[Mod] JK_Variants 1.8.0.0 - 175+ 'Mechs and 125+ Vees, Rarity Tables, and more

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wow, that's good news.

Manually adding the individual 'Mechs was driving me nuts - as I had to check after I added every 2-3 to make sure I didn't make an error. If the campaign load grayed out or if the game hung, I had to go back, delete what I did, then reload (to make sure it worked) and then reenter the 'Mech.

Brandon's program does it all in less time than it took me to type up the post about it :p

Updated mod at : https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/18

So, now I can:
  • Concentrate on testing the vehicles in the campaign next.
  • Add the 'Mechs into stores complete and salvage (to be found in appropriate systems).
  • Add in any missed variants.
  • Continue to work on the WeaponAmmo portion of the mod.
  • Possibly add Star League variants that could be used for future missions or rare store finds on Star League worlds.
  • (ADDED) Add in optional adjusted salvage quantity file for (2) instead of (3) to help balance the 50+ Chassis added.

Anyone have any era appropriate variants that I missed?

Last edited:
Have you any thoughts on how mech assembly should be reworked wrt 50 additional chassis types, given that variants are not mutually interchangeable?

I have - and I should add that to my to-do list.

For those that might not have caught what @anonynamja is throwing out (if I understood correctly), adding these 'Mechs into the game will increase difficulty. This is because the salvage on these chassis will be incompatible with others. So the mod adds another 53 possible 'Mech salvage options that you would need to collect 3 of to complete a 'Mech.

One of the things I was going to do, is add salvage as a store item (like other salvage). This increases the change of being able to find missing pieces to make a whole.

Another idea is to mod the game to only require 2 salvage to make a complete 'Mech (to balance out nearly doubling the number of Chassis out there).

I would add these in as optional changes for those that wanted them.

Right now I have a brand new campaign going, to test out the difficulty (and 'Mechs).

I am open to other ideas - so please feel free to chime in!

Testing on vehicles in campaign continues.

Added in Rarity levels for all variants. Thinking about changing 3 of the 'stock' vehicle values to reflect the relative (to this mod) rarity (would not bother with Swiftwind as of yet).

To figure this out, I used the same sort of table as I did for the 'Mechs. Looking at the commonality on the Random Vehicle Generation tables for the chance of it coming up for each of the major house, periphery and 3 minor periphery powers. I then pulled averages for the periphery, the local region (FS, CC, FWL, TC, MoC & gen Periph). I then grouped these to match up to the Battletech rarity values.

NOTE: Per includes the general periphery and Merc company chance of seeing that variant.

Rarity-Vehicles.png

I have - and I should add that to my to-do list.

For those that might not have caught what @anonynamja is throwing out (if I understood correctly), adding these 'Mechs into the game will increase difficulty. This is because the salvage on these chassis will be incompatible with others. So the mod adds another 53 possible 'Mech salvage options that you would need to collect 3 of to complete a 'Mech.

One of the things I was going to do, is add salvage as a store item (like other salvage). This increases the change of being able to find missing pieces to make a whole.

Another idea is to mod the game to only require 2 salvage to make a complete 'Mech (to balance out nearly doubling the number of Chassis out there).

Right now I have a brand new campaign going, to test out the difficulty (and 'Mechs).

Maybe just add to stores where appropriate.

Manually adding the individual 'Mechs was driving me nuts - as I had to check after I added every 2-3 to make sure I didn't make an error. If the campaign load grayed out or if the game hung, I had to go back, delete what I did, then reload (to make sure it worked) and then reenter the 'Mech.

Anyone have any era appropriate variants that I missed?

There are a few era appropriate variants yes. I'm building a sort of companion variant mod to yours with the ones missed by this mod. Although I am including other things that are purely for use in Skirmish and out of the current timeline in single player, like the CTF-4X for example and the various one-off custom designs from CBT that will be useful for people that want to recreate scenarios described from various turning point books and what not.

I also have a few differences with yours, my LCT-3V uses a halfton machine gun box like the record sheet. The VTR-9A1 I was able to get working with Machine Gun legs again, which was also quite funny to see working in the MechLab where the MG's can be stripped from the legs and AC/2's put in their place. My JR7-A only has 1 Large Laser, etc. A Grasshopper 5N from 3040, a BJ-3, and more. Basically if I can create the variant without needing stuff like Endo, Ferro, ECM, I build it out and write the year it was introduced. If it needs a new weapon like a Binary Laser I just make it, since its simple enough to accomplish.

It's taking a while though since I'm doing everything by hand and testing a handful at a time as you were doing. It's as tedious as it was in Beta that is for sure.

After I'm done with these historical ones, I'm going to move on to non-historical like adding the rest of the Cresent Hawk upgrade variations and the stuff from Mech Commander as a separate mod.

That seems to me like treating the problem as a nail since you only have a hammer instead of really engaging with the salvage and mech assembly system at a conceptual level, to make variant/same-tonnage parts interchangeable. That would require major surgery to (at least) the AddMech code.

That seems to me like treating the problem as a nail since you only have a hammer instead of really engaging with the salvage and mech assembly system at a conceptual level, to make variant/same-tonnage parts interchangeable. That would require major surgery to (at least) the AddMech code.

More or less, yeah. I mean, I could just change it so that each 'Mech had 1 master chassis that could be kitted out to make ANY of the available variants (ex : 1 Locust Chassis and it could be configured for any of the 6 Locust variants). But that would require changing every existing 'Mech to point at the new chassis (which is not really a problem, just time consuming) and you would also run into the issue that when 3 salvage were put together, what variant would it make (as it would likely have to pick a single default 1)?

