• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
GES_new_laws_showcase.png

Salvete everyone,

I'm here to talk about what's taking so long with the update and how the overhaul of the law system is shaking out. In terms of optics, you'll notice (see spoiler) that things look pretty much the same aside from some new laws for republics and a few extra gui items. What are these items?
Well, the added colored backgrounds indicate laws that work under the vanilla system; they are mutually exclusive and you choose one out of a selection of them. This is to differentiate these 'normal' laws from two new types of laws: stand-alone, and progressive.

Stand-Alone Laws:
While the vanilla system didn't prevent you from having stand-alone laws, it would put them into their own category with their own header and clutter up the interface quite a bit. Not to mention the vanilla interface forces you to keep entries around for 'null' laws that have no modifiers but represent that no other laws in the category are active; the new system does not (though I have currently maintained the null options in the interface for the vanilla laws).
Stand-alone laws are enacted or repealed, never replaced by an alternative in the way that standard laws are. This lets things like Citizenship By Purchase (which adds a modest chance to assimilate noble pops and a tiny chance to assimilate citizen pops) be toggled on and off without affecting the other citizenship laws.

Progressive Laws:
Progressive laws are designated by the arrows between them and require just what the name suggests, a progression. A nation can only go up or down one level at a time and must pass each law to proceed to the next. At the moment you are locked into this one-step process (the possibility of going more than one step for an added cost has been floated and may be implemented later). In the case of integration, each law has it's own effect on the cultural integration mechanics but the system could also be used where the benefits of each prior law are kept when the new next level is passed.

If people have alternative thoughts on how the UI could be set up to differentiate standard, stand-alone, and progressive laws I am happy to hear them (I'm a mechanics/flavour wizard; UI design is not my forte).

Once the system is complete (which it basically is aside from a lot of localization for the confirmation window and tooltips) adding new laws will be much less time consuming than rebuilding the system has been and it provides a lot more opportunities for unique laws to be added to various tags. We have a new team member (soon to be introduced) working on research for some of these unique laws already.

• 8Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Spoiler: Laws Interface
This looks wonderful, however, I've had this question since the game came out (and at this point I problably know the answer already): can you have more than 8 "law categories" and have the ui support it? Something like Vicky2 HPM/HFM/etc.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This looks wonderful, however, I've had this question since the game came out (and at this point I problably know the answer already): can you have more than 8 "law categories" and have the ui support it? Something like Vicky2 HPM/HFM/etc.
Not in vanilla, but you can with this. You can’t tell by that screenshot but this interface will scroll if you add more laws meaning you could effectively have as many as you like.

Not putting the laws in a scrollbox is just another example of the lack of thought about basic modding that went into the design of Imperator’s mechanics; the engine itself is incredibly moddable (which is how I was able to do all this) but the mechanics Paradox made in the engine are usually not.

This was my first foray into trying to fix that by “recreating” a mechanic with the more generous tools of the engine so as not to be straightjacketed by narrow design choices (choices probably made based on time and $ rather than moddability).

Reactions:
Not in vanilla, but you can with this. You can’t tell by that screenshot but this interface will scroll if you add more laws meaning you could effectively have as many as you like.

Not putting the laws in a scrollbox is just another example of the lack of thought about basic modding that went into the design of Imperator’s mechanics; the engine itself is incredibly moddable (which is how I was able to do all this) but the mechanics Paradox made in the engine are usually not.

This was my first foray into trying to fix that by “recreating” a mechanic with the more generous tools of the engine so as not to be straightjacketed by narrow design choices (choices probably made based on time and $ rather than moddability).
That is amazing, thank you. Honestly, I always believed laws were the most underdeveloped concept of the game, can't wait to see what else you'll be able to make with them!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Salvete everyone,

Very excited to announce the release of Gladio et Sale 2.0. What change justifies the step to version 2? Well, firstly there is the overhaul of the code for the Laws system announced above; this represents our first foray into reworking of the vanilla systems to make them more moddable for future flavor.

