• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Latest DevDiary
So today a slightly lighter topic : playing dices !

The long shot idea is to be able to play a real ingame minigame through a dice party with other character. It however may be difficult to achieve with the engine limitations, but at least I have the barebone of it (the dice game is totally abstracted) and its gameplay impacts.

One needs to be two to be able to play, so who can I play with ?

To start a game, you are using the diplo-action menu by right-clicking on the character you want to play with. You can play with any adult vassal or anyone at your location, so if you are out of your court (councillor job, pilgrimage etc. ) you can still defy someone there.
You'll be able to bet something or play just for the pleasure of it.
Primary, you'd want to play with your friends and people who like you enough.

Why dices ?

It is very popular and universal for both the era and area of the game.

L3T_play_DD2.png

What does it bring to the game ?

You could end up with two new traits : Gamester and Fortune.
You can gain Gamester if you play much, too much maybe ! It is a lifestyle trait.
Fortune reflects you propensy of being more lucky than usual.
Before saying more about the trait itself, I have to mention that "luck" is now a new (hidden) value every character gains at game launch or at birth. Playing (and winning) at dice may increase that luck value, it is how you can finally gain that Fortune trait.
Luck by itself will influence various events from the mod of course. It is not implemented yet, so let me know if there are specific events you'd want to see luck playing a role in !
The fortune trait in itself have a lesser impact on the character than the gamester one. However, it will bring a changing bonus in the form of a modifier that bring +1 to one skill. That character modifier changes once a year, randomly.

Right below you can see the icons and effects of the two traits and one example of the luck modifier.
L3T_play_DD1.png

You can expect a new release late december I guess.

That's it for today!

Why don't you create a hidden flag that determines availability of a character?
It would be much more clean than multiple of "is not doing penance", "is not on a pilgrimage", "is not on a journey" flags
In vanilla, all are part of a bigger whole of things but i don't wan't to bar them all. I guess I'll hide them anyway. I've already make hidden the carousing/feast one, making conditionning if the option appears at all in the list, as vanilla focus decisions do it.

Showing cathedrals

I always wanted to indicate on map various elements, either for eyecandy or gameplay purpose, but the game for this is very limited and mostly hardcoded. Everything possible was at these times just static things that should be defined before game start and can't evolve in any way like monuments are, quite useless for modding purpose.
However, RiP DLC came with the prosperity on map markers I managed to corrupt to get some visual markers for L3T's dynamic trade route system. Then came Great works opening new horizons I wanted to use aswell for the mod purpose, despite a few limitations.

So here is my two goals about it :
  • showing romanesque cathedrals (which are episcopal sees temple specilisation) on map
  • showing on map mod's cathedral feature with better readability, showing where they are and checking easily their progress level. Mind that it is without converting the mod's system into the vanilla great works system, which lacks granularity.

These imply a bit of rework of the L3T's features here.
So the first step is putting into light the romanesque cathedral feature. Basicaly it serves three purposes :
  • Leading to the triggering of the "Opus francigenum", the cathedral age.
  • Giving a way to get a relic to build a cathedral by self
The idea is then to push it to a higher level by also representing the episcopal sees on map and showing their states : intact or burned and being rebuilding.
So they are now showed on map using a romanesque church 3D model and a great work/wonder in the province. The wonder shows the two states (see screenshots). I'll probably go with a bit of mod-hardcode to give these old cathedrals to historical bishops.

L3T_RECromanesque_1.png

L3T_RECromanesque_2.png

The bonus showed for wonders here is directed to the province owner, not the top liege. The "on reconstruction" wonder picture is a tweaked remix of looted+under construction vanilla pictures. These illustration may change in the feature though.
The reconstruction flavour is still here by the way.
Vanilla coming with its own bunch of things interfering with my corrupted wonders, I had to block pestering renaming, updating wonder descriptions, looting and various events, a hell of intricated things not easing the task honestly. Only thing I couldn't avoid are raiding the wonder events and oushing the "loot wonder" button, so I'm dealing with such situation with some internal event.

I didn't code anything at all on the pure cathedral feature yet. It requires some further tweaks and rethinking a bit the romanesque vs gothical transition, as it can be now dealt smoother, for example by rebuilding the ancient cathedral directly with the new, burned or not. That would be possible since wonders are on province level, abstracting the fact that the cathedral is either physicaly in a temple holding or a feudal one (which is the case for a player cathedral).
At least the romanesque cathedral thingy will be in next version.

Attachments

• L3T_RECromanesque_1.png
    L3T_RECromanesque_1.png
    3,4 MB · Views: 22
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Nice stuff far-fetching plans. Hope you can release some of these goodies before Xmas break, tt.

Showing cathedrals
I always wanted to indicate on map various elements, either for eyecandy or gameplay purpose, but the game for this is very limited and mostly hardcoded. Everything possible was at these times just static things that should be defined before game start and can't evolve in any way like monuments are, quite useless for modding purpose.
However, RiP DLC came with the prosperity on map markers I managed to corrupt to get some visual markers for L3T's dynamic trade route system. Then came Great works opening new horizons I wanted to use aswell for the mod purpose, despite a few limitations.

So here is my two goals about it :
  • showing romanesque cathedrals (which are episcopal sees temple specilisation) on map
  • showing on map mod's cathedral feature with better readability, showing where they are and checking easily their progress level. Mind that it is without converting the mod's system into the vanilla great works system, which lacks granularity.

These imply a bit of rework of the L3T's features here.
So the first step is putting into light the romanesque cathedral feature. Basicaly it serves three purposes :
  • Leading to the triggering of the "Opus francigenum", the cathedral age.
  • Giving a way to get a relic to build a cathedral by self
The idea is then to push it to a higher level by also representing the episcopal sees on map and showing their states : intact or burned and being rebuilding.
So they are now showed on map using a romanesque church 3D model and a great work/wonder in the province. The wonder shows the two states (see screenshots). I'll probably go with a bit of mod-hardcode to give these old cathedrals to historical bishops.

View attachment 531175

View attachment 531177

The bonus showed for wonders here is directed to the province owner, not the top liege. The "on reconstruction" wonder picture is a tweaked remix of looted+under construction vanilla pictures. These illustration may change in the feature though.
The reconstruction flavour is still here by the way.
Vanilla coming with its own bunch of things interfering with my corrupted wonders, I had to block pestering renaming, updating wonder descriptions, looting and various events, a hell of intricated things not easing the task honestly. Only thing I couldn't avoid are raiding the wonder events and oushing the "loot wonder" button, so I'm dealing with such situation with some internal event.

I didn't code anything at all on the pure cathedral feature yet. It requires some further tweaks and rethinking a bit the romanesque vs gothical transition, as it can be now dealt smoother, for example by rebuilding the ancient cathedral directly with the new, burned or not. That would be possible since wonders are on province level, abstracting the fact that the cathedral is either physicaly in a temple holding or a feudal one (which is the case for a player cathedral).
At least the romanesque cathedral thingy will be in next version.

Nice stuff far-fetching plans. Hope you can release some of these goodies before Xmas break, tt.
I am just one week to xmas break, so I don't think i'll be ready to push a release before that. But assured i'll try to get productive (and festive) holidays ;)

Hadn't noticed the implementation about games of dice yet. Nice touch!

Sadly the mod makes my game crashes always when I play with HIP. One day... one day it wll be fully compatible, i hope.

Are you playing with any other mods? Do you have EMF? I can say L3T per se has not caused me any crash so far.

Are you playing with any other mods? Do you have EMF? I can say L3T per se has not caused me any crash so far.
Only HIP and some aesthetics mods.

Hi everyone!

After a long modding pause, I am getting back slowly to L3T.
To get back myself into the mod I've start working on various files cleanup, consistency and optimisations, which mostly be unnoticeable for players though. I've worked on fixing some bugs and extending the still work in progress "make cathedrals visible" feature from last dev diary.
Various features are still set aside like dynamic duchies, dice games, octroi, as a few experiments. I however worked on two things : one about claims, and one about representing religious minorities. I'll get back to you when I'll be more advanced on these.

Take care!

• 6Like
Reactions:
Very Nice to hear this, an observation I've noted in my playthrough so far is that, a lot of rulers are forced into loans pretty early because they don't start with any money making buildings which suck. Also i just wanted to know if u plan on adding any more buildings into the mod ?

Very Nice to hear this, an observation I've noted in my playthrough so far is that, a lot of rulers are forced into loans pretty early because they don't start with any money making buildings which suck. Also i just wanted to know if u plan on adding any more buildings into the mod ?
Thank you for the feedback, I'll see what i can do for it.

Yes of course, i've got some plans for more buildings related to the holding specializations. and some revision of the economic ones.

So today I'll speak about the newest feature i developed for the mod, it is about claims fabrication through the chancellor's job.

The idea is to bring some limitations to it that fulfill the playstyle and philosophy of L3T. As it can be a controversial change, this is 100% conditioned by a game rule which has 3 levels in it.

So here are the changes (default rule, called "restricted" ) :
  • you can no longer fabricate claims on king level titles
  • you can fabricate claim on duchy level titles only if your chancellor is skilled and you have the "become king" ambition
  • you can fabricate claims on county level titles if your chancellor is skilled enough
  • you can now also fabricate claims on barony level titles
  • when your chancellor has the job "Perform statecraft", it lowers significantly the claim fabrication odds from foreign rulers (halved if your councillor has at least 10 in diplomacy skill).
  • The success chances for the option to make disappear a foreign ruler chancellor trying to fabricate claims upon your titles is now based on your intrigue instead of 50/50 probability
  • not decided yet, taking into account some skills for the chancellor like intrigue and learning since the job somehow involves those as justification on the claim fabrication process ("...By bribing, cajoling, extorting, threatening and forging documents, I have managed to fabricate a claim on... ")
  • other ways to get claims (inheritance, ask the Pope, plots) work as usual.
Others rules are "harsh" which totally deactivate claim fabrications, kinda experimental, tell me if you try it and how it balances the game ;)

The other rule just keeps vanilla behaviour as is, so for the record, it permits :
  • you can fabricate claim on kingdom level titles only if your chancellor is skilled and you have the "become king" ambition
  • you can fabricate claims on duchy level titles if your chancellor is skilled enough
  • you can fabricate claims on county level titles
  • you can't fabricate claims on barony level titles

L3T_claims_DD.png

An L3T rule category has been added to filter rules as well.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Has anyone combined this mod with HIP? Give me a link :)
I tried it, and it seems to be working OKish. I am sure there are some issues, since there are inevitably some files that are overridden, but it seems to be playable. However, I notice severe CB issues or differences, as well as some buildings...

Reactions: