[Mod] JK_Variants 1.8.0.0 - 175+ 'Mechs and 125+ Vees, Rarity Tables, and more

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@Pode

Thanks, I do follow Edmond's excellent guide...that is what I mean by a total and complete uninstall/reinstall, that is why this conflict (and investigation) is such a pain in the 4th point of contact

@Eximar..the download is Modtek 1.70 which ,quite frankly,hasn't made a bit of difference so far

@JK

Ok, well did a total and complete reinstall.....without a Mods folder even made

Did an initial start of Career and saved game...no problems

Made a Mods folder then Injected Modtek 1.70

Installed Variants ,and Variants modules only , into Mods folder

The only Variants modules that where activated where:

Campaign, Star League, Skirmish, DLC...CAB module not activated, nor was CAB in the folder

Restarted Career from previous save

Guess what?, Circles!!!!!!!...….

The output log is throwing the null exception again.

1st Pass logs below:

Attachments

• Modtek 1st pass-No CAB.zip
    10,1 KB · Views: 7
  • Outputlog 1st Pass no CAB.zip
    7,4 KB · Views: 8
@Justin Kase which ModTek is it that you have attached in post 631 above?

1.7.0 - should be the latest from his Git

@Mongo101 - looking again. Sorry it is throwing fits :(

The save that threw the circles is the new Career you had just saved on the reinstall, correct? Not an older career save.

1.7.0 - should be the latest from his Git

@Mongo101 - looking again. Sorry it is throwing fits :(

The save that threw the circles is the new Career you had just saved on the reinstall, correct? Not an older career save.

@JK

Yes this was done on a totally clean uninstall-reinstall (deletion of registry...etc.)

Actually Justin...Modtek 0.7.3 is the latest Modtek up at GitHub.

Modtek 1.70 is only available as source code now, so thank you for posting it here as I here that 0.7.3 has a lot of issues.

And no problem with the mod having issues, I'm here to help in anyway I can so that this problem gets fixed so that other people can enjoy it, I'm sorry that I'm the one that has to bring this problem to your attention, but better me than somebody who is totally clueless on how to help you figure it out (I'm only half clueless....:D).

Your work is to good for it not to run flawlessly;)

@JK

Yes this was done on a totally clean uninstall-reinstall (deletion of registry...etc.)

Actually Justin...Modtek 0.7.3 is the latest Modtek up at GitHub.

Modtek 1.70 is only available as source code now, so thank you for posting it here as I here that 0.7.3 has a lot of issues.

And no problem with the mod having issues, I'm here to help in anyway I can so that this problem gets fixed so that other people can enjoy it, I'm sorry that I'm the one that has to bring this problem to your attention, but better me than somebody who is totally clueless on how to help you figure it out (I'm only half clueless....:D).

Your work is to good for it not to run flawlessly;)

Heh thank you for that - and for your patience ;)

I'm actually doing a fresh install myself just to see if I can break it as well.

@Mongo101 I am still at a loss :/

Try blanking out everything in your Mods folder and use the attached ZIP in there instead. This is the exact build I use for my testing (aside from missing the CommunityAssetBundle folder)

-- something else just occurred to me, are you on a iOS (Mac) or Linux build?

Attachments

• JK_1.7.1.All.zip
    5,9 MB · Views: 8
Operating System is windows 10, latest build

K, on the testing build, heading out to work....gotta' love shift work :confused:

I will do a totally clean uninstall/install and do the test tomorrow morning when I get home, thx for all the hard work on trying to figure this out

I will talk to you tommorow

Well, here we go....just did a complete uninstall/reinstall

Vanilla game starts with no problems....going to make mod folder and inject Modtek 1.7.0 and restart without anything in mods folder, Modtek folder generated, saved career game loads fine.

Adding in JK's personal Mods into folder, CAB deactivated...fingers crossed...well that was a total bust....CIRCLES!!!!!!

Got a bunch of exceptions from the Melee fixes (Enforcer, Highlander, Locust….bunch more). I'm assuming that I need a CAB folder, but I'm going to wait for further instructions before I continue.

