• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
May I make a suggestion of a formable: Arabia. Available for all Arabic Cultures and Nabateans, requires you to hold Yemeni, Omani, and maybe Palmyra.

Also maybe some more travel routes through Arabia are justified, based on IRL Nabatean trade routes:
NabateensRoutes.png

• 7Like
Reactions:
It is possible to add some buildings to boost some trade goods, like the mines and farming settlements.
Shrines for rural areas were cool too.
Was thinking about this and the Bronze Age Mod does a cool thing where it has "Hunting Grounds" for goods where that is thematically appropriate (Wild game, Elephants et al.). Maybe something like that? Could even have it bifurcate where tribal peoples get hunting grounds and statist peoples have pastures or something.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Please, no elaborate buildings systems. The Bronze Age mods buildings revamp already breaks the macro builder and makes mass building an insane chore.

An observation in regard to how Rome performs - their map steamroll was interrupted by a civil war (probably triggered by progress in the tech chain around "path to dictatorship/empire"), which took more than 35 years to resolve:

NeverendingCivilWarRome1.jpg

NeverendingCivilWarRome2.jpg

That's not to say that this mod is in any way responsible for the drag-out of this war (have seen this in vanilla for AI Rome as well), but just in case more AI finetuning is possible/planned this post should highlight that a civil war in a big AI empire can take them out for quite a time in regard to shaping the map. Not to say that this needs be necessarily changed (real Roman civil war took some time as well), but just sharing my observation for discussion and as feedback.

And a 2nd thing - I play with the AI Empires Collapse mod as well...but in this playthorugh I didn't really notice the effect anymore (especially the usually biggest impact - Seleukids fracturing - wasn't just there). This leaves only to conclusions - either said mod doesn't work properly...or you have made the AI that competent that they just have learned to deal with unhappy conquered lands. And given the overall quality of Imperator Invictus I'm leaning firmly towards the latter explanation ! :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
And a 2nd thing - I play with the AI Empires Collapse mod as well...but in this playthorugh I didn't really notice the effect anymore (especially the usually biggest impact - Seleukids fracturing - wasn't just there). This leaves only to conclusions - either said mod doesn't work properly...or you have made the AI that competent that they just have learned to deal with unhappy conquered lands. And given the overall quality of Imperator Invictus I'm leaning firmly towards the latter explanation ! :)
It still works and the Imperator Invictus actually made the AI smarter, the frequency of riots got smaller but it still happens more often than if I wasn't using AI Empires Collapse (well at least that's what I've noticed with my campaigns)
One more thing by the way we won't have a Dev diary today ( at least I'm wondering if they fixed the bugs in the current version... )

Reactions:
It still works and the Imperator Invictus actually made the AI smarter, the frequency of riots got smaller but it still happens more often than if I wasn't using AI Empires Collapse (well at least that's what I've noticed with my campaigns)
One more thing by the way we won't have a Dev diary today ( at least I'm wondering if they fixed the bugs in the current version... )
Snowlet has said on the Discord that the DD is late and small but coming nonetheless

Reactions:
DD31: MacOS change and Balancing
Dev Diary 31: MacOS change and Balancing
Salvete! Apologies for being late btw but this will be the second the last Dev Diary this year as we’ll be taking a christmas break lasting until the 10th of January and starting with a final DD and update on the 20th of December.
First off we have a reminder about the threadmark system, then an announcement about map-and MacOS development, then we have some tweaking to Religious conversion and Culture assimilation. Finally we have further work on the spearmen.

Note: I wish to remind people that the forum provides easy navigation through all DD's using the threadmark system on the top-right:
1639439400100.png
that's it, it's easy to use and indexes all Dev Diaries for us. Now onto the map.

Shocky27 here with an update on how we will proceed with map extensions moving forward:

We have run into a problem with MacOS crashing after adding a certain number of provinces (after number 8258 to be exact). While this can be pushed a little over in rare cases, we will not be able to add any more provinces for people playing on MacOS. Exceptions files show the error to be possibly memory related and inherent to Mac hardware and how it reads game files, and can’t be avoided unless we use a completely different map like some other overhauls do. For now, this means that from the next major update, MacOS will need to subscribe to a separate mod which we will list when the next major update becomes available.

That being said, as a small teaser for the next expansion area (Windows only)…

KfSrFpQoq8C2xGXzOmd4T22RFAKm9vk1P_TGv-2FArxI8ZhICN2cObSJ_hWfT4rsNadgH6PfYEhU9IG9Mni_nF5QKhDdbUEK0D39dwrXhFMy73J24q-K9hl-sceDbWW6PZXx0gy4

Now onto the perpetual Balancing task that is a Grand Strategy game as presented by yours truly, Snowlet.
We all agreed in the Invictus team that conversion and assimilation was too quick. Now we have taken steps to remedy this before but the recent AI rework worsened the problems as it made the AI smarter at converting areas leading to huge Hellenic blobs. An easy way to come closer to making it realistic is by adjusting the base pop type percentages to assimilation and conversion. You see each pop type has a percentage modifier being applied to conversion and assimilation and we've been experimenting with changing them. Here is our current iteration pending more testing (these numbers aren't final and not as harsh as they might initially seem).
Pop Type:NoblesCitizensFreemenSlavesTribesmen
Cultural Assimilation
Invictus:0.40.30.20.10.05
Vanilla:0.40.60.60.60.4
Religious Conversion
Invictus:0.50.40.20.150.1
Vanilla:0.40.60.60.60.4
After initial testing, it slows down conversion a lot to roughly the levels we want it to be but for the Cultural assimilation we'll certainly look further into adjusting them. It is worth noting that we are basing the ratio upon what happened historically and who would convert first, aka mainly the Nobles and Citizens, but the numbers will be based upon what is best for balancing. These changes will come in the Christmas update next monday.

Hello there, Parcipal here with some news regarding Unit Balancing.

First of all, Spearmen had a rather poor launch, due to personal reasons, but for now they’re in a playable state, due to Snowlets’ effort to drop fast Hotfixes for crucial things.
Furthermore, tweaking has not stopped. We’re currently in the process to streamline and especially refine levy templates to accommodate for historical immersion, as well as gameplay fun. While many cultures already enjoy the benefits of spearmen in their roster, their viability is not where I’d like it to be. (This is partially due to the lack of Spearmen-modifier propagation, which, right now, is lackluster.) (*).
You may totally expect more changes to the initial efficiencies of spearmen (or vice versa, other units’ efficiencies against spearmen.)
Yet another unit, which still under performs according to my latest tests (and with the current workshop version), are camels. Their supply-boost proved to be decent, but could still be notched up. However, the AI is having less supply problems with a camel focused levy/legion.
Another part, which was totally out of my brain-scope were tactics. The next hotfix should include a proper integration of spearmen into the different Tactics. (**)
As a last, on the To-Do-List of spearmen is their UI appearance and localization. Spearmen, currently, do not benefit from our culturally distinct naming convention, regarding units, in edge case they share the same Name as culturally-localized infantry. (i.e Rome- Hastati)
I’m looking to alleviate this.(***) Slight visual bugs may have been seen (Misplaced Spearmen-modifier Icons, alongside a weird battle-view of Spearmen (Their Icon is not the Black/Whiter Silhouette), they have been reported and investigated.(****)

Developer Insights:
(*): We’ll most likely utilize the preferred 3-Unit system which favours tactics and the available battle-spots. Furthermore we’d like to turn spearmen into the core of certain cultures, but that’s just a first glance.
(**): Some Parts were toying around with the idea to create completely new Tactics, to make certain cultures more distinct, warfare-related (or at least push a certain “preferred” unit composition.
(***):If you would like to contribute to a list of names, I’d be grateful for any input to receive.
(****): We’ve also looked into a possible recolour of their associated colour. Expect some Icon updates in the near future.

• 16Like
  • 8Love
Reactions:
I dont understand the need to impose spearman at the expense of heavy infantry.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I believe the design philosophy is so that it’s not heavy infantry > everything else. Break up the meta and give more flavor to nations and armies.
I agree and applaud that. I just read that post as spearmen are going to take paramount place. This concerns me.

I agree and applaud that. I just read that post as spearmen are going to take paramount place. This concerns me.
No worries, this is not intended at all.
In my segment I was merely talking about the "sometimes" out of place levy templates, missing spearmen-modifier propagation (just compare traditions and see how many HI modifiers there are, compared to Spearmen modifiers).

All in all, we would like to make *some* cultures fully immersed into the Spearmen game!

• 3Like
Reactions:
They're making it slower. Much slower.

I absolutely don't understand what is said about culture and religious conversion, can it be elaborated?
As Autonomous said, it is being made quite a lot slower/realistic and conversion/assimilation will now happen at vastly different rates for nobles compared to tribesmen instead of it being nearly uniform for all poptypes.

• 3Like
Reactions:
As Autonomous said, it is being made quite a lot slower/realistic and conversion/assimilation will now happen at vastly different rates for nobles compared to tribesmen instead of it being nearly uniform for all poptypes.
...which I think is a great idea, as it brings more strategy into gameplay: Do I cope with the higher "anger potential" of high-class foreign pops to be able to faster convert/assimilate? Or do I go the demote route? The latter is currently just too efficient, as demotion is easier/faster to do, creates less quarrel and nets you faster conversion/assimilation on top. It is also more realistic that you can fairly easily sway wealthy elites (if you just let them keep their sweet life), while rural tribesmen are more inclined to keep their way of living.

Reactions:
One quick sidenote but there is a submod that changes conversion so it is slower in settlements and faster in Cities and even faster in metropoli: maybe that is also a useful solution to preventing "Roman Bulgaria".

• 1Like
Reactions: