• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ash001

friend&foe
10 Badges
Jun 5, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Rome Gold
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
gustavedoreedwardiiikil.jpg
Current version is for 1.091
Compatible with all DLC
Download here.

Version 0.34

Mod Features

• [*] A new system to distribute traits – making characters stand out with a specific personality (more uniqueness per character and a lot less contradictions);
    [*]Less traits per character – the idea is make those few traits define the character (average of 4 to 7 traits per character...);
    [*]More than 100 new traits;
    [*]The gaining and loosing of traits should be more dynamic – more traits gained during teenage years, while a few are lost during the start of adult life. As characters reach old age, a new and exclusive set of traits will fire up based on the combination of traits they had previously (WORK IN PROGRESS) .
    [*]Custom trait-icons (mostly adapted from Rome EU) and unique event pictures;
    [*]Trait-specific event-chains (WORK IN PROGRESS) adding more intrigue and backstage politics to the game (with abdication, council disputes, among other things :cool:);
    [*]100 + nicknames (most of them adapted from Syren's Nicknames Mod);
  • Fully merged with CK+ (with all the features and improvements from the mod, more info below);

SCREENSHOTS

ck2eccentric.jpg

ck2fourhumours.jpg

ck2traits2.jpg
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS MOD?
The 0.1x version provided more trait variety and flavour.
The 0.2x and 0.3x versions, while keeping the changes from previous versions, focuses on integrating most of the CK2Plus mechanics - besides adding more narrative and "human drama" to the mod.

FUTURE PLANS
Check out my next post.

HOW TO INSTALL

To those who never tried installing a mod before, let's make this really simple:
1. download and extract to whatever place you want (desktop, for instance?).

2. Now, to the tricky part: look for Paradox Interactive under the Documents folder. Inside Paradox Interactive, there's Crusader Kings II. So far, so good?
If you click on it, you'll find folders like logs, interface, save games, screenshots.
Here, I'd recommend you create a "FOLDER". Yes, that's right. Right-click and create a folder. Better yet, name it "mod".
Remember Friends & Foes folder and the Friends & Foes mod. file you extracted? Just take it from wherever you left (desktop?) and paste it inside the newly-created "mod" folder.

3. Launch the game and tick the option “Friends&Foes Mod”. And you're good to go!

PS - If you have an older version of the mod, delete the old mod before installing the new one!

COMPATIBILITY WITH OTHER MODS
Well... since this is a major overhaul, there's no compatibility with other mods yet.
Although... the graphics mods that are compatible with Ck2+ should run safely:
- Patrum Scuta (version 0.5)
- Flavorful Titular Titles
- Titular Title Generator
- Better Looking Characters

Some smaller mods that I enjoy have already been integrated with Friends & Foes, as well as features and improvements from CKPlus:

CKPlus by Wiz
ARKO Pack
Patrum Scuta (version 0.3) by Keanon, with graphics by Solo_Adhémar and Wappenwiki/Birger
Better Rebels Mod by avee
Offer You Can't Refuse by Zaldax
HRE Revised Coronation Mod by Van Diemen
Culturally Different Cities by Velho e Bom Joe
Family Relations Mini-Mod by avee
Syren's Nicknames Mod
Adoption MiniMod by Korbah
Council Shuffling by The Chancellor
Council 13+ by Rendon
Minor Titles by RedRooster
Sieges and Dungeons by teotl and waylit1
Updated Duel and Jousting Engine from Jordarkelf, Galle and Knuckey
and
Additional Objectives by JGCrusader
With new ambitions added:
  • Make a Friend Ambition (for Friendly, Funny, Magnetic, Lively, Quipster, Eloquent, Gregarious and Confident Characters or Diplomacy > 12 Characters)
  • Ward Liege's Child Ambition
  • Mentor Liege's Child Ambition
  • Pursue Church Career Ambition (for Spiritual, Scripture Sprouter, Dogmatic, Zealous and any Characters with religious education)
  • Reign for 20 Years Ambition
  • 10 Years of Peace Ambition
  • Uncover Plot Ambition (for Curious, Clever, Good Intuition, Gossipmonger, Suspicious, Honest, Loyal and Reliable Characters)
  • Become Regent Ambition (for Diplomacy > 10 Characters)
  • Assemble a Great Council Ambition
  • Become Great Warrior – available to those who are trained warriors and want to become a legendary warrior
  • Lead Troops
  • Lead Troops Against Infidel
  • Lead Troops Against Muslim

Besides, for this version, I have adapted or copied&pasted practically all files from CK2Plus. These are the main features introduced:

FROM CK2+
  • Added the "old" trait - which reduces fertility/health and alters attributes for old characters. Now, characters who live to very old ages should be rarer, having less children, and so on.
  • Added coronation events.
  • Loan System: In the new loan system, you have complete control over when you take a loan. Doing so is done through a decision, with a loan sum that scales to your income, so it is never too little to be useful or too much for you to pay back. The interest is fixed at 25%, so loans are worth taking even if your stewardship happens to be low.
  • Revamped tyranny mechanics. When you perform tyrannical actions (such as imprisoning, banishing or executing characters) without a rightful cause, you will now get tyranny 'points' that translate into a Tyrant trait with a potency from 1 to 100. For each point of tyranny, you suffer penalties to prestige and vassal opinion. Imprisoning and executing characters when you have rightful cause to do so (for example if they rebelled against you) will not result in any tyranny, and the tyranny penalties for banishment are lowered if you have rightful cause. Note that a character revolting/acting dishonorably towards you will only give you cause for ONE punishment, so you can either revoke, banish OR execute them... additional punishments will result in normal amounts of tyranny. Tyranny goes away over time, and will not be inherited by your successor when you die.
  • Councillor opinions of liege now influences his performance (councillor that really likes you will work harder, while one that dislikes you will perform worse).
  • Landless characters can now hold estates that give them small amounts of revenue and prestige, represented through character modifiers. Estates range from minor (1) to large (5) with each level giving more income and prestige. You can grant estates to characters at the cost of 50 gold per 'level'. Additionally, courtiers with money and no prospect to inherit titles will spend their own money to purchase estates. On a character's death, their estates are divided among their sons. Characters who gain a landed title will sell off their estates, and banished characters lose all their estates. Characters who are granted estates will like you more, and landless relatives are less likely to ask for or plot to get a landed title if they have been given estates. Characters with estates are given the special title 'Lord'.
  • More court plots (steal from ruler, discredit job-holder, slander rival, fabricate evidence of treason against courtier or vassal). Councillors more likely to plot against you if disloyal (spymaster might try to off you, steward steal from you, etc). Here's the list:
1. Discredit Councillor
Conditions: Plotter has 10+ skill in any stat AND is within 3 stat points of current office holder
Effects (success): Target loses 3 points in job-related skill
Effects (failure): Plotter loses 1 point in job-related skill, liege can decide to imprison plotter

2. Embezzle Funds
Conditions: Plotter holds a court office
Effects (success): Embezzle 60 gold if liege is count, 100 gold if liege is duke, and, if is higher rank than duke, plotter might steal 120 or even 250 (with the added requirement of liege having more than 600 gold in treasury).
Effects (failure): Liege can decide to imprison or outright execute plotter
Notes: Much easier if target's Steward is instigating or backing plot

3. Kidnap Character
Conditions: Target is in the same realm and a vassal
Effects (success): Target is imprisoned by plotter
Effects (failure): Plotter becomes dishonorable, target's liege gets an imprisonment and revoke reason if liege of plotter
Notes: Much more difficult to kidnap landed characters

4. Instigate Revolt
Conditions: Target is a landed vassal, target does not have a high opinion of liege
Effects (success): Target revolts against liege
Effects (failure): Plotter becomes dishonorable, target's liege gets an imprisonment and revoke reason if liege of plotter

5. Fabricate Evidence of Treason
Conditions: Target is landed, target is your vassal or shares the same liege
Effects (success): Liege gets a imprison/revoke reason on target (AI liege will automatically attempt to imprison, player has to do it manually)
Effects (failure): Plotter gains 20 tyranny if targeting their own vassal, target's liege gets an imprisonment and revoke reason if targeting a fellow vassal of liege

6. Fabricate Evidence of Heresy
Conditions: Plotter and target both catholic or both orthodox
Effects (success): Target becomes a heretic
Effects (failure): Plotter loses piety, head of religion gets the option to excommunicate plotter
Notes: Much easier if target's Court Chaplain is instigating or backing plot, much more difficult against Kings and Emperors

• Fear mechanics included. So far, this means a heir who inherits from a tyrannical ruler should have an easier time with his vassals if his traits confirm him as a strong and merciless leader (making his vassals fear and respect him) while a weak, cowardly ruler with the "dynasty stain" should be disliked by many of his vassals. But, remember, fear works only to a point. Beyond that, you'll quickly get everyone claiming for your blood.
  • Minor titles - As kings and emperors, the player has new minor titles to give (most of these come from The Prince and The Thane mod - Standard Bearer, Keeper of the Great Seal, Master Falconer, among others). Keep in mind - some of the titles are better suited for people with specific traits. For instance, Master Falconer would fit a character with the Falconer Lifestyle trait. Is the player allowed to bestow on someone without the trait? Sure -- with the risk of having bad events happen to both the character with the Title and his liege.
    Other titles, specially the ones that require trust, like Keeper of the Great Seal and Confidant, are only allowed to those who are friends with the ruler or have good relations (above 70) with them.

Confidant - For dukes, kings and emperors. Needs to be friends with liege or have relations equal or above 70.
    Personal Guard - For dukes, kings and emperor. Needs to be friends with liege or have relations equal or above 20. The personal guard must also be a knight and have a martial education.
    Armour Bearer - For kings and emperors. Needs to be friends with liege or have relations equal or above 20. The personal guard must have a martial education.
    Standard Bearer - For kings and emperors. The standard bearer must also be a knight and have a martial education.
    Master Falconer - For kings and emperors. It's not recommended to bestow the title to a character without the Falconer Lifestyle trait.
    Keeper of the Great Seal - For kings and emperors. Needs to be friends with liege or have relations equal or above 20. Also must have stewardship education.
    Monsignor - For kings and emperors. Must have religious education to receive this title.

• “widowed" trait and icon taken from AGOT by Wolfgang Pauli and the AGOT team. If the player/character has relations equal or above 50 with spouse, the player may get some good events from it, specially if the character has a "social archetype" (sanguine). On the other hand, if a beloved spouse dies, the character earns a "widowed" trait that prevents the character of remarrying and may lead to depression. Most likely, the player/character will need some time (2-3 years) to forget the loved one and move on.
  • Ransoming characters will now generate opinion modifiers. If you're asked to free your prisioner in exchange of ransom and refuse, your prisoner will be displeased, of course, while grateful if you'll accept.
    If you decide to take the initiative and ransom him before an offer, there will still be a bonus in the prisoner's opinion - but smaller than if you were reacting to an offer.
  • Leadership traits are exclusive to martial-educated characters.
And it's worth mentioning, a few EVENT PICTURES are from these amazing artists:
http://leventep.deviantart.com/
http://www.waart.net/artwork/artwork_digital.html

DISCLAIMER
I'm new at this. So everything takes time and effort.
I try to keep things moving during the weekends but if anyone is willing to help, the mod should get quicker updates and improvements...
In any case, I'll keep working on the mod -even on my own- as I really enjoy the results so far.
To whoever would like to integrate this with another mod, feel free to pm me and I'll see what can be done on my end to help.
Of course, if you'd like to take care of the whole integration, I'd still appreciate credits (mention of Friends & Foes Mod by ash001) and let me know after, yeah? ;)
As always : any criticism, comments and suggestions are welcome.

WANT TO HELP?
Please do. Seriously!
Want to help with the localisation? No technical stuff – you just need to read some text. I'd appreciate having a native English-speaking person proofreading it.
If you want, you can help out by writing some amusing/interesting text to go with events.... Volunteers are more than welcome.
Do you code or have ideas for events and such? Go ahead, I'd like to hear from you.
Or if you'd just like to play the mod and provide feedback, that would be great too!

Credits
Although I work to maintain this mod updated, there are other people who contributed significantly to the mod's present state:
Wiz (for the CK2+ code), Knuckey, Wolfgang Pauli, Rodri, Galle and the AGOT gang (for the Plot to Bribe, Widowed Trait and Trial by Court Event-Chain), Jordarkelf, Knuckey and Galle (for the Updated Jousting and Duel Engine), JGCrusader (for the Additional Objectives), Waylit1 (for Dungeons and Sieges), Glassmage (Cultural cities 1.091 integration), Necroskowitz (Jewish ruler titles), Hoodinski (Eastern European dynasty names), Werther, River, Faelron, Duc Toto du Haricot (French Translation), Arko (ARKO Pack), zeek40 (Scripting and event writing), idib816 (Jewish Cultures), Sleight of Hand (Breton Names), Slim Jim Pickens (Culture Buildings), Elryck and Arko (Mercator Mod), zeress (Flavorful Titular Titles), Viscardus (Cornish Characters, Anglo-Norse Culture), EmperorTojo (Icelandic Culture Mod), Ijtzoi (All the Way to Timbuktu), Syren (Syren's Nicknames Mod), Shaytana (Better Looking Characters), Keanon (Patrum Scuta), Wappenwiki and Solo_Adhémar (Patrum Scuta Graphics), Zaldax (An Offer You Can't Refuse), Velho e Bom Joe (Culturally Different Cities), Icecream Jones (flags, new countries), Strudel Man (many tweaks and additions), NoNotTheMindProbe (russian kingdoms), pothkan (CK2 heraldy mod), The_Chancellor (Council Reshuffling mod), avee (Family Relations Mod, Better Rebels mod), Sniper4625 (misc graphics), Van Diemen (HRE Revised Mod, Youth traits), riso (Treaty of Nymphaeum scenario), Six Gun South (PMM)
Doc Martin, JakobGood and richvh - Localisation
richvh - QA
River974 - French Translation (TO BE RELEASED)

Thanks to
  • Rafek – for all the encouragements (and for coming up with the very cool mod Ad Limina Apostolorum)
  • Hroppa – for the first constructive criticism and suggesting the “Four Humours” idea
  • Baneslave and Fargham – for their patience and teaching skills, taking me through some of my first modding steps
  • RedRooster – for posting great ideas on the forum, and taking the time to answer some of my most confused/confusing inquiries…
  • Knuckey and Ran Miller - for sharing some modding knowledge and being available to help, and the whole Game of Thrones gang (Rodri, Cabeza, Galle, Zarine, tompalmer, among others) for being such a great source of inspiration
  • badger ken and Jaime550 – for making a modder's life easier with their awesome tools Matchmaker and the Validator
Also, a special mention to Wiz and idib816 for their overhaul mods CK2Plus and The Prince and the Thane and for graciously allowing me to use their code into Friends&Foes.

CHANGELOG AND OTHER INFO:
0.20 First Part
&
0.20 Second Part
0.12c

Attachments

• gustavedoreedwardiiikil.jpg
    gustavedoreedwardiiikil.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
INTRODUCTION

So… I’m big fan of CKII and one of the game’s features that most appealed to me is the traits and opinions system.
But I wanted to add another layer to the traits system, making it more robust and allowing more traits to be distributed – something that could produce an even more diverse (and “human-like”, maybe?) effect to the characters’ interactions and personalities.
So that was the start of this mod project.

THE FIRST STEP

The vanilla version offers a good number of traits - but if you study the traits file, you'll notice that -besides the congenital, health-related and education-based ones- it all boils down to the "seven sins and virtues" and "the others" (deceitful x honest, brave x craven, gregarious x shy, and so on) - which are "personality-yes".
That’s fine. As far as a game goes, the specific number of traits allows for some diversity while making it manageable for the devs to test and tweak...
But, now, without time constraints, we could experiment and take this further. Let’s check a random screenshot from the vanilla game:
traitsdiversity.jpg

We’re mostly surrounded by “cynical”, “greedy”, “diligent”, “gluttonous”, “gregarious”… Starting to feel a bit generic and samey, huh?
Ok, let’s add new traits!
Wait… Not sure it’s just about the number of traits. Think about it. No fun in having a character that is “energetic”, “slothful”, “reserved”, “gregarious”, “careless” and “pessimistic”. What kind of made-up person is that? The traits don’t really add up…
If we adopted a system to distribute a number of traits, we would
1.) have more control to balance the game without millions of test-years and
2.) have a “frame” to distinguish the character as a certain “type”.

ARCHETYPES

So here, I think, we nailed on the head.
With 12 personality archetypes, each of them opening up to 8 different traits – this should give us plenty of variety, and still provide a recognizable temperament for each character.
Each of these 12 personality types would have their own strong and weak spots. It is up to luck (and the game's engine) to decide which would stand out.
To come up with the personality archetypes, I first took my cues from the zodiac (cause there's plenty of info over the net to feed ideas). After feedback, decided to try something a bit more fitting…
In essence, we’re talking about “the 4 humours” – four principal fluids (blood, black bile, yellow bile, and phlegm) that were produced by the human body and, according to medieval physicians, had to be in balance to keep a person healthy.
The predominance of one of these “humours” would lead to a specific personality type:

Sanguine – impulsive, sociable
Melancholic – introverted, cerebral
Choleric – leader-like, passionate
Phlegmatic – quiet, collected

Generally speaking, there’s no inconsistencies with the vanilla traits – SPECIALLY once we blend these “humours” together. Let’s have a look (SPOILERS ahead, you can skip it if you prefer to discover things in-game):
PhlegmSan - Thinkers with unusual and far-sighted ideas.
Positive (more pros than cons) - clever, unpredictable, stoic
Negative (more cons than pros) - aloof, rude, eccentric
Neutral (have both pros and cons) - fascinated by books, loyal
PhlegmMel – Thinkers that are more connected to their feelings and spirituality.
Positive – scripture spouter, family person, spiritual
Negative - indecisive, procrastinator, moody
Neutral - idealistic, secretive
PhlegmChlor – Thinkers that are grounded in reality and the day-to-day business.
Positive - good with money, practical, constant
Negative - dull, predictable, stubborn
Neutral - resentful, traditionalist
SanguineChlor – Social people with child-like innocence.
Positive - lively, eloquent, friendly
Negative - fickle, shallow, nervous
Neutral - gossipmonger, impatient
SanguineMel - Social people who rely on their instincts.
Positive - obstinate, cautious, good intuition
Negative - self-pitying, irrational, frivolous
Neutral - manipulative, overimaginative
SanguinePleg - Social people who are the ultimate pleasure-seekers.
Positive - graceful, quipster, cunning
Negative - weak-willed, unreliable, fanciful
Neutral - submissive, romantic
CholericSan - Active people who enjoy being in charge.
Positive - energetic, confident, efficient
Negative - selfish, arrogant, impulsive
Neutral - loud, restless
CholericMel - Active people who aim for the top.
Positive - hard-working, noble spirit, natural leader
Negative - dogmatic, pompous, gullible
Neutral - callous, leads from the front
CholericPleg - Active people who seek memorable experiences.
Positive - optimistic, philosophical, funny
Negative - careless, tactless, rebellious
Neutral - risk-taker, curious
MelancholicPleg – Introverts who overthink.
Positive - analytical, demanding, reliable
Negative - harsh, worrier, haggler
Neutral - frugal, meticulous
MelancholicChlor – Introverts who are sensitive.
Positive - magnetic, suspicious, tolerant
Negative - vain, judgmental, pessimistic
Neutral - sensual, bloodthirsty
MelancholicSan - Introverts with leader-like abilities.
Positive - authoritative, disciplined, careful planner
Negative - plain, unfriendly, rigid
Neutral - reserved, calm

HOW IT WORKS

For starters, every character in-game should fit into one of the 12 archetypes. Something like this:
ck2iconshumours.jpg

As a trait, these are not supposed to give any bonus or malus, just a vague idea of the character’s inclinations.
From there, new events based on these archetypes pop up, giving the player and AI specific traits.
Every ‘archetype’ usually leads to ONE specific-trait. If a child-character has less than 3 generic traits, a 2nd specific-trait might be available through event, but this somewhat uncommon.

THE SECOND STEP

The next thing was curbing the number of traits for each character. Instead of having characters with 8 or 10 traits, the aim was to keep this under 6.
Why? The thinking here is less is more. It’s nice to have one quick glance at the character’s stats and get an impression of who he/she is.
There's a “maintenance-type” event that checks the number of traits and once it reaches a certain threshold (7), removes one of them during the character's teenage years.
A lot of work was placed to make sure there's balance between the traits and also the numbers are evenly sprawled around the CK2 world.

FRIENDS AND FOES

And, of course, the reason for the mod’s title.
The idea is to add event-chains that will basically offer plenty of interaction between the player’s character and a few others. These characters will become “friends/allies” and “foes”, and these bonds will mean something. Having a tactless friend might get you into trouble with your liege, an overimaginative friend might lead you to suspect a conspiracy that doesn’t exist, a resentful enemy may come after your character even after a truce… Oh, and having (100) relations with a good friend (and keeping it that way) might offer some nice bonus (better spy network, some protection against assassinations, etc). On the other hand, if this best friend is killed (and it’s likely to happen if you have a sworn enemy!), your character might fall into some hard times (with a “depressed” or “guilty” trait), so it’s always a give-and-take situation.
The focus will be on a small number of characters, so the player really feels like getting to know them. The player’s dynasty won’t be background noise any more, but play a much more important role.
Another focus point for events will be the council, where a lot of tension should arise. Bribes, backstabbing, all kinds of demands, political bargains and even shady businesses to be sorted! The higher the stats, the bigger the egos the player will have to deal with.
Just keep in mind, this part is the least developed one. It might take some time but I'll keep working on it.

WHAT ELSE?

Events. Events, events and more events. These events should be tailored to work specifically for these archetypes and traits. Again, the progress here should be slow but steady… or so I hope.
As a bonus, I'm also adding Syren's Nickname Mod. I have tweaked around the nicks to fit the Friends & Foes traits, and added a few new nicknames myself.
Here's the list:

Ambitious
Apathetic
Ashik
Bad
Bard
Benign
Bloodaxe
Boar
Bohemian
Breton
Brilliant
Candid
Clubfoot
Cunning
Dane
Decadent
Distrustful
Downcast
Eagle
Eloquent
Exile
Finn
Generous
German
Glorious
Hunchback
Hungarian
Honorable
Hot-Spur
Illustrious
Impaler
Indolent
Infirm
Learned
Leper
Meek
Mild
Minnesinger
Moor
Mystic
Nord
Norman
Parricide
Peaceful
Peculiar
Planter
Poet
Pompous
Prudent
Quiet
Rash
Recluse
Reluctant
Rich
Righteous
Saxon
Scarred
Scholar
Scop
Scot
Seemly
Short
Shrewd
Sickly
Skald
Stammerer
Stout
Spider
Suspicious
Theologian
Treacherous
Truthful
Tyrant
Ugly
Upright
Vain
Wanton
Warrior
Weak
Wolf
Powerful
Ox
Battler
Terrible Eyes
Russian
Serb
Wrymouth
Fanged
Godless
Turk
Pole
Stuttering and Lame
Whiner
Resolute
Stallion
Bottomless Purse
Do-Nothing
the Voice of God
Elegant
Impotent
Childless
Pacific
Booklover
the Velvet Hand
Extravagant
Outspoken
Beggar
Serious
the Silky Tongue
Sour
Foul
Vicious
Depraved
Spineless
Tenacious

WHAT CAN WE EXPECT IN THE FUTURE?

There are a few good ideas around the forum that I’d like to take forward.
  • Abdication, and the pressure to do so if you mess with the wrong crowd (you’ll need friends to survive this!). There's a great mini-mod from Vagn, I'm just working around it to make it feel more 'reactive to context and less of a 'cheat-code'.
  • Events involving diseases and rulers looking for medication and treatments – making this a little more interactive and engaging;
  • Fear mechanics. The player can turn his character into a murderous machine. Vassals will fear a cruel liege, which would create a deterrence modifier, preventing the AI to start a rebellion. Public tortures and executions would also help increase fear. But the added deterrence would only be temporary, and might bring about a very unstable situation.
  • Duels and deadly fights between characters.
  • In-laws relations.
  • Conspiracies and revenge.
  • Relics to find when crusading. Pilgrimage to distant places.
  • Battle and siege events – taking a lot of inspiration from steveuk666's great work.
  • And, of course, more ambitions and plots!

And now AARs using the mod:

Last edited:
Looks promising. I tried to do something similar, what I called Zodiac Mod, where you would have a zodiac sign as your major trait around which everything else revolved, then intersected around humors. Please don't be insulted if some of that ends up in my Rodrigo mod. I don't like to poach on other modders or feel like I am. A more, well, medieval feel to things can only benefit the player's experience. You could be radical and throw in things like traits affecting CBs.

For compatibility:
Make a list of what files you changed. I'm sure you're making use of the new event_modifiers and traits folders, which should make things easier on running with other mods. Good luck.

This looks fantastic, honestly.
Thanks mate!
It was a LOT of work (for a newbie like myself!) but I'm proud of the result - and, best of all, really enjoying how characters "evolve" while playing...

Looks promising. I tried to do something similar, what I called Zodiac Mod, where you would have a zodiac sign as your major trait around which everything else revolved, then intersected around humors. Please don't be insulted if some of that ends up in my Rodrigo mod. I don't like to poach on other modders or feel like I am. A more, well, medieval feel to things can only benefit the player's experience. You could be radical and throw in things like traits affecting CBs.

For compatibility:
Make a list of what files you changed. I'm sure you're making use of the new event_modifiers and traits folders, which should make things easier on running with other mods. Good luck.
Zodiac?!
Where have you been when I posted this thread?
If I knew you'd be into it, I would have been helping you a long time ago....:p

Don't forget to check the changelog on the 1st post, I tried my best to explain what files were used...
And - insulted? On the contrary, I'd be flattered -- besides allowing me to possibly enjoy Proj Rodrigo combined with some of my own work! :)

And Redrooster, feel free to suggest ideas and stuff, I really think there are places to go with this.

Interesting. I especially like the way you worked the Empidoclean elements as the Neo-Platonists figured them into the mix. Keep up the good work!

Hello Ashy :)

Huge congratulations on your wonderful work! Very nice and awesome idea + implementation. Will be following closely and as soon as back from across the pond, I will prepare a compatibility package :)

PS. Ashy, can you consider introducing version numbers? Would be easier that way to see when something gets changed and to keep track on other mods that would have packages for yours.

Last edited:
Oh my god. These'll look so beautiful next to Crackdtoothgrin's Goodies.

As someone who modded traits for Medieval II: Total War, I commend you, sir, and I appreciate your efforts. I only pray that you can fight the compulsion to mod :p. You deserve a game with these traits!

It is awesome! It looks to be what CKII trait system should be!
I have not tried this out yet but I am a little concerned about the balance issues especially when coming together with the vanilla trait events.

This is exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for in a CK2 mod. I'd be more than happy to do proofreading and possibly event-text writing if you need it, and if I can pick up any modding skills myself (I'd been making tentative steps in that direction with the goal of attempting something along the lines of what you've done) I'll try and help where I can there as well.

Well, I will definitely have to try this mod... I think the idea is very, very good, but complex, so I'll have to see how it is working. It does have huge potential!
Well done!

Seems really interesting. Good idea. In CK1 DV , there was different personnality that character gain at 12. Traits were logical et personnality well made. I will try your mod and with the Prince and the Thane , which is a great mod too , i hope both will be compatible each other.

@Meneth - if it wasn't for modders like yourself helping out and giving advice ... I wouldn't be here! ;)

@apg, Bertouch, grallonsphere, Pnutmaster, toluas, Cromelex - Thanks, guys!

Is that permission to integrate some of your stuff with my stuff? :) I like the new screenshots, with the Cancer trait. Here are the icons I had made up if they're helpful: http://www.mediafire.com/?u466j36lb9yp317

Just ripped off of Wikipedia actually.

Hey, Red, absolutely, be my guest! And I have a set of zodiac icons made too (if you need them... :D)

Hello Ashy :)
Huge congratulations on your wonderful work! Very nice and awesome idea + implementation. Will be following closely and as soon as back from across the pond, I will prepare a compatibility package :)
PS. Ashy, can you consider introducing version numbers? Would be easier that way to see when something gets changed and to keep track on other mods that would have packages for yours.

Thanks, Rafek! Hope you enjoy it. And, yeah, the version is 0.01 (I think you saw that, but I'll update the 1st post...).
And, of course, we have "business to discuss", you and I.
Let's see if we can have our mods take advantage of each other... ;)

It is awesome! It looks to be what CKII trait system should be!
I have not tried this out yet but I am a little concerned about the balance issues especially when coming together with the vanilla trait events.

That was also a concern of mine, and one of the reasons why it took so long to be released... Wanted to make sure the "feel" of the game would be close to vanilla (as far as balance and events firing and all...). See what you think.
So far, I'm happy with the result (guess I'm a bit biased, though... :ninja: so I look forward to feedback)

This is exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for in a CK2 mod. I'd be more than happy to do proofreading and possibly event-text writing if you need it, and if I can pick up any modding skills myself (I'd been making tentative steps in that direction with the goal of attempting something along the lines of what you've done) I'll try and help where I can there as well.

Cool! I'll pm you.

Seems really interesting. Good idea. In CK1 DV , there was different personnality that character gain at 12. Traits were logical et personnality well made. I will try your mod and with the Prince and the Thane , which is a great mod too , i hope both will be compatible each other.

Thanks, Jomen.
But I'd say Prince and Friends are not "friendly" yet... I mean, they share a few files so it would take some adapting to make it work - specially the on_actions.txt, which really means idib would probably have to take a look at this and see if it's worth the effort.

Just a heads-up, really.

Thanks, Jomen.
But I'd say Prince and Friends are not "friendly" yet... I mean, they share a few files so it would take some adapting to make it work - specially the on_actions.txt, which really means idib would probably have to take a look at this and see if it's worth the effort.

I'm trying right now to make it possible. I have merge on_actions.txt already. But there is other files too to merge.

By the way i am on the childhood_personnality_traits_event.txt and i have see this in the more flavor part

# Child is slow to learn to talk
character_event = {
id = 1900
desc = "EVTDESC1900"
picture = "GFX_evt_child_play"

max_age = 5

is_triggered_only = yes

trigger = {
NOT = { trait = stutter }
father = { is_alive = yes }
NOT = { num_traits = 6 } ######## LOWERED FROM 5 TO 3 BY ASH

}

Should'nt it be "{num_traits= 3}" as it said that it was lowered from 5 to 3 ?

Anyway i will try it when im done with all this