• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Chevaresqye

General
18 Badges
Dec 19, 2012
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Introdution

This mod is my first attempt to reintroduce cross religion marriage back to CKII. It is modeled after marriage arrangement between different pagan sects. I tried my best to make my system follow the same criteria as vanilla, but due to the nature of CKII modding language, some factor might not be simulated correctly.

View attachment Interfaith Marriage.zip

External Download Link

Usage Instruction

Unlike other mod, an addition step must be done in order to use this mod. After select your character and start your game, open console command by pressing "`" or "~" if you are using a Windows keyboard. Then type "neg_diplo" without the quotation marks and press enter.

hVgigG5.png

The neg_diplo command will allow you to send marriage offer to infidel. Normally, the infidel will just send you a refusal letter. But if the infidel's opinion toward you is high enough, the refusal letter will come with an option for you to make the infidel "reconsider".
W5IXGn2.jpg

To avoid sending proposal that would be refuse, please remember these following rule:

Wall of text ahead

- A standard marriage arrangement involves 4 character: YOU, your COURTIER, the TARGET and the AI.

Zne7WQ5.png

From left to right: YOU, the COURTIER, the TARGET and the AI

• Please do NOT send proposal with a NO label to the AI having the same religion group with YOU. My mod does not interfere with such proposals, and the AI's answer is alway NO for this case. This mod, as its name states, only works with AI from different religion group.

• To marry a character in the infidel's court, the standard opinion requirement is 72. Please remember this number, because it is the base for other calculation. 72 is also the basic requirement to marry courtier tier character from infidel's court.

• If the TARGET is a close relative (parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren, siblings or self) of the AI, the prestige effect will kick in. It will compare the tier of the COURTIER and tier of the TARGET. Tier is determined by the highest title hold by close relatives of the correspondent character. If the COURTIER's father is a Count, and his brother is an Emperor, he will be considered as Emperor tier. If the TARGET's father is a King, and her brother is a Duke, she will be considered as King tier for marriage purpose.
  • The opinion requirement will reduce by 65 for every tier the COURTER is higher than the TARGET. Vice versa, the opinion requirement will increase by 65 for every tier the COURTER is lower than the TARGET,except for the first step ( if your COUTIER is lower than the TARGET two tiers, the requirement will increase by 65 NOT 130). Remember prestige effect will only apply when TARGET is a close relative of the AI.
  • If the TARGET is younger than 20 and a close relative of the AI, then the COURTIER must also be a close relative of YOU. This is how desire alliance work in Vanilla. If the TARGET is 20 or older, the AI will stop desire alliance.
  • If the TARGET is female, a close relative and pretender of AI's title, the opinion requirement is increase by 100. This factor represents "Prefer a matrilineal marriage" malus. Don't worry, it can be offset by other factors.
  • If the TARGET is female, a close relative and heir of AI's title, or TARGET and AI is the same character, then the opinion requirement will be a lot higher. I have not figured out the exact formula for this case, but the opinion requirement will increase about 10-100 based on difference in tier.
  • If a marriage might result in an alliance, relative power between YOU and AI will be considered. It compares the relative power between YOU and AI's top liege, as well as AI's strength over YOUR top liege. This mechanics is not complete, for now just remember the stronger you are, the lower the opinion requirement is. If you are weaker, the requirement will be higher.
  • If your COURTIER is female, her age and attribute (martial, stewardship, etc...) will become factors. For every attribute point she has, the requirement will reduce by 2. Example, a female COURTIER with 10 diplomacy, 5 martial, 4 stewardship, 8 intrigue, 7 learning will lower the opinion requirement by (10 + 5 + 4 + 8 + 7)*2 = 68. At the same time, the age of the female COURTIER will increase the opinion requirement. Take the age of the COURTIER and minus by 15, then multiply it by 2, the result is the extra opinion you will need to seal the marriage. If your female COURTIER is 26 years old, you will need an extra (26-15)*2 = 22 opinion from the AI.
  • If your COURTIER is female and older than 35, AI will never accept the marriage.
  • If AI is YOUR vassal, the opinion requirement will reduce by 70

Some prominent issues:

• The mod has not been thoroughly tested yet. Please report any problem that you encounter.
  • The current version only supports regular marriage. Betrothal and matrilineal marriage will be added if there is demand.
  • Since this mod need a console command in order to function, it may not work in multiplayer. I can use a different approach and create a different version for muiltiplayer and player with console command allergy, just in case.
  • I tried to simulate "Political concern" and knew that it is related to RP Friendship/RP Hostility, but exactly how it works is still a mystery for me.
  • Dynasty prestige is not used to calculate prestige effect. I do not know any feasible method to access or calculate that data.
  • My system might ignore death character when checking tier of a character.

Bla Bla Bla

My long-term goal is overhaul the vanilla marriage system, not just interfaith marriage. So please tell me how do you want to change the marriage. Either increasing historical plausibility or adding more drama to the mating game, all ideas are welcomed.

I don't know how to make my mod compatible with other mod. But this is just a mini mod, therefore integrating should be easy. For any modder found my mod would be a nice addition to their big project, please PM me. I am happy when my work is useful for someone. And please give me credit, it is my honor to be a small part of your wonderful project.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Sounds very interesting, i'll give it a look at some point (deep into modding/fixing various things currently), but overall very glad to see at least some prospect of having interfaith marriage happen in game again :)

A sneaky way of overcoming the hardcoded problem. Admirable. :)

I have to admit, I accidentally failed to notice earlier but only saw it now.
Definitely interesting concepts that could be very conducive to gameplay.
upon checking the files, there doesn't seem to be any dependence on specific religions right? so I could theoretically run this on a mod that has say 150+ religions? :laugh:

Pretty cool =D And since you were asking for suggestions. I personally would wish for a mod which puts some plausible geographic and political limits on marriage partners. As a lowly count I shouldn't be able to marry a random courtier half the world away just because she has the stats I want. As a king I should be able to marry people from across the world, but I should never be able to marry a random lowborn courtier, imo kings should only be able to marry children of dukes or higher. I know there are historical exceptions, but imo most of the time nobility married someone of similar stature from their own or a neighbouring kingdom. And just gameplaywise the marriage game would be more fun, and have a more obvious political dimension, if you were forced to chose partners from amongst your peers, rather than always being able to get a random genius courtier from the other side of Europe.

I have to admit, I accidentally failed to notice earlier but only saw it now.
Definitely interesting concepts that could be very conducive to gameplay.
upon checking the files, there doesn't seem to be any dependence on specific religions right? so I could theoretically run this on a mod that has say 150+ religions? :laugh:

Yes, you can use it for any religion.

Pretty cool =D And since you were asking for suggestions. I personally would wish for a mod which puts some plausible geographic and political limits on marriage partners. As a lowly count I shouldn't be able to marry a random courtier half the world away just because she has the stats I want. As a king I should be able to marry people from across the world, but I should never be able to marry a random lowborn courtier, imo kings should only be able to marry children of dukes or higher. I know there are historical exceptions, but imo most of the time nobility married someone of similar stature from their own or a neighbouring kingdom. And just gameplaywise the marriage game would be more fun, and have a more obvious political dimension, if you were forced to chose partners from amongst your peers, rather than always being able to get a random genius courtier from the other side of Europe.

I will do something to make ruler more reluctant to marriage lowborn from different edge of the map. Currently, I'm building a preprocessor to make my modding life easier, so the developing of this mod has been delayed a little bit.

Making this mod more user-friendly is my top priority. I am trying to inject some tooltip to let players know what makes the AI reject their proposal and how much opinion they will need for that marriage. Apparently, no one wants to read a wall of text on how to use a mod.

I would definitely try this mod in a multiplayer, because thats how i almost always play CK2. If there will ever be a possibility. Looks like a damn good work.

No. Do not take away options from me because you don't want to do that thing.
If you think your character would never marry a lowborn or a landless noble, then don't do it. But if I want to role play an Emperor that fell in love with and married the daughter of his father's steward, then so be it.

No. Do not take away options from me because you don't want to do that thing.
If you think your character would never marry a lowborn or a landless noble, then don't do it. But if I want to role play an Emperor that fell in love with and married the daughter of his father's steward, then so be it.

SWEET? FINALLY THE MARRYING AN INFIDEL MOD

CHEVARESQYE you saved my day

It's too good to be true, finally someone has done it. You are a savior, and forget to put limit. As stated above, if you don't want something than don't do it, that's all.

I can understand the theory of limitation for lowborn or the half around the world part and true it is for stats most of time.

Thanks again good job.

BUT ALSO FOR LUV MAN, ARE YOU NOT WILLING TO CROSS THE GLOBE FOR HER:rofl:

We need to be tolerant in this harsh world where you are fighting for survival of your petty kingdom everyday...

A curiosity, does the AI make use of this system? I wouldn't think so, but I guess it is better ask.

Other thing, can you post exactly what lines of the 00_opinion_modifiers.txt and on_action_events.txt you modified/added? I am kinda of a noob in modding, but I believe even me can merge this successfully into any mod as long as I know all the lines that were altered.

So how is this all going? I've been away from CKII for a while, partially due to this issue over the ban on interfaith marriage, and never got to properly try out or follow the development of this mod. Does it work, is it still being worked on and improved etc? :)

Excellent mod, my good sir. Precisely what I want. I have to request a support for both betrothal and matrilineal, as these are usually my main marriage approaches.

Thanks a lot, and will test it out.