• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

birdboy2000

Megalomaniac
60 Badges
Jan 27, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
There are a lot of things I like about Sengoku at this point, but I have one major gripe. Starting positions differ a lot - who your neighbors are, whether you're at war, whether you're a vassal or running your own clan.

But once you're running your own clan and at peace, the gameplay just isn't all that much different. In EU3, there were dramatic differences between countries based on things like national ideas, sliders, government forms, et al. Sengoku, you choose a religion and which buildings/improvements to build first, and that's pretty much it.

I have a little experience modding Paradox games, but Sengoku seems a bit different in a few ways. At this point, it's largely a matter of brainstorming. I'm wondering what can be done to make it so Shimazu and Date and whatnot aren't just different starting positions on the board, but as different game experiences as possible within the confines of this engine. To make choosing a clan more complex than picking a favorite or looking at the map.

Any ideas?

I just made a post about strategic efffects that could fall in this category.
What I would like to see is the abilty to gain bonuses based on different provinces you are currently holding. These bonuses would be based on historical/geographical features. Check out my thread here.

Tech tree wise decisions combined with guilds or other provincial characteristics?

I have two considerations to make about possible distinction of the clans, and this is based on my experience with Sword of the Stars.

1) To make sure every clan is different, all must have something unique to them. And this unique thing can't be just a +2 to cavalry shock (Shogun 2: Total War anyone?).

2) In terms of customization, the player shouldn't be able to customize his clan to an extent it plays like another one. This is to prevent players simply applying their playstyle succesfully to any clan, which is something I believe should be avoided in mod like this.

That being said, I have never worked in a mod project, neither have done any extensive modding work on my own, but would be willing to participate, be it on event scripting, design, and testing.

2) In terms of customization, the player shouldn't be able to customize his clan to an extent it plays like another one. This is to prevent players simply applying their playstyle succesfully to any clan, which is something I believe should be avoided in mod like this.

that can be done only with restrictions... clan x cant have stables, clan y cant join Christian faction, clan z cant build gunsmith... but that is not really right thing... i like freedom of decision what to do.. but well i cant think Kenshin would have been Christian.. that i can not..

i want to mod in more balance into game first..

- less money in the end game (vassal relations draining it).. more money at the start.

- way less honor gained (also would be cool to increase honor loss while attacking bigger clans if that possible)

- change that ridiculous 2:1 infantry:cavalry ratio to something like 3:1 cose it cant be made different for different provinces.

- redraw map making impassable mountains really impassable. that would give so much more strategical depth into army movement.

- make it harder to build province improvements (at ~1550 all provinces are nearly fully upgraded... thats not balanced)

- reduce army sizes. (dont you think they are to big?)

I whipped up a bunch of new buildings (one for most of the modifiers I found) and province modifiers (for Koga/Iga, Ryukyu, Ainu, and Western trade, and the Imperial Court, but I'm not sure if the latter is in the right province). The buildings seem balanced eyeballing it (and the provinces a bit imbalanced but supposed to be) but little testing so far.

I'm not sure how to mod things at the clan level yet, if I'm it's even possible - no tags like I'm used to - so I'm doing provincial stuff for now.

Attachments

• mod.rar
    4,6 KB · Views: 58
that can be done only with restrictions... clan x cant have stables, clan y cant join Christian faction, clan z cant build gunsmith... but that is not really right thing... i like freedom of decision what to do.. but well i cant think Kenshin would have been Christian.. that i can not..

Wasn't this about modding clan customization though, not game balance?

As for freedom vs flavor, well that depends on whoever is putting the work in, I personally prefer freedom. If I want to shape my clan towards cavalry I should be able to, but you can also have character specific bonuses, historical bonuses in the form of tags or whatever, the aforementioned strategic effects from regions/provinces, stuff that adds flavor and encourages certain clans into certain paths because they're more beneficial.

Last edited:
I whipped up a bunch of new buildings (one for most of the modifiers I found) and province modifiers (for Koga/Iga, Ryukyu, Ainu, and Western trade, and the Imperial Court, but I'm not sure if the latter is in the right province). The buildings seem balanced eyeballing it (and the provinces a bit imbalanced but supposed to be) but little testing so far.

I'm not sure how to mod things at the clan level yet, if I'm it's even possible - no tags like I'm used to - so I'm doing provincial stuff for now.

Nice work!

- redraw map making impassable mountains really impassable. that would give so much more strategical depth into army movement.
Luckily someone already made that mod :) So we should combine that with what birdboy done so far.
- make it harder to build province improvements (at ~1550 all provinces are nearly fully upgraded... thats not balanced)
But how? I have one idea, there are already some events where you take a province and part of the castel is destroyed. These events could be expanded. Burning and looting was realy common in the warfare (just look what happened at the capital) so we could increase the chance of the castle destroyed event and also add events for destroying village buildings. This could also effect army sizes and endgame money because less building = less money and armies.

Last edited:
I don't know if it is possible but if we can use intrigue stat (of either the ruler, master or both) to determine building efficiency within kuri we can increase or decrease building time. That stat seems quite useless at the moment.

I'd like it to be a combined effort, like a Sengoku Realism Project (or SRP). Already including the clan breakdown and impassible mountain range mods is a must.

I made some small modifications to the siege events but how do I upload files here?

On advanced reply, manage attachments and upload the attachments. (Larger mods might need a separate file hosting service, but for event tweaks this will do)

This upload is the combined mod of birdboy2000 province events, impassable mountains by Galle and Divided Clans by chatnoir17 (thanks for their hard work) + I made a small tweak to the siege events.

Castle and village improvments are much more likely to be destroyed in a siege. I'm trying to represent the looting and destruction of warfare that was common in the period.
Hopefull this will also have the effect of not having 100% developed provinces everywhere by 1550 or so.

This still needs some testing so try it out and please tell me how it works.

View attachment mod.zip

View attachment clan_flavour_mod.7z

I created a clan customization mod that creates 8 different specialties that clans can choose from (hoping to add some diversity each time you play). However, when I started the game I was only given the first 4 of the 8 specialties to choose from. Is there a limit to the number of options you can include in an event? I am attaching my mod if anyone can find something I missed.

...why didn't I think of doing it as a character event. OF COURSE that's how to customize at the ruler level!

(That said, usually things like that are missed brackets - download Notepad++ or something and check? If not that, I'm not sure.
EDIT: If there is a missed bracket I'm not seeing it. Sorry, man.)

Last edited: