• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I downloaded the .3b mod, but the mods not working, and the scenario is just the same as the standerd 1066 one. I'm not sure what to do so any help would be nice here's some screenshots:

ck2_3.jpg

ck2_2.jpg

The religions and cultures havent changed, but for some reason the de jure kingdoms and empires of Lux Invicta are there:

ck2_4.jpg

Also the building list:

ck2_1.jpg

Help please?

Last edited:
1_events.csv:
Code:
EVTDESC554350014;While walking around through town you a begger latches on to you. He claims to be an old friend of your father, now fallen into destitution.;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
This one has several problems. Choose one of around or through (either work, with slightly different nuance,, but the combination doesn't really), eliminate the first "you", and beggar is the correct spelling. I'd also put a comma after "town".

@wolfcity: Some of the stuff you're seeing (mangled portaits, missing localization) are similar to the first time I tried Lux Invicta. Try deleting the Lux folder and reinstalling, that worked for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been following this mod since its inception. I have to say congratulations. I'm not sure I can ever go back to vanilla. I love the fragmentation and am personally a huge fan of alternate history in general. I can't wait till you get to the polishing of the religions as for some reason I find religion in this game immensely enjoyable. Truly this undertaking is just marvelous.

Anyway to the point of my post, A suggestion I have regarding the history, might be to have either an implementation involving events for various regions fire at the start giving a brief history of that specific region. Another thought might be to a more complex setup under intrigues that fires a series of event prompts allowing you to select either the history for various religions/cultures/regions/empires ect. having it almost like an encyclopedic look up. I understand both of those suggestions would involve a bit of work, but they are ideas.

I can't wait till you get to the polishing of the religions as for some reason I find religion in this game immensely enjoyable. Truly this undertaking is just marvelous.

I have been working a bit on this aspect with Sheytana, lately. A bit later today I will make an announcement, I think you will like it...

@TheConqueror

Nice choices! Any would do really, they're all very interesting! I can't make my mind up. :D

@keytool

Judaeo-Christian elements are included. Partly as a reaction against-Christianity, Ēōsphoros becomes Lucifer. Part of his mythology is centered around his Battle with Yahweh and Christ. He is the true Creator of Humanity and Redeemer, the Fallen God, rising again in the Morning. He overcomes Yahweh who is seen as an Opressor God, to help liberate humanity and bring Salvation. He is a Lord of Hosts, a Battle-Lord of the Morning, locked in battle with Yahweh, until his future victory and Redemption of Humanity in His Light.

@wolfcity:

Maybe you should follow richvh's advice. If that does not work...errrr the most radical you can go is uninstall CK2 and delete the CK2 folder in your documents folder then install the last version of Lux. I never had these issues on either of my 3 computers. :eek:o

@richvh

Aye, obvious mistakes made in my haste, my brain wanders sometimes and words appear/disappear and nonsense is formed hehehhe. Fixed now.

@jackace08

I am currently constantly updating the HISTORICAL TIMELINE part of the first post to give people an overview of history. I will also be implementing various things in game, the first of which is the continous addition of Blood traits with history/biographies attached. Numahr is working on something MAJOR regarding religions which should help. :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I will be continuing to update the TIMELINE in first post, in preparation of the future setup changes.

While I need to see to some RL stuff for now, I would appreciate if I get some feedback on fortifications/garissons and siege times. Lux Invicta promotes a HARD TO CONQUER - long to siege, long regional conquest campaigns models with great fortified bastions but I do not want to go overboard - because people don't share my preference for campaigns potentially failing because of sieges. (My original design had sieging as a hazardous affair - I wanted to make it so your army could be completely DECIMATED and lost while sieging) In my experience the AI could manage to build large states even with the long sieges of 0.3A and I don't see why the player can't do it either (I could do it everytime I tried) it just takes more military buildup before you can take on the better fortified regions. I also want to promote a "build your state first" THEN expand model somewhat. I actually think that I've gone overboard atm downgrading provincial defenses.

Thanks for the fast reply and explantion! Makes a lot more sense to me now. As long as the update is save compatiable I'll be sure to test late-game sieges, I'm at 1401 as the Rurikings, the latest game I've played in CK2 at all, technology spread is also much better I might add, as of .03a.

Glad to hear!
--------------------

I've updated the timeline to 85 BCE. Another Alexandreia Eschate, this time on the Pacific? Quite right! Could that future Chinese invasion I was talking about as a goal of mine to implement in a distant future be entirely different than what you expected? :ninja: Could the Chinese Heirs of Alexandros be coming Home with the distinct approval of the Mandate of Heaven?

Announcing....:

SELIN
Spirituality Enhanced for Lux Invicta by Numahr

Note: I need to update this page. It still acts as a good general presentation of what SELIN is. List of features, however, is rather outdated. Basically it predates the release of the Old Gods and does not yet explain how SELIN evolved (or, is evolving) to take into account all the great features brought by this expansion.

Goal
SELIN aims to bring strategic depth and reinforced immersion to Lux Invicta's religions

Instructions
- Generally, SELIN gets integrated in the game files, so there is no need to make a separate download.
- The latest official releases of SELIN get integrated in Lux Invicta 0.6x released by riknap (see original post).
- In addition, more recent tweaks and bugfixes are included in beta files to be found at the end of the thread. In particular, look for LIBERT3 files by Riknap.
- If you want to play the legacy version corresponding to the latest official release by Shaytana, download the file at the bottom of this post for a version compatible with Lux Invicta 0.6a as released by Shaytana for CK 1.6b, and unzip it in your Lux Invicta folder, making sure to replace files when prompted. Note that this version is not supported anymore. Practically it is functional but does not include the latest features.

Why?
Lux Invicta includes no less than 156 religions. This mad religious set up has something epic in that it mixes well documented historical developments with crazy creativity in an unique blend.

Clearly the presence of so many spiritual constructs shows a world deeply infused by religion. However, with the present system, it makes no big difference to belong to one or another of these diverse religions. This was my immediate frustration when I played the mod, as I wanted to "feel" the game differently depending on the faith of my character and of my empire.

So I started thinking, asked Shaytana permission, and set up to work...

New spiritual challenges!

In the Levant...

- As Prince of Sabaa, give back to the Old Gods Almaqah and Ash-Shams their due; the Empire of Arabia!

- You worship the Kaaba in Mecca... as it is the siege of your God's presence on Earth, Hubal. Drive the heretical Mahometans far away from your holy place!

- True Islam has been distorted by the foul practices of the Sunni Caliph... Preserve Mahomet's authentic message, battle the Caliph over it and restore Islam to its original purity, as the leader of the Zahiri, Haruriyyah or Ash'ari sect! (all coming with different modifiers justified by the specificities of each madhhab)

- Lead the Hashashins in battle and in covert actions! Your heretical messianic Qarmatian sect, infused with strong Persian influences, gives you the best assassins of the Levant, impregnable forts, a good recruitment system and fanatical soldiers who will happily die for you on your order. Your faith also gives you a taste for learning and a remarkable piety. Your neighbors fear and hate you... What are you waiting to strike first?!

- As a Yahianist Leader, will you be able to unite all these quarreling religions through your messianic message? Your gnostic heretical messianic religion provides you with a steady supply of fanatical martyrs-to-be and an unrivaled piety...

- As ruler of the rationalist 'Ilm Islam, will you survive more militarist neighbors to become a beacon of enlightenment to the world, bringing forth a real "Renaissance" of the classical values when the prophet was discussing about the Love of Reason in passionate debates?

- As King of the last bastion of the Luwian religion, will you be able to keep alive and make prosper again the 2 millenia-old Hittite faith? Most call your religion archaic, but you only know what the true meaning of civilization is...

In the Orient...

- As a follower of Mazdak, will you be able to conduct your populist revolution and force true equality on this world? Petty or Grand rulers tend to hate you because of your revolutionary message, your provinces are self-ruled and you'd rather share the commoners' poverty, but your people is ready to die en masse for their precious liberty...

- As the leader of one of the Hindo-Hellen faiths, prove to the others that your own religious synthesis, created by your forefathers, is the superior one! All of them are close to each other, well suited for patient empire-building and cultural development, with slight differences in style depending on their Ascendants...

- As a Parthian worshiper of Angra Mainyu/Ahriman, you swore to release the Destructive Spirit on the lands of the meek worshipers of Ahura Mazda. Burn all the Zorostrian clergy and the wicked heirs of the doomed Sassan clan in one holy Fire of Vengeance and Salvation!

- As a follower of the true Zoroastrian religion... your faith is your ally in re-building the empire. The clergy can provide you the necessary legitimacy to your ambitions. Will Cyrus the Great and Shapur II the Great recognize you as the restorer of the Persian Empire?

How?

