• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

grallonsphere

Colonel
55 Badges
Mar 31, 2006
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Master Builders3.jpg

MASTER BUILDERS v. 2.0

Download & Install

- You can download the ZIP file here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/4u8217ha9cy0n33/Master_Builders_v.2.rar

- Unzip and copy the folder and mod file under : ...\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod

----------

Compatibility

I am using version 1.111 of CKII and all the currently published DLCs - except for the silly Aztec one.

This was not tested with any other major meta-mod - because it was (and still is...) intended for TPTT - but I modestly think it could make a worthy addition to any of the historical ones. I therefore grant permission to any or all who wishes to use it - provided credit is given.

----------

Description

Generalities

This module was designed to be incorporated in "The Prince & the Thane" metamod. Therefore it concentrates solely on the modelization of social and economical development through the buildings you can build in your holdings. Because of this there are not, at this time, any advanced modelization through events such as you could find in "Magnate Lords", which I originally co-authored with APG.

Master Builders aims to enhance, as much as the CKII engine allows, the depth of the role playing experience by adding a socio-economical dimension to the game. The basic idea is that the holdings in any given province are interdependent on each other. Their development is intended to progress in parallel - each bonifying the other in order to create wealth and simulate the social and economical evolution during the time period. Another fundamental idea is that within each holding the buildings are linked in chains, tied to each other, and dependent on external factors such as technological levels, ranks or cultural and/or religious alliegeances.

This gives us 2 main building trees, divided along religious lines: the monotheistic one and the pagan one. Each being in turn divided into: ecclesiastical, feudal and urban categories - to match their corresponding holdings. Add to this the republican dimension and its trading post adjuncts and you have:

- a remodeled Technological Tree that is both less generic and more historically accurate than the vanilla one;
- 354 structures shared between the Christian, Muslim and Republican holdings;
- 86 structures for the Pagan holdings;
- 54 unique structures related to cultural variations (a fusion of the vanilla CastleCulture & CastleSteppe files);
- 7 landmark structure chains distributed according to historical settings (many more could be added);
- finally 15 unique Jewish structures (currently disabled).

Practicalities

Each holding is organized according to the same general logic:

- a core structure that anchors all building chains in the holding - the human settlement;
- support structures that uphold and reinforce the Anchor - defensive and economical structures;
- vocational structures that expand on the primary ethos of each holding - they vary depending on the type of holding;
- specialized structures that further refine the vocation of the holding - they vary depending on the type of holding;
- unique structures that are historically relevant to specific provinces.

*NOTE: Feudal (castle) and ecclesiastical (temple) - or clerical - holdings are land endowments granted under the feudal land tenure system. They are agrarian in function and devoted to the extraction & basic processing of resources. As such their initial tax assessment is identical. Wheareas urban holdings - or Municipia - are self governing entities where the commercial activities, advanced processing and manufacturing take place. Indeed this mirrors the increased basic value that cities have over other types of holdings in the static modifiers file.

Exemple:

- human settlements are the anchor of any holding. In order to advance to the next level of settlement you will need to build a number of structures.

- so in the case of a feudal (castle) holding you would begin with a 'Serf Hamlet' - in order to reach the next lvl - the 'Baronial Village' you would need to build:

1) the 1st lvl of keeps -> (Timber Tower)
2) the 1st lvl of walls -> (Wooden Palisade)
3) the 1st lvl of garrisons -> (Levy Muster Grounds)
4) the 1st level of farms -> (Indentured Acreages)
5) the 1st level of administrative buildings -> (Tithe Barn)

- When all these have been built, and you have developed Urbanism lvl 1 and Feudal Privileges lvl 1, the 2nd level of settlements unlocks.

- with the passing of time and further technological growth other structures becomes available, some specialized, some unique. But always the development of the holding is driven by the growth of the settlements.

- Some structures can be built only if your character is of a certain rank - or of a specific religion - or a specific culture.

- Most structures are dependent on the presence of others in the holding before they become available.

The building chains of Pagans are limited to 3 levels - to represent their backwardness.

*NOTE: Because of the hard coded limitations of the engine only Christian & Muslims can have simultaneous buildings. Which means that when a Christian lord conquers a Muslim holding all the buildings present remain standing but change name. However it appears Paradox forgot about Pagans so if you conquer a Pagan holding all previously built structures disappear. Which makes sense in a way - Christians or Muslims would most likely tear down most buildings built by heathens.

The Technological Tree has been rewritten to be more realistic (in my opinion) and to take into account the way the tech engine functions since 1.10 & ToG.

technologies.jpg

- the 4 main technologies that govern development are: Urbanism, Civil Engineering, Military Engineering & Manoralism

- several buildings require secondary technologies such as: Mercantile Practices, Industrial Techniques, Natual Sciences, Shipbuilding, etc

- the progression of the building chains follows this pattern:

level 1 = tech lvl 0 + extra_tech_building_start = 0.2
level 2 = tech lvl 1 + extra_tech_building_start = 0.4
level 3 = tech lvl 2 + extra_tech_building_start = 0.6
level 4 = tech lvl 3 + extra_tech_building_start = 0.8
level 5 = tech lvl 4 + extra_tech_building_start = 1.0
level 6 = tech lvl 5 + extra_tech_building_start = 0.6

*NOTE: I made it such not only to approximate the development of knowledge within the scope of the game's time frame but also to account for the large number of buildings dependent on others - and the slow AI of course.

- the starting tech lvls for each of the religious/cultural groups have been increased to stimulate early development - as such:

- START_MIL_CATHOLIC = 1.0 - START_MIL_MUSLIM = 1.5 - START_MIL_BYZANTIUM = 1.2 - START_MIL_OTHER = 0.6
- START_ECO_CATHOLIC = 1.0 - START_ECO_MUSLIM = 1.5 - START_ECO_BYZANTIUM = 1.6 - START_ECO_OTHER = 0.5
- START_CUL_CATHOLIC = 1.0 - START_CUL_MUSLIM = 1.2 - START_CUL_BYZANTIUM = 1.8 - START_CUL_OTHER = 0.4

- the progression of the building chains for Pagans goes from level 0 to level 2 which brings them at full capacity around 1050.

*NOTE: Since the game seeds provinces at game start according to their technological development level, and since there is (to my knowledge) no known way to control that level in a given province, all the vanilla province files have been included and stripped of any buildings. I would have liked very much to model certain key provinces but the only way I found was to add chains that have a requirement of tech lvl = 0 - extra_tech_building_start = 0.0. And even then there is no guarantee they will appear. I have no idea why.

*NOTE: Because of the above I have designed a building chain specically for Vikings - to simulate - and tone down - the Viking raids: the Norse harbours. It is available only in feudal (castle) holdings of the norse_germanic cultural group *when* pagan.

A revised landed_titles.txt is inculed where I rewrote all the 'de jure' borders of the game according to a principle I call: "organic borders"; that is to say the borders a lord would strive to achieve according to geographical limitations. As such I have removed all the 'science-fiction' empires included in Vanilla and left only 4 empires standing:

- the Holy Roman Empire - whose borders mirror the Caroligian Empire at its greatest extent;
- the Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantine) - whose borders partly mirror both the Theodosian division and the Justininan conquests;
- the Persian Empire - which includes Persia, Mesopotamia and Khiva;
- the Arabian Empire - which includes the Arabian Peninsula.

empires.jpg
Revised 'de jure' imperial borders

germania.jpg
Revised 'de jure' ducal borders of Germany

gallia.jpg
Revised 'de jure' ducal borders of France

Everything presented above is detailed in a more graphic format in indexes which are included in the ZIP package.

----------

Last edited:
This mod seems to be well thought out!

When say you conquer pagan lands and your tech level is enough for more advanced (stone) buildings, is it possible to skip some of those early (wooden) buildings?

Don't know about the HRE borders will this not lead to endless wars with France?

This sounds awesome, more options in building your realm is always a good thing. Sound slike this idea has been thought through completely :)

When say you conquer pagan lands and your tech level is enough for more advanced (stone) buildings, is it possible to skip some of those early (wooden) buildings?

Don't know about the HRE borders will this not lead to endless wars with France?

Sadly no since upon conquest, all pagan buildings are removed. And since all buildings are tied to each other you need what precedes before you get to build the higher levels. Look at the XLXS files included it will be clear.

Regarding the 'de jure' borders - they are merely a suggestion. You can always remove that file or rework it - the core of the mod is the building system. I included that because of my intense dislike for the plethora of petty empires we find in Vanilla. In fact my original thought was to have only one empire - the old unified Roman Empire - I may still try that and see how it plays out.

Last edited:
To clarify, this will work with 1.11 and TOG even though TPATT is for 1.092?

Does the "backwardness" of pagans remain if they have reformed their religion?

Does the "backwardness" of pagans remain if they have reformed their religion?

Yes. The Vanilla buildings were all generic - no distinction no matter the religion or culture. This mod allows for variation - but the engine isn't *that* flexible. The code looks for domain holders that are pagan, irrespective of culture. If a province falls into the hands of a Christian or Muslim - the existing buildings are destroyed.

On the other hand I suppose the reformed condition could be removed - in which case becoming reformed should, logically, unlock the monotheistic building tree.

Last edited:
A very interesting mod and I agree with Oorlog that it looks well thought out. :)

Regarding your suggestion for the de jure borders, that's tbh a bit twofold. I can follow the suggestions for the imperial tier, however I'm not as convinced about the ducal suggestions for France and the Holy Roman Empire. Though I might be a bit too familiar with maps (depicting territories) from these regions.

However I'll certainly try the builders section of this mod. :)

I really like it, big improvement over the stunningly original buildings in Vanilla like Walls I and II or Keep III...

Also gives me hope that Prince and Thane will be adapted to Old Gods eventually ;D

I'd like to point out that, because cultural buildings are tied to culture and religion, some cultures get shafted out of cultural buildings, making their armies rather generic. I'd have to look harder to tell every single culture which this happen, but i can confirm the saxons (who are catholics in every start) don't have the housecarls chain of buildings. I would assume that every other culture would also lose it in case of conversion for any religion group.
Unless this is intended, i think the solution would be either to set up a different chain for all cultures with every religious group (very demanding), or remove the religious requisites for the cultural buildings.

...Unless this is intended, i think the solution would be either to set up a different chain for all cultures with every religious group (very demanding), or remove the religious requisites for the cultural buildings.

I already came to this conclusion now that I'm working at adapting MB to Project Balance. Another damning effect of religion as a Potential is that you can't add buildings in the history files to have them already present at game start. Now I'm thinking to have the entire building tree fro pagans as series of cultural chains - replacing the equivalent structures in the main tree. Now all this would be superfluous if there was a command to rename buildings as there is for Muslims... but another thing Paradox ommited it seems.