[MOD] Kleio, a Historical Rework of Imperator: Rome (Abandoned)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Love what you're doing. That thing about the roads finally explain the situation in the Bronze Age mod. The invisible roads are really annoying and the random roads in the middle of nowhere are also annoying but both are excused entirely if the fault is entirely with the modding tools.

Crikey, that is some very aggressive splitting. Inshallah, we will not rest until every city tile in the game has its own culture

I wonder if the map modding problems could be circumvented by reverting to a previous (pre-tool breakage) version of the game, editing the map in that, exporting the spline network and then using those files with the current version. I don't think the map format has changed too much?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really like your plan for Carthage, and I think a Carthage playthrough with your mod should be fantastic! A special and interesting approach at Carthage's unique strengths and weaknesses.

Maybe you could consider leaving aside the map changes and release already what you can?

Last edited:
Any chance of moving the starting date back to 323 BC, the day after Alexander's Death to be precise?

The main reason behind this is that the vanilla start date contains five large nations (Macedon, Antigonid, Ptolemaic, Seleucid, Maurya) that steamroll everyone resulting in the same end scenarios. The situation gets worse after a few years since one of them gets split between three others. All the while Rome and Maurya already start unopposed allowing them to outpower their rivals and later become unstoppable.

The 323 BC start would split the combined four large nations into smaller ones (Partition of Babylon), allowing lesser local nations to match their combined power with the lessened sizes of the Diadochi individually. The earlier start date would weaken Maurya and Rome, giving neighbouring nations extra time to survive and slowing their expansion. Lastly, important characters that are already dead by the time of the vanilla start date might impact the wars of the Diadochi differently which could result into more interesting scenarios such as Alexander's son or brother ruling, Greek Victory in the Lamian War preventing Greece being pawns for the Diadochi, Perdiccas and/or Eumenes creating their own kingdom, Seleucus remains loyal to Antigonid, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Any chance of moving the starting date back to 323 BC, the day after Alexander's Death to be precise?

The main reason behind this is that the vanilla start date contains five large nations (Macedon, Antigonid, Ptolemaic, Seleucid, Maurya) that steamroll everyone resulting in the same end scenarios. The situation gets worse after a few years since one of them gets split between three others. All the while Rome and Maurya already start unopposed allowing them to outpower their rivals and later become unstoppable.

The 323 BC start would split the combined four large nations into smaller ones (Partition of Babylon), allowing lesser local nations to match their combined power with the lessened sizes of the Diadochi individually. The earlier start date would weaken Maurya and Rome, giving neighbouring nations extra time to survive and slowing their expansion. Lastly, important characters that are already dead by the time of the vanilla start date might impact the wars of the Diadochi differently which could result into more interesting scenarios such as Alexander's son or brother ruling, Greek Victory in the Lamian War preventing Greece being pawns for the Diadochi, Perdiccas and/or Eumenes creating their own kingdom, Seleucus remains loyal to Antigonid, etc.
Wouldn't this make rome too small? like at that start date Rome was starting the Samnite war, and just two years later the Caudine forks happened, so maybe this'd make Samnium too strong, not that i dislike that by any means

Reduced reliance on modifier stacking. This is a long term goal, and I am not sure how well I:R can even manage this. But the game's focus on stacking modifiers is very unhealthy game design. Stack enough of them and some things stop being an issue.
Hey! Really great and detailed mod you are working on!

Do you already have some ideas or a blueprint on this topic you mentioned in the op? I'm really curious about it.

While I'm not completely against some modifier stacking, I'm not a huge fan either and a overwhelming stacking of modifiers leads e.g. to overpowered human players in the late game, which makes the game too easy against the AI players - they aren't good in stacking them themselves.

Reactions:
Wouldn't this make rome too small? like at that start date Rome was starting the Samnite war, and just two years later the Caudine forks happened, so maybe this'd make Samnium too strong, not that i dislike that by any means
In vanilla, Rome starts with a bunch of subjects and territories surrounding Samnium giving them a few years to survive until they are conquered. The following image contains proposed changes for 323BC which would weaken Rome while empowering Samnium creating a situation where both sides have a chance to win.
  • Rome would lose some bordering territories marked by the red shading, while the subjects Marsia and Pelignia get transferred to Samnium.
  • Nuceria and Frentania became allies to Samnium and Roman territories in Apulia becomes independent and allied to Apulia.
  • Rome ends up with 309 and 42 levies (with 4 extra support) while Samnium including their subjects and allies ends up with 323 pop and 36 levies (Nuceria, one of the allies contains 30 pop and 4 levies which flipped to Rome's side during the war).
Italy.png

Here are other screenshots of my 323BC attempt a few months ago which describes my previous proposals. Some internal borders contains multiple nations for example Sogdiana with Bactria, or Phrygia with Pamphylia and Lycia. A nation from every internal border is chosen to be the overlord of all nations inside the same internal border. I was planning to make the league of Corinth act as a large defensive league or a "HRE" in eu4 until the Lamian War, and Maurya would break away the Western provinces in Magadha and start a civil war.

Overview.png

Greece.png

India.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
In vanilla, Rome starts with a bunch of subjects and territories surrounding Samnium giving them a few years to survive until they are conquered. The following image contains proposed changes for 323BC which would weaken Rome while empowering Samnium creating a situation where both sides have a chance to win.
  • Rome would lose some bordering territories marked by the red shading, while the subjects Marsia and Pelignia get transferred to Samnium.
  • Nuceria and Frentania became allies to Samnium and Roman territories in Apulia becomes independent and allied to Apulia.
  • Rome ends up with 309 and 42 levies (with 4 extra support) while Samnium including their subjects and allies ends up with 323 pop and 36 levies (Nuceria, one of the allies contains 30 pop and 4 levies which flipped to Rome's side during the war).
View attachment 770507

Here are other screenshots of my 323BC attempt a few months ago which describes my previous proposals. Some internal borders contains multiple nations for example Sogdiana with Bactria, or Phrygia with Pamphylia and Lycia. A nation from every internal border is chosen to be the overlord of all nations inside the same internal border. I was planning to make the league of Corinth act as a large defensive league or a "HRE" in eu4 until the Lamian War, and Maurya would break away the Western provinces in Magadha and start a civil war.

View attachment 770513

View attachment 770514

View attachment 770515
Awesome scenario, part of me wishes this was used in Invictus but equally, the headache it would entail would certainly be confusing. I feel the idea of somewhat nerfing the great powers makes it more interesting to play around them. Imagine if this was a slightly alternate start date...

View attachment 770507
I feel like you are forgetting that Marsia, Pelignia, Aequia and the Marrucini were in alliance with themselves, not with Samnium, and still the map is inaccurate as Potentia was the most impotant lucanian city, Irna was its own thing and the territories of Iuvanum and Venafrum would be Samnite. Carsioli and Alba Fucens were still Aequi by this point, and the Marrucini controlled Aternum but you could add Interamna or switch them to Vestini so the central apennine alliance would be connected, and tbh Nuceria and Frentania fit better as Samnite vassals, while the northern tribes as Allies would make more sense

Babylonia
Babylonia

Good news everyone, I managed to figure out what makes the map editor crash. It generates some bad files every time I open it. Sadly, that doesn't fix the entire thing as some problems were introduced by dodgey updates but hopefully they'll come back and fix these things in a future (final?) update to I:R. Lord knows we deserve one! Ontop of that, someone in the modding discord found a way to regenerate roads which is wonderful as well!

Heartland of Cities, "Heart of Iran", the Fertile Land, Birthplace of Democracy (Athens eat your heart out!), Babylonia is framed by the Tigris and Euphrates which were the source of its fertility. Yet that is a simplification. Over millennia, the inhabitants of this region developed a sophisticated system of jetties, levees, dams, weirs, sluices, reservoirs, and canals great an small. This system functioned as the arteries of the region, irrigating vast swathes of land, allowing for transport of goods and people, and allowing a population density and urbanisation that after its decline would not again be seen until the the 15th century in the Low Countries. (Funnily enough, also a massive floadplain with highly elaborate water management systems.) The problem here is, as with much of the Near East, the lack of good sources. In Babylonia we have some clay tablets, but these are often dealing with local matters and do not offer us a very broad view. More useful is the 5th century Murashu Archive which contain the records of a business family from Nippur provide a great insight in the inner workings of the region. A lot of flavour events are based on information from their archives. Furthermore, a massive list of names has been added, both male and female, and the family names have been entirely redone to use the native system of kin group and family names.

In terms of written sources, they are all of mediochre use, and its archaeology that has provided most help in reconstructing this region. There's likely more tablets and perhaps even some texts out there that could give us further insight into the region - but stuff looted tends to take decades to resurface and so we'll have to do with the few sources we have. Particularly the lower Tigris area (this region of Iraq roughly between Kut and Hamdan) is seriously lacking in-depth research, though we do know the central area was densely settled in the Hellenistic and Parthian periods. In then end, my work here is but a snapshot of our current understanding of this region - one which is not even remotely near complete.

Looting and destruction of the archaeological heritage is a big issue, especially since the Iraq war, where looting has commenced on a scale not seen before - to be squirreled away by dealers, American soldiers, businessmen, and to end up in the hands of wealthy "collectors"* and museums around the world. On the way they are aided by banks, auction houses, museums, universities, and conservators* who help create false provenance or hide things in their vaults for a few decades before they are sold at auction houses. In the meantime, sites and objects not deemed valuable by the looters are left destroyed. And in the next 10-20 years we'll see the great museums and universities of the world suddenly acquire all kinds of new valuable objects either directly via purchase, or on loan from shady benefactors. In museums looted objects are easily recognizable by vague or nonexistent origins on their museum plaques. And generally almost everything at an antiquities dealer or auction house has been looted and thus comes with the additional price tag of having its archaeological context destroyed, somewhere in the world.

Sadly it seems unlikely anything will be done against this in the foreseeable future, with only the most egregious cases being handled once they hit the antiquities circuit. For an example, see Hobby Lobby/Green Collection case for a good example on how easy it is to buy tens of thousands of looted objects with just a slap on the wrist. This includes loads of finds from the city of Iri-Sagrig which clearly being largely plundered but which we don't even know the location of - and its likely whats left is extremely damaged. Another is the case of Cornell University's CUNES Collection, where over ten thousand looted tablets - each a valuable source into this ancient region - were collected. Here too we find over a thousand tablets from a city we've not yet located, ancient Garshana and smaller amounts from other unlocated cities such as Du-Enlila, Dur-Abi-eshuh, and again Iri-Sagrig. In this case a lot was donated to the university for a tax deduction - showing how interwoven the network of complicity is in this terrible crime.

*(Which is what we call buyers of stolen goods if they are wealthy.)

20211208014437_1.jpg

The Cities within the Heartland of Cities in 304 BCE. It is the area between Der, Seleukeia, and Nippur that would become the new centre of this region in Seleuco-Parthian times.

To create a more accurate representation in Imperator, the entire river system needed to be overhauled as it currently uses the modern representation. Luckily, we've got a fairly good idea of the rough layout of the main channels in ancient times, and I've made the most important ones navigable. Ontop of that, most of the region is Floodplain terrain - which replaces Farmland. (For more on that check the bit on terrain at the end.) Ontop of that, the province density has increased to allow for the enormous population and urbanisation levels present in this region, making Roman Italy at its height look positively rural by comparison (which it mostly was anyway). And not just in terms of population was this region rich - it also produced vast harvests with amazing yields which fed this massive population. Many new provinces can now host river ports as well, this includes: Nippur, Uruk, Larsa, Kashkar, Borsippa, Kuthah, Girumu, and perhaps one or two I forgot.

Ontop of that, a large amount of pop changes have happened. This region has historically been extremely multicultural, and at the start of the game it was without a doubt the most diverse region in the world. The number of cities has also vastly increased, since many were missing. There are also no more cities with a Hellenic majority, even if Alexander's entire army settled down in 1 territory that would not have been possible. Ontop of that, both Orchoe (Uruk) and Babylon are playable based on early Hellenistic evidence of these cities having some sort of autonomy. This all has impacted the Seleucid economy quite a bit, and I am still rebalancing the scales but the increased cultural diversity across their kingdom has also brought increased risks. The Babylonians have been unintegrated - early on there existed a state of apartheid between the Greeks and natives. Integrating them also gives the option to integrate Uruk and Babylon. How likely they are to agree depends on how well your standing with them has been. Various events based on historical examples have been included, and a few flavour ones in a similar vein. Usually one of the options will lead to a better standing with the Babylonian cities, with the other(s, sometimes theres more) having a different outcome that might be more beneficial in the short term. But beware of pushing them too far... It is best to keep the heartland of cities loyal and productive.

The following cultures are present in Babylonia based on historical evidence:
Iudaeans, Samarians, Cappadocians, Ionians, Euboeans, Oxydracae, Gandharans, Sabaeans, Minaeans, Agraeans, Scenitae, Cedarites, Tyrians, Sidonians, Ascalonians, Byblians, Idumaeans, Amyrgians, Sacae, Carmanians, Parthians, Tapyrians, Paraetacenians, Mardians, Hyrcanians, Medians, Sagartians, Persians, Matienians, Macedonians, Cretans, Boeotians, Nubians, Aeolians, Cyrenaicans, Chalcidicians, Thessalians, Elymaeans, Susians, Uxians, Gedrosians, Assyrians, Sittacenians, Adiabenians, Mesenians, Bactrians, Margians, Sogdians, Chorasmians, Areians, Darangians, Arachosians, Tylosians, Mycians, Cadusians, Sattagydians, Armenians, Palmyrenes, Osrhoenians, Lydians, Cilicians, Phrygians, Carians, Lycians, Paphlagonians, Melitenians, Bithynians, Thracians (since I have not worked on them yet, this group is likely to diverge) and of course the native Babylonians.

The following cities have been added: Pallakottas, Kish, Kuthah, Sippar, Teredon, Dilbat, Marad, Dabrum, Uruk, Larsa, Pantibiblos, Larak, Nagsu, Udannu, Girumu, Ur, and Babylon has become a Metropolis. (Also: Der was made a city, located on the border of Sittacene and Susiane)

While Apamea, Bagdata, Ctesiphon, and Vologesias have been downgraded to Settlements. Because they are later foundations. Seleukeia had all its buildings removed since it is a freshly built city (it might not even have been finished yet by 304 BCE)

A new Province Improvement has been added, which is only available in certain areas - Irrigation Systems. These add increased food and resource production, population capacity, but come at a monthly financial cost required for their upkeep. Irrigation Systems are always buildable in Floodplains, Oases, and Marshes, and in Deserts and Plains adjacent to rivers. Its a costly thing to add and you'll likely not want to do it in underdeveloped provinces as it'll easily cost more then a lot of provinces make. I have some ideas on how to improve this system further, but thats for later. Some regions are already heavily irrigated at the start - Babylonia, the area around Nineveh, Susiana, Persis, Bactria, the Samarcand area, Chorasmia, Darangia, Cilicia Campestris, Lydia, the Maeander, Dascylitis, the Aragats-Ararat region, Melitene, inner South Arabia, and of course Egypt. (A future rework of the Climate system will make Irrigation Systems even more valuable below the 250 mm isohyet zone.)

20211208024024_1.jpg

The Babylonian Floodplain in 304 BCE, W.I.P.

The region surrounding Babylonia is still a bit of a WIP since our sources are not as good (not that our sources are particularly good on Babylonia, of course). This includes Susiane, Sittacene, and the Gulf Coast. Sittacene was not as densely populated at the start of the Hellenistic period, but the shift of the regional capital from the Euphrates as Babylon to Seleukeia and later Ctesiphon saw this region explode with impressive canal systems and urbanisation. Now, of course the power of the Tigris and Euphrates comes with one issue: They flow where they want to flow. By 304 BCE the Euphrates is still in the process of changing its primary channel, which in due time will lead to (further) desertification and marsh formation in some parts along its course. To its north, the Tigris remained relatively stable throughout this period, with its modern courses dating from around the 10th (The Shayk-Saad) and 13th (the Gharraf) centuries CE. The old branch of the Tigris can still be seen inbetween the two. Susiane and the broader Elamite area will get its own post once its finished, as such an often glossed over region deserves, probably together with the Gulf Coast. (Though, most of the latter will happen when I rework this region of Arabia.)

Now, on to the grand total of.... 2 tags! (The Seleukids will get the limelight when I discuss broad changes to the Diadochi)

Babilim (Babylon) - The ancient metropolis of Babylon has seen many, many empires rise and fall and would survive the Achaemenids, Argeads, and Seleucids as well. Though it is this last dynasty that would send the city down its terminal path by shifting the centre of power to the Tigris. The city of Babylon had an estimated population of 50-60.000 at this time, surrounded by a densely settled hinterland. It was home to the great ziggurat, the Ésagil of Babylon, "the House whose Top is High", home of Marduk. Surrounded by a thick wall and flanked by great gates, the city housed craftsmen, farmers, schools, shrines, palaces, gardens, libraries, temples, a garrison, and much more. It truly was the city worthy of the Kings of the World, for it was the greatest city in the world of Imperator. No wonder Alexander wanted to make it his residence before he died, as many had done before him including the great Persian and Achaemenid kings. Babylon in the Hellenistic period continued on as usual for a time, as the leading economic, religious, cultural, and scholarly centre in Babylonia and the Hellenistic Near East.

At the head of the city was the shatammu, the leader of the temple council of the Ésagil. The city is still very much the capital of the east, seeing little in the way of a Greek presence at this early stage. Soon, however, with the recent completion of Seleukos' new capital at Seleukeia the centre of the region would shift away from Babylon, and so will its fortunes. Eventually the city would see some Hellenic elements and a small Greek-speaking population beyond the military element left there by Alexander.

Yet even after its decline in the Parthian period, the city would continue to spark the imagination of future generations - a truly legendary city. Babylon can form Babylonia, naturally.

Uruk (Orchoe) - Which turns me to Uruk. A city shining not as bright in the modern mind as Babylon ever did, but in its own way just as magnificent. By the time Babylon was founded, Uruk was already ancient. Often called the First City, home of Gilgamesh and the bit resh where the temples of Isthar, Anu, and Antu stood. Like Babylon and many other Babylonian cities, Uruk in the Hellenistic period was known for its "Chaldaeans" - mathematicians, astrologers, exorcists, astronomers, philosophers, theologians, botanists, and other kinds scientists and scholars. Uruk once covered an area larger then the Servian Wall of Rome - but it is an old city and by 304 BCE has declined to only about 40.000 people. The main cause of this decline has been a shift in the Euphrates, and in general a shift towards the region of Babylon. Still part of a fertile region, where it and the nearby ancient city of Larsa are the main south-Babylonian centres, Uruk fortunes were not good. To its south, the shifting of the Euphrates has left ancient centres such as Eridu and Ur having to deal with marshy conditions and desertification, and near the end of the game Uruk too would see changing conditions.

Like Babylon, Orchoe can form Babylonia.

Emerging TAGs:

But they were not the only entities in this region during the game's timeframe. At Girsu, the ancient city of Gudea, a new palace was built at its heart reusing some of the ancient statues. Likely the centre of a small principality or kingdom before it was swallowed by the Parthians, but the true nature of this polity is unknown. In the southern part of the delta, the kingdom of Mesene/Characene would rise as the Seleucids declined. Centred on the rebuilt city of Charax, founded by Alexander in the past to act as the commercial gateway to Babylon, this kingdom was led by a former governor of the south. Likewise, a breakaway state formed to the north in the Elymais, the mountains and hills surrounding the fertile plains of Susiana. From here the Elymaeans created the final Elamite kingdom, likewise in the wake of Seleucid decline. Briefly expanding all the way to Babylon, sources suggest it was the actions of Antiokhos IV that set their rise into motion. These three can form earlier as well if the Seleucids do particularly bad. And across other regions other formations can appear as well - but I will cover those when those regions come up.

I'm still pondering whether I'll allow other breakaway states upon Seleucid (or other Diadoch) fragmentation. As mentioned before, the main issue with much of the Ancient Near East is the lack of good sources since the end of the Neo-Assyrian state. In the north and west we do get a smattering of breakaway states across most of the region, and to the east of here we have a cluster (Girsu, Mesene, Elymais, and Persis).

20211208014427_1.jpg

The TAG setup for Babylonia, 304 BCE.

Now, a few other things:

Farmlands > Floodplains. I've never been a big fan of the Farmland terrain. It is a typical example of Imperator's broader design issues, and for a "Civilization" builder the lack of the ability to affect the terrain in a meaningful way was a pretty egregious mistake. Farmland is this replaced with Floodplain, which has similar boni but also comes with various problems. Primarily, well, floods. Now these are not as big a problem everywhere, and Egypt will get its own system seperately due to this difference. But floods elsewhere were generally a problem, including in the gigantic delta of the Tigris and Euphrates. As such, while their bounties are great they can occasionally cause loss of life, destruction of buildings, and loss of harvests. But this is a small price to pay for the benefits. High population density, high food yield, and increased resource output. Other negatives are reduced unit movement (though building Roads and Irrigation solves most of this, abstracting water transportation), and the higher vulnerability to devasation caused by wars.

What makes good farmland is now instead based on climate, the availability of smaller or greater rivers, and the player's investment into agriculture.

Seleucid Levies: The Seleucids now start with a vastly reduced number of Hellenic pops, in return for a vastly increased levy modifier. This means that you get much more bang for your buck from your Argead army populations, but you'll need to supplement those armies with mercenaries from your periphery. You'll also start with a bunch of integrated cultures (Right now, Macedonian, Thessalian, Chalcidician, Paeonian*, Thracian*). You can choose to stick with these, relying in colonists (an unfinished feature) and integrating further Hellenic populations as you expand your kingdom. Or to "go native" and integrate various larger population groups such as the Persians, Babylonians, and Assyrians to fight for you at the cost of your big levee modifier. Or you could create some native vassals to do the fighting for you, like the Assyrians, Persians, and Macedonians so far have done with the peoples of the Levantine coast who supplied them with vast navies. The SEL Heritage does now come with a small reduction to Mercenary costs as well.

Sadly, I don't think I can do any more to simulate the military importance of the remnants of Alexander's army while also having the pop numbers make sense. Once the immigration/colonisation mechanic is finished this should provide an additional option which will come with consequences of its own. But thats Imperator for you, gotta row with the oars it has.

*Those cultures are untouched, might change in the future

Changes to Bloodlines: Likely not everyone's favourite, but Bloodlines have been nerfed. They now mostly provide increased prominence, heir support, and legitimacy or senate influence. No more increased stats. I added a few more at the start: Blood of Orontes found across the Orontids and their cadet branches, and which is used for a smattering of Armenian events.
Blood of Achaemenes found with Amastris.

Bloodlines will be mostly used for events and decisions. There will also be opportunities claim a bloodline, as historically monarchs in the Near East. Right now those with Blood of Orontes can claim Achaemenid heritage, as can the Mithridatids after they have become independent from their Diadochic yoke (more on that in the future, but the Mithridates events are entirely different).

Oh, and I forgot something:

Dates: Dates are now a food item. Being a staple crop for a large part of the map, they should be nowhere else. They give +3 Food, and a Supply Limit bonus.

Now, I'll be able to show off much more with the map editor working again, especially excited for Egypt. I'm also nearly done with Phoenicia, which for all its fame is surprusingly underresearched and took longer then expected.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
And of course I said I'd reply, sorry for that. Its a really busy period for me, about to move jobs and countries. Next I'd like to look at Cilicia, which is basically done, and after that Cappadocia, Pontic and Tauric alike.

Is it perhaps possible to rebuild the system of the economy so that the pops actually consume goods? At the moment, only food is needed. I can then make all the patricians in the capital happy in Rome by importing a single commodity.
I would not be surprised if its possible, however, I don't know if its feasible to even try. Thats a rework of a system on the level of MEIOU&Taxes and I don't think Imperator can handle that and still be a playable game.

The system of slavery also needs changes. The proportion of slaves is far too high and is not falling either.
It has seen some substantial changes, but I've not finished everything yet. But the base amount of slaves will be much lower, and most regions wont see high percentages of slaves naturally.

Revising the trading system as such is probably too much to ask.

Maybe the creation of more classes. The urban lower class would be appropriate.
I also don't think much can be revised - there is a lot hardcoded and some parts are bugged. I did have a grand design of reworked pops in mind, but this has been scrapped - due to the way I:R works I think it works best with a smaller amount of pops. Though a few new ones are still W.I.P.

This is great, i absolutely love the detail on southern anatolia, props to ya
Thanks, there's more to come, esp. for Lycia and Cilicia as well.

Looking forward to see more. This has potential for amazing mod.

By the way, so you have any plans for massalia and the greek colonies in that region?
Thank you, I certainly do. I've come across much interesting material whole researching nearby areas, and dug up plenty of good sources. But for now its in the queue as I would like to finish what I have changed so far.

This looks great, really excited - any way I can help out?

Thanks, for the kind words and the offer. What experience/skills do you have with regards to modding?

The scope of this is breathtaking, it's a complete overhaul of the map and the cultures of Imperator.
Thank you! Yes, such was the intent. Of course not every part of the world can have the same level of detail, we simply lack sources for large swathes of it.

Do you have a team, or you are doing this mostly by yourself?
Just me, though I have some friends whom I aggressively throw material at I cannot read.

we will not rest until every city tile in the game has its own culture
Not that far, but where its important - sort of. Some cultures are simply missing, other are wrong, and again others are better off being split for a better mix of historical representation and gameplay. Another important guiding idea in the end is to encourage the player to leave vassals in various areas as historically empires did.

I don't think the map format has changed too much?
No its solely the tools. The map only got a few new elements added over time.

I really like your plan for Carthage, and I think a Carthage playthrough with your mod should be fantastic! A special and interesting approach at Carthage's unique strengths and weaknesses.

Maybe you could consider leaving aside the map changes and release already what you can?
It should offer an interesting alternative to Rome. There is a lot I'd like to do with them in the future, I have 4 pages of notes just from researching Phoenicia and the Phoenicians - on Carthage. As to releasing, I plan on finishing the gameplay side of things, and leaving the beautification for later as most of it doesn't seem to break saves.

Oh I wish.

btw, Anything on the Samnites and italy apart rome in general?
Lots, the whole of Italy has been overhauled, extensively.

Do you already have some ideas or a blueprint on this topic you mentioned in the op? I'm really curious about it.

While I'm not completely against some modifier stacking, I'm not a huge fan either and a overwhelming stacking of modifiers leads e.g. to overpowered human players in the late game, which makes the game too easy against the AI players - they aren't good in stacking them themselves.
Yes, I'd like to move most of them to stuff you invest in - buildings, province modifiers, systems. And most of them being thus focussed on specific areas and not your whole empire. Empire wide bonuses should only come in small increments, and often with drawbacks. And even there some might only apply (via modifiers) to specific provinces. Things like happiness, loyalty, and dealing with a diverse cultural and religious population as you expand should never not be an issue, but one you can deal with locally or regionally, not by adopting the right tech and then forgetting about it.

Imagine if this was a slightly alternate start date...
Almost every year forwards or backwards has a big impact in this timeframe, its crazy how much happened which we actually have sources for in this period.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Dates: Dates are now a food item. Being a staple crop for a large part of the map, they should be nowhere else. They give +3 Food, and a Supply Limit bonus.​
What about olives? Pretty fundamental cornerstone of the Mediterranean diet as I understand it.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This looks really sexy and cool. If you need an Iranologist, I study pre-Islamic Iran (though admittedly focusing on the Achaemenid Empire) and have been helping out Invictus with sources for the Parthians. I also do possess sources for the Seleukids, though I cannot claim the skill and academic excellence with the Hellenistic period, as can my more Hellenistically minded colleagues. I also read and speak Persian and German for academic sources in those languages.

Or you could create some native vassals to do the fighting for you, like the Assyrians, Persians, and Macedonians so far have done with the peoples of the Levantine coast who supplied them with vast navies. The SEL Heritage does now come with a small reduction to Mercenary costs as well.
Instantly going to torpedo any chances of me helping along with this by pointing out that at least by the Achaemenid period, the "vassals" of the Levantine coast were fully integrated into the state and the navy was built and provided by the Achaemenid state, while Phoenicians, Egyptians and whatnot simply crewed the ships. Only very early in the Achaemenid Dynasty's history could they be described more as vassals than simply part of the province. For example Pierre Briant refers to it as "a royal fleet constructed on the initiative of the central government and commanded by Persian officers".

• 3Like
Reactions:
Re-reading the teasers in this thread and I got to say: I am still super pumped for this mod.

Reactions:
Is the project still alive?

Nope, sorry. I thought I had made a post here but I never seem to have actually done so, its been a hectic time.

I moved across countries and when I had settled into my new life, job, and solved most issues that popped up, I realised modding Imperator in its current state is just a waste of time compared to the enjoyment I get out of it. There's too many broken tools, wierd bugs, hardcoded bad designs, and general annoyances. I'm toying with the idea of maybe making the move to Victoria 3 at some point, which would make for a much more suitable platform for the direction I was trying to take Imperator in anyway. But that will depend on both my own time come release, and whether some elements are moddable or not.

On the other hand, if Imperator gets some fixes I might get back to it instead. I still have all my research notes and the modded game backed-up just in case. But not in this state, with my own time being greatly reduced I just cannot spend my free time dealing with something that causes more annoyance then enjoyment.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Sad to hear but I will hope that it will work out with Victoria III and we can play the mod in the future. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: