• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another issue, and it's a complicated one....

The 2nd Punic War mission can only be completed when Carthage has no land left in Iberia.
Playing against the AI, Carthage has not expanded in Iberia beyond the province of Baetica Gaditanus, which is the southern tip (near Gibraltar).
I do not have a contiguous border with Carthage (lots of Iberian nations in between), so I did an amphibious invasion and captured the province.

But now I can't demand that province in the sue for peace screen, because the province capital (Mergablum) needs to be a coastal city.
It IS a coastal city, but the game isn't recognizing it as such.

I don't know if the problem is even fixable. Wanted to bring it to your attention though.
But as it stands at present, the 2nd Punic War mission can't be completed unless Rome and Carthage share a land border.
But given the abominable AI for Carthage, I can't see them expanding past the southern tip of Iberia.

Another issue, and it's a complicated one....

The 2nd Punic War mission can only be completed when Carthage has no land left in Iberia.
Playing against the AI, Carthage has not expanded in Iberia beyond the province of Baetica Gaditanus, which is the southern tip (near Gibraltar).
I do not have a contiguous border with Carthage (lots of Iberian nations in between), so I did an amphibious invasion and captured the province.

But now I can't demand that province in the sue for peace screen, because the province capital (Mergablum) needs to be a coastal city.
It IS a coastal city, but the game isn't recognizing it as such.

I don't know if the problem is even fixable. Wanted to bring it to your attention though.
But as it stands at present, the 2nd Punic War mission can't be completed unless Rome and Carthage share a land border.
But given the abominable AI for Carthage, I can't see them expanding past the southern tip of Iberia.

For now I will update the mission so that it can be completed just if you occupy all their Iberian provinces even if you can't actually take them at the end of the war for whatever reason (can get this fix into tomorrow's 1.4A public patch for vanilla 1.1). I'll see if the coastal city issue is something on my side but probably a bug from PDX.

Version 1.4A is now released for compatibility with the final vanilla 1.1 'Pompey' patch. You can get it on Steam and Direct Download. The only changes from 1.4 are those necessary for functionality with 1.1 as well as some fixes to Roman missions. Version 1.5 will be released Friday, July 5th as planned.

Okay but there are still tecs that gives reduced cost for the province investments. So maybe you can still have them in? Have them represent genarav invenstmant in infrastructure in the province. Give them a money cost to.

I did get those techs changed for final 1.4A release after 1.1 went public. Problem with their province investments is that I already scrapped religious power and civic power is following in 1.5; I don't know what to do with them that wouldn't just be another gold sink benefitting bigger nations more than small ones. I'm not opposed to them but they are mana based and GES won't have two of the four mana; I'm kind of curious to see how PDX plans to use them going forward since they are getting rid of mana entirely.

hey, really like the mod so far.
what i don't get is the cultural conversion mechanic. i'm playing as seleucids and the majority of provinces have the cultural assimilation gevernor policy active but i don't get any conversions. what is a viable strategy as seleucids?

I'm getting cultural and religious conversions in my Rome game. It just takes a lot of time. I'm over 200 years into my campaign and there are a couple cities in northern Italy which are still not majority latinized.

What I have a question about is the "set this city as target for pop migration" button:

Mediolanum became depopulated because of an earthquake and I couldn't recolonize it because my adjacent cities weren't majority Roman.
So I made Comum the focus of pop migration so I could get a Roman majority up there. Years later and the city still has only 2 Lepontic pops in it.
Is this WaD? In that it takes years for a single pop to move?

hey, really like the mod so far.
what i don't get is the cultural conversion mechanic. i'm playing as seleucids and the majority of provinces have the cultural assimilation gevernor policy active but i don't get any conversions. what is a viable strategy as seleucids?

You are probably below the 40% threshold for conversion; in order to convert you need at least that much of your primary culture in your nation. That artificial limit was set to prevent the world turning Greek in the first hundred years; in 1.6 (still a couple weeks out) I'm scrapping the limit for a % based system which should allow conversion everywhere (though requiring a lot of effort where your culture is in the extreme minority).

I'm getting cultural and religious conversions in my Rome game. It just takes a lot of time. I'm over 200 years into my campaign and there are a couple cities in northern Italy which are still not majority latinized.

What I have a question about is the "set this city as target for pop migration" button:

Mediolanum became depopulated because of an earthquake and I couldn't recolonize it because my adjacent cities weren't majority Roman.
So I made Comum the focus of pop migration so I could get a Roman majority up there. Years later and the city still has only 2 Lepontic pops in it.
Is this WaD? In that it takes years for a single pop to move?

That "Set Target For Pop Movement" button isn't an automated effect, its' meant to streamline the click-fest that is moving pops by setting a single target and being used in conjunction with the "To" and "From" buttons in the pop screen. The idea being that, if Rome has too many slaves, you can set Rome as the target and then use the "From" button in several other provinces to move them there; conversely if you need more pops in a province producing a certain good, you set it as target and then use the "To" button in several other provinces to move a couple pops here and there. It's an alternative to clicking the "Move" button and scrolling through the list to find the province you want when it's the same province over and over again.

thank for your answer
so do i need at least 40% thraikes or any hellenic culture in a province so the assimilation process will take place?

If Thraikes is your primary culture, you need Hellenic pops to make up 40% of the national population right now in order for conversion to progress.

If Thraikes is your primary culture, you need Hellenic pops to make up 40% of the national population right now in order for conversion to progress.

So in other words, will l need to be destroying non-Latin populations as I conquer provinces, or else my Latin pops will quickly become <40% of the population?

I'm guessing that Latinized culture pops will count towards my main culture group in this aspect.

So in other words, will l need to be destroying non-Latin populations as I conquer provinces, or else my Latin pops will quickly become <40% of the population?

I'm guessing that Latinized culture pops will count towards my main culture group in this aspect.

Yes the 'converted' pop cultures (Latinized, Hellenized, etc.) count as part of the culture group. Usually this doesn't become a problem as most of your conquests are other Latin pops early on which gives you a healthy base, but in the long run it is possible to expand faster than you convert people in Iberia/Africa/Gaul and run into problems. This is why I'm currently working on a new system for conversion that will debut in 1.6 (two weeks) relying on % chance based on a number of factors that starts after a small buffer of holding the province for ten years rather than a lot of arbitrary hard numbers as under the current system.

Hi rivtaldm,

thank you again for your work!

Just a question: in the next releases of the mod, how much cultural diversity will worsen the research efficiency of empires such as Seleucids and Phrygia? Will he happines of citizens still be the main driver of research?

I find quite strange such a mechanism: I think cultural diversity should affect stability and politics, but not technological advancement.

Last edited:
Yes the 'converted' pop cultures (Latinized, Hellenized, etc.) count as part of the culture group. Usually this doesn't become a problem as most of your conquests are other Latin pops early on which gives you a healthy base, but in the long run it is possible to expand faster than you convert people in Iberia/Africa/Gaul and run into problems. This is why I'm currently working on a new system for conversion that will debut in 1.6 (two weeks) relying on % chance based on a number of factors that starts after a small buffer of holding the province for ten years rather than a lot of arbitrary hard numbers as under the current system.

Got any ideas of how youre gonna work with the system being implemented in september? Gonna erase it and stick to yours or will you work upon it?

Any ideas for the new pop migration and promotion systems? ;)

Will there be any way of knowing what percentage of my empire is my base culture?

Will there be any way of knowing what percentage of my empire is my base culture?

The pie chart in the Nation Overview screen will give you the exact percentages if you hover over it.
Hi rivtaldm,

thank you again for your work!

Just a question: in the next releases of the mod, how much cultural diversity will worsen the research efficiency of empires such as Seleucids and Phrygia? Will he happines of citizens still be the main driver of research?

I find quite strange such a mechanism: I think cultural diversity should affect stability and politics, but not technological advancement.

I haven't started working on any pop happiness or output values yet at all.

Got any ideas of how youre gonna work with the system being implemented in september? Gonna erase it and stick to yours or will you work upon it?

Any ideas for the new pop migration and promotion systems? ;)

Their migration and promotion look alright at first glance; I'm sure I'll make adjustments but it's not got any major issues I see right away.

For culture, I looked at the open beta and I don't care for it much:
1) it is basically the running-clock type of system that I had just chosen to move away from
2) it uses a singular value rather than looking at different factors for different pops; I understand the performance reasons for that as I'm currently fighting to optimize my new system in an acceptable manner but its unrealistic to say the least
3) Like too many things in this game it relies on arbitrary thresholds that cause a huge swing rather than doing the math (e.g. dominant culture in the city is a huge modifier but it makes no sense that a city with 99 Greeks and 100 Persians has the same malus (-7.5%) to conversion as one with 1 Greek and 100 Persians but the malus disappears when it becomes 100 Greeks and 99 Persians resulting in a huge swing caused by an arbitrary threshold). It could at least be factored with the culture % for the state (numbers they calculate for the pie chart displays already).

So most likely I'll stick with what I'm doing in terms of culture unless I truly can't afford the performance at some point or they implement a better system.

Do you have plans to make GES beta compatible?
If not, I'll be sticking with GES.
Not going to give into the temptation to try the beta and lose all your good stuff :)

Do you have plans to make GES beta compatible?
If not, I'll be sticking with GES.
Not going to give into the temptation to try the beta and lose all your good stuff :)

At the moment I'm focused on my release of 1.5 tomorrow and then finishing up 1.6

The difficulty with the beta is that it will be a beta until September. With the 1.1 open beta I just had to move some adjustments over and create an alternative that lasted a week until the next release with no need to merge in changes as I went; in this case, I could have anywhere between 4 and 6 releases of GES during the open beta (depending on when in September they release) which is a lot to maintain two code bases for.

That being said, I am going to give it a shot though I don't know when it will be ready.

I skipped the Pompey beta compatible version because it was only a few days wait until Pompey was released.
I'm also extremely lazy and prefer to have steam update my mods instead of doing it manually.
But I'll gladly download any beta compatible version you release instead of waiting over two months, especially with all these future game systems playable in early form now.

I'm at the point where I won't touch vanilla IR. It's with GeS or nothing at all!