• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Caeserion

Major
64 Badges
Nov 21, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Crusader Kings III Referal
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Magicka
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
So Idk how many others use a lot of mods for each playthrough and have a lot of mods downloaded at the same time so if its few this probably won't be that helpful but here goes.

When you open up the launcher and switch to mod tab, allow us to group mods under one heading and then by clicking the box you can select/deselect all those mods at once. This would be helpful for those of us who use several different mods on concurrent playthroughs and also a variety of submods or personal mods along them. Right now its a pain to scroll through a lot of mods and carefully select/deselect them individually depending on the playthrough I want to do.

I'd see the categories/headings being something like this for me (we should get to name them or have them be numbers): CK2+, HIP, AGOT, Ironman. It would be different for other people who use other total conversion mods but you get the general idea.

Upvote 0
I would love some kind of "mod packs" (collections / sets of mods) that you could swap between.

Mods are going to be more important for the longevity of the game after they are done releasing DLCs

I havent really modded the game lately (with the excepiton of UI and graphics), but didn't you have to include files into the game folder with hip (or was it CK2+). I guess this would cause incmpatability with a simple switch in the mod menu (unless they added better support for mods).

Other issues would be resolving the "load order" and if you wantet the same mod in two "collections"

But i regress +1 to your suggestion

How should they be grouped? I mean, there are nothing useful in the *.mod file to group on except tag and that makes no sense. You want to add support for another field in the *.mod file? Or by folderstructure? Or waht is the suggested solution really? :)

I read a simelar suggestion for the DLC tab a while ago. There it makes perfect sense as then PDX chooses what group each DLC would fall under. But here you leave it to the community?

How should they be grouped? I mean, there are nothing useful in the *.mod file to group on except tag and that makes no sense. You want to add support for another field in the *.mod file? Or by folder structure? Or what is the suggested solution really? :)

I read a similar suggestion for the DLC tab a while ago. There it makes perfect sense as then PDX chooses what group each DLC would fall under. But here you leave it to the community?

The suggestion is that rather than mods being stored in a single mod folder (as is the case now), they gets stored in a single folder with one or more sub folders to any depth that the player desires. The game engine would then replicate this structure in its display of available mods and allow the player to select or deselect a single group or instead to expand the selection and select or deselect individual mods.

To take the most obvious example, a player could have in their root mod folder a mini-mod of their own creation called personal_changes and another group mod folder called HIP, inside of which contain all of the relevant HIP sub mods. If a player wanted to isolate and ignore all of the HIP mods then they could easily do so as they would all be in the same place, but if they wanted to say one small bit (say VIET) then they could find it easily by looking in the one obvious location.

This really shouldn't be too hard to implement and would a lot to the game, especially for players who use a lot of mods.

@Rags17 Cool! Thanks for clarifying. Hard to see the benefit from my view with 2 mods on my list I rarely enable

If it gives a cleaner view in luancher, would it not mess up the folder structure? And is is that clear that "Mod X is allways played with Mod B" etc?

@Rags17 Cool! Thanks for clarifying. Hard to see the benefit from my view with 2 mods on my list I rarely enable

If it gives a cleaner view in luancher, would it not mess up the folder structure? And is is that clear that "Mod X is allways played with Mod B" etc?

I used HIP as an example because it is famous for its sub mods. IIRC it actually started as a single project that then absorbed lots of others. If you subscribe to it on Steam your mod folder will fill up with dozens of smaller mods, some of which depend upon others, some of which do not. This also makes manually uninstalling it a bit of a pain, I've lost track of all the mods in my mod folder, some I play with rarely, some not at all, some are even my own half baked mod ideas or dumping grounds for scripts, localization files etc that I aim to use in some future mod.

Idk enough about modding and stuff to answer the folder questions but when I was thinking of it I didn't think it would require any changes in the filing structure, just a UI change. Basically I want the launcher to look something like this:
LauncherMockup.png

I know my paint skills are 5/7 so no need to comment on that :D

But yeah as you can see each grouping has the check mark next to it. By clicking it you enable/disable all mods under that grouping. Not sure how to actually add a mod to a group, I was hoping it would be manual in the launcher but if it requires me making subfolders in the mod folder I'm fine with that too.