Primarily though, it is the integration of the Lambert Conformal Conic Projection mod; I've overplayed the GeS province map onto the aesthetic elements (terrain, heightmaps, and flatmap) provided by this mod and it makes the visual experience far better than what we had before without them. Kudos to that team for their hard work and thanks for graciously allowing us to use it. This not only fixes many issues with the projection of the Far East relative to the rest of the map, but will allow for much more efficient map changes going forward as the terrain provides points of reference to draw off of in ways we didn't have before. Expect this to mean Indochina and Mongolia will appear in the next major release (2.1).

Steam

Direct Download

The 'light' version is also updated; this version is without the expanded map.

Light Version - Steam

Light Version - Direct

Change Notes:

==== General Changes & Fixes ====
* Fixed missions that referred to old port buildings and could not be completed
* Various adjustments to Assimilation/Conversion calculations

==== Deities ====
* Added basic deities for Korean and Chinese pagan religions

==== Map ====
* Full Integration of 'Lambert Conformal Conic Projection Map Overhaul' mod
** That mod provides terrain, rivers, heightmap, and other visual assets with GeS provinces overlayed thereupon
** Will enable faster expansion of the map based on geographical references instead of overlaying maps over existing sections
* During the transition, redrew the Heixi corridor, Tarim basin, and Qaidam basin areas to match the geography properly

==== Imperator Mechanics Improvement ====
* Rebuilt the laws system; in addition to previous 'select 1 of X options' laws there are now other types:
** Stand-alone laws that can be enacted or repealed in a given category (e.g. Citizenship By Purchase)
** Progressive laws where the law 1 is enacted followed by law 2 followed by law 3 (e.g. Republic Integration laws)

==== Laws ====
* Replaced old citizenship and integration laws for republics with new ones tied to the cultural assimilation mechanics
* Republic Citizenship laws: Dual-Parent Citizenship, Single Parent Citizenship, Citizenship By Merit(SA), Citizenship by Purchase(SA)
* Integration Laws: Culture, Culture-Group, Selective, Universal

• 12Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Excellent.

What s the difference between this and Invictus mod?
In my opinion Invictus polishes and fixes Vanilla features, little bit like vanilla plus in CK II, Gladio et sale make total overhauls for game mechanics. Both are totally worth having and playing. G&S also has China and its hundred school era with unique religion mechanics.

Is there more detailed info about cultural assimilation than game's inside wiki? I'm playing as British tribe reformed as kingdom. Game says Pretani is "unified" culture, but there is still no major assimilation in 100 B.C and there are tens of subcultures in Britain. I tried to integrate, but removed rights after happiness of the main culture went so low. Island is also full of roads and almost every city has a theatre. Can't colonize empty provinces in Scotland and Ireland and there for form Albion.

Some mission trees won't work because trees don't count modded farming/pasture/hunting settlements as farming settlements. Is there going to be pictures for these settlements?

Reactions:
Really enjoying this mod so far, picked up a few small bugs though. When the updated siege won message pops up it often refers to the wrong province (usually another province you are still sieging).
Also military road building doesn't seem to work. Legion starts digging animation but when it gets to neighbouring province no road has been built. Normal roads seem ok though

In my opinion Invictus polishes and fixes Vanilla features, little bit like vanilla plus in CK II, Gladio et sale make total overhauls for game mechanics. Both are totally worth having and playing. G&S also has China and its hundred school era with unique religion mechanics.

Is there more detailed info about cultural assimilation than game's inside wiki? I'm playing as British tribe reformed as kingdom. Game says Pretani is "unified" culture, but there is still no major assimilation in 100 B.C and there are tens of subcultures in Britain. I tried to integrate, but removed rights after happiness of the main culture went so low. Island is also full of roads and almost every city has a theatre. Can't colonize empty provinces in Scotland and Ireland and there for form Albion.

Some mission trees won't work because trees don't count modded farming/pasture/hunting settlements as farming settlements. Is there going to be pictures for these settlements?
It's because G&S changes the way assimilation works, it's now a yearly chance to assimilate one per pop type per province, I don't think this chance changes with the assimilation boni from innovations, theaters and province edicts. I could be wrong.

It's because G&S changes the way assimilation works, it's now a yearly chance to assimilate one per pop type per province, I don't think this chance changes with the assimilation boni from innovations, theaters and province edicts. I could be wrong.
Yeah, I tought assimilation omen and theatres were useless. When I have played with bigger countries, this hasn't been a problem. Problem is with colonization, and in mid game my levy/legion was quite small.