The basic mechanic I use is modifiers. There may be more coming in a distant future. But for now SELIN is a system where each religion is characterized with modifiers impacting those who follow it: characters and provinces.

There are 156 religions, each with a peculiar historical background, spiritual doctrine and intermixed influences. As "researching" in-depth all 156 religions to come up with tailored modifiers would have been just too much, I decided to go with a systemic approach. This is how the Matrix of Religions came to be.

The Matrix of Religions

This is a way to design unique modifiers for each and any religion present in Lux Invicta in a manageable and understandable manner. Basically each religion is defined by three mandatory characteristics + an optional one:
- It belongs to a Civilization;
- Its doctrine has a Status;
- It has a Soul.
- Optionally, it may have an Ascendant, which is basically another Civilization with only 50% influence.

Typology of Religions

Each characteristic is given modifiers. These may change and get tweaked over time. Anyway, below are the basics of my typology of religions.

Civilizations:

- Christian: Focus on strong rural fortified holdings and special privileges to the clergy.
Castles provide more income, churches less. Above average fortifications. +1 diplo / -1 fertility

- Islamic: Efficient tax systems, great cities but dynastic distrust.
City-focused government styles. Distrust within the same dynasty. Tax bonus. +1 martial / -1 diplo

- Persian: Strong dynastic feeling and good statesmen and administrators, capable of mustering large armies through a forced conscription system.
Good quantitative administration style results in more levy and better taxes but less land morale. Strong dynastic culture. +1 stewardship / -1 martial.

- Jewish: Sectarian tendencies and a strong focus on commercial matters.
Strong inter-community solidarity but despised by other religions. +2 STE / -1 DIPL / -1 MAR. Economic research bonus

- Greek-Roman: Strong interest in civic matters and well organized military.
Well drilled armies, heirs of centuries of martial traditions, with excellent system to bring reinforcements. Rely more on contributions of the citizens of great cities for the economy and war. Research bonus on culture. Heirs of a glorious classical civilization recognized by every one: monthly prestige bonus.

- Gnostic: sectarian tendencies, devoted warriors and an emphasis on temples.
A bit "sectarian": bonus influence on same religion vs malus on infidels, small morale bonus, slightly less tax and levy except in temples but monthly piety bonus and faster reinforcements rates. +1 LEA / -1 DIP

- Buddhist: pacifist stance except for monasteries' warrior monks, and a strong interest for art and culture.
Pacifist civilization, with a tradition of warrior monks (strong bonus of temple levy). Strong cultural research bonus for each Buddhist province. -2 MAR/ +1 LEA / +1 STE

- Steppe / Tengri: strong emphasis on military prowess, reliance on rural areas and low division of labor.
Gengis Khan. Less tax income but more levies from rural areas. Rulers rely more on castles (steppe) and less on cities (sedentarians). Fort level reduced. Strong bonus in military tech but malus in economic and cultural. Revolt risk. +3 MAR / -1 in STE, LEA and DIP.

- Norse: strong emphasis on martial prowess and a focus on small holdings.
Vikings. A bit like Tengri but less extreme.

- Celtic: key role of the clergy in administrating daily life, a focus on small holdings and individual martial prowess.
Feudal links weaker. Slight income malus. Morale bonus. Relies more on castles than on cities. -1 INT / +1 MAR

- Indian: weak feudal links, influential temples and a mysterious sensuality.
Weak feudal links. Larger armies with less morale. Strong bonus for temples. -2 DIP / +2 INT. Kama Sutra sensuality: sex appeal and fertility bonus

- Archaic: spiritual heir of the first religions born in the cradle of empires, Mesopotamia.
Old religions still alive in the fertile crescent and Mesopotamia. Opinion malus, tech malus except in culture, poor mobilization of castles, lower fertility. But good tax systems, strong fortifications, only civilization with build rate bonus and believers are good administrators.

- Barbarian: emphasis on rural areas, individual martial prowess and low division of labor.
Like celtic but a bit more extreme, no such importance of druids, research malus in culture and economy but bonus on military.

Doctrinal status:

- Mainstream doctrine: Its doctrine is mainstream: it is recognized as one of the main doctrinal systems in its most legitimate form.
Characters of mainstream religions gain prestige and are generally well considered. Temples enjoy tax privileges (tax malus for rulers).

- Local Variation: Local Variation of a mainstream religious current, favoring social harmony over doctrinal purity.
Church does not like it but vassals do. More pragmatical (stewardship) but cynical characters.

- Heretical doctrine: Its doctrine is Heretical, openly challenging the supremacy of a mainstream doctrine, either through the pen or the sword.
Politics and economics are more challenging but the believers have overall personal bonii. These religions rely more on communities around temples and castles where heresies tend to flourish, and less so on cityfolk. They improve defenses and fortifications. Levy growth bonus. Better military research.

Soul:
This is the most influential characteristic

- Statist: the faith is strongly infused with legitimation rethorics supporting political power, as the religion is instrumentalized by the Prince to strengthen its hold on society.
Religion instrumentalized by the ruler. Reduces RR but decreased opinion of vassals and church. Increased tax, especially of church. Armies better organized and reinforced quicker. Culture tech bonus but malus on economy. Prestige bonus. +1 STE / +1 DIP / -2 LEA

- Martial: heroic deeds on the battlefield are glorified as the finest sign of holiness.
Straightforward bonus on military balanced by malus in other areas

- Populist: strives to achieve equality in this world, supporting the commoners against the privileged classes and doctrinal formalism.
Strong political malus, average economic malus but large number of fanatical, if unorganized levies.

- Scholarly: encourages critical study or creative interpretation of holy scriptures, natural and social phenoma to reach the Truth. Key doctrinal questions are open to contradictory debates among the clergy and believers.
Significant martial malus and limited political malus for strong research bonus and limited administrative bonus.

- Messianic: believers see the state of the world as hopelessly flawed, but their divine-inspired deeds shall bring forth salvation in our time, against all odds!
Excellent morale and fast reinforce rate, strong piety bonus, focus on temples at the detriment of cities, focus on military techs at the detriment of others, strong fort bonus, tax malus

- Traditional: the faith follows the ancient traditions of the commoners and local notables, and it has slowly evolved, if at all, throughout the recent era of troubles and turmoils.
Vassals are happy and soldiers have a good morale, but low tax and research. Larger levies, but it takes time to replace losses.

- Clerical: the religion revolves around the many rules and rites set up by the clergy, which enjoys a privileged status in society and a large degree of autonomy from the Prince.
Mild modifiers. Slight income malus, especially on temples, but less revolt risk, good church relation and piety bonus.

Definition of Religions

This is the fun part! I defined the above-described characteristics for each and every religion. A few examples:
- Yahyanism: Gnostic heretical messianic religion
- Zoroastrianism: Persian mainstream clerical religion
- Hindo-Hellenic Buddhist: Greaco-Roman local statist religion with Buddhist ascendant

The Matrix then computes automatically the modifiers for each religion, based on the Typology. And all is left is to code it!

Legacy of Rome Orthodox mechanics imported and adapted

SELIN integrates the mechanics for the Orthodox religion introduced by the Legacy of Rome to the world of Lux Invicta, taking into account the specific background of the alternate history. The following religions benefit from mechanics developed for Orthodox religions in the Legacy or Rome DLC:

- 12 Christian religions: Adoptionist, Apollinarist, Arian, Audianist, Docetist, Melkite, Monophysite, Monothelitist, Orthodox, Pelagian, Sabellianist and Semipelagian;

- The 5 Neo-Platonic: Neoplatonic, Porphyryan, Platonic Pythagorean, Platonic Islam and Platonic Christian;

- The 5 Classical Graeco-Roman : Graeco-Roman, Jupiter Optimus Maximus, Alexandros-Ammon, Cybele, Imperial Cult;

- The 3 Mithraic religions: Mithraic, Mithraic-Christian, Eosphorist.

- The 9 Solar religions benefit from it: Apollo-Heliosean, Apollo-Boreasean, Solar-Christian, Al-Shams Islamic, Solar-Manichean, Ódinn-Sólar, Horsic and Ts'ähäy Mahremite. These religions, which are often syncretic ones mixed with "barbarian" cults, are now differentiated from more traditional neighboring religions, due to their strong affiliation to the "Imperial" Solar religion.

These religions can nominate an Autocephale Patriarch if rulers following them has a King tier title, and compete for complementary "Pentarchies", the four holiest sites of Lux Invicta's Greek-Roman world, together with the seat of their own respective patriarchates.

As per design decision of Shaytana, out of these religions, only a few (e.g. Arianism, Monophysitism and Neoplatonism) have a permanent, universal Head. All others will need to either create an Autocephale Patriarch by reaching the King tier, or by taking control of one of the four seats of complementary "pentarchies" to create a local Pentarch.

- The four "complementary" pentarchies shared between these religions are Rome, Jerusalem, Carthage and Alexandria.

Current Status and Next Steps

See work plan in my signature.

Finally, longer term goals include:

- decision/event system related to the religions' souls
- optional modules to adapt the pentarchy system to other religious groups
- adapt the "mending the schism" mechanic or finding a way to give a reward to a religion controlling the four complementary pentarchies
- deepen the military aspects with combat modifiers (ex.: making heretical light infantry more difficult to rout, they would rather die)

Here is a snapshot at the future soul-based decision/event system:

If you want to help, please let me know! See the section below.

Access to the Matrix and contributions

You can access the matrix here (version 07/10/2013). That will let you see how modifiers work.

View attachment SELIN-HowTo.txt
View attachment SELIN-Templates-2012-10-19.txt

Thanks

Thanks go to:
- Futuregary for maintaining the module in my absence
- ColonelWright for coding 48 religions and drafting tailored descriptions (Pontifex Maximus of SELIN)
- david3k for partially coding 19 religions (Priest of SELIN)
- Jedrek for drafting tailored descriptions (Novice Priest of SELIN)
- Sernista for coding 1 religion (Disciple of SELIN)
- ShadowGamer for coding 1 religion (Disciple of SELIN)
- conqueror for his research on religions definition (Disciple of SELIN)
- and of course Shaytana for creating this incredible mod and for the many discussions on the religions' background (the CREATOR)

Attachments

• SELIN for LI 0.6a 2012-10-21.rar
    55,7 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
Most of those religions also need their own holy orders, just sayin'.

And so you see Numahr's titanic work revealed hehehehe. I will make a section in the first post of the thread about it because most people don't tend to read the thread.

@richvh

And the day needs more hours so we implement them. :rofl: Patience, mate the mod is expanding as fast as we can, religious orders will come in the future.

----------------
Further expanded the timeline.

And so you see Numahr's titanic work revealed hehehehe. I will make a section in the first post of the thread about it because most people don't tend to read the thread.

@richvh

And the day needs more hours so we implement them. :rofl: Patience, mate the mod is expanding as fast as we can, religious orders will come in the future.

----------------
Further expanded the timeline.

We DEMAND faster development of the mod :D

Myeah, wtb time! Wtb RL not eating my development time... Nerf all of my RL friends and family... :angry:
================================

In any case I wanted to put Numahr's post in the first post of the thread wholesale BUT the forum told me I had more characters in that post than permitted per post....ahhhem!!! So I opted to post a link to his post instead... It seems that I will have to most likely export my Timeline and Changelog elsewhere in the future... not quite sure where though.... GAH I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE RESERVED A FEW POSTS in the beginning of the Thread... Woe, woe is me! <---gains selfpitying trait.

Myeah, wtb time! Wtb RL not eating my development time... Nerf all of my RL friends and family... :angry:
================================

In any case I wanted to put Numahr's post in the first post of the thread wholesale BUT the forum told me I had more characters in that post than permitted per post....ahhhem!!! So I opted to post a link to his post instead... It seems that I will have to most likely export my Timeline and Changelog elsewhere in the future... not quite sure where though.... GAH I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE RESERVED A FEW POSTS in the beginning of the Thread... Woe, woe is me! <---gains selfpitying trait.
you could delete some of the maps in the second post and have this post by numahr appear before the last few maps. A map of the full game should suffice.

or even better make a new thread with just the mod and details and leave this thread for discussions

Last edited by a moderator:
you could delete some of the maps in the second post and have this post by numahr appear before the last few maps. A map of the full game should suffice.

For now I put a link to his post under a proeminent Colored Link in first post with a READ THIS text just above the Timeline area. I will look into cleaning up that 2nd post in the near future, some of those screenshots etc are outdated anyway, and a future version will feature additions and reworkings of the setup so...errr yah, I need to do something about that second post soon.

I'd recommend starting a new thread for the timeline. I have a feeling it's going to become too big for one post.

I'd recommend starting a new thread for the timeline. I have a feeling it's going to become too big for one post.

Most likely, for now I am also considering maybe dedicating the 2nd post to it.

========================================
Posted timeline update to 56 BCE.

========================================
Everyone who hasn't read the post on incoming Religious Overhaul I recommend you read the post linked below. Posting this so people don't miss it:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ux-Invicta&p=14159754&viewfull=1#post14159754

(will continue to repost this)