• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Damarrocarion

Field Marshal
1 Badges
Mar 29, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
tumblr_n7flu0FK4x1r65o3qo1_500.jpg

Hello.

I have started work on another bookmark. This time it will take place between Charlemage & Old Gods, specifically at year 821 and reign of Louis the Pious. No new mechanics will be used, just updating history/title/character files. This year makes it possible to play several noteworthy characters like Babak Khorramdin or Thomas the Slav

Naturally if it means more interesting gameplay, some rulers may hold titles couple of years in advance. This means Mazyar is playable and Louis the German already holds a king title. I will be posting Dev Diaries as I progress and hopefully people can point out interesting characters and comment on borders for me.

Likewise, if I know some historical characters who operated within realm and I find no data of particular province, they might get slotted in instead of random fictional character.

GI64mXT.jpg

Thanks to:

Starwarsfan541
Omega29956

CURRENT VERSION IS AVAILABLE HERE (v.0.2)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Q&A:

Q: Why are you making this?
A: Well, my AD 935 was quite well received and I later did AD 751 (which I am was not too happy about). I still felt that there was some need for bookmark between Charlemagne.

Q: Why AD 821?
A: Charlemagne seems to divide people a lot, with main gripes being presence of big blobs and fact that Feudalism as such did had not properly formed yet. So I wanted something slightly before Old Gods but still something different from Charlie. Eventually I settled for reign of Louis the Pious after he has divided his realm and aftermath of Fourth Fitna.

Q: What you hope to achieve?
A: In game terms having a massive HRE without actual de-jure presence likely means it will crumble as happened historically. Caliphate was also recovering from Fourth Fitna which allows me to splinter Middle-East quite a lot so we do not get such a stable blob there as in Charlies start. ERE should also face rebellion quite soon and this should handle some of the most stable blobs in Charlie start, enabling smaller realms opportunity to get themselves going.

Q: How ahistorical you are?
A: As is usually the case, it depends on area. Whenever possible I try to find a historical ruler for the area or if such is not available, use a historical character like army commander as placeholder. Especially in Caliphate there are ton of names available for both but less so for landholder. Likewise, some characters may find themselves landed few years early such as with aforementioned Mazyar and Louis the German.

Last edited:
Looking Good, but how will you represent Khorramdin? Will he be Zoroastrian, Mazdaki or have his own religion and will he be landed or just a revolt?

Very interested.

Looking Good, but how will you represent Khorramdin? Will he be Zoroastrian, Mazdaki or have his own religion and will he be landed or just a revolt?

Babak will be Mazdaki and be independent with event troops as I believe autowars which depend on factions do not trigger or work.

In light of recent dev diaries, I will attempt to make him friends with Byzantines and give him sympathy for christianity to make it possible for Byzantine support.

Of course Basileos will also be friends with Bulgar khan while Thomas the Slav is friends with Caliph to enable historical clusterf..k that occurred.

Around this time Paulicians were still a force in Asia Minor (though they peaked bit later than this). Does anybody have suggestions on how to model them appropriately? Vassal count under Muslims, independent realm with event troops or just religious counties?

I'd give them a county in eastern Anatolia and a duchy title to represent their church. They should be Muslim vassals and perhaps have event troops.

Next interesing idea of new bookmark. Cool!
I'd give them a county in eastern Anatolia and a duchy title to represent their church. They should be Muslim vassals and perhaps have event troops.
I think the same. You can also give them a high military skills and sympathy for islam trait.
Are you going to make playable in your bookmark one of the mighty Paulician leader: Sergius Tychicus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergius-Tychicus or Karbeas https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karbeas , which future founded Paulician principality of Tephrike ?

Next interesing idea of new bookmark. Cool!

I think the same. You can also give them a high military skills and sympathy for islam trait.
Are you going to make playable in your bookmark one of the mighty Paulician leader: Sergius Tychicus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergius-Tychicus or Karbeas https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karbeas , which future founded Paulician principality of Tephrike ?

Sergius will be playable if there is Paulician realm (d/c of Coloneia) and Karbeas I planned to make a courtier in e_byzantium or one of the duchies in Asia Minor.

Last edited:
DEV Diary 1: Byzantium

So I started with Byzantium this time and this is how it sort of looks right now (ignore surrounding lands for now). Dalmatia, which does not show up on this picture, has been given to other realms but e_byzantium holds cities there to simulate the territory they held in the coast.

5y69fXZ.jpg

Ruler of ERE is a recently crowned Michael Amorios, whose attributes are quite good though Stutter was added to history files. Naturally Bulgarian ruler was made his friend so it is possible that he comes to interfere during possible rebellion. Babak Khorramdin is also emperors friend as Khurramites received help from empire.

8ijLamb.jpg

As we know, Michael was soon fighting over his throne against Thomas the Slav, who in this case is Armenian by culture with dynasty name given after his place of birth. His religion has been made non-orthodox heresy so as not to immediately face revocation of his titles by emperor. Moreover, he was not iconoclast as such and was crowned in Antioch by blessing of the Caliph, Monophysite seems good enough choice here (historically Monophysites and Muslims apparently liked each other too due to mainstream Christianity being too "polytheistic")

Technically he should be holding land as count-level ruler under d_anatolia but he was made holder of d_charsianon to make the rebellion more likely.

4bmXcpu.jpg

While not strictly Byzantium, I have also added small Paulician state to eastern Asia Minor led by Sergius-Tychius.

8k4PdIS.jpg

Some other historical characters will be in Byzantium too such as Karbeas, though he is mere courtier. Euphemius, whose actions started Muslim conquest of Sicily also holds land there. There is also one castrated landed member of Rangabes dynasty holding land in Aegean, with a juvenile son for those who wish to reclaim the throne for that dynasty.

Couple of Slavs also hold land in southern Peloponnes to simulate rebellion which occurred sometime after this start date.

That's about all for now, feel free to comment and give suggestions.

EDIT: In latest version Amalfi, Neapolis have been made tributaries as Byzantine control of the area was somewhat questionable at this time.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I decided to give Louis HRE instead of Francia after all for this MOD. I managed to get some of it done today but since HRE is awfully big, it will take a while to code it all.

I am still doing HRE. Will post dev diary when it is done (next weekend I should have time to much stuff done, right now I am working on k_italy). Reason I gave Louis HRE in this start is because there is no existing de-jure for it so it should make HRE much more unstable and prone to collapse as happened in history.

Meanwhile, here is a screenshot of Denmark and Harald Klak so it's not all barren wasteland when it comes to content :D

(it's kingdom level, ahistorical I know, to represent it was being governed by Harald and Horik/his brother with cross-claims all around which likely results in Harald getting into conflict with Horik.)

Attachments

• 2016-01-11_00001.jpg
    2016-01-11_00001.jpg
    546,1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited: