• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just updated the wikipedia link which was broken and linked to some weird site :/

The more I read your dev diaries and walkthroughs, the more I have to ask, did you read "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet, when you got the idea for this mod. :p
I've seen and loved the TV serie ;)
I can't remember if it correlates with the first pinches of the mod (the "Relics and Cathedrals" mini-mod that is plainly part of L3T and extended a lot from its beginnings).
Surely a source of inspiration.

Time for something more entertaining (but no less time consuming) to mod than scripting : some new graphism!

First I redone some modifiers icons. From left to right in the yellow frame:
  1. gear wheels, more similar than vanilla's now
  2. new icon for major mountain pass (derived from an icon for nomad GUI)
  3. new icon for minor mountain pass (derived from an icon for nomad GUI)
  4. gear wheels, more similar than vanilla's now. I've also removed them as icon for "smuggler's ring" to give it something more fitting.
L3T_new_icons.png

Now I guess you are used to get new icons from me for targeted decisions (right-click interactions).
So here is the last one I added, for land related decisions.

1590255655823.png

To end with, two new loading screens! Inspired and made from Codex Manesse's illustrations.
L3T_load1.png

L3T_load2.png

• 2Like
Reactions:
I think this mod will get me back to playing CK2 on post-holy fury with HIP (I know there will be crashes with the L3T). But can I get a pro ck2 2.8.3.4 version?

Love the mod Arko!

It brings much needed flavour and uniqueness to the world. I'm playtesting it at the moment for me and my friends 'Crusader Kings II multiplayer friday's'.

Question tho. As i just started to dabble in modding myself, after finding earning money too easy in the game, how is the balance in income with this mod?
Important not: we always start in 1066 (with all DLC (expect AztecInvasions))

• 1Like
Reactions:
Love the mod Arko!

It brings much needed flavour and uniqueness to the world. I'm playtesting it at the moment for me and my friends 'Crusader Kings II multiplayer friday's'.
^^
Question tho. As i just started to dabble in modding myself, after finding earning money too easy in the game, how is the balance in income with this mod?
Important not: we always start in 1066 (with all DLC (expect AztecInvasions))
The mod doesn't influence much the balance here, unless you feel it that with the mod the game generates too much income ?
Building a cathedral with the L3T system, will sink a lot of money for more than a century, but Vanilla great works may now also fit that job.
However, next update will bring in a revision of income bonus from stewardship, because it can reach some crazy levels, making your income coming from mostly this bonus instead of holding and demesnes which I think should me more preponderant for this matter. I'll speak about that new feature soon ;)
I should probably make wars more costly, but until AI just goes for a permanent total war stance, this may be an issue.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The mod doesn't influence much the balance here, unless you feel it that with the mod the game generates too much income ?
Building a cathedral with the L3T system, will sink a lot of money for more than a century, but Vanilla great works may now also fit that job.
However, next update will bring in a revision of income bonus from stewardship, because it can reach some crazy levels, making your income coming from mostly this bonus instead of holding and demesnes which I think should me more preponderant for this matter. I'll speak about that new feature soon ;)
I should probably make wars more costly, but until AI just goes for a permanent total war stance, this may be an issue.

Yeah, i feel CK II doesn't do a great job on the money part and the balancing of income in that regard. The game makes you snowball abit too much in regard of income, and more income options mostly enhance that problem. Wars should be very expensive indeed.

As i said, just started modded myself, and the first thing we/i did was implementing a (homebrew)mod that reduced tax income for Feudals (some building income nerfs and obligations nerf), increased garrisons. I'm currently thinking a making a mod that introduces more laws. Taking some inspiration from your Octroi idea. Laws like: Increased Town Rights, lowering your prestige and feudalvassal opinion but increases your citytax (at a cost of prestige).

Anyway, thanks again for your great work!

What is the strategy to grow the holding? I am without a Hamlet in my county (I am count), while the other counts who do not even build other things are already with Hamlets and even Villages, how to get it faster?

What is the strategy to grow the holding? I am without a Hamlet in my county (I am count), while the other counts who do not even build other things are already with Hamlets and even Villages, how to get it faster?
Currently, (especially if you rolled back to a previous version), there are few ways to boost development -which commands population grow-

Of course there is the natural growth, which is lowered or stopped by :
  • sieges (neutralize natural growth)
  • occupation by foes (neutralize growth)
  • diseases (neutralize completely natural growth, even other bonuses, gives negative growth)
  • raids (gives a negative hit)
  • droughts/flooding (neutralize completely natural growth, even other bonuses, gives negative growth)
...and increased by :
  • annual natural growth itself
  • being a city (extra growth)
  • being county capital + being realm capital (each one but combination gets 100% chance to get the random bonus)
  • crown focus + industrial prosperity + bread resource (each one but combination helps getting the random bonus, prosperity+bread push the chance at 100% for that bonus)
...plus instant boosts :
  • holding specialization
  • hospital
  • trade post
  • trade route and trade centres
  • great cathedral main steps
  • beer/wine/cider
Coming soon : (aiming for a release this week/week-end)
  • better starting bonus, relying on start year and regions
  • one of steward job will help with natural grow
  • city levels
Planned :
  • food system
  • more resources/buildings
  • some specific events
  • monastic influence
The whole natural growth computation can be found inL3T_population event file.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Hello, I have been playing with this mod (v0.99 // SAINT2) for about a week, and I have come to the conclusion that there is basically no situation where the "Citadel" is better than the "Feudal Manor" nor the "Feudal City".

TEST GAME, 3 CASTLES IN ONE COUNTY:

With all buildings maxed out, the "Feudal Manor" (Fort Level 5.1) and "Feudal City" (Fort Level 7.35) have the same amount of Garrison and Levies, while the "Citadel" (Fort Level 9.5) only has ~1.5k more Garrison and Levies than those two. Also, the "Citadel" cost-benefit is very bad; it makes almost no money versus what it gives.

It seems silly that a "Feudal Manor" can hold the same amount of Light Infantry, Light Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry, and Archers as a "Feudal City", and especially the same amount as a "Citadel".

Possible ideas for change:
  1. Add a Garrison and Levy penalty (maybe -10% each) to the "Feudal Manor".
  2. Restrict the Keep, Militia Training Ground, Stables, and Cultural Buildings in the "Feudal City", and restrict further in the "Feudal Manor", like you already have with Barracks
  3. Increase "Citadel" Fort Level either directly (maybe +1 to +2.5) or by adding more Fortification-type buildings (Arrow Slits, Machicolations, Killing Fields, etc.)
  4. Add Garrison bonus to the "Citadel" like you did with Levy bonus (+10%)
That's all I can think of at the moment. I really want there to be a choice between the types of specializations, but at the moment there is not enough incentive to choose the "Citadel" over the other two. Thank you for reading this long post, I wish for your continued success!

Reactions:
Hello, I have been playing with this mod (v0.99 // SAINT2) for about a week, and I have come to the conclusion that there is basically no situation where the "Citadel" is better than the "Feudal Manor" nor the "Feudal City".

TEST GAME, 3 CASTLES IN ONE COUNTY:

With all buildings maxed out, the "Feudal Manor" (Fort Level 5.1) and "Feudal City" (Fort Level 7.35) have the same amount of Garrison and Levies, while the "Citadel" (Fort Level 9.5) only has ~1.5k more Garrison and Levies than those two. Also, the "Citadel" cost-benefit is very bad; it makes almost no money versus what it gives.

It seems silly that a "Feudal Manor" can hold the same amount of Light Infantry, Light Cavalry, Heavy Cavalry, and Archers as a "Feudal City", and especially the same amount as a "Citadel".

Possible ideas for change:
  1. Add a Garrison and Levy penalty (maybe -10% each) to the "Feudal Manor".
  2. Restrict the Keep, Militia Training Ground, Stables, and Cultural Buildings in the "Feudal City", and restrict further in the "Feudal Manor", like you already have with Barracks
  3. Increase "Citadel" Fort Level either directly (maybe +1 to +2.5) or by adding more Fortification-type buildings (Arrow Slits, Machicolations, Killing Fields, etc.)
  4. Add Garrison bonus to the "Citadel" like you did with Levy bonus (+10%)
That's all I can think of at the moment. I really want there to be a choice between the types of specializations, but at the moment there is not enough incentive to choose the "Citadel" over the other two. Thank you for reading this long post, I wish for your continued success!
Thank for playing the mod and your feedback!
You are totally right, military is the part that I touched the less and so it didn't give fortresses justice.
I'll try to address the most basic balance for next release (I did already some more general balance work regarding spec and added some buildings chains and caps on some buildings chains).
Additional specific fortifications buildings is a good idea, I was planning also some prison dungeon that would come into play for evasion, free captive CB, ransoming.
Some other idea behind fortresses is to possibly set them as march provinces.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I would advise caution when changing the numbers of troops, reducing them too much might have problems regarding leaving both player and AI with too few troops. However I do agree that additional balancing is welcomed. Another question, this mod doesn't change retinues I believe?

Reactions:
I would advise caution when changing the numbers of troops, reducing them too much might have problems regarding leaving both player and AI with too few troops. However I do agree that additional balancing is welcomed. Another question, this mod doesn't change retinues I believe?
Balancing troops is tricky because of events troops mostly. Paradox use them very extensively sadly.

Last edited:
Too small retinues make sub commander useless or must be put with a levy. And the mod sometime crash with HIP without EMF

Too small retinues make sub commander useless or must be put with a levy. And the mod sometime crash with HIP without EMF
I don't think I'll tweak retinues further than making them slightly mire expensive (or reminving them alltogether :p )

Any change to make fully compatible with HIP? I was told that for years I have missed a lot of things from both of mods while I play with them together. :( I am a silent fan of your work since the beginning and I'm desperately begging

• 1Like
Reactions:
Any change to make fully compatible with HIP? I was told that for years I have missed a lot of things from both of mods while I play with them together. :( I am a silent fan of your work since the beginning and I'm desperately begging
I've no plan for this sorry.

Reactions:
I hope you won't remove them I really love using them. But making them more expensive is OK, keeping a standing or professional army is not cheap, today or in medieval times.
If you, or anyone else who is interesting in making com-patch for HIP/EMF & L3T, I am interested in making one. However, I am not sure I can do it on my own, since I lack time and more importantly skill.
I went through some files, and I get most of it, but some things are way beyond my skill so anyone experienced in modding CKII

• 2Like
Reactions: