• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
About the missing noses: there is no file called african_female_noses_1 (for women ages 16-30) so add that one and that should help fix that issue. The women with the missing noses also seem to have black backgrounds, so i'm not sure what to say about that one.

EDIT: Well, it seems to have worked. I copied and pasted african_male_noses_1 into the /african_female/ folder then renamed the file to african_female_noses_1 and it makes the whole difference.

Cheers,
Rooster

Nubia_before.jpgNubia_after.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, you are exactly right. I posted the version 0.1 yesterday that fixes this. :) The background and neck are black too because the game apparently fills missing textures as black, so the fully black nose texture covers all lower layers too.

Yes, you are exactly right. I posted the version 0.1 yesterday that fixes this. :) The background and neck are black too because the game apparently fills missing textures as black, so the fully black nose texture covers all lower layers too.

I'll dl the new version then. Thanks.

I am curious, do you have any plans to continue this "little" mod (should be called epic, tbh).

Also, how are you replacing these graphics? I attempted to make a "Nordic" character for the northern cultures but nothing really even works, it's all black. Did I save it wrong, do the mipmaps (do they matter) wrong, layers bad, or what?

I think that it would be good for anyone who is interested to submit custom portrait clothing, headgear, etc. if Peuri is interested in continuing this mod. It could become a community meta-mod that could be loaded with any of the big overhaul and balance mods in production. I would be willing to do some of the interface modding as far as assigning this clothing set to this culture, etc.

Also, how are you replacing these graphics? I attempted to make a "Nordic" character for the northern cultures but nothing really even works, it's all black. Did I save it wrong, do the mipmaps (do they matter) wrong, layers bad, or what?

I assume that you edited portraits.gfx, cultures.txt and graphicalculture.txt to include your culture. A few things come to mind that might result in a black layer. Perhaps the texture file is missing like with my noses here, or perhaps you mispelled the file name or directory in portraits.gfx. I edited these texture with paint.net and these are the saving settings I used:

settingsk.jpg

I think that it would be good for anyone who is interested to submit custom portrait clothing, headgear, etc. if Peuri is interested in continuing this mod. It could become a community meta-mod that could be loaded with any of the big overhaul and balance mods in production. I would be willing to do some of the interface modding as far as assigning this clothing set to this culture, etc.
Well, if someone is willing to make new clothing etc. I am more than happy to add them to this mod and praise them accodingly. Or someone with better texturing skills can take the work I've done so far and continue from this base. I can support this person with my meagre knowledge on the text side of modding portraits. I can't do new textures myself, or atleast they are not release worthy as they are pretty much just copy/pasting and using various filters etc., so I don't see where I could take this mod from here. Some of the suggestions I could certainly do, like adding more hair colour variety to southern europeans and perhaps adding some of the muslim beards to western characters, if the beard layer can support more than 7 beards. Atleast the headgear layer couldn't handle more than 16 headgears withouth getting messed up, while the background layer has 21 backgrounds. So I'm not sure if these layers have different hardcoded limits and what they are. But other than that the next step would probably be creating new textures, which I am incapable of doing to any satisfactory level.

Last edited:
I have tried my hand at it, and the effect is similar to my daughter's coloring books. I will keep practicing, but it's not pretty.

There was interest in keeping this mod going from a number of people, so if they want to submit things, I am happy that you would be interested in keeping the ball rolling.

There's a new version up. It fixes an issue with cuman male faces having a white stripe between their nose and left cheek and also the upper cheeks having a sharp angle. These issues resulted from the fact that the mongol base head and the new cuman base head had different kinds of base cheeks. The latter issue exists in the mongol DLC too I've noticed. There's a few pixels too few on some of the mongol upper cheeks so the cheeks seem to have a strange 90 degree angle just before the eye. Too bad I probably can't include a new mongol base head into this mod that would fix this issue in the DLC also, since it would most likely be seen as distributing material from the DLC.

'Officially', how compatible (or not) is this with the Beard Designer DLC?

I've tried it and it seems okay so far, am not sure if it gives you more options in the DLC as I've only used it a couple of times.

'Officially', how compatible (or not) is this with the Beard Designer DLC?...
Works fine for me. The DLC seems to be allow modular or new content no problem. Actually, it's kinda a great tool to debug mistakes with races or new cultures.

I assume that you edited portraits.gfx, cultures.txt and graphicalculture.txt to include your culture. A few things come to mind that might result in a black layer. Perhaps the texture file is missing like with my noses here, or perhaps you mispelled the file name or directory in portraits.gfx. I edited these texture with paint.net and these are the saving settings I used:

Thanks. I don't know what the problem is. All the folders, files, and names are in order and correct but I'm using GIMP and I don't think it's saving correctly. I'm NOT loading the mipmaps (could be problem) and I don't think they're saving correctly. I'm going to give Paint.net a go and see if it works better for me. Thanks.

EDIT: Well, I'll be damned if that Paint.net didn't just go out there and fix all of my problems I was having. It... actually looks decent. THANKS!

Argh, nevermind, it works but it's not turning out like I wanted. I can do cut-paste and re-coloring but I'm not skilled enough as an artist to make these guys look good.

Also, I'd like to note that you can make this more modular by giving each culture their own portraits_CULTURE.gfx file instead of overwriting portraits.gfx.

Peuri, if you were to do Northern Germanic people, how would you do it? I'm starting by lightening the skintone, changing the noses and chins, but what else should I do? What would you do?

Last edited:
'Officially', how compatible (or not) is this with the Beard Designer DLC?

I've tried it and it seems okay so far, am not sure if it gives you more options in the DLC as I've only used it a couple of times.

Like James009 said, it seems to work fine. Other than that, I don't know.. :D

Works fine for me. The DLC seems to be allow modular or new content no problem. Actually, it's kinda a great tool to debug mistakes with races or new cultures.

Thanks. I don't know what the problem is. All the folders, files, and names are in order and correct but I'm using GIMP and I don't think it's saving correctly. I'm NOT loading the mipmaps (could be problem) and I don't think they're saving correctly. I'm going to give Paint.net a go and see if it works better for me. Thanks.

EDIT: Well, I'll be damned if that Paint.net didn't just go out there and fix all of my problems I was having. It... actually looks decent. THANKS!

Argh, nevermind, it works but it's not turning out like I wanted. I can do cut-paste and re-coloring but I'm not skilled enough as an artist to make these guys look good.

Also, I'd like to note that you can make this more modular by giving each culture their own portraits_CULTURE.gfx file instead of overwriting portraits.gfx.

Peuri, if you were to do Northern Germanic people, how would you do it? I'm starting by lightening the skintone, changing the noses and chins, but what else should I do? What would you do?

Glad that it worked for you. Thanks for the info about the portraits_culture.gfx too. I'll add those for the cultures if there is a new verison. I don't know what to do to the europeans actually. I can't really say how a regular swedish person differs from a regular german person. Perhaps you could add more light hair colours for north germanics. :)

I have quite a few images from the period of both Christians and Muslims, but I don't quite have the skill yet to do a new clothing set. I am planning to do some face sets and will check out the new *.gfx files that James mentioned. Thanks for the tip!