• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Mostly at destination of testers, a small user guide on buildings and ressources.
A previous DD has already been done on this topic, but this one could be maybe clearer (and with a nice picture ;))

[URL=http://s789.photobucket.com/user/ArKoG/media/CK2%20-%20Les%20%20Trois%20Tours/L3Tcharter1_p1_zpsf6a8ff1a.png.html][/URL]

What we have here ?

The base ressource,here "Potential for agriculture" is assigned at game start by the engine, aimed on terrain type.

f.e. Plains that are not forests can receive :
-70% chances to obtain "agriculture potential"
-20% chances to obtain "breeding potential"
-25% chances to obtain "forests demesne"
so it basicaly can have from 0 up to 3 ressources.

This potential needs to be activated by appropriate specialized holding type.
Holding are specialized into production vs transformation types. The formers activate ressources when latters can use (and require) activated ressources to develop.
The activation itself is made by building the second level of the production building. An event will inform you, it will usually pop up in the year following the end of building so be patient ;)

A production holding can only use the ressources present within the province. (those are Monastery, City village, Feudal village)
A transformation holding can use an active ressource from its own province or from an adjacent province that have such activated ressource. That feature tends to represent very local trade. (those are all other holding types)

The complementarity makes choosing well your holding types quite important.

Once activated, a ressource can be the target of variations through temporary modifiers. Here we have a bad crop vs good crop that can occur in the province. This don't pop every year but its effects merely last one year.

In the picture, agricultural potential is activated by level 2 on cereal farm. Once activated, a transformation holding in the same province or any adjacent one can now build a brewery. Cheers !
Once the level of the brewery is built it marks the province as a beer producer with specific bonus, features and flavour. That latter part will come later though with for example your monk becoming your official court brewer, inter provinces competition for beer trade etc.)
Agriculture can also be activated, jointly or not, into gardening (vegetables), vineyards (for wine), floor (for bread), ochard (for cider). Settlement types and terrain are the criteria here.

Look interesting, I'll give it a try. One question, though. it seems that you only need a production building per resource per provine +adjacencies, right?

Also, what happens with transborders trade? I think it shouldn0t be allowed to build a transformation building using the production of a neighbour that is no under the same realm as you.

Look interesting, I'll give it a try. One question, though. it seems that you only need a production building per resource per provine +adjacencies, right?
yes, but i'll maybe cap the development of some buildings if the ressource is from an adjacent province. that could be the case for brewery since it have 5 steps where the majority have only 3.
Also, some production chains are 3 steps like cereal/flour/bread.

Also, what happens with transborders trade? I think it shouldn0t be allowed to build a transformation building using the production of a neighbour that is no under the same realm as you.
two reasons :
-i think very local trade is not supposed to be affected by the politics of upper liege/realm.
-i'm not sure we could code such limitation.

As for the inter-realm limitation, I was thinking specifically what would happen between hostile realms. But well, I suppose it can be argued that the nature of medieval farfare didn't preulde long-term mercantile exchanges, even between hostile realms?

As for coding the limitation, if you can scope to the province producing the resource, then you should be able to use holder_scope to select its owner and the top_liege to select the owner's liege, and check if he is the top liege of the actual province where you want to build (that should be root if i'm not mistaken.

Something like:
Code:
potential = { 
OR = {
has_province_modifier = X
any_adjacent_province = { 
And = { 
has_province_modifier = X 
holder_scope = { 
top_liege = {
any_vassal = FROM  } } } } }

I'm quite certain my use of scope is wrong, specially, I think that holder_scope can only be used in a title context as opposed to a province context, right? But something along those lines should be possible. Is there a way to scope from a province to its corresponding county title?

Last edited:
FROM is used to targets the province owner

I know, ad that's intentional. If I understand rightly, my crappy code should read as: " for the building to be avaiable, this province must have the X modifier, or any adjacent province must have both the modifier and a holder whose top liege is FROM's top liege." But I don't know if it achieves to mean that

one simple way would be to avoid starting such construction if the holder is at war. but once the building is built, there is nothing that can be done really.

BETA5 is now live. see post#2 for download link and notice.

just re-up asmall fix in the .mod file

"swmh_for_l3t" should point to swmh2.854 instead of swmh. you could either edit .mod or just download the fixed version ;)

It is supposed to work fine with the other modules of HIP? (I'm asking just in case, I wouldn't want to report bugs that turn to be faux positives...).

