• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Btw, James, does that mean that I could create a file called portrait_irish.gfx to define the Irish graphical culture? Thanks.
The Irish use a "Celtic" gfx designation so the easiest way would be to make a portrait_celtic.gfx file. That being said, you could always redefine the Irish to use a custom Irish.gfx instead of Celtic.

Also, you may need to make a irish.gfx file (basically a copy of the Western one) but I'm not sure this is necessary.
- cultures.txt to define the culture and graphical culture
- graphicalculturetype.txt to define graphical cultures
- portraits_culture.gfx to defines the portraits for the culture
- And possibly a culture.gfx file to define units (may not be needed)

The Irish use a "Celtic" gfx designation so the easiest way would be to make a portrait_celtic.gfx file. That being said, you could always redefine the Irish to use a custom Irish.gfx instead of Celtic.

Also, you may need to make a irish.gfx file (basically a copy of the Western one) but I'm not sure this is necessary.
- cultures.txt to define the culture and graphical culture
- graphicalculturetype.txt to define graphical cultures
- portraits_culture.gfx to defines the portraits for the culture
- And possibly a culture.gfx file to define units (may not be needed)

Thank you. I was planning to do a sub-saharan African gfx set and another for Iberians.

These are amazing! Please make the Alans a bit more less European too!

Paradox did a great job at making these facial feature layers really interchangable. Would you be satisfied with alans that have cuman facial characteristics but western clothes, beards and headgears? Like this:
alanc.jpg

I'll also add the unused western pagan clothes for ugricgfx cultures to add a bit of variety for the next version.
ugric.jpg

I can also do some new clothes and helmets with copy pasteing some of the material from the game.
helmetsa.jpg

I'm mostly satisfied with these, but they get a bit repetetive.

Last edited:
Looking good, for some diversity. I like the helmets in particular.

I wish we had somewhat larger portraits, showing more of the body, so robes and tabards would look good.

Yes, closer to Cumans in appearance.

This looks really amazing so far. Can't wait to see what else you come up with -- variety is the spice of life!

Also, should persians be less arabic, than they presented now in game?

Do you mean "Persian" Persians, or Turkic peoples who happen to live in Persia, or any of the other types of peoples from an and around the area? I've been hand-creating custom portrait sets and I'm currently in the possession of hundreds of images, and you'd be honestly surprised at the diversity. I do notice a slightly more "caucasian" appearance, but also a higher incidence of pronounced zygoma and some epicanthic folding (especially from Altaic peoples).

I had been hoping somebody would do exactly what this mod does! Fantastic work.

Looking forward to downloading every iteration of these mod, because I can't get enough variety in portraits.

I was wondering that, too. I am currently thinking about splitting Maghreb Arabs off from the Arab group and rename them Berber, but I was wondering what they should look like.
Do you mean just in terms of appearance or as an actual culture? The Berbers are not represented in CK2 -- they would have darker skin than Arabs, a totally different language and would be in a separate culture group. It would be interesting to try and represent them in a mod but we're only talking a handful of provinces in Mauretania and their language is... strange.

I've been trying to make some new helmets, but then I ran into a problem that I didn't think of first. Should I make helmets that cover the face like this:
helmke.jpg

That would make identifying character faces impossible. This helmet is still a very much work in progress and looks too cartoony. I don't know if I'll include any of the helmets I make because they, atleast at the moment, don't blend well into the style of the rest of the attire. But anyway, if I feel that they are acceptable to release, should I only make helmets that don't cover faces?

I've been trying to make some new helmets, but then I ran into a problem that I didn't think of first. Should I make helmets that cover the face like this:
helmke.jpg

That would make identifying character faces impossible. This helmet is still a very much work in progress and looks too cartoony. I don't know if I'll include any of the helmets I make because they, atleast at the moment, don't blend well into the style of the rest of the attire. But anyway, if I feel that they are acceptable to release, should I only make helmets that don't cover faces?
I don't think you should cover the faces. However, maybe a Persian Immortal could have his face covered but it's always more fun to see the faces. I've actually made a little modification to mine and just removed the helms for some cultures and replaced them with leather bands. Then again, a leather band doesn't provide much protection now does it?

