• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Maestro Ugo

Charlie Brown's disciple
49 Badges
May 26, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • 500k Club
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Victoria 2
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
Lupus Agnum v1.61​
Vulpes vult fraudem, lupus agnum, foemina laudem.​
(The fox likes tricks, the wolf lamb, a woman praise.) - a medieval proverb

wolf_and_lamb.jpg

Introduction:
The basic point of this mod is to increase the importance of martial skill for rulers. As things stand now, with the exception of learning, martial is probably the least useful skill to look for in a ruler. Diplomacy increases the vassal and general opinion, and is arguably the most important skill for a ruler. Stewardship increases demesne size which directly translates into higher revenue and more troops. Intrigue influences plot power, assassination percentage etc., and as such is very important for a ruler wanting to pursue activities of this kind. Martial, on the other hand, influences only military success of a general and increases health a bit. Given that in CK2 general's martial skill is less important than in earlier Paradox titles when resolving fights and that it's pretty easy to get enough capable generals so your ruler doesn't need to lead the troops - martial is pretty useless skill for a ruler right now.

This mod adds a modifier, depending on the ruler's martial skill which influence the number of troops vassals are willing to give to the ruler. Something similar as things were in CK1. So the higher the martial skill of the ruler, the easier is for him to influence his vassals to let him lead more troops. This makes sense from both game mechanics point of view but also makes common sense. For one, it will make levy sizes more variable, so two same sized dukes (with identical buildings) will not always have the same size of troops at their disposal. On the other hand, it makes sense, as rulers who were famous for their skill on the battlefield had an easier time convincing their vassals to give them their levies.

To do this, I first needed to know the mean and variance of martial skills in the game. I played two hands-off game, one till 1180, and one till 1150, and noted the martial skill of all rulers - emperors, kings and first level vassals (dukes and counts). From these 250 characters I calculated a mean martial score - 11.4. Based on this I devised the range for each of the 7 levels representing different martial skill (values have changed a bit since the first release, but this will give you a general picture):

Incompetent military ruler (0-2)
Very poor military ruler (3-5)
Poor military ruler (6-8)
Average military ruler (9-11)
Good military ruler (12-14)
Very good military ruler (15-17)
Exceptional military ruler (18+)

Based on these categories, min and max levies the vassals agree to give the ruler is modified - the more extreme the skill is the more extreme the modifier. Note that even with the exceptional ruler, levies will increase for about 20%. So the effects are noticeable, but not game-balance changing.

Future plans:
- Add siege events that take into account top liege and liege martial skill when determining the length of sieges.
- Add battle events that take into account top liege and liege martial skill when determining the success of battles.
- Modify some events to be influenced by martial skill.

Any feedback is more than welcome, be it balancing issues or ideas for further improvement. Hope you like this!

Changelog:
-made compatible with the 1.92 patch and the DLCs
-further tweaked the triggers and effects of the modifier

-tweaked the distribution of the modifier slightly.
-overall effect decreased further - I'm finally happy at the state of affairs as previously martial was too important, and going for martial education was a no-brainer.
-updated to CK2Plus 1.30.2
-CK2Plus version, in addition to the modifier includes the rebalance of the new vassal levies system introduced by Wiz in 1.30 with the effect of reducing the modifier for levies almost to a third. This produces somewhat smaller armies all around as compared to the new huge armies under 1.30
-updated to Project Balance (Balansegang; PB already uses a version of this modifier, this is for those who want the new version)
-updated to The Prince and the Thane 1.5.2

-updated to CK2Plus 1.25
-updated for Balansegang
-decreased the overall effects of the modifier to account for the changes in martial skill and training importance introduced in 1.06

1.4(41)
-zeress's update for other mods support. (Cheers for that!)

-updated to CK2Plus 1.14
-added a version compatible with ibid816's The Prince and the Tane mod version 1.04 (An older version of this mod is included in 1.04, so here is the chance to play with the new).
-slightly scaled the martial skill range to be in accord with the empirical observation of the attribute distribution.
-slightly decreased the effect for the most extreme modifiers.

-fixed some spelling mistakes

-changed the name of the mod because another one with the same name appeared recently (memento mori).
-added a version compatible with CK2Plus (v1.11 + hotfix2)
-redistributed the values a bit to make extreme modifiers a bit rarer.
-added levy reinforcement speed to the equation - the higher the martial skill the faster the troops will reinforce.
-reduced overall troop reinforcement speed slightly to make the above applicable, and to provide for a more interesting gameplay.
-greatly reduced the troop reinforcement speed when the levy is raised as to reduce the AI's obsession with raising the minuscule levies every few months in a war.
-slightly raised the % of full levy before one can raise the levy for the same reason as above.

-initial release.

Download and install:
Dowload the *.zip file attached below, and extract it's content to your /mod folder and select the mod from the launcher.

Attachments

• Lupus Agnum 1.61 for BP.zip
    14,6 KB · Views: 165
  • Lupus Agnum 1.61.zip
    14,2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Loving the concept, I'll try it out and give you some feedback :)

Cheers, please to that!

Good idea. But does it use only ruler martial, not state martial? It would make sense if marshal's martial skill could influence levy size as well.

Sound point. I have considered this, but decided against it for the following reasons: 1) The point of the mod is to increase ruler's martial skill importance, and this would be somewhat mitigated by marshal's skill. 2) Later in the game most rulers can get powerful marshals, and the more powerful the ruler (more vassals) the higher the chance he will have a great marshal. This would, thus, favor large realms.

I'm very much interested in this. Everything you've described is what I assumed Martial would do from the start.

Alright, I've just tried your mod and I have to say that I completely agree with Pnutmaster, this mod was needed and I really like it! May I integrate it in my own mod? :)

Alright, I've just tried your mod and I have to say that I completely agree with Pnutmaster, this mod was needed and I really like it! May I integrate it in my own mod? :)

Sure, no problem. Keep in mind I have further plans so you might wait until I manage to improve it further, but do as you like as long as you give credit. :cool:

Sure, no problem. Keep in mind I have further plans so you might wait until I manage to improve it further, but do as you like as long as you give credit. :cool:

Cheers, I was planning on integrating it once it is almost fully developed, but I wanted to ask for permission before counting on it :)

After much time off, I finally found some to continue developing this mod. Here is the new version changelog:

-changed the name of the mod because another one with the same name appeared recently (memento mori).
-added a version compatible with CK2Plus (v1.11 + hotfix2)
-redistributed the values a bit to make extreme modifiers a bit rarer.
-added levy reinforcement speed to the equation - the higher the martial skill the faster the troops will reinforce.
-reduced overall troop reinforcement speed slightly to make the above applicable, and to provide for a more interesting gameplay.
-greatly reduced the troop reinforcement speed when the levy is raised as to reduce the AI's obsession with raising the minuscule levies every few months in a war.
-slightly raised the % of full levy before one can raise the levy for the same reason as above.

The effect should now be more noticeable. An exceptional military leader will have a significantly better prospects for making war than a military illiterate would. Overall the reinforcement speed has been reduced a bit, this results from more than two times slower than vanilla rate for military incompetent rulers and slightly faster than vanilla for exceptional rulers. The end product is that war is a bit more devastating all around, and ones manpower takes longer to replenish.

As always, please post any suggestions and feedback!

Fixed some spelling mistakes, here is v1.2.

Bloody decimal commas instead of dots...

Doh! :eek:o

Aha! I was awaiting an update, Maestro ;) And I too was distressed by the appearance of another mod called "Memento Mori".

Cheers, hope you like it. I would really like some feedback, especially on the whole slower recruitment thing. It's working great for me, but I just might be a bit biased...

This is a good idea. I am writing some marshal events: can I use what you learned in that event series?

Did you notice similar numbers for the other attributes, by the way? Does diplomacy and stewardship average out to about 11 as well?

Thanks.

This is a good idea. I am writing some marshal events: can I use what you learned in that event series?

Did you notice similar numbers for the other attributes, by the way? Does diplomacy and stewardship average out to about 11 as well?

Thanks.

No problem, use whatever you need! As for the other stats, I'm not sure, but I would expect them to be somewhere in the vicinity as there is no reason why they would behave differently than martial skill. Will run an analysis and let you know.

A fantastic addition to the game, can't play without this now. :D

No problem, use whatever you need! As for the other stats, I'm not sure, but I would expect them to be somewhere in the vicinity as there is no reason why they would behave differently than martial skill. Will run an analysis and let you know.

Just wanted to say thanks for being the CK2 modding community's statistician. You deserve this year's Golden Platy for sure!

A fantastic addition to the game, can't play without this now. :D

Thank you very much! It's nice to hear that. How are you finding the overall effects strength-wise? I'm toying with the idea of reducing them a bit.

Just wanted to say thanks for being the CK2 modding community's statistician. You deserve this year's Golden Platy for sure!

Cheers!

Hard to tell yet, I've been playing a count<duke game so far, so I haven't seen any big battles yet. I will try to observe more in my next game!