Also, If too much of the localisation is placeholder I probably will make a grunt translation for my personal use. If it resembles something an English-speaker could tolerate, I'll upload it

Edit: started it alongsinde the HIP using the swmh specific .mod file. Nothing happens. After one year no resource modifier appears, and no new building is in sight....

Edit2: started this time without SWMH, with the appropriate launcher, and this time I got an event asking which version was playing, and the only option stated I was playing WITH SWMH. I think something might be wrong with those events. Anyway, I will give it a try

Last edited:
It is supposed to work fine with the other modules of HIP? (I'm asking just in case, I wouldn't want to report bugs that turn to be faux positives...).
no, that is why it is not included in HIP ;)
Arkopack, swmh and nbrt+ works fine with it.

Also, If too much of the localisation is placeholder I probably will make a grunt translation for my personal use. If it resembles something an English-speaker could tolerate, I'll upload it
that's more for other users than me as i never play in english myself. i'd prefer to have some standard quality for the texts, but it woul be up to the anglophones players to bring the quality up. i've already get a proposal from caocao268 to work on it.
But anyone is welcome to help^^

Edit: started it alongsinde the HIP using the swmh specific .mod file. Nothing happens. After one year no resource modifier appears, and no new building is in sight....
you really need to use a standard version of SWMH installed in mod/swmh2.854 as it is the directory designated by the compatch .mod file i provide. you can however change this to point to your HIP install if it is an install with mentionned compatible modules ;)

Edit2: started this time without SWMH, with the appropriate launcher, and this time I got an event asking which version was playing, and the only option stated I was playing WITH SWMH. I think something might be wrong with those events. Anyway, I will give it a try
well, the only choice at the startup event is SWMH, but you can use it with vanilla with no hurt with current version. so the one choice event is normal. the second mapmod it will be compatible is... something else i can't reveal yet :p

To see if all works correctly, just pass a few months ingame and all province will modifiers, a first wave will mark the coastal provinces, then ressources are distributed. 3rd phase in when you are asked to choose the specialization of each one of your personnal holdings.

Ah, will it possibly be compatible in the future?
i'll try to keep the construction of the code the more compatible as possible with any mod but i have no plan for compatching with the whole HIP.

Playing with the default HIP setup and this mod, my armies are suffering attrition damage in my own territory. Also, the monthly cost to raise demesne troops is too high in my opinion.

Edit: Seems it's not compatible with PB. That's a shame, this feels like the one thing HIP is missing before it becomes a supermod, in my opinion. Good work though, Arko. I can't wait to see the full release.

Last edited:
Arko, if your mod can convince players to actually rule instead of planning the next invasion elsewhere, you would have succeeded.

You made a very good point. It should be about ruling the territories and people you have, but often it just becomes a game of expansion. Building mods greatly enhance that experience. Like in Lux Invicta, you can focus on building improvements in your own counties instead of war after war.

Jorah Mormont's observation from A Song of Ice and Fire set me thinking: Sometimes, it is better to just tend to your lands, and when the time comes to fight, you fight and then go back home to the farm.

Playing with the default HIP setup and this mod, my armies are suffering attrition damage in my own territory. Also, the monthly cost to raise demesne troops is too high in my opinion.
Edit: Seems it's not compatible with PB. That's a shame, this feels like the one thing HIP is missing before it becomes a supermod, in my opinion. Good work though, Arko. I can't wait to see the full release.

yes, troops amounts and troops' cost and such are quite sketchy atm.
I don't want to bother much with compatibilities since i don't to restrain myself on features. compatch time would come later maybe ;)

You made a very good point. It should be about ruling the territories and people you have, but often it just becomes a game of expansion. Building mods greatly enhance that experience. Like in Lux Invicta, you can focus on building improvements in your own counties instead of war after war.
Yes it is the idea.

Jorah Mormont's observation from A Song of Ice and Fire set me thinking: Sometimes, it is better to just tend to your lands, and when the time comes to fight, you fight and then go back home to the farm.
I might need to restrain a bit the over agressivness of AI that just tend to inicte player to do as well. A few way to explore : peace of god at game start to let the holdings specialize a bit ; limitation on DJ CB that are just too much automatic, easy and so boring. Maybe also a crown law to set a long term policy to be warry or more peacefull (or defensive vs offensive) for one full reign. I've tested the latter to specialize republics into pure merchant rep. (more money, less troops, less CB) a more state-like republics (less money, more troops, full CB).