Anyways, those new faces and helms up here are INCREDIBLE. Have you tried adding things like chain-mail to replace a helm? Also, can people with different Martial skills use different helms?

Do you mean just in terms of appearance or as an actual culture? The Berbers are not represented in CK2 -- they would have darker skin than Arabs, a totally different language and would be in a separate culture group. It would be interesting to try and represent them in a mod but we're only talking a handful of provinces in Mauretania and their language is... strange.

Berbers covered a pretty wide area of North Africa in the XI century. They remained the popular element for the Kingdoms of Africa and Mauretania. I am trying to make the "Moors" more interesting and diverse, and I will also be adding a Malian cultural graphics.

The Berbers were and are a rather diverse group in terms of physical appearance, wherein lies the problem. Some I would define as lighter in skin tone than Arabs and some like the Tuaregs are much darker. I'll see what I can make of it, but I think it would be fitting to make them their own cultural group to suggest the Berber-Arab antagonism that existed since the beginning of Islam in Africa. I have also put Andalusians into the Iberian/Romance group, because they were culturally neither Arab nor Berber, but something else.

@Peuri: I don't know about faceplates. CK1 had some face coverings, especially for Muslim characters, and it did not work out too well IMHO. I think that more diversity in clothing and headgear is a good thing in any case, a really good thing. How easily can you add more clothing for the same cultural set, like could you potentially give western_european say 25 different clothing options instead of the 11 or so that are there now?

Have you changed their setup? At present Andalusian represents the Arabs of Al-Andalus -- I know culturally they mixed with the Iberian peoples but they still spoke Arabic and tended to be Muslim (though there were Christians and Jews too of course) so I'm not sure I follow you when you say they're better as part of the Iberian culture group. If you've changed their names and other stuff though then I understand.

Berbers will be really hard to get right in CK II, which is presumably why Paradox never bothered. Good luck compiling a list of names in Tuareg script buddy. :laugh:

Since you asked, I'll explain. The Andalusi belong with the Iberians because of historical factors, same reason why the Basque do (who also include Occitan-speakers). Andalusian represent Muladis, Mozarabs, and Sefardis in my mod. There was a feeling at the time that the Almoravids were foreigners, while the Christians offered easy terms familiar to them. The Berber religious fundamentalists represented by Mauretania were at odds with Andalusian culture, except for the zealots of course. I haven't changed their names, though I don't see much reason to. I have added more equivalencies though. They spoke a local variant of Arabic, as did many of the ruling class in Leon, and in Mozarab a variant of Romance. I have also switched their graphical culture for portraits to western_christian but with 'muslim' clothing.

So, I agree that I should not try to create helmets that cover faces because that takes away alot of character out of the people in the game. I've tried to read a few tutorials about picture editing and stuff so that I could create more believable helmets and I really liked speding time learning and trying to create new headgear. I think that I've learnt something and that the latest try:
rushelm.png

Is adequate enough to be believable in CKII's artistic style. Not quite, but somewhat close anyway. So I think I'll start making new headgears and clothing for different cultures. Altough, seeing CrackdToothGrin's awesome art in this thread I think that his work will sooner or later throw my attempts to the garbage bin, I'll sill doodle around. I'd like it if the posters here could point me towards some historical suggestions about what sort of clothing and headgear they would like to see in the mod and what would be appropriate for different culture groups/specific cultures that I could use as reference as my knowledge of medieval attire isn't very good. :) I think I'll start with trying to create some more flavour to the easternslavs.

@Peuri: I don't know about faceplates. CK1 had some face coverings, especially for Muslim characters, and it did not work out too well IMHO. I think that more diversity in clothing and headgear is a good thing in any case, a really good thing. How easily can you add more clothing for the same cultural set, like could you potentially give western_european say 25 different clothing options instead of the 11 or so that are there now?
The last I tried to add new headgear in this thread we ran into a problem with the people posting into the thread. Unfortunately there seems to be hardcoded limits in the amounts of frames for different layers.

Also, can people with different Martial skills use different helms?
I'm not sure. But unfortunately I think that it's not possible to add more frames to the headgear layer :/

Yes I'd say that's a good idea. Let's see some Persian dudes. :happy:
So I should just use the arab facial features and change the hue of the faces to a lighter one?

Last edited: