• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Question: Does this mod change the situation in Etruria (modern day Tuscany)?

I never liked the political situation there since the Etrurians were never a politically unified people but a collection of city states only brought together by a league that was solely economic in nature.

Question: Does this mod change the situation in Etruria (modern day Tuscany)?

I never liked the political situation there since the Etrurians were never a politically unified people but a collection of city states only brought together by a league that was solely economic in nature.

At the moment it does not; it is on the list of things to be reworked (especially if it will help balance the insane expansion rate that even the AI can manage as Rome in the early game) but it hasn't been looked at yet. Unfortunately there's only so much one person can do and I still have VeF (for EUIV) that I'm also solo-modding at this point so while I have grand designs for the mod it is inevitably slow-going.

Apologies for the delays; the 1.19BETA is now available after having fixed the crashes related to ports being defined for provinces that weren't coastal. I'm labeling this a BETA as the new culture functionality has not been thoroughly tested and I hope to have it all ironed out and finalized before too long but this version is much more playable than the ALPHA released immediately after 2.0. I'm also issuing a BETA2 for the light version to address a number of bugs, mostly minor but since its a lot smaller download I don't worry as much about releasing for only small things.

Version 1.19BETA:

Steam

Direct Download

'Light' Version (without the expanded map) 1.19BETA2:

Steam - Light

Direct Download - Light

• 2Like
Reactions:
At the moment it does not; it is on the list of things to be reworked (especially if it will help balance the insane expansion rate that even the AI can manage as Rome in the early game) but it hasn't been looked at yet. Unfortunately there's only so much one person can do and I still have VeF (for EUIV) that I'm also solo-modding at this point so while I have grand designs for the mod it is inevitably slow-going.

Okay, good to know!

And don't feel too pressured to live up to some stranger's expectation for your mod! The amount of work you've already done is still absolutely amazing!

I will say this though, I don't really consider Rome's expansion to be all that crazy, at least in the early game up to the historical start of the Punic Wars.

Historically the Romans would unify the Italian peninsula within that time frame anyway.

Last edited:
Okay, good to know!

And don't feel too pressured to live up to some stranger's expectation for your mod! The amount of work you've already done is still absolutely amazing!

I will say this though, I don't really consider Rome's expansion to be all that crazy, at least in the early game up to the historical start of the Punic Wars.

Historically the Romans would unify the Italian peninsula within that time frame anyway.
Well, when I reworked some of the face of Italy at the start of the mod I didn’t want to be too much of a clone of EHI (an early Imperator overhaul that I think is now dead) which started by breaking up Etruria so I left the area alone and just never got back to considering/researching what it’s status should be again.

Well, when I reworked some of the face of Italy at the start of the mod I didn’t want to be too much of a clone of EHI (an early Imperator overhaul that I think is now dead) which started by breaking up Etruria so I left the area alone and just never got back to considering/researching what it’s status should be again.

Well, Etruria absolutely should be broken up into various city states since there was never any political unity among them right up until the end of their Independence (i.e. Roman annexation). One could argue that Etrurian should be in a separate culture group as well. Indeed, perhaps Italic should be broken up in general.

Also, as an aside, up until the Mid- to Late- 5th century BC Etruria covered everything south of the Po River and north of Latium.

If you want a better understanding of the political situation of Etruria prior to Roman Conquest than I can give check out Mike Duncan's History of Rome podcast.

Reactions:
Well, Etruria absolutely should be broken up into various city states since there was never any political unity among them right up until the end of their Independence (i.e. Roman annexation). One could argue that Etrurian should be in a separate culture group as well. Indeed, perhaps Italic should be broken up in general.

Also, as an aside, up until the Mid- to Late- 5th century BC Etruria covered everything south of the Po River and north of Latium.

If you want a better understanding of the political situation of Etruria prior to Roman Conquest than I can give check out Mike Duncan's History of Rome podcast.
While there’s definitely a historical argument regarding the Italic group including whether the Romans and Etruscans should be classed together (I personally think they should) and whether the souther groups should be with them (I think there’s a strong case that the Messapians belong in the Illyrian group) I think:
a) gameplay would suffer too much from splitting them up
b) culture groups are just a nest of weeds that you will never get out of; at some point you simply have to settle on a setup and stick with it. Definitely the culture group assignments in some places are influenced by our knowing how history turned out and privileging the group a culture ended up part of, but it’s an argument that wouldn’t end until nearly every culture has its own group; I’m comfortable with the way it’s currently abstracted.

I don't think they should be separated. Early Roman culture was heavily influenced by etruscans: the alphabet, kings with etruscans origins, some public games, etc. It makes sense tô put them on the sane group.
But I agree that "Etruria" should be broken into city-states

I don't think they should be separated. Early Roman culture was heavily influenced by etruscans: the alphabet, kings with etruscans origins, some public games, etc. It makes sense tô put them on the sane group.

Again, you could say the same thing about the Greeks in the South.
a) gameplay would suffer too much from splitting them up

How so?

Well, I can’t say for certain until I iron out the details of culture changes that are being done but as it stands only cultures in your group can be integrated and others have to be converted to your group first. Would seriously curtail Rome’s ability to levy troops from the south of Italy as conversion happens relatively slowly in the mod.

I can't get this mod to work. I've tried downloading on Steam, and from the Paradox Forums. I've also tried deleting my cache and mod folder, and I've ensured it is the only mod enabled. I get the expanded map, and the encyclopedia, but buildings are vanilla, though the forum is renamed to magistrate.
The religion screen is also all messed up, and it won't let me do more than one omen, even though my King's abilities should give me a second one according to the encyclopedia.
Could you please let me know if you have any idea how I can go about fixing this?

Last edited:
I can't get this mod to work. I've tried downloading on Steam, and from the Paradox Forums. I've also tried deleting my cache and mod folder, and I've ensured it is the only mod enabled. I get the expanded map, and the encyclopedia, but buildings are vanilla, though the forum is renamed to magistrate.
The religion screen is also all messed up, and it won't let me do more than one omen, even though my King's abilities should give me a second one according to the encyclopedia.
Could you please let me know if you have any idea how I can go about fixing this?

The in-game encyclopedia is somewhat out of date (I am fixing that for the next update) especially with regards to the old omen system with multiple omens and the special buildings that had to be overhauled with the introduction of vanilla having an upgradeable port similar to my old system. The buildings will all be restored and/or redocumented for the next update. Hopefully looking to have the update this coming weekend but we will see.

Hello everyone,

Some may have noticed that 2.0.2 introduced a crash whenever the import window was opened. I've posted an update to the beta with simple fixes for:
Trade Window crash
the religion window not being updated for 2.0
adjacencies in the east not working
missing ports in the east.

I'm optimistic the final version will be available in the next week or so.

Gladio et Sale Version 1.19BETA2:

Steam

Direct Download

This update is also issued for the 'Light' version since it was also subject to the crash; Gladio et Sale 'Light Version 1.19BETA3:

Light Version - Steam

Light Version - Direct

• 2Like
Reactions:
Splendid.

Religious and cultural conversations dont work in the mod. The 10 year cooldown stays on 0 no matter how many years go by. Am i missing something, how can you convert your pops?

Religious and cultural conversations dont work in the mod. The 10 year cooldown stays on 0 no matter how many years go by. Am i missing something, how can you convert your pops?

It seems I set some variables improperly and the game currently all cultures to be unified and unassimilable; not sure why the religious isn't working though. Will look at it and get it fixed.
I'm getting a lot of crashes even though I'm only running this mod. Any ideas?
No, I just ran a couple tests through about 60 years and no issues; any details you can give? We recently had a crash related to one window that was changed in 2.0.2 which should be fixed but possible there is another broken window lurking somewhere that hasn't been reported yet.

It seems I set some variables improperly and the game currently all cultures to be unified and unassimilable; not sure why the religious isn't working though. Will look at it and get it fixed.

No, I just ran a couple tests through about 60 years and no issues; any details you can give? We recently had a crash related to one window that was changed in 2.0.2 which should be fixed but possible there is another broken window lurking somewhere that hasn't been reported yet.
Thanks, I'll just wait for the patch then. Keep up the good work, amazing mod!

Dear rivtaldm,

I hope you will keep working on your amazing mod and deliver the ultimate IR experience!

I wonder if you see any possibility for revisiting trade (somehow making it a bit more realistic and giving a role to navy supremacy) and casus belli (if moddable now or in the future)

All the best!

• 1Like
Reactions: