• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

philanthropic19

Khan of Khans
36 Badges
Sep 13, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
Hi everyone,

Objective: This mod adds immersion and flavor to leading an army by giving modifiers to characters leading an army and also to those characters who are the primary attacker/defender in a war but don't lead any armies themselves (cowardly behavior indeed!). The objective of this mod is to make leading an army an immersive decision by giving advantages and disadvantages to leading an army or staying safe in your court.

You are welcome to post your suggestions below for what could be added to the mod to make it better :)

Features:
  • Any character count-tier or above and any of their close relatives and spouses while leading an army during a war will get a "Leading an army" modifier giving the following:
  • Martial +2 (leading the troops inspires you)
  • Monthly prestige +2
  • Vassal opinion +5
  • Fertility -50% (busy leading troops)
  • Health -0.2 (the world outside your comfy court is a dangerous and dirty place)
  • Diplomacy -3 (busy leading troops)
  • Stewardship -2 (busy leading troops)
  • Intrigue -1 (busy leading troops)
  • Any count-tier or above character who is a primary defender or primary attacker in a war, and neither himself nor any of his close relatives or spouses who reside at his court are leading an army, will get a "Shying away from battle" modifier giving the following:
  • Monthly prestige -2
  • Vassal opinion -5
  • Tribal vassal opinion -10 (stacks with previous for a total of -15)
  • Unreformed tribal vassal opinion -15 (stacks with the previous two for a total of -30)
  • This negative modifier does not apply to females unless they have the Conclave DLC and the status of women is set to maximum.

Download:
Direct Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/afiz0zo5p3b6nij/LMM_ImmersiveArmyLeadership.zip?dl=0
Steam Workshop link: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1316243571

Compatibility:
This mod should be compatible with all other mods including overhaul mods such as CK2+ and HIP.

Can be added to and removed from save games without any problem.

Future Work:
I plan on making an add-on mod which will give a sort of "regency" effect when the ruler is busy leading troops away from the capital province. This is complicated (read history section below).

History:
I had originally planned to add some regency mechanics but for that I will make an add-on mod later. For details read the following:
It appears that regency mechanics are hardcoded and not moddable the way I want to do them. In summary, I cannot trigger a regency without making the ruler unavailable to do any task, including leading armies. Hence achieving what I wanted to do with this mod will be more complicated than I imagined.

I will have to come up with an improvised solution now to achieve the objective of the mod. My plan is to make a new minor title (e.g. "governor in absence" or "caretaker" etc.) which can be given to someone when the ruler goes away on a campaign. The title holder will act as a "pseudo-regent". I have plans to make it even more interesting eventually by making this psuedo-regent person powerful and giving him some level of control over the realm thereby making it an important decision. Who knows when you return from your lengthy and tiring campaign you might find that the person you left in charge has rallied the council and your people against you ;)

In order to accomplish this I will split this mod into two parts. The first part (Immersive Army Leadership) will only contain the character modifier for leading an army and the opinion malus for not leading an army during a war. The 2nd part will act as an "add-on" to this mod and will contain the improvised regency mechanics. In order to allow weak claims to be pressed against a ruler who is absent from his capital I will create a new casus belli (e.g. "opportunistic claim") which will allow anyone with a weak claim on the ruler's primary title to press it. I will of course balance the CB in a way so as not to make it overpowered.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
What an excellent idea and very promising design. Small in scope but highly impactful. Would LOVE to see HIP compatibility!

I didn't know this was something I would need until you posted it. Also quick question will it be compatible with The game of thrones mod?

What an excellent idea and very promising design. Small in scope but highly impactful. Would LOVE to see HIP compatibility!

Thank you for your interest. This mod should be compatible with all other mods, this includes overhaul mods such as HIP and Game of Thrones :)

Will you be doing something to help the AI make the right decision? Admittedly, I don't know how they make it already. But one fear I have (no idea how well founded it is), is that most leaders will lead armies, which means most will open themselves to weak claims, leading to an exaggerated amount of removed leaders. This is also a concern for players with moderate to large sized realms who might have a few dukes as commanders.

Will you be doing something to help the AI make the right decision? Admittedly, I don't know how they make it already. But one fear I have (no idea how well founded it is), is that most leaders will lead armies, which means most will open themselves to weak claims, leading to an exaggerated amount of removed leaders. This is also a concern for players with moderate to large sized realms who might have a few dukes as commanders.
Good point. I had thought of this as well. For now, I do not know how the AI makes the decision to appoint leaders for armies (but I will look into this as an update to the mod once it is ready). I do anticipate that with this mod most rulers will lead armies and hence cause regencies. However, I have the feeling that this should not lead to an exaggerated amount of removed rulers because the AI normally does not attack a realm which is significantly stronger than its own even if it has a claim on it. So most leaders should still be safe from militarily weak "weak claimants". However militarily strong "weak claimants" may attack and I personally think this will add to the flavor of the game rather than take away from it. Of course it needs to be tested to see how it goes.

Update 16/Feb/2018:

It appears that regency mechanics are hardcoded and not moddable the way I want to do them. In summary, I cannot trigger a regency without making the ruler unavailable to do any task, including leading armies. Hence achieving what I wanted to do with this mod will be more complicated than I imagined.

I will have to come up with an improvised solution now to achieve the objective of the mod. My plan is to make a new minor title (e.g. "governor in absence" or "caretaker" etc.) which can be given to someone when the ruler goes away on a campaign. The title holder will act as a "pseudo-regent". I have plans to make it even more interesting eventually by making this psuedo-regent person powerful and giving him some level of control over the realm thereby making it an important decision. Who knows when you return from your lengthy and tiring campaign you might find that the person you left in charge has rallied the council and your people against you ;)

In order to accomplish this I will split this mod into two parts. The first part (Immersive Army Leadership) will only contain the character modifier for leading an army and the opinion malus for not leading an army during a war. The 2nd part will act as an "add-on" to this mod and will contain the improvised regency mechanics. In order to allow weak claims to be pressed against a ruler who is absent from his capital I will create a new casus belli (e.g. "opportunistic claim") which will allow anyone with a weak claim on the ruler's primary title to press it. I will of course balance the CB in a way so as not to make it overpowered.

I recommend adding separate buffs/penalties for females, as few would be upset if a female ruler left war to their marshal and commanders, etc.
Thanks, that is a good point. Will implement that.

Last edited:
The mod is finished and uploaded. Download attached .zip file from the first post or subscribe on Steam Workshop. Features:
  • Any character count-tier or above and any of their close relatives and spouses while leading an army during a war will get a "Leading an army" modifier giving the following:
  • Martial +2 (leading the troops inspires you)
  • Monthly prestige +2
  • Vassal opinion +5
  • Fertility -50% (busy leading troops)
  • Health -0.2 (the world outside your comfy court is a dangerous and dirty place)
  • Diplomacy -3 (busy leading troops)
  • Stewardship -2 (busy leading troops)
  • Intrigue -1 (busy leading troops)
  • Any count-tier or above character who is a primary defender or primary attacker in a war, and neither himself nor any of his close relatives or spouses who reside at his court are leading an army, will get a "Shying away from battle" modifier giving the following:
  • Monthly prestige -2
  • Vassal opinion -5
  • Tribal vassal opinion -10 (stacks with previous for a total of -15)
  • Unreformed tribal vassal opinion -15 (stacks with the previous two for a total of -30)
  • This negative modifier does not apply to females unless they have the Conclave DLC and the status of women is set to maximum.

Is there auch regency when leading troops?
No that mechanic is not implemented in this mod. I will make a separate mod for that later.

Update:
########
# Ver 1.2 #
########
- Removed the following government types from granting "War cowardice" modifiers and opinions: republics, theocarcies, roman imperial, chinese imperial, characters with primary title with "Imperial Administration" law

########
# Ver 1.1 #
########
  • Reduced the penalties to AI army leaders for balance purposes. AI army leaders only get -20% Fertility and -0.1 Health (players still get -50% Fertility and -0.2 Health).
  • "Leading an Army" now only apply to the primary attacker or primary defender rulers' characters. Close family members or spouses do not get this modifier.
  • A ruler who is a primary defender or attacker in a war will get "Leading an Army" modifier if he is leading a flank in any army.
  • A ruler who is a primary defender or attacker in a war will get the "Shying away from battle" modifier if:
    • Ruler is eligible to lead armies but neither himself, nor any close relative nor any spouse is leading a flank in any army.
    • Ruler is NOT eligible to lead armies, but has eligible close relatives and spouses who can lead armies but neither any close relative nor any spouse is leading a flank in any army.
  • A person is considered eligible to lead an army if:
    • Is NOT incapable.
    • Does NOT have a regent.
    • Is NOT in prison.
    • Is NOT female OR is female but:
      • Gender game rule is set to All.
      • Is allowed to lead armies due to other reasons (e.g. religion feature etc.).
      • Status of Women law is at maximum.
  • Some other minor changes to the architecture of how the mod works behind the scenes.
  • Just as before, the modifiers are not applied instantly but rather will be updated every few days.