At least I feel there is progress

Attachments

• ModTek.zip
    41,9 KB · Views: 7
  • output_log.zip
    7,9 KB · Views: 6
IT'S ALIVE.....IT"S ALIVE!!!!!!!:rolleyes::D

I tried something on a whim. Beings that the above output log was showing the mechs in the Melee folder where throwing the null exceptions, I wanted to test something out

I installed the CAB, then deleted the "Melee Fixes" and the "Melee Merge" folders from the JK Campaign module...….and the game loaded!!!!

So whatever changes were made in the melee folder, that is what is hanging the game up.

Good Modtek and output logs below

Attachments

• ModTek.zip
    77,9 KB · Views: 7
  • output_log.zip
    6,3 KB · Views: 6
It's now confirmed. The Melee fixes and Melee Merge folders are the culprits

The Melee stuff in the JK Campaign Module is what was throwing the game off

I just got done setting up "my" mods folder and used the JK Variants Modules that I had downloaded form Nexus, however I deleted the Melee stuff and the game loaded fine.

@Mongo101 Thank you!

I haven't made a change in that folder since July 11th - so I am not sure why it is suddenly causing an issue :/ Most of those 'Mechs are vanilla, other than the Hollander and Whitworth.

The only other real difference I see is that you are using the full CAB rather than the single folder CAB - but I can't imagine that causing the problem

Last edited:
No need to thank me bro, happy to help.

There has got to be something the devs did with some coding that threw it all off, but at least the problem has been identified if somebody runs into the same problem.

Yea I am using the full CAB, I was using the single folder, but they don't update that one often, so I went with full CAB so I can get the patches that they do to the mechs

When this all started is when I downloaded the your new update from Nexus and I had the full CAB installed then. Something changed somewhere, just call me Capt. Obvious;), to screw the Melee's up.

Anyway if you figure it out and need a guinea pig, let me know, or if you need a guinea pig at any time, hit me up and I'll do testing for you.

Thanks!

Actually, I typically help LA out with uploading the Single Folder version - and the 3025 version sometimes lags a version or 2 behind as the updates are primarily for 'Clan' models ;)

That being said, I pinging @Mpstark (he is a genius :) ) to see if he can make sense of it. For some reason I am not getting those errors on my version. It also makes me wonder if something like cFixes would also break your game (which uses similar advanced merges).

But, once again, thank you for spotting that error, at least now I know what to look for if someone else has a similar issue. Now to figure out the cause ;)

@Mongo101 - I'm looking at my files and it does appear that the changes are taking effect.

Can you reactivate those 2 folders, delete .modtek folder, restart the game, let it circle the wagons ( :D ) and then go to this location :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\Mods\.modtek\Cache\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\chassis and get me a copy of the chassisdef_dragon_DRG-1N.json file please (along with the ModTek.log) ?

also the fiile here :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\Mods\.modtek\Database - the MetaDataDatabase.db please.

Dragon-Test.png

Last edited:
Roger that, coming up momentarily

And the wagons did circle......:(:oops::D

None , not one, of the mechs from the Melee chassisdef. were generated

The only one that showed up from the Melee fixes was the Griffin-4N

I threw in the output for @#!$ and giggles

Attachments

• chassis.zip
    71,4 KB · Views: 7
  • Database.zip
    879,7 KB · Views: 6
  • ModTek.zip
    79,4 KB · Views: 7
  • output_log.zip
    16,9 KB · Views: 7
There is no doubt what-so-ever in my mind that those two folders are the culprit

I deleted those folders and the modtek folder, restarted and the game loaded fine

Yes, it does seem to be the advanced merge feature - the Griffin 4N is adjusted in the old manner. It is likely that cFixes would cause the same issues - as we use the advanced merges there too.

Just trying to figure out why it isnt applying on your version - as it seems to work without issues for others (including my own as illustrated).

yep, definitely weird....but then again I'm not surprised

The One and Only Constant in my entire life is this that if it can happen, it will without a doubt, happen to me:(:confused::oops: