• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
From the wiki;

create_retinue = RETTYPE_CUL_HUNG

Spawns a fully reinforced retinue type in current character's capital province. You can amend the retinue to whatever ones exist in the retinues file.

It has to ultimately be made from any sort of character scope. I have been playing round with it successfully in various scenarios, on action events, decisions etc.
An event example I have tested below makes the character receive a retinue for every demesne province they have.

any_demesne_province = {
ROOT = {
create_retinue = RETTYPE_CUL_MAMLUK
}
}

There is also a condition which I haven't tested. Assuming it works it could also be useful. From the wiki;

has_space_for_retinue = RETTYPE_CUL_HUNG

Checks if character has enough unused retinue cap for target retinue type
Thanks! I've been using the create retinue command, the second one doesn't seem to work sadly, at least i had no success so far.

Thanks! I've been using the create retinue command, the second one doesn't seem to work sadly, at least i had no success so far.

Weird. I managed to get it to work as an allow = { condition in an intrigue tab decision. Or at the very least it appears in the tooltip as taking into account the 850 retinue space needed for the unit so I'm assuming it is working when scoped in this case.

ck2_18.png
ck2_17.png

Hm not sure if it is valid, since I did not start a new game, just loaded my current save. On top of it, I am mixing HIP / EMF with L3T (Frosty3 with L3T 1.0)
So it might be that something is buggy.. but I am currently ruling a huge ERE, from Sicily to Jerusalem and from Hungary to Hayk.. before I had a monthly income of around +150 gold per month, but when I load that game with this new setup, I am losing around -70 gold per month, even with my huge demesne size of around 20 (my submod overrides L3TEmprie demesne size btw)
I guess the ruler stewardship change had an impact but it might be too much.. or not,might be some buggy stuff due to EMF+L3T+MyOwnSubmod...

Weird. I managed to get it to work as an allow = { condition in an intrigue tab decision. Or at the very least it appears in the tooltip as taking into account the 850 retinue space needed for the unit so I'm assuming it is working when scoped in this case.

View attachment 601322 View attachment 601323
I guess I have it work now (and maybe it already worked in fact), it is just a bit hard to hard to track since I am using an hidden startup event for it.
Just have to finetuning it now.
Hm not sure if it is valid, since I did not start a new game, just loaded my current save. On top of it, I am mixing HIP / EMF with L3T (Frosty3 with L3T 1.0)
So it might be that something is buggy.. but I am currently ruling a huge ERE, from Sicily to Jerusalem and from Hungary to Hayk.. before I had a monthly income of around +150 gold per month, but when I load that game with this new setup, I am losing around -70 gold per month, even with my huge demesne size of around 20 (my submod overrides L3TEmprie demesne size btw)
I guess the ruler stewardship change had an impact but it might be too much.. or not,might be some buggy stuff due to EMF+L3T+MyOwnSubmod...
This a huge jump indeed. The stewardship thing, only acts on direct income, with reasonable rates, I think it can't even flatten it to 0, still vassal taxing should bring money anyway.
Troops/retinues can drive a lot of gold, maybe it is that ? Budget view might give you some incentive on what's going on.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This a huge jump indeed. The stewardship thing, only acts on direct income, with reasonable rates, I think it can't even flatten it to 0, still vassal taxing should bring money anyway.
Troops/retinues can drive a lot of gold, maybe it is that ? Budget view might give you some incentive on what's going on.
The thing that is confusing is that I use my own submod, that is overwriting some of the HIp / L3T things, static modifiers defines, etc.. which means that some of the things that you changed in the newest L3T, are overwritten back to earlier values or my own values.. that is what I don't understand, it shouldn't be like that.

I noticed another thing, whenever a ruler dies, all the levy and garrison troops are removed. It happened to me as the Byzantine Emperor, I lost all the levies, whenever my ruler dies, abdicates, etc... that happened before too, on the previous versions.

But now it also happens to all the cities, I guess it has something to do with the change with the city holders, if I am seeing correctly all cities can now be held by feudal rulers or is it some sort of a glitch with HIP?

But now it also happens to all the cities, I guess it has something to do with the change with the city holders, if I am seeing correctly all cities can now be held by feudal rulers or is it some sort of a glitch with HIP?
No, only muslim feudal (iqta), for upcoming version, it will come with a decision to freely confiscate cities (with limitations of course. The system will also be dxpanded to Roman imperial, Chinese imperial and Confucian bureaucracy, the latter never getting income malus for holding cities beyond the limit.

Hm then there is something seriously flawed, since all the city holders for me have become Feudal. Not just Iqta, all Christian, everyone. And they all lose both garrison and retinue on death.
Indeed, it might be due to some conflict with so many mods, although I don't see what could have caused it...

Hm then there is something seriously flawed, since all the city holders for me have become Feudal. Not just Iqta, all Christian, everyone. And they all lose both garrison and retinue on death.
Indeed, it might be due to some conflict with so many mods, although I don't see what could have caused it...
First issue might be a problem with governments, but i am not sure it is reevaluted on already started games.
No clue what can cause garrison lose on death. At least nothing near this is in L3T.

It is definitely problem with clashing HIP and L3T, I tried running only HIP and only L3T, and the problem does not occur, but when I run both, all cities are feudal, even my character starts with cities as his personal demesne.
Deleting the 'government' folder from L3T kinda solves the issue, but it's not the 'solution' I am looking for.

I am beginning to grasp the size of the problem when it comes to making HIP/L3T compatibility patch... :( :eek:

Next iteration will come in the upcoming next days. Main change since last DD in that Iqta rulers will start with some free retinues at start.
Next release will be save-compatible, but I'll recommend starting a fresh game as the muslim retinue things will only pop a start and seems quite necessary for balance (because AI is a bit reluctant as using retinues despite getting the capacity and money to do so).

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hey Arko, after having this mildy frustrating thing happen to me so many times, I wanted to talk about how trade centres are spawned. So I understand that they favor counties with at least two cities, but other than that, they're given free reign to spawn wherever they please.

The mildly frustrating part I mentioned is that if two adjacent counties are favored, it's completely random, which does serve the purpose of making dynamic trade routes, but it feels odd that, for example, the trade centre spawns beside a capital county rather than on the capital itself.

So, that brings me to my question: Is there some way that capitals can be weighted so that trade centres spawn on them (if they're eligible), if otherwise it would spawn within adjacent counties? Something like if the county has the "Capital" modifier, it would be considered more highly if it can spawn a trade centre?

I wanted to know your thoughts on this since you did say that the point was to create different dynamic trade routes every time, but having a trade centre spawn beside, for another example, Cairo, Baghdad, or Isfahan, rather than on them just feels wrong. All of this is just one person's (my) opinion though, so think of it what you will.

Hey Arko, after having this mildy frustrating thing happen to me so many times, I wanted to talk about how trade centres are spawned. So I understand that they favor counties with at least two cities, but other than that, they're given free reign to spawn wherever they please.

The mildly frustrating part I mentioned is that if two adjacent counties are favored, it's completely random, which does serve the purpose of making dynamic trade routes, but it feels odd that, for example, the trade centre spawns beside a capital county rather than on the capital itself.

So, that brings me to my question: Is there some way that capitals can be weighted so that trade centres spawn on them (if they're eligible), if otherwise it would spawn within adjacent counties? Something like if the county has the "Capital" modifier, it would be considered more highly if it can spawn a trade centre?

I wanted to know your thoughts on this since you did say that the point was to create different dynamic trade routes every time, but having a trade centre spawn beside, for another example, Cairo, Baghdad, or Isfahan, rather than on them just feels wrong. All of this is just one person's (my) opinion though, so think of it what you will.
You are right. For the record, capital modifier is much more recent than trade roads, and it being applied on day 0 is even more recent in the mod's evolution, hence why it may not being as infused through the mod's feature as it should.
I'll try to add this for upcoming version.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
  • iqta rulers get some free retinue at start, from their rank, from jizya holdings, from correct culture province (limited to their retinue cap)
  • some new Arabic retinues

Only Arabic culture group rulers get retinues on startup. Iberian Romance, Altaic, Iranian, East+West+North African culture groups don't get anything. (SWMH)

Could you clarify exactly the spawning conditions for each retinue type? (Iqta castle/urban/zealot/capital guards, provincial patrol)

I have seen a 4-county duke and a 1-county count only have 1 capital guard each, but a 5-county duke with 2 capital guards and 2 provincial patrols, disparities like that.

revised vassal limit for administration laws (bonus for "feudal", malus for "imperial")

The vassal limit for imperial should definitely be reverted, otherwise either laws will need vassal limit bonuses, or the Byzantine/Roman Empire titles should get vassal limit bonus (if possible). Otherwise the Byzantine Empire will be permanently crippled with 30+ vassals and 5 vassal limit.

• Muslim under iqta no more can hold temples
  • Muslim temple holders are theocracies instead of iqta

This is an interesting change in my opinion, but now Caliphs can't get moral authority for holding a holy site. Also, it messes up the succession if the Caliph is a theocracy (Sunni Caliph holding only a mosque in 1066, etc.). If he dies, then the caliphate is inherited by his liege (imagine a Caliph Seljuk) instead of another sayyid character.

Last edited:
Only Arabic culture group rulers get retinues on startup. Iberian Romance, Altaic, Iranian, East+West+North African culture groups don't get anything. (SWMH)
A bit odd that andalusian arabic ends up in iberian. I didn't though about all these cultures, it is a bit of a concern since these wouldn't have the same of troops I guess.
I'll look into it.

Could you clarify exactly the spawning conditions for each retinue type? (Iqta castle/urban/zealot/capital guards, provincial patrol)

I have seen a 4-county duke and a 1-county count only have 1 capital guard each, but a 5-county duke with 2 capital guards and 2 provincial patrols, disparities like that.
You can find a bit more of info on the mod's wiki page.
Within the retinue limit :
  • an independent ruler receives 1 capital guard
  • a count or above receives 1 capital guard
  • a duke or above receives 1 capital guard (cumulative with previous one)
  • a king or above receives 1 capital guard (cumulative with previous one)
  • an emperor receives 1 capital guard (cumulative with previous one)
  • a ruler receives 1 provincial patrol / province of his culture group
Extra from the retinue limit :
  • 1 stack of castle guard by castle holding with jizya
  • 1 stack of city guard by city holding with jizya
  • 1 stack of zealot guard by temple holding with jizya
There is possibly a problem on applying the provincial bonus because it seems to calculate the whole bonus instead of applying the bonus from on province then the next etc. Ending that multiple provinces may generate too much retinue for the limit, and then applying none. A bit tricky to trace but it is something I am working on.

The vassal limit for imperial should definitely be reverted, otherwise either laws will need vassal limit bonuses, or the Byzantine/Roman Empire titles should get vassal limit bonus (if possible). Otherwise the Byzantine Empire will be permanently crippled with 30+ vassals and 5 vassal limit.
I admit I didn't tested it extensively, I am usually playing with no vassal limit as it pushes AI create all titles it can and grant them even faster than it sadly does.
The idea was that Byzantine/Roman should be more centralized and then getting some more demesne size and lesser vassal limit.
I'll look into the vassal limit thing though if it ends up that low.

This is an interesting change in my opinion, but now Caliphs can't get moral authority for holding a holy site. Also, it messes up the succession if the Caliph is a theocracy (Sunni Caliph holding only a mosque in 1066, etc.). If he dies, then the caliphate is inherited by his liege (imagine a Caliph Seljuk) instead of another sayyid character.
Muslim theocracies are inherited by their lieges ATM, which isn't very good. I wanted to avoid changing succession laws but I guess I'll be forced to, unless I find some clever turnaround.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As I'll leave for holidays tomorrow and can't ship a full release because time lacks and not everything is up yet, I am delivering a hot fix at least for missing iqta retinues for Andalusian for SWMH.
  • L3T_retinue_subunit.txt goes into the mod's folder/common/retinue_subunits/
  • The two other files go into the mod's folder/events/
Or you can get the lastest version on the mod's github deposit,branch "master". (there's also some fix for imperial vassal limit, but not full yet).

Attachments

• L3T_retinue_subunits.txt
    3,7 KB · Views: 0
  • L3T_init_GENERAL.txt
    31,6 KB · Views: 0
  • L3T_init_DOMAINES.txt
    53,9 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hello !

Perhaps a bug with the trait "last months" which remains after childbirth, which should prevent the woman concerned from becoming pregnant again.
This bug appears when the woman gives birth to a stillborn child and has been corrected by Paradox with the release of the Charlemagne DLC.
But it remains in the LT3 mod.

Hello !

Perhaps a bug with the trait "last months" which remains after childbirth, which should prevent the woman concerned from becoming pregnant again.
This bug appears when the woman gives birth to a stillborn child and has been corrected by Paradox with the release of the Charlemagne DLC.
But it remains in the LT3 mod.

yes I have seen this aswell.