• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
For me it's an essential addon and one reason, among many others, is that the Invictus team did enlarge the map :)
They could have made several mods. One like vanilla games patch. An add content to the base games. and a last one where he increases the card. A last one could have grouped the changes in Germany and Spain. If they had done that it would have allowed players to just take what they want. For me increasing the map is a dead end until the tag limit issue is resolved. And since paradox doesn't seem to decide to come back to us, it's dead.

Reactions:
They could have made several mods. One like vanilla games patch. An add content to the base games. and a last one where he increases the card. A last one could have grouped the changes in Germany and Spain. If they had done that it would have allowed players to just take what they want. For me increasing the map is a dead end until the tag limit issue is resolved. And since paradox doesn't seem to decide to come back to us, it's dead.
You should not hit the tag limit ever until after the enddate, and i've taken more measures to reduce unneeded tag generation. Invictus should not hit the taglimit next version any sooner than vanilla does.

Reactions:
You should not hit the tag limit ever until after the enddate, and i've taken more measures to reduce unneeded tag generation. Invictus should not hit the taglimit next version any sooner than vanilla does.
Yes by raising the threshold for civil wars. By increasing the fragmentation threshold of tribal nations. I too can make the game turn 1000 years if I break everything that puts salt in the game.

Reactions:
So I just started my first game with the mod, I’m only ~15 years in so far, but I must say I am very impressed already. I only had like 30 hours IR, but nonetheless the AI seems to be a lot better. For one thing, (smaller) allied AI armies seem to draw towards my field battles like they should! Such armies seemed very detached to my own in vanilla. They seem useful now.

Another thing I noticed (small sample size TBF) were the Etruscan’s attacking and absorbing the Umbrians right around the time I was attacking south. It’s nice to see a rival blobbing and expanding the way that I would if I were playing as them.

One likely bug I noticed was one of the “approach the Greeks” events had the “failure option” of the Greek city state becoming a subject of the huge Indian Empire whose name starts with the letter M(sorry not at my house atm to give specifics.)

Im looking forward to the campaign!

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Yes by raising the threshold for civil wars. By increasing the fragmentation threshold of tribal nations. I too can make the game turn 1000 years if I break everything that puts salt in the game.
Raising the treshold only for the smallest tags as they are otherwise pretty likely to get stuck in this eternal civil war, and we're not increasing the treshold of fragmentation, just changing the fragmentation to form both a challenge to neighbouring states and more interesting states post-collapse. All of these make the game harder for the player (completely ignoring the regional rebellion mechanic we added and are expanding next update which should give players plenty of salt).

• 5Like
Reactions:
So I have an engineer cohort in my legion, but while besieging an enemy fortress the “engineer cohorts” readout in the provincial siege window lists 0. Is this WAD? It’s only 475 btw, so idk if it’s a lack of tech.

So I have an engineer cohort in my legion, but while besieging an enemy fortress the “engineer cohorts” readout in the provincial siege window lists 0. Is this WAD? It’s only 475 btw, so idk if it’s a lack of tech.
AFAIK, you need more than one engineer to get a bonus at all - how many depends on the fort lvl, as the calculation of the bonus goes:

number of engineers in sieging army / (level of fort under siege + 1)

Fractions are lost, so even a single fort lvl would mean a minimum of two engineers for a bonus.

For the engineers as well: To get the bonus from no penalty from river crossings, you need 1 engineer for every 10 units

Reactions:
AFAIK, you need more than one engineer to get a bonus at all - how many depends on the fort lvl, as the calculation of the bonus goes:

number of engineers in sieging army / (level of fort under siege + 1)

Fractions are lost, so even a single fort lvl would mean a minimum of two engineers for a bonus.

For the engineers as well: To get the bonus from no penalty from river crossings, you need 1 engineer for every 10 units
Awesome thanks guys, I cheaped out with a single cohort, makes sense.

Invictus praise from Johan:

If the main game's creators attests this mod DLC quality content I think thats quite an ennobling predicate :)

• 8Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
What's a good nation to play with Invictus just as now?

So far, I've played Rome and Epirus (>different iterations up to the hellenistic empire) in vanilla, and Venetia (>Armorica) and Carthage with Invictus. I'm tempted to try Rome again to see what more the mod has to offer, but I fear the challenge would not be much.

So, what are your favourite countries to play with?

Also, @Snowlet, do you have any idea when the next patch will be issued
The Antigonid kingdom, although it seems that it is at the peak of its greatest potential, you can achieve it by breaking it and restoring Macedonia (as a mission request), if what you want is a small nation, Thebes is a good option.

DD69: Illyric, Agamic, Vedic and Ajivik
Dev Diary 69: Illyric, Agamic, Vedic and Ajivik

Salvete!
Today Izn will be presenting his first Dev Diary, but it’s a big one, it includes 3 new religions, Illyric, Agamic and Ajivika and plenty of new deities. First though, an announcement, the Bronze Age reborn 2.5 version of the mod is out containing a lot of new content, go check it out: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2448788091 (patch notes can be found in the Steam changelogs)

Now onto the map changes as presented by Izn.

Hi hi! I’m Izn, also known as LinkLuver. I’m only 2 months into modding in general. I made a mod adding deities and immediately got told it could be useful in Invictus and was invited to the team. It’s been an incredible honor to join the Invictus team and I hope you’ll enjoy all the stuff I’ve worked on. Speaking of the stuff I’ve worked on, let me tell you about some of my latest work.

From the ports of Istria in the north, past the mountains into Pannonia in the east, straddling the rugged coastline of the Adriatic in the west, and clashing with the Hellenic world in Macedonia to the south, the Illyric religion flourishes.
6Dn6mypn9AmU_dz6RQ6y-UTh9P1Q_1KmkRktjSBzlcdrufxte7tGZuUVauYuK9C0ctJASAe0_k-TX0wb6SysOHml7djdYHOOuBowWV_Anpy4IoHiQmqcO9kmHc5Y3DVRSzAvlkJZUThlfSnM6eklSw4

What a pretty color if I do say so myself! Very distinct from Druidic, very distinct from Hellenic, man, it’d be nice if the culture’s color was as distinct as the relig-oh wait it is.
SdeLdLfXYjX3JOuA1lQIFpP9HZB15NQ4pNPfobuukRaPqsMILJX844lVI-flfzRYWhPSUkcB925zoyT47drkJV-QDhM9byTj8gP_gyT1kVEpOelOZTfUvPLRU7zMYZ0JDUOjdJQ4dzfJC76vYPEqa34
Anyways, with that aside, let me tell you about what Illyric is. Illyric is based on the beliefs of the Illyrians (go figure). While the religion itself has very little centralization and even lacks a shared cosmology, the Illyrians still had a distinct pantheon and religion from Hellenic. To reflect this, decentralization though, Illyrics will have the option of one of three cults to follow.

Historically, the Northern Illyrians were famous for their Cult of the Sun. The Southern Illyrians were instead associated most with the Cult of the Serpent. Finally, across Illyrian lands, there was widespread worship of a newer cult, the Cult of the Thracian Horseman. In game, this will be represented by a choice of one of these cults with a system very similar to the Hindu personal deity decision. Choose the Sun, and you will receive religious buffs. Choose the Serpent and you will receive fertility buffs. And choose the Thracian Horseman, and you will receive cavalry buffs. The buffs aren’t the only things to take into account when selecting a cult. Keep an eye out for both good and bad events associated with your choice of cult.

Oh dear Tadenus! I almost forgot, it’s time to talk about the deities! Deities are my specialty, so let me quickly go over all the deities available to Illyrics. I’ve notated every brand new deity with an asterisk. Any without one were previously in the game as Hellenic-Illyrian.

War
Armatus, Bindus, and Enji* will be available to all Illyric followers. Meanwhile, Melosocus and Iria* will be exclusive to Histrians and Iapodians. So, in total, 5 war deities.

Culture
The culture deities available to everyone are Tadenus, Deipatros, Sentona,* Nebres,* and Taotor.* That makes 5, plus don’t forget Dualos,* available to Paeonians; and Histria, available to Histrians (go figure) as well as Iapodians.

Fertility
Alright, next we have the deities most associated with the number of this Dev Diary. Thana, Anzotica, Dracon dhe Dracaena, Ica, Damatira,* and Eia!* Eia is limited to Histrians, Iapodians, and Dalmations too, while the rest are here for all. That’s 6 right there.

Economy
Phew, running out of breath here. Economy deities include Latra, Vidasus, Redon,* Aecorna,* Boria,* Trita,* and Andinus.* Aecorna is for Pannonians and Catarians only; Boria is exclusive to Histrians, Iapodians, Liburnians; Trita is the same as Boria but also includes Dalmatians, and Andinus is solely for Dardanians and Deraemestians! And that’s 7 deities.

So! Illyric has 23 deities available to them, you might assume. Well actually, you’re half right. Illyric has 23 deities in its religion, but Illyric will actually get access to one more brand new deity. Medaurus from the Zalmoxian faith will be available to all Illyric followers. Medaurus is a special deity for Illyric as he became synonymous with Illyrian religion after the Roman invasions. So, Medaurus will stay with the Thracian’s and their Zalmoxian faith primarily, however if you’re playing as the Illyric faith, you will still have access to him. If you were wondering, he’s also very related to the Cult of the Thracian Horseman. Now, that’s all right? No more deity talk.

Well, you may have noticed that there’s one Illyrian culture that’s already gone through the Hellenization process.
juj11k60luteJ17otVkkOjmN4sLcpLIUQXJ_5TE211GRHIdJ91CWZmvr7JXoqmgPRNhUsDKtc-dgjJjbG6USlp5YlmHziCJ7tw15anK_tTWy4qsxNlYCK__9PWpERZbHO0IOAdH9XByoqhed9LbilMY

The Messapians, the Illyrians of Italy. They will retain their unique deities within the Hellenic faith of Zis, Damater, and Aphrodite Lahona, but in addition to that, I’ve given them a few more. Athana will be available to them, and any Illyrian culture that converts to Hellenic. And too will they receive Illyrius, a rare deity with the same conditions. Illyrius is a bit special as he was the Greek god of the Illyrians, and represented the explanation to the Greeks of where the Illyrians came from. In addition to those two, Messapians will also always have access to Taotor and Damatira, two Illyric gods who were believed primarily by the Messapians.

Now, time for the other major project I’ve been working on. Keep in mind that this is much less complete than Illyric because of the complexity of this region. This region is very misunderstood by the game at the moment. While it is divided among different culture groups, it is swallowed by a catchall religion of the region for the most part. It’s the land of a thousand languages, spices, and elephants, it’s India! Here’s the before and after.
nIhiSwu5k8KcueEPRcdn5YKuYDu98Qx5pomlwMWvjcahoFJz1XjdCO8PB5pBlrCuIK3SATQfb2I95wcQ9JHEhtafqFewtmGHNZRbm7CLpp4Bbr9J5ihIiIlm9w2z1OrFRW_CS3qbHNS4XDEcLyjjtAQ

JmYUnzJUu-5_nMtJ-6TnFHrGuh_qkkKW2aC3JBuWg6tkWBIQ5nFCTclpinXbz9E3j6NUH0AVYOGYVsGYqRh04fT1Ph_E62XPw2ODGB1ydL3JpzrjNUAKXA7-uDDjsRZ5MVcKQO8W7GZTTKm4TWJvr2E

A lot to talk about here. First, let's talk about the War Elephant in the room. Hinduism is gone! Kind of. Hinduism still exists, it’s just split into two. Historically, (and in fact, to this day to an extent) Hinduism wasn’t a single religion at all. The concept of Hinduism as one religion really gained traction as a concept during Indian Independence movements in the 20th century and through centuries of rivalry with Islam. Hinduism is more so a series of religions that interacted and influenced each other rather than a single religion. In Imperator Rome’s time period, these religions were even more separate. You’ll also notice some bright green dots sprinkled in there. Let’s get into the changes you see above now.

Vedic religion represents what is most commonly thought of when you talk about Hinduism, or Vedic Hinduism. For gameplay purposes, they will pretty much be exactly the same as Hinduism from before, just with a name change and deity changes. I’ve also reworked holy sites for Vedic. While I’m here, I’ll also mention I’ve added Agni for Vedic.

Agamic represents the Dravidic religion, of course, and is by far the biggest new addition to the region. The Agamic religion used to be very widespread in pre-Indo-Aryan periods, but with the settlement of the Indo-Aryans, Agamic has been reduced to primarily the Deccan plateau and Dravidian nations. Even the island of Sri Lanka is almost entirely Vedic at this point. Yet Agamic would persevere to this day as non-Vedic Hinduism. You’ll find that many previously Hindu deities will go over to Agamic instead, especially the Dravidian exclusive ones. Despite the difference of Agamic and Vedic, by this period there were also some shared deities. This will be reflected by some deities being available to both Agamic and Vedic, with the origin of the deity being the determiner of which pantheon it belongs to.

I should also mention the second largest difference in this map, the spread of the Sramanic religions of Buddhism, Jainism, and of course, the new Ajivika.

Jainism will be spread a little more in Dravidian lands, mainly as minority pops, a province or two on the Eastern coast, and many provinces in the Indus Delta and East Magadha. While there are a lot more Jainist pops, they’re again, minority pops, so you won’t see them much in the screenshot, however, this should give Jain a better shot against its rivals than before. Here’s a screenshot of Jain spread in Dravidian lands as it’s one of the few places that’s been finished with minorities.
InJy3bG2pb9rEo8Da-1QoEj-HXDuObzyD8XPrgK4KofhP7ivVY3j7SMdsDqd77J8tsJ_K821VaIswkd_ZioAJBSUP91lbp7heXLX9_19U-qohtK1j35TrsyTDVuZccwOTrrpVgkCIGc5pmVvKEQw6jI

Buddhism will be much more thickly coated in the Delta and primarily in Kalinga and Bengal regions. As a general rule, Sramanic religions in North India are in the East or West, and Vedic remains even more dominant in the center. Notably, Buddhism will receive a nation heralding Buddhism as its state religion: Kalinga.

Now for Ajivika, the other new religion of the subcontinent. Ajivika was another Sramanic religion like Buddhism and Jainism. One of the biggest differences was the belief of Niyati, or, fate. This means that Ajivika followers did not believe in concepts such as Karma. Ajivika by this point is still very influential and relevant, but it's quickly being overtaken by Buddhism and Jainism. That said, Ajivika is still in a position to overtake Jain and Buddhism. It’s not unrealistic at all to imagine a world where it replaces Buddhism entirely. To reflect this, Ajivika will be widespread as a minority religion. It’s primarily going to be found in North India, including the Indus Delta but not downstream of the Indus. There will also be hotspots in the center of India with a new tag that embraces Ajivika as its state religion. It’s in a very precarious situation and players looking for a challenge of reinstating a niche religion have a fun choice in Vidarbha.
_V7wF2slUZm_XiQeEABfoj1CVac5G7jPRNJXb0vkyTYX3-40-_mygWgA9Ul57RcKyhnVobHClvGtu3PihVGFANzfMztyo4h3ECP2pBbwbECt1thzLyRWN2GAcK76LpBWjCpz3KPm5ntzHuJrkvXvqzo

This is such a massive change to the Indian region, and there’s so much more work to be done for the region’s religions, but what I’m showing you is from the first three days of work on it. As such, I can’t tell you much more about the deities, events, flavor, and other stuff that simply hasn’t been thought about quite yet. Nonetheless, India is definitely worth trying out if you haven’t in a while and there’s more to come! Before I move on, huge shoutouts to the amazing Dementive and Shocky, both of whom helped me immensely with figuring out the new Indian religions, supported and suggested for me to add them, and helped me map their spread. And shoutout to Omega as well, who helped me with resources and research for many of the other religions I’ve worked on.

Now then, time to talk about deities again. I will quickly mention that there is a special Greek deity for Greco-Indians only. I want to share more deities with you, but the Indian content I’ve just talked about is hardly 2 or 3 days old, and deities have not been worked on yet. With that out of the way, I will be taking you on a tour of the world and generally the deities and holy sites I’ve added!
Ty13rFkr_8ctOxPefvQEZl6x9gR4H4aEtZ0y-h-QNUShkecqPbij6ci_-w37YqZLrOwYWqI2jiyseg44pVZy1MEBCu0vvjeHxVwtTjHblj4UxMQ5fgFxUjnOvrUOE8vRniYsVu9pFTpO-gTgeFF0E6g

Welcome to the lands of the Nile, my favorite region of all. The Upper Nile was home to many deities that were either never worshiped downstream, were much less relevant, or simply weren’t worshiped anymore. While it’s too much of a stretch to provide a whole new Kushitic religion, they will have access to a half dozen exclusive gods and holy sites accompanying said gods. Don’t worry if you’re prefer sailing downstream, there’s more than a dozen new deities available to all Kemetic believers, and they have new holy sites too! There’s also a small Easter egg deity somewhere here. Kudos to anyone who finds them.
3vn1qvHPJE0KiNo6R4fED-K3AMgVmA4oSYmzyD3TG2Nsx3jhy51wEogli5R_CA4hBSbqetV4NsVm5WUlLiGMhI9m2xSFWTrLYQMZqIS2nUkX4VTzcwiNHeFMy9pK9NXC3rTZEhLlNFY0zBmyw0VIPVc

Speaking of new holy sites, how about Bon? Check out the plethora of new holy sites, 7 new ones to be exact. Oh, by Tonpa Shenrab, that means every deity in Bon has a holy site… well we can’t have that! How about doubling the number of deities for them then! 8 new deities for Bon it is.

BrEJaRmyR8XrJu0Aweq94lnbNimv0cIoGMHPr3Fb73cklBcICcqqj7kFpM1k032Vl2Oi4CHsE3yfxiJRPGoWPtGZSA3O7fOw277R2hxPpp7VCQGybteVxUDhBSqhirWOS-MuFRu0fdjMmTAcR_KBS0U
How about Anatolia and their religion of the great goddess Cybele? Yep, 7 more deities, more holy sites. If you’re a Greek culture who converts to Cybelene, you might have access to a few more deities too.

LN_mtM63c2OtruRyj8MucQsShLVNnoQpNuM1OYPaqW9hEkNn2jnuzF7n5WbCC0iZLZvgcSfrjbsFBoXBsyvbenZgHOMbYqBAFx6kiwUqF2WjK6Fq8eezq7FDQUdOXTd2IUtVYsYb-C96t24f73Y3s8Y

Perhaps the lands of Canaan are more your fancy? Well, here’s some new holy sites for the Levant. You’ll find plenty of new deities as well; there’s more than a dozen new deities for you to try, including some available for Canaanite follows across the Mediterranean.

rECSVS6OLY4X7g2TOHRwUfMVGFUhC2-UGvBjUUMLmgD1aRWlGgT7OqV4x9WMz88PyYKmaOHh_Ac4XVu42wyw9hAvo3T_yq93M0UWEXcnFrN29H2yhgdjpkPA0PfQ9dmDvb_JW5BrO-fMdFy8TBdYA5U
nirpeLE_MD0fatH7ulml3-ssKgeP9jwvxZXTOYA-O3_XdGlCektPnQ5fEpHHtotpJk9xVA2oAnFHX1NFBm2FckEQghrk5Kn7GOi8LfqAYIf3RLaSXaNK_8aDy8Uydeq5EgKmLMRTJWmtQrLuVrAZfv0

Or maybe Africa? Sure, why not. 9 new deities for Megalithic, along with around 10 new holy sites, of course. Megalithic is filled with primordial origins for many gods. From Moneiba to Antinus, there’s a wide variety of gods to select from over the massive expanse Megalithic covers.

9O47B_kpdtoDb1xQ7SL2YqEUa8-kxiBu1MqtXU4Rx_GdZVsC1YJKMeuypTjc-7Mg0OeiiLQNrFKHyS-EQHI3fhSMsxyWfAOPEYm-1OxAN3x_Wh0v_7X28Pa5mK3RhJxg9aqvkxTQ_xIUsiMwzvTmR80

Ah, a Europe enjoyer I see. Well, here’re 2 new holy sites for Tuistic accompanied by 9 new Tuistic deities too! Hopefully those who prefer Norse will read the descriptions and learn about the Germanic origins of said Norse gods.

cLgUNs-1t1DH__K7qFZGSjyLjnvT2ZM_HmPqwrXICUlTObToWYwCALqFYZCTuuqGL3uuDlYql9Cv7-7xgYPQdtpw95HR2jncpEab9OvyT6qKfu17EiRXQKKGpBJfyNWGTguvApWGc7NoJOaL-zV6msE

Perhaps you prefer the weather to the south, in the land of Iberia and their religion of Mari. That’s fine, you have the 8 new Marite deities and 3 new holy sites to play with in their unique religion.
HJB4VhRQCCFk1oDXjHjwSGJaoTD9895s30WMAe9Bm0vm7NweSCVNyIlKPVPZ2XwkNIGE7SCLbgYe783Erl4_j2gJKVqmbpf8gPh9x8ubdzr2f45Udjp6AGX2Ixl0Zgc1tvKCRHjVYn7_WDp6XXszbgA

Of course, I’ve mentioned the Illyrians plenty. Here are 7 of their holy sites, though more to come. And to the west, with two new holy sites (more to come hopefully), the lands of the mighty Zalmoxis have 5 new deities to play with too.

