[Mod] JK_Variants 1.8.0.0 - 175+ 'Mechs and 125+ Vees, Rarity Tables, and more

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hi, I'm new to modding Battletech, but have modded a few other games before. Taking a looking at how the game takes lances into random encounters and the lances take mechs that fit the tag criteria of the mechs, wouldn't mechs that you created so far just automatically work in the campaign with your mod? I see that you referenced an SQL file earlier can you tell me where that is, I am very interested to help you find out how to implement these variants into the game.

Hi, I'm new to modding Battletech, but have modded a few other games before. Taking a looking at how the game takes lances into random encounters and the lances take mechs that fit the tag criteria of the mechs, wouldn't mechs that you created so far just automatically work in the campaign with your mod? I see that you referenced an SQL file earlier can you tell me where that is, I am very interested to help you find out how to implement these variants into the game.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/mod-talk-mod-discussion-thread.1091249/
is a good thread for those sort of questions. I also recommend the Discord server, so you can chat in real time as you work.

@Fox the Apprentice has it right.

That being said, I'm playing around with the files now and seeing if I can add them in without invalidating game saves.

Not certain - but on the 'Mechs that are currently Blacklisted - that tag is the last tag in the list. So try:

"unit_mech",
"unit_heavy",
"unit_ready",
and so on ,
"BLACKLISTED"

This isn't doing it either, so it must be one of those situations where something in the campaign save must have to be edited, or start the campaign over.
:(

Which 'mech are you trying to make unavailable so I can play around on my copy?

I have both an old and new campaign in my planets tests - so, it is a good time for me to try :D

Which 'mech are you trying to make unavailable so I can play around on my copy?

I have both an old and new campaign in my planets tests - so, it is a good time for me to try :D

Hopefully this won't invite any passers by to turn it into a debate, but I cannot stand ornithoid mechs with horizontal torso's. Because reasons.
Anyway, I/ve been trying to do away with the Stalker, Catapult, Cicada and Jenner.

Sorry I missed the reply! Is it that you don't want them to appear anywhere at all, or just in OpFor or what?

Also - been working to add in some other variants that were requested - wasn't sure if they should all be part of the same mod, or broken out into a different one. I only ask, as these 'Mechs will have new dependent weapons/ammo types.

Example being the Panther 8Z with its crappy Tronel Large Laser (went with Laser - )

Panther-8Z.png

Sorry I missed the reply! Is it that you don't want them to appear anywhere at all, or just in OpFor or what?

I'd rather they don't exist, but the OpFor is really all that matters since I would never buy/use them.

I'll play around this weekend - as I am looking to add in the Variants, I should be able to do the inverse as well.

For the Panther 8Z and Jenner A, I am leaning toward having a companion mod, rather than incorporating them together - as both of these 'Mechs add new weapon categories (with their crappier lasers) - though I will defer to the group if they think it should be combined.

Jenner-JR7-A.png

For the main variants mod - finally added in the Blazing Inferno (of Crescent Hawks fame)

Commando_BlazingInferno.png

Last edited:
For the Jenner A. It should only have 1 Large Laser in the Right Torso according to the Technical Readout info and 12 HS total.

For the Prototype Jenner, which does not have a variant designation, ony a description with the LL and 2xML in a turret. I would create that as something separate and rename it JR7-P or something like that. The "A" variant is basically the refined version of the prototype that didn't see production and a bridge between the Prototype and D model.

Since a turret will require extra programming, perhaps place the Large Laser in the CT and Medium Lasers in the Arms or Side Torsos (1 per side).

My suggestion would simply be to add the 8Z, A, and P in your mod. As long as the weapons are not something that is overwritten then you should be fine. Also, you mathed the Tronel exactly the way I did for heat a couple days ago. We are of the same mind there.

@GenTask - great minds ;)

But, on the Jenner A - I don't know. I am thinking that the 3039 stat sheet might have been an error (as has happened on other stat sheets). The description in the 3039 manual doesn't say anything at all about a variant with ONLY a Large Laser.

In fact, all it mentions is the Turret Mounted LL, (2) ML early version, replaced by a model that scrapped the turret and added armor while moving MLs to the arms - which was later replaced by the Jenner with the SRM 4 (reducing the armor).

Here are the descriptions from 3025, 3025 Revised and 3039 .

The 3039 one only describes one other variant - being the F. There were other discrepancies as well. But aside from the stat sheet, I don't see anything describing the LL only variant.

Jenners.png

I'll play around this weekend - as I am looking to add in the Variants, I should be able to do the inverse as well.

I started another campaign to test this and some other things I modded and "BLACKLISTED" definitely isn't doing the job. Ran into lots of Jenners in the first few missions. I had changed rarity to 5 in chassisdef and mechdef also just to see if that would help, but they aren't blacklisted and they aren't rare.

Hope you can find a solution to adding and subtracting.:cool:

That may be true, or not. It is your mod though, so you can decide how you want it. I tried making the Prototype in Skunkwerks and it seems it is 1 ton over due to the turret mounting, unless the idea was to knock the armor down to 3 tons.

I normally refer to stat sheets first, and then if it doesn't have a stat sheet then build it logically how it is described; I.E. like the UM-R60 "Machine Gun"

That may be true, or not. It is your mod though, so you can decide how you want it. I tried making the Prototype in Skunkwerks and it seems it is 1 ton over due to the turret mounting, unless the idea was to knock the armor down to 3 tons.

I normally refer to stat sheets first, and then if it doesn't have a stat sheet then build it logically how it is described; I.E. like the UM-R60 "Machine Gun"

Sorry - wasn't shooting you down / my way or the highway stuff ;) More of a discussion, as I know there were other sheets that were incorrect from other sets. I find it hard to believe I am the only one who ever asked, so I posted it up to Sarna as well.

I can change it over easily enough to either another model name and do the A as the LL variant. I was just looking for the fluff on it (I think I've spent too much time with @Sigil ;) ).

As to the Turret, since the game didn't have anything for it, I just put it all in the RT (took the Rear /Leg weapons approach), so I didn't account for that weight - especially as the rule set it was mentioned in (way back in 3025) didn't have provisions for turrets on 'Mechs.

Speaking of Turrets...

I am in the process of fixing the Vehicle Variant files and adding them to the VersionManifest.csv.

So far, I have the following files working (as in they don't cause game saves to invalidate, and they don't hang the game, though I haven't faced any in game yet):
  • AC Carrier
  • Laser Carrier
  • Galleon 200
  • Devastator (Demolisher variant)
  • Schrek AC Carrier
  • Schrek PPC Carrier, Anti Infantry (this one is part of the weapons/ammo mod, as it relies on the Half Ton of MG ammo)

Still working on fixing my files for:
  • Bulldog AC2
  • Bulldog LRM
  • Mobile HQ LL
  • Mobile HQ LRM
  • Scorpion LRM
  • Scorpion ML
  • Scorpion SRM
  • Striker LRM
  • Striker SRM

Someone found one of my hidden jokes / Yang comments and messaged me a clipping:

Dragon1C.png

I honestly didn't think anyone would be reading them and did it for my own amusement - I wasn't even sure if it would work outside of Campaign mode and hadn't tested it myself.

Last edited:
Sorry - wasn't shooting you down / my way or the highway stuff ;) More of a discussion, as I know there were other sheets that were incorrect from other sets. I find it hard to believe I am the only one who ever asked, so I posted it up to Sarna as well.

I can change it over easily enough to either another model name and do the A as the LL variant. I was just looking for the fluff on it (I think I've spent too much time with @Sigil ;) ).

As to the Turret, since the game didn't have anything for it, I just put it all in the RT (took the Rear /Leg weapons approach), so I didn't account for that weight - especially as the rule set it was mentioned in (way back in 3025) didn't have provisions for turrets on 'Mechs.

Speaking of Turrets...

I am in the process of fixing the Vehicle Variant files and adding them to the VersionManifest.csv.

So far, I have the following files working (as in they don't cause game saves to invalidate, and they don't hang the game, though I haven't faced any in game yet):
  • AC Carrier
  • Laser Carrier
  • Galleon 200
  • Devastator (Demolisher variant)
  • Schrek AC Carrier
  • Schrek PPC Carrier, Anti Infantry (this one is part of the weapons/ammo mod, as it relies on the Half Ton of MG ammo)

Still working on fixing my files for:
  • Bulldog AC2
  • Bulldog LRM
  • Mobile HQ LL
  • Mobile HQ LRM
  • Scorpion LRM
  • Scorpion ML
  • Scorpion SRM
  • Striker LRM
  • Striker SRM

Love the AC Carrier and Schrek Autocannon in CBT. My preferred vehicles to take in a force. The sheer volume of AC sniping is amazing.

I will also be appending on an optional mod that adds in a few new weapons / ammo and the variants that use them:

Weapons:

• Tronel Large Laser (an inferior LL that generates extra heat - found on the Panther 8Z)
  • Agra Medium Laser (27C model that had issues meshing with Targeting Systesm - found on Jenner JR7-A)

Ammo:
  • Half Ton MG ammo (used on both MG Vehicle Variants)

Mechs:
  • Jenner NR7-A
  • Panther PNT-8Z

Vehicles:
  • Demolisher MG(Anti Infantry Variant - I just titled it MG to make it fit on UI better)
  • Schrek MG (Anti Infantry Variant - I just titled it MG to make it fit on UI better)

Adding that info and the other new variants added to the info post on page 1.

HGN 733C can be done without mods. Replace AC 10 with AC20, swap the two tons of ammo for ac20 ammo, remove one ton each of lrm and srm ammo.

Literaly straight from the TRO. You can make a 4 HGN lance of 732, 733, 733P and 733C.

But I look forward to the others, wants me a 6T Zeus

Yup - there are a number of these you can make by using another ChassisDef file. But, I figured I may as well add in all the era appropriate 'stock' 'Mechs as the end goal is to have them appearing in OpFor lances you face in random missions. Would add to the level of uncertainty on what 'Mech it is for each tonnage class as well.

Thanks to the work of TheRealBMathis, it is now easy to import all the 'Mechs into the game - even with an existing campaign!!

Details on his database importer can be found here : https://www.reddit.com/r/BattleTechMods/comments/8hgd0z/metadatadabasedb_import_tool_testers_wanted/

He may also be working on a way to import the Vehicles as well.

Version 1.02 of the mod is now posted on my GoogleDrive, and I am working to update the post at the Nexus mods as well.

Oh - and here is a screenshot of my in process campaign (I have not made it to the Argo yet in this campaign) with a Commando 1C appearing for the OpFor!!

Campaign-Commando-1C.png