• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Brilliant mod, wish I'd seen it before I started my own river and terrain modding!

Minor issues with the current download from first post (rapidshare links don't work):
-marsh terrain doesn't seem to be recognized automatically, so Holland etc. come up as 'ocean' terrain. Requires adding terrain = marsh to their province files. Likewise, marsh isn't localized nor has defender/attacker bonuses and maluses set. I found this in my own modding, but from a quick test of this mod it is present here too.
-topology.bmp isn't updated for 1.09 with the gap in the Elbe, to make Hamburg coastal.

thanks^^

-you might use the link in the very post, it is a static one.
-yes marsh are just displayed as a color on map but without any gameplay effect. we'll not not add any non purely map files to keep it as compatible as possible/usable as base for a more elaborated mod like SWMH does.
-yes, it is exactly the main aim of the next planned update mentionned above. we will probably start to improve the provinces map to fit better with rivers and topology.

That's something I've been doing in my own mod as well, redrawing province borders to better match the actual map. Tedious work :)

don't mind sharing your work or merging it with Mercator if it only focuses on vanilla map stuff.

new version !

-now fully up to date with 1.09 (Hamburg coast modification)
-added new islands (in Adriatic, Channel islands, Elbe...)
-some additional impassable mountains (well,mostly a complet overhaul indeed).
-added redrawn vanilla provinces map (mostly western Europe + Sahara/mali region)
-positions adjustments for those + enhanced positions for some regions

Provinces resketch comes mostly for my (in dormance) mapmod : Nova Regna Occidentalis, Europa Divisa (Elryck's mapmod), some borrowing stuff from Jordarkelf. I Thanks him here.

One note on balance.
-the resketch of provinces might affect a bit balance through some minor changes to pathfinding. It might probably be ignored, but please report if you see something weird.

One note on comaptibility.
The addition of provinces.bmp + positions.txt can break the compatibility with some mods. you can delete those without hurt to retablish a larger compatibility if needed.

Download Link in OP
Have Fun !

Thanks for the update! The new island are a real nice touch.

thanks. Elryck in his mapmod Europa Divisa (not sure he psoted the update here yet) had split those into separate provinces and additional republics in adriatic : a very republic fight playground^^

thanks. Elryck in his mapmod Europa Divisa (not sure he psoted the update here yet) had split those into separate provinces and additional republics in adriatic : a very republic fight playground^^
Hehe I've just done that. Adding Oversticht as a de jure part of Utrecht is also a good idea.
I did notice a few places where councilors or armies appear outside of the province, but I'm not sure if that is Mercator or Mercator + my changes.

Hehe I've just done that. Adding Oversticht as a de jure part of Utrecht is also a good idea.
I did notice a few places where councilors or armies appear outside of the province, but I'm not sure if that is Mercator or Mercator + my changes.

-a split of those too might be preferable but it is let to fellow modders to deal with additional provinces.

-don't mind reporting them. adjusting positions is boring as hell and leads to partial insanity after a few hours on it^^

You should add a link to the French topic in the first page, since it has some more nice screenshots :)

I've also edited terrain.bmp to get rid of the ugly coast line of Holland and various islands, specifically in Westfriesland and Denmark. Mainly I've filled in some islands where needed.
I've also made Etna mountainous, it is a volcano.

This does remove the water from the Suez Canal, so mod that back in should you want water there: http://erbkaiser.com/temp/terrain.7z

You should add a link to the French topic in the first page, since it has some more nice screenshots :)

external links are not very welcome. but I would post those screenies here too.

I've also edited terrain.bmp to get rid of the ugly coast line of Holland and various islands, specifically in Westfriesland and Denmark. Mainly I've filled in some islands where needed.
I've also made Etna mountainous, it is a volcano.

This does remove the water from the Suez Canal, so mod that back in should you want water there: http://erbkaiser.com/temp/terrain.7z

thanks again, I'll add those changes.

Hi,

I have a strange question here. I am looking to work this into a mod of mine but is it 1.091 compatible? Like do you know of any issues with it and 1.091? I will be testing it later but I probably wouldn't notice anything wrong unless it was pretty big of a deal.

Great mod by the way, I really appreciate all of the hard work that went into this.

Elyrck/Arko, mind if I ressurect thit thread to ask a (couple of) question?

I tried experimenting with your map and copy-pasted its contents to the Lux Invicta folder. Now the mod runs splendidly (though the geographical positions of some titles are off), except for one small thing - levies when raised appear slightly off, ie. not at their actual county. When I tried to issue a move order to the county it visually appeared to be, the arrow direction just loops like a u turn (ie. it goes first towards the county it's "actually at" before pointing back to where it's "currently at", ie. the destination).
Any idea what's causing this?

also, on a side note, since I couldn't find specific documentation, aside from aligned province borders (they're quite sensible and well done btw, on an aesthetic and gameplay point of view), were there any vanilla provinces that were removed/added?

and also, do you have any suggestions on how to implement NBRT+'s modified terrain.bmp (since it controls which texture goes where). Since Mercator uses a modified projection, some landmass are modified (most notably africa and brittania ...), any idea on how I could go about copying some of the NBRT+ texture map overlays (like the red for farmlands for example) into Mercator's terrain.bmp?
... well, aside from bugging EOOQE that is :laugh:

Last edited:
Elyrck/Arko, mind if I ressurect thit thread to ask a (couple of) question?

It's not dead. it just doesn't need update at every patch and can be somewhat burried in forum ;)

I tried experimenting with your map and copy-pasted its contents to the Lux Invicta folder. Now the mod runs splendidly (though the geographical positions of some titles are off), except for one small thing - levies when raised appear slightly off, ie. not at their actual county. When I tried to issue a move order to the county it visually appeared to be, the arrow direction just loops like a u turn (ie. it goes first towards the county it's "actually at" before pointing back to where it's "currently at", ie. the destination).
Any idea what's causing this?

There are a few positions errors, I have a fix under the hand for a few of them (I was quite lazy to update in fact :p ). but if you have identified some specicific ones, don't mind reporting, i'll check and correct them^^

also, on a side note, since I couldn't find specific documentation, aside from aligned province borders (they're quite sensible and well done btw, on an aesthetic and gameplay point of view), were there any vanilla provinces that were removed/added?
Pure vanilla.

and also, do you have any suggestions on how to implement NBRT+'s modified terrain.bmp (since it controls which texture goes where). Since Mercator uses a modified projection, some landmass are modified (most notably africa and brittania ...), any idea on how I could go about copying some of the NBRT+ texture map overlays (like the red for farmlands for example) into Mercator's terrain.bmp?
... well, aside from bugging EOOQE that is :laugh:
In fact, despite the name, the projection used is vanilla's with some very few tweaks -additional islands-.
Only conflicting file can be this terrain.bmp. I ran without any problem Mercator+ & NBRT+ since latest NBRT+ recent updates. then deleting NBRT+'s terrain file might do the trick (unless I mistaken NBRT+ uses as base the terrain file from SWMH that was initally borrowed from Mercator, but Aasmul did some more advanced work on it). hope I was clear enough, it sounds a bit confusing at re-reading lol
well, don't mind asking precisions if i didn't answered clearly enough ;)

There are a few positions errors, I have a fix under the hand for a few of them (I was quite lazy to update in fact ). but if you have identified some specicific ones, don't mind reporting, i'll check and correct them^^

In fact, despite the name, the projection used is vanilla's with some very few tweaks -additional islands-.
Only conflicting file can be this terrain.bmp. I ran without any problem Mercator+ & NBRT+ since latest NBRT+ recent updates. then deleting NBRT+'s terrain file might do the trick (unless I mistaken NBRT+ uses as base the terrain file from SWMH that was initally borrowed from Mercator, but Aasmul did some more advanced work on it). hope I was clear enough, it sounds a bit confusing at re-reading lol
well, don't mind asking precisions if i didn't answered clearly enough ;)

I'm curious if you'll be updating them some time, or at least releasing a patch :laugh:
so far, I only noticed one position-error county, but I forgot where. I'll take a screenie the next time I run the game.

as for NBRT+, it does use SWMH's base file. SWMH doesn't use the same map as Mercator though (ie. as I pointed out, Brittania and africa are slightly different). this does cause a problem since I can't just directly copy NBRT+'s terrain map, which does redefine quite a lot :laugh:

also, something I noticed - zooming out far enough makes black shadows show up in certain lakes and shores. not sure if it's because of my shoddy porting work :laugh:

I'm curious if you'll be updating them some time, or at least releasing a patch :laugh:
so far, I only noticed one position-error county, but I forgot where. I'll take a screenie the next time I run the game.
Yes, I will of course. I also need what to do with horrific "major rivers" feature and the ugly scares they make on map. + major inacurracies for where they flow (Paradox just seem doesn't want to cut provinces with them, causing major errors).

as for NBRT+, it does use SWMH's base file. SWMH doesn't use the same map as Mercator though (ie. as I pointed out, Brittania and africa are slightly different). this does cause a problem since I can't just directly copy NBRT+'s terrain map, which does redefine quite a lot :laugh:

also, something I noticed - zooming out far enough makes black shadows show up in certain lakes and shores. not sure if it's because of my shoddy porting work :laugh:

-ok, SWMH seem to have follow a much different path now for this. in short, NBRT+ without terrain.bmp & Mercator should work for vanilla. i didn't tested with very latest versions but it ran smootlhy with previous ones.
as for SWMH it can only use the compatch.

-yes, somewhat common glitches on topology when I was a bit noob at modding it. I've made progress on this since the initial Mercator mod but i don't think i will rework the whole coasts ;)