes that is correct. According to TVTropes, the Democratic Crusaders are basically a parody of neoconservatism, so I figured eh why not have a parody of neoliberalism too! Although you might be able to come up with a better name for them though.

Mainly since tsunderes and yanderes are supposed to be kind of mentally unstable, it's hard to make the AI actually behave in an erratic manner, not to mention an erratic manner based on what happened before in the game. I could do it in a roundabout way via events and such, but that would be outside the scope of this mod. So I am basically (willingly) limiting myself to what code directly effects personalities, which isn't that much. Anyways, yes in that case I do have a couple ideas for that, but nothing concrete at the moment.

Mainly since tsunderes and yanderes are supposed to be kind of mentally unstable, it's hard to make the AI actually behave in an erratic manner, not to mention an erratic manner based on what happened before in the game. I could do it in a roundabout way via events and such, but that would be outside the scope of this mod. So I am basically (willingly) limiting myself to what code directly effects personalities, which isn't that much. Anyways, yes in that case I do have a couple ideas for that, but nothing concrete at the moment.

Ah okay. I see what you mean. Yeah that would be a bit difficult to make the AI act crazy.

Looks like somebody stole my sweetroll.

I suppose you could always fake it.

Create several personalities with different characteristics and modifiers, but all with the same name, description, and requirements. That way, if you run into them you're not going to immediately know how they'll act.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any way for AIs to shift personalities without changing ethics. Otherwise they could swap between those two personalities without it being obvious until you find that their desires have changed.

I suppose you could always fake it.

Create several personalities with different characteristics and modifiers, but all with the same name, description, and requirements. That way, if you run into them you're not going to immediately know how they'll act.

Unfortunately I don't think there's any way for AIs to shift personalities without changing ethics. Otherwise they could swap between those two personalities without it being obvious until you find that their desires have changed.

Essentially that's what I'd be doing with events and such, but for stuff more complex than mere opinion changes (and even then), I'd have to switch their ethics or traits or civics or whatever and that'd just be too much work for little gain, not to mention the headache it'd cause for bugtesting if there's bugs with it.

Essentially that's what I'd be doing with events and such, but for stuff more complex than mere opinion changes (and even then), I'd have to switch their ethics or traits or civics or whatever and that'd just be too much work for little gain, not to mention the headache it'd cause for bugtesting if there's bugs with it.

Oh man that's true. The bugtesting itself is a pain in the butt, even with simple things like creating custom systems!

VERSION 1.4.2 "Talos" is up, download on steam here!

This themed update adds in five new personalities inspired by Skyrim, which I really should have done a long time ago. These are the Proud Nationalists (Nords/Stormcloaks), Haughty Supremacists (Thalmor), Reclusive Hermits (Greybeards), Unfathomable Artificers (Dwemer), and Outcast Pariahs (Orcs). I guess there’s nothing else to say, so enjoy! Also, please feel free to check out my update for Cybrxkhan’s Assortment of Namelists as well, as it is also TES-themed this time, with a complete TES compilation namelist with most of my TES namelists bundled into one, for all your Tamriel-roleplaying needs.

Surprisingly, no arrow in the knee reference.

Manual upload available in first post as always.

Changelog:

• Added five new personalities: Proud Nationalists (Nords), Haughty Supremacists (Thalmor), Reclusive Hermits (Greybeards), Unfathomable Artificers (Dwemer), Outcast Pariah (Orcs)
  • Adventure Seeker personality now uses Fanatic Befrienders background room
  • Fixed Storytelling Aficionados mistaking your wishy-washy egotistical egalitarians for evil oppressive authoritarians and vice versa
  • Fixed missing declaration of war dialogue for Plunderers of Knowledge