So, for now, I'm looking at how to approach it with changing the format/structure as little as possible so it is more compatible with other mods.

Maybe just add to stores where appropriate.

There are a few era appropriate variants yes. I'm building a sort of companion variant mod to yours with the ones missed by this mod. Although I am including other things that are purely for use in Skirmish and out of the current timeline in single player, like the CTF-4X for example and the various one-off custom designs from CBT that will be useful for people that want to recreate scenarios described from various turning point books and what not.

I also have a few differences with yours, my LCT-3V uses a halfton machine gun box like the record sheet. The VTR-9A1 I was able to get working with Machine Gun legs again, which was also quite funny to see working in the MechLab where the MG's can be stripped from the legs and AC/2's put in their place. My JR7-A only has 1 Large Laser, etc. A Grasshopper 5N from 3040, a BJ-3, and more. Basically if I can create the variant without needing stuff like Endo, Ferro, ECM, I build it out and write the year it was introduced. If it needs a new weapon like a Binary Laser I just make it, since its simple enough to accomplish.

It's taking a while though since I'm doing everything by hand and testing a handful at a time as you were doing. It's as tedious as it was in Beta that is for sure.

After I'm done with these historical ones, I'm going to move on to non-historical like adding the rest of the Cresent Hawk upgrade variations and the stuff from Mech Commander as a separate mod.

Ooo, tell me which ones I missed that are 3028 or prior - please :D

Yeah, I was mostly skipping the new weapon stuff, though I am starting to dip into it. And now that the mod adds in the half ton ammo, I should fix the Locust and some of the stock vehicles to use it. Had thought about adding in the BinaryLaser for the older Zeus - mind if I borrow your and credit you?

For the Jenner (JR7-A) you and I had discussed, I am still thinking it is an error on the stat sheet (much like the Griffin 4N name that should have been a 2N) - because all the source material seems to imply the 2 MLs/1 LL combo and I can't find anything else that talks about just a single LL. But that is a call based on my head cannon (no pun intended - well, maybe a little).

I also avoided leg or rear mounts, just to be consistent with the changes HBS set in 'their' take on BT.

Been thinking about adding more Star League era stuff, but having it all BlackListed - this way they are available for people to make scenarios and such not.

@GenTask - Have you had any luck with getting Vehicles to properly appear in campaign mode? So far I am not having luck, even once added to the MDD.

Testing the latest incarnation with the extra weapon variants and I've already gotten a crappy laser in salvage.... I am not sure if I am happy or not ;)

And I am only 5 missions into the Campaign and already have a PNT-9R built (after this photo)

Campaign-Panther-8Z-Laser.png

Hate to be "that guy", but I've been unable to get this mod working in my game despite carefully following your instructions. Attempting to load skirmish, the skirmish mechbay or starting a new campaign seems to throw me into the infinite loading screen. None of my campaign saves are available either.

Anybody else having this issue?

Hate to be "that guy", but I've been unable to get this mod working in my game despite carefully following your instructions. Attempting to load skirmish, the skirmish mechbay or starting a new campaign seems to throw me into the infinite loading screen. None of my campaign saves are available either.

Make certain to make the MOD or is it mods folder mentioned in the very top of the readme. I didn't the first try and had permament load screen

@Justin Kase , I have not. I'm further behind than your work. I've only tested in Skirmish at this point. Busy at the moment, but when I get home I'll detail what I've made so far.

One thing I'm still trying to work out is how to make even new variants rare to see in a mission or not at all. I'm confused if the rarity setting is just for rarity in store, or if it also governs both in-mission sightings and the store.

For example, it would be nice just for a variant like the 8Z to appear only in a specific faction store or only on worlds with the Star League trait (but also be very rare to appear in one) and not be seen in battle at all, or be seen only on specific Faction worlds with contracts.

Last edited:
@Justin Kase , I have not. I'm further behind than your work. I've only tested in Skirmish at this point. Busy at the moment, but when I get home I'll detail what I've made so far.

One thing I'm still trying to work out is how to make even new variants rare to see in a mission or not at all. I'm confused if the rarity setting is just for rarity in store, or if it also governs both in-mission sightings and the store.

To be honest, I am not sure if rarity is for appearance or store... never even thought about that.

Wonder if @Lynx7725 knows.

You are hardly the first person to have a problem - it isn't exactly turnkey.

Make sure you place the mods folder in the right place:
\\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\mods\

In that folder you would add the JK_Variants (and the optional JK_WeaponAmmo) folder(s)

Once you add that, then replace the VersionManifest.csv file.

At this point, close out all folders and files for BattleTech - then start the game. Check if they appear in the Skirmish mode.

If they did, then replace the DB file in the MDD folder and test again.

-- also, do you have any other mods added?

More or less, yeah. I mean, I could just change it so that each 'Mech had 1 master chassis that could be kitted out to make ANY of the available variants (ex : 1 Locust Chassis and it could be configured for any of the 6 Locust variants). But that would require changing every existing 'Mech to point at the new chassis (which is not really a problem, just time consuming) and you would also run into the issue that when 3 salvage were put together, what variant would it make (as it would likely have to pick a single default 1)?

That would be quite imba since a master/default chassis would need to have all the hardpoints to cater to every variant, which would exacerbate the "mech identity" issue and give much more flexibility to the player to minmax. Randomization also doesn't feel quite right either.

Which is yet another reason I didn't quite like that direction.

Easiest thing to do for now, is go into the game constants and change salvage to 2 instead of 3. Least amount of work at the moment, but hardly elegant.