U2SX8PtFXlxQsMuN8g5fkLu2dIEZeJqXVqp3kl0rkDODmA0-bLU338-T9WAYkGqbi0ux4DQ8f1NIg8JbgJM6eq1k0VaciNtGp3KDUbwAiqJ6UuLn-EimTEJ3amNeUWEPUTSyfZRxuMbFmy6odRv4Ido
Let’s slide to the steppe and see the Scythians and Sakans with a small surprise! No new holy sites, but you do get 2 new deities.
jvuqFg8TbqO83VzL7soI72wdg9T_YnGzSa7Ap2aWWjX5aTf8O5MvsgQ29_Pi-KoCGO6Jd6r0wv3i4KON4WFpDxBPdELRJqE2xyySE_XOuFhunezoH0WsCWKUFrh72V2coO-RtbHdZOcdPKtH1AI2QxM
Holy Ishtar! How could anyone forget the legendary pantheon of the Mesopotamians, one of the most well documented and interesting ancient religion?! Not me, that's for sure. Enjoy a dozen new holy sites, and more than 20 new deities! There might even be some more hidden deities from long gone cities to rediscover.

As you can see, this is a ton of deities. Way too many to go over individually. I hope you take notice of the minor changes like new localizations for names, new descriptions, and changed holy sites, but also some major changes like new modifiers, new types of deity conditions, and more.

Thank you for reading. I’m so excited to continue working on religion and deities in the future. I hope you’ll enjoy the more than 100 new deities across the map, 3 whole new religions, and any future content I get to be a part of!

• 34Like
  • 21Love
Reactions:
Absolutely, 100%, awesome!

Really looking forward these additional deities to the game.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Who are the blue spots around the Indus?

Dev Diary 69: Illyric, Agamic, Vedic and Ajivik

Salvete!
Today Izn will be presenting his first Dev Diary, but it’s a big one, it includes 3 new religions, Illyric, Agamic and Ajivika and plenty of new deities. First though, an announcement, the Bronze Age reborn 2.5 version of the mod is out containing a lot of new content, go check it out: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2448788091 (patch notes can be found in the Steam changelogs)

Now onto the map changes as presented by Izn.

Hi hi! I’m Izn, also known as LinkLuver. I’m only 2 months into modding in general. I made a mod adding deities and immediately got told it could be useful in Invictus and was invited to the team. It’s been an incredible honor to join the Invictus team and I hope you’ll enjoy all the stuff I’ve worked on. Speaking of the stuff I’ve worked on, let me tell you about some of my latest work.

From the ports of Istria in the north, past the mountains into Pannonia in the east, straddling the rugged coastline of the Adriatic in the west, and clashing with the Hellenic world in Macedonia to the south, the Illyric religion flourishes.
6Dn6mypn9AmU_dz6RQ6y-UTh9P1Q_1KmkRktjSBzlcdrufxte7tGZuUVauYuK9C0ctJASAe0_k-TX0wb6SysOHml7djdYHOOuBowWV_Anpy4IoHiQmqcO9kmHc5Y3DVRSzAvlkJZUThlfSnM6eklSw4

What a pretty color if I do say so myself! Very distinct from Druidic, very distinct from Hellenic, man, it’d be nice if the culture’s color was as distinct as the relig-oh wait it is.
SdeLdLfXYjX3JOuA1lQIFpP9HZB15NQ4pNPfobuukRaPqsMILJX844lVI-flfzRYWhPSUkcB925zoyT47drkJV-QDhM9byTj8gP_gyT1kVEpOelOZTfUvPLRU7zMYZ0JDUOjdJQ4dzfJC76vYPEqa34
Anyways, with that aside, let me tell you about what Illyric is. Illyric is based on the beliefs of the Illyrians (go figure). While the religion itself has very little centralization and even lacks a shared cosmology, the Illyrians still had a distinct pantheon and religion from Hellenic. To reflect this, decentralization though, Illyrics will have the option of one of three cults to follow.

Historically, the Northern Illyrians were famous for their Cult of the Sun. The Southern Illyrians were instead associated most with the Cult of the Serpent. Finally, across Illyrian lands, there was widespread worship of a newer cult, the Cult of the Thracian Horseman. In game, this will be represented by a choice of one of these cults with a system very similar to the Hindu personal deity decision. Choose the Sun, and you will receive religious buffs. Choose the Serpent and you will receive fertility buffs. And choose the Thracian Horseman, and you will receive cavalry buffs. The buffs aren’t the only things to take into account when selecting a cult. Keep an eye out for both good and bad events associated with your choice of cult.

Oh dear Tadenus! I almost forgot, it’s time to talk about the deities! Deities are my specialty, so let me quickly go over all the deities available to Illyrics. I’ve notated every brand new deity with an asterisk. Any without one were previously in the game as Hellenic-Illyrian.

War
Armatus, Bindus, and Enji* will be available to all Illyric followers. Meanwhile, Melosocus and Iria* will be exclusive to Histrians and Iapodians. So, in total, 5 war deities.

Culture
The culture deities available to everyone are Tadenus, Deipatros, Sentona,* Nebres,* and Taotor.* That makes 5, plus don’t forget Dualos,* available to Paeonians; and Histria, available to Histrians (go figure) as well as Iapodians.

Fertility
Alright, next we have the deities most associated with the number of this Dev Diary. Thana, Anzotica, Dracon dhe Dracaena, Ica, Damatira,* and Eia!* Eia is limited to Histrians, Iapodians, and Dalmations too, while the rest are here for all. That’s 6 right there.

Economy
Phew, running out of breath here. Economy deities include Latra, Vidasus, Redon,* Aecorna,* Boria,* Trita,* and Andinus.* Aecorna is for Pannonians and Catarians only; Boria is exclusive to Histrians, Iapodians, Liburnians; Trita is the same as Boria but also includes Dalmatians, and Andinus is solely for Dardanians and Deraemestians! And that’s 7 deities.

So! Illyric has 23 deities available to them, you might assume. Well actually, you’re half right. Illyric has 23 deities in its religion, but Illyric will actually get access to one more brand new deity. Medaurus from the Zalmoxian faith will be available to all Illyric followers. Medaurus is a special deity for Illyric as he became synonymous with Illyrian religion after the Roman invasions. So, Medaurus will stay with the Thracian’s and their Zalmoxian faith primarily, however if you’re playing as the Illyric faith, you will still have access to him. If you were wondering, he’s also very related to the Cult of the Thracian Horseman. Now, that’s all right? No more deity talk.

Well, you may have noticed that there’s one Illyrian culture that’s already gone through the Hellenization process.
juj11k60luteJ17otVkkOjmN4sLcpLIUQXJ_5TE211GRHIdJ91CWZmvr7JXoqmgPRNhUsDKtc-dgjJjbG6USlp5YlmHziCJ7tw15anK_tTWy4qsxNlYCK__9PWpERZbHO0IOAdH9XByoqhed9LbilMY

The Messapians, the Illyrians of Italy. They will retain their unique deities within the Hellenic faith of Zis, Damater, and Aphrodite Lahona, but in addition to that, I’ve given them a few more. Athana will be available to them, and any Illyrian culture that converts to Hellenic. And too will they receive Illyrius, a rare deity with the same conditions. Illyrius is a bit special as he was the Greek god of the Illyrians, and represented the explanation to the Greeks of where the Illyrians came from. In addition to those two, Messapians will also always have access to Taotor and Damatira, two Illyric gods who were believed primarily by the Messapians.

Now, time for the other major project I’ve been working on. Keep in mind that this is much less complete than Illyric because of the complexity of this region. This region is very misunderstood by the game at the moment. While it is divided among different culture groups, it is swallowed by a catchall religion of the region for the most part. It’s the land of a thousand languages, spices, and elephants, it’s India! Here’s the before and after.
nIhiSwu5k8KcueEPRcdn5YKuYDu98Qx5pomlwMWvjcahoFJz1XjdCO8PB5pBlrCuIK3SATQfb2I95wcQ9JHEhtafqFewtmGHNZRbm7CLpp4Bbr9J5ihIiIlm9w2z1OrFRW_CS3qbHNS4XDEcLyjjtAQ

JmYUnzJUu-5_nMtJ-6TnFHrGuh_qkkKW2aC3JBuWg6tkWBIQ5nFCTclpinXbz9E3j6NUH0AVYOGYVsGYqRh04fT1Ph_E62XPw2ODGB1ydL3JpzrjNUAKXA7-uDDjsRZ5MVcKQO8W7GZTTKm4TWJvr2E

A lot to talk about here. First, let's talk about the War Elephant in the room. Hinduism is gone! Kind of. Hinduism still exists, it’s just split into two. Historically, (and in fact, to this day to an extent) Hinduism wasn’t a single religion at all. The concept of Hinduism as one religion really gained traction as a concept during Indian Independence movements in the 20th century and through centuries of rivalry with Islam. Hinduism is more so a series of religions that interacted and influenced each other rather than a single religion. In Imperator Rome’s time period, these religions were even more separate. You’ll also notice some bright green dots sprinkled in there. Let’s get into the changes you see above now.

Vedic religion represents what is most commonly thought of when you talk about Hinduism, or Vedic Hinduism. For gameplay purposes, they will pretty much be exactly the same as Hinduism from before, just with a name change and deity changes. I’ve also reworked holy sites for Vedic. While I’m here, I’ll also mention I’ve added Agni for Vedic.

Agamic represents the Dravidic religion, of course, and is by far the biggest new addition to the region. The Agamic religion used to be very widespread in pre-Indo-Aryan periods, but with the settlement of the Indo-Aryans, Agamic has been reduced to primarily the Deccan plateau and Dravidian nations. Even the island of Sri Lanka is almost entirely Vedic at this point. Yet Agamic would persevere to this day as non-Vedic Hinduism. You’ll find that many previously Hindu deities will go over to Agamic instead, especially the Dravidian exclusive ones. Despite the difference of Agamic and Vedic, by this period there were also some shared deities. This will be reflected by some deities being available to both Agamic and Vedic, with the origin of the deity being the determiner of which pantheon it belongs to.

I should also mention the second largest difference in this map, the spread of the Sramanic religions of Buddhism, Jainism, and of course, the new Ajivika.

Jainism will be spread a little more in Dravidian lands, mainly as minority pops, a province or two on the Eastern coast, and many provinces in the Indus Delta and East Magadha. While there are a lot more Jainist pops, they’re again, minority pops, so you won’t see them much in the screenshot, however, this should give Jain a better shot against its rivals than before. Here’s a screenshot of Jain spread in Dravidian lands as it’s one of the few places that’s been finished with minorities.
InJy3bG2pb9rEo8Da-1QoEj-HXDuObzyD8XPrgK4KofhP7ivVY3j7SMdsDqd77J8tsJ_K821VaIswkd_ZioAJBSUP91lbp7heXLX9_19U-qohtK1j35TrsyTDVuZccwOTrrpVgkCIGc5pmVvKEQw6jI

Buddhism will be much more thickly coated in the Delta and primarily in Kalinga and Bengal regions. As a general rule, Sramanic religions in North India are in the East or West, and Vedic remains even more dominant in the center. Notably, Buddhism will receive a nation heralding Buddhism as its state religion: Kalinga.

Now for Ajivika, the other new religion of the subcontinent. Ajivika was another Sramanic religion like Buddhism and Jainism. One of the biggest differences was the belief of Niyati, or, fate. This means that Ajivika followers did not believe in concepts such as Karma. Ajivika by this point is still very influential and relevant, but it's quickly being overtaken by Buddhism and Jainism. That said, Ajivika is still in a position to overtake Jain and Buddhism. It’s not unrealistic at all to imagine a world where it replaces Buddhism entirely. To reflect this, Ajivika will be widespread as a minority religion. It’s primarily going to be found in North India, including the Indus Delta but not downstream of the Indus. There will also be hotspots in the center of India with a new tag that embraces Ajivika as its state religion. It’s in a very precarious situation and players looking for a challenge of reinstating a niche religion have a fun choice in Vidarbha.
_V7wF2slUZm_XiQeEABfoj1CVac5G7jPRNJXb0vkyTYX3-40-_mygWgA9Ul57RcKyhnVobHClvGtu3PihVGFANzfMztyo4h3ECP2pBbwbECt1thzLyRWN2GAcK76LpBWjCpz3KPm5ntzHuJrkvXvqzo

This is such a massive change to the Indian region, and there’s so much more work to be done for the region’s religions, but what I’m showing you is from the first three days of work on it. As such, I can’t tell you much more about the deities, events, flavor, and other stuff that simply hasn’t been thought about quite yet. Nonetheless, India is definitely worth trying out if you haven’t in a while and there’s more to come! Before I move on, huge shoutouts to the amazing Dementive and Shocky, both of whom helped me immensely with figuring out the new Indian religions, supported and suggested for me to add them, and helped me map their spread. And shoutout to Omega as well, who helped me with resources and research for many of the other religions I’ve worked on.

Now then, time to talk about deities again. I will quickly mention that there is a special Greek deity for Greco-Indians only. I want to share more deities with you, but the Indian content I’ve just talked about is hardly 2 or 3 days old, and deities have not been worked on yet. With that out of the way, I will be taking you on a tour of the world and generally the deities and holy sites I’ve added!
Ty13rFkr_8ctOxPefvQEZl6x9gR4H4aEtZ0y-h-QNUShkecqPbij6ci_-w37YqZLrOwYWqI2jiyseg44pVZy1MEBCu0vvjeHxVwtTjHblj4UxMQ5fgFxUjnOvrUOE8vRniYsVu9pFTpO-gTgeFF0E6g

Welcome to the lands of the Nile, my favorite region of all. The Upper Nile was home to many deities that were either never worshiped downstream, were much less relevant, or simply weren’t worshiped anymore. While it’s too much of a stretch to provide a whole new Kushitic religion, they will have access to a half dozen exclusive gods and holy sites accompanying said gods. Don’t worry if you’re prefer sailing downstream, there’s more than a dozen new deities available to all Kemetic believers, and they have new holy sites too! There’s also a small Easter egg deity somewhere here. Kudos to anyone who finds them.
3vn1qvHPJE0KiNo6R4fED-K3AMgVmA4oSYmzyD3TG2Nsx3jhy51wEogli5R_CA4hBSbqetV4NsVm5WUlLiGMhI9m2xSFWTrLYQMZqIS2nUkX4VTzcwiNHeFMy9pK9NXC3rTZEhLlNFY0zBmyw0VIPVc

Speaking of new holy sites, how about Bon? Check out the plethora of new holy sites, 7 new ones to be exact. Oh, by Tonpa Shenrab, that means every deity in Bon has a holy site… well we can’t have that! How about doubling the number of deities for them then! 8 new deities for Bon it is.

BrEJaRmyR8XrJu0Aweq94lnbNimv0cIoGMHPr3Fb73cklBcICcqqj7kFpM1k032Vl2Oi4CHsE3yfxiJRPGoWPtGZSA3O7fOw277R2hxPpp7VCQGybteVxUDhBSqhirWOS-MuFRu0fdjMmTAcR_KBS0U
How about Anatolia and their religion of the great goddess Cybele? Yep, 7 more deities, more holy sites. If you’re a Greek culture who converts to Cybelene, you might have access to a few more deities too.

LN_mtM63c2OtruRyj8MucQsShLVNnoQpNuM1OYPaqW9hEkNn2jnuzF7n5WbCC0iZLZvgcSfrjbsFBoXBsyvbenZgHOMbYqBAFx6kiwUqF2WjK6Fq8eezq7FDQUdOXTd2IUtVYsYb-C96t24f73Y3s8Y

Perhaps the lands of Canaan are more your fancy? Well, here’s some new holy sites for the Levant. You’ll find plenty of new deities as well; there’s more than a dozen new deities for you to try, including some available for Canaanite follows across the Mediterranean.

rECSVS6OLY4X7g2TOHRwUfMVGFUhC2-UGvBjUUMLmgD1aRWlGgT7OqV4x9WMz88PyYKmaOHh_Ac4XVu42wyw9hAvo3T_yq93M0UWEXcnFrN29H2yhgdjpkPA0PfQ9dmDvb_JW5BrO-fMdFy8TBdYA5U
nirpeLE_MD0fatH7ulml3-ssKgeP9jwvxZXTOYA-O3_XdGlCektPnQ5fEpHHtotpJk9xVA2oAnFHX1NFBm2FckEQghrk5Kn7GOi8LfqAYIf3RLaSXaNK_8aDy8Uydeq5EgKmLMRTJWmtQrLuVrAZfv0

Or maybe Africa? Sure, why not. 9 new deities for Megalithic, along with around 10 new holy sites, of course. Megalithic is filled with primordial origins for many gods. From Moneiba to Antinus, there’s a wide variety of gods to select from over the massive expanse Megalithic covers.

9O47B_kpdtoDb1xQ7SL2YqEUa8-kxiBu1MqtXU4Rx_GdZVsC1YJKMeuypTjc-7Mg0OeiiLQNrFKHyS-EQHI3fhSMsxyWfAOPEYm-1OxAN3x_Wh0v_7X28Pa5mK3RhJxg9aqvkxTQ_xIUsiMwzvTmR80

Ah, a Europe enjoyer I see. Well, here’re 2 new holy sites for Tuistic accompanied by 9 new Tuistic deities too! Hopefully those who prefer Norse will read the descriptions and learn about the Germanic origins of said Norse gods.

cLgUNs-1t1DH__K7qFZGSjyLjnvT2ZM_HmPqwrXICUlTObToWYwCALqFYZCTuuqGL3uuDlYql9Cv7-7xgYPQdtpw95HR2jncpEab9OvyT6qKfu17EiRXQKKGpBJfyNWGTguvApWGc7NoJOaL-zV6msE

Perhaps you prefer the weather to the south, in the land of Iberia and their religion of Mari. That’s fine, you have the 8 new Marite deities and 3 new holy sites to play with in their unique religion.
HJB4VhRQCCFk1oDXjHjwSGJaoTD9895s30WMAe9Bm0vm7NweSCVNyIlKPVPZ2XwkNIGE7SCLbgYe783Erl4_j2gJKVqmbpf8gPh9x8ubdzr2f45Udjp6AGX2Ixl0Zgc1tvKCRHjVYn7_WDp6XXszbgA

Of course, I’ve mentioned the Illyrians plenty. Here are 7 of their holy sites, though more to come. And to the west, with two new holy sites (more to come hopefully), the lands of the mighty Zalmoxis have 5 new deities to play with too.

U2SX8PtFXlxQsMuN8g5fkLu2dIEZeJqXVqp3kl0rkDODmA0-bLU338-T9WAYkGqbi0ux4DQ8f1NIg8JbgJM6eq1k0VaciNtGp3KDUbwAiqJ6UuLn-EimTEJ3amNeUWEPUTSyfZRxuMbFmy6odRv4Ido
Let’s slide to the steppe and see the Scythians and Sakans with a small surprise! No new holy sites, but you do get 2 new deities.
jvuqFg8TbqO83VzL7soI72wdg9T_YnGzSa7Ap2aWWjX5aTf8O5MvsgQ29_Pi-KoCGO6Jd6r0wv3i4KON4WFpDxBPdELRJqE2xyySE_XOuFhunezoH0WsCWKUFrh72V2coO-RtbHdZOcdPKtH1AI2QxM
Holy Ishtar! How could anyone forget the legendary pantheon of the Mesopotamians, one of the most well documented and interesting ancient religion?! Not me, that's for sure. Enjoy a dozen new holy sites, and more than 20 new deities! There might even be some more hidden deities from long gone cities to rediscover.

As you can see, this is a ton of deities. Way too many to go over individually. I hope you take notice of the minor changes like new localizations for names, new descriptions, and changed holy sites, but also some major changes like new modifiers, new types of deity conditions, and more.

Thank you for reading. I’m so excited to continue working on religion and deities in the future. I hope you’ll enjoy the more than 100 new deities across the map, 3 whole new religions, and any future content I get to be a part of!

It seems that you are bound to outdo yourselves with the next patch. More quality content is always welcomed!
Just a thought, if I may, in regards to including more deities. Imho it is nice to have each religion to give more bonuses to specific stats. So for example Jain should have little to no effect in boosting mil stats (maybe only some secondary impacts like decreasing war exhaustion etc). On the other hand many deities should have impact to stability and pop happiness. Cannanite religion for example could have a focus on trade, Germanic on war etc. It would be nice for religions to be good at something and bad at something else. All should not have more or less the same buffs so not as to play the same but rather promote different playstyles.

• 4Like
Reactions:
It seems that you are bound to outdo yourselves with the next patch. More quality content is always welcomed!
Just a thought, if I may, in regards to including more deities. Imho it is nice to have each religion to give more bonuses to specific stats. So for example Jain should have little to no effect in boosting mil stats (maybe only some secondary impacts like decreasing war exhaustion etc). On the other hand many deities should have impact to stability and pop happiness. Cannanite religion for example could have a focus on trade, Germanic on war etc. It would be nice for religions to be good at something and bad at something else. All should not have more or less the same buffs so not as to play the same but rather promote different playstyles.
Every religion has 3 modifiers, 2 positives one negative. You can see them by hovering over the religion in for example the country tab and looking at the tooltip.

• 2Like
Reactions: