• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ill use the crown for my Byzantines early age too, as the vanilla giant crown is enlarged to a comical level.
The komnenian crown from CFP is awesome but thats later in time.

Great work and cant wait :)

The vanilla crown is also of Komnenos vintage -- the "Byzantine Imperial crown" in vanilla is the empress crown of Eirene Doukaina. At least, that's the closest I've been able to find to match it.

800px-haghia_sophia_virgin_irene_john2.jpg

• 2Love
Reactions:
The vanilla crown is also of Komnenos vintage -- the "Byzantine Imperial crown" in vanilla is the empress crown of Eirene Doukaina. At least, that's the closest I've been able to find to match it.

800px-haghia_sophia_virgin_irene_john2.jpg
Okey epic! Thanks, not often I get new info on the Byzantines! Heavy burden that crown though xD symbolic.

But yeah, then Byzantines dont have a early crown yet? Nothing thats looks like the one Macedonian, Isaurian or any of those dynasties had according to contemporary art I have seen.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'd like to report mod conflict with either Map of Tang dynasty mod or Five Dynasties mod, whichever of the two adds the Han headpieces.

I've added the Expanded Portraits at the end of the list because these two mods don't make the Han ethnicity look Chinese enough. However, 3 female headpieces don't show properly as a result, everything else works fine.

Here is what happens ingame:

20210713152504_1.jpg
20210713152506_1.jpg
20210713152509_1.jpg

What can I do to make these 3 textures display properly?

Thanks!

I just installed this mod and wondered why Estonians & Finns look Asian... Then I looked at the culture files (ethnicities in the text files) of the mod. Is this like some kind of joke? Or did the mod creators find some 19th century Swedish anthropology book talking about Finnics being Asian?

Maybe you should Google about Iron Age archaeological finds and the statistics related to them? Or ask someone on the forums? Thanks to genetic research we know that Iron Age Estonians had mainly (80+%) light hair and light eyes. We also know that Iron Age Estonians and modern Estonians are genetically almost the same and even in modern times, Estonians look the same (and not Asian). I didn't bring out Finns as in 1000AD, they barely existed yet (very small numbers) as Estonians were still colonising Finland and only the south and southwest were Finnic, the rest was still Sami.

I'm absolutely baffled, can somebody explain where did the decision come from to mod Estonians/Finns to look like Asians? I studied the Northern-European Iron Age time period in university and I know a fair share about archaeology and the studies done on all finds. Actual archaeological (and genetic) studies show clearly that there were no dark haired Asians among Finnic people who were still expanding northwards and eastwards because of overpopulation in Northern-Estonia.

If playing in Northern-Europe then I cannot really use this mod because it is extremely inaccurate when it comes to several populations on the eastern shore of the Baltic sea.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
Actual archaeological finds, genetics, facts and statistics doesn't lie:
5fef1c6.png

You have to be an adherent follower of 19th century Swedish race theories to ignore the fact that all research disproves those theories of Finnics being dark featured and Asian. I will send 100€ to anyone here (looking at people disagreeing) who can prove that Iron Age Estonians (proto-finnics out of whom other Finnics groups arose, like the Finns), had predominately dark features and looked Asian.

Or you can keep playing in a fantasy game where Estonians & Finns are some sort of half Mongoloid people in your game, that has never been true, especially in the Iron Age. I'm waiting for someone to tell me that this is some sort of joke made by some contributor to the mod as it is just too unrealistic. :D

• 2Like
Reactions:
Or you can keep playing in a fantasy game where Estonians & Finns are some sort of half Mongoloid people in your game, that has never been true, especially in the Iron Age. I'm waiting for someone to tell me that this is some sort of joke made by some contributor to the mod as it is just too unrealistic. :D

I would like to make quick note of this very quickly, as the team won't take unneeded hostility, as per if you would also take a look into the very same files for Vanilla Crusader Kings III, you would find yourself these same ethnicities for these cultures, what we at the team have done is, expanded broadly at many of the world wide ethnicities firstly, to bring more diversity at first release, from that point we then we dive in further and flesh out each of the cultures around the map.

The most simple truth is we haven't reached that second stage for the entire map at this time.

Taking a comparison of both our, on the left, and Vanilla, on the right - Culture Files for the Balto-Finnish ethnicities.

Circumpolar.png

And then from there, let's dive into the Ethnicity it is calling in the first place,

Ethnicitiy.PNG

You will see from this that Paradox Interactive's vanilla system for Culture and Ethnicity has them have the circumpolar ethnicity template, and we have simply expanded upon each of the templates.

And we have not yet, gotten to each individual ethnic group in the African-Eurasian World.
This isn't some sick joke from the team, and this isn't any different from Vanilla on the matter, it simply hasn't been covered.
- Ethnicities and Portraits Expanded Team.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I would like to make quick note of this very quickly, as the team won't take unneeded hostility, as per if you would also take a look into the very same files for Vanilla Crusader Kings III, you would find yourself these same ethnicities for these cultures, what we at the team have done is, expanded broadly at many of the world wide ethnicities firstly, to bring more diversity at first release, from that point we then we dive in further and flesh out each of the cultures around the map.

The most simple truth is we haven't reached that second stage for the entire map at this time.

Taking a comparison of both our, on the left, and Vanilla, on the right - Culture Files for the Balto-Finnish ethnicities.

View attachment 749664

And then from there, let's dive into the Ethnicity it is calling in the first place,

View attachment 749666

You will see from this that Paradox Interactive's vanilla system for Culture and Ethnicity has them have the circumpolar ethnicity template, and we have simply expanded upon each of the templates.

And we have not yet, gotten to each individual ethnic group in the African-Eurasian World.
This isn't some sick joke from the team, and this isn't any different from Vanilla on the matter, it simply hasn't been covered.
- Ethnicities and Portraits Expanded Team.

If you've been working with vanilla templates then this all makes sense, sorry for getting triggered. I made a bug report about the vanilla setup as well. TL;DR Using "circumpolar" for Estonians & Finns is inaccurate and the only group in Northern-Europe that could use it are the Sami who have a very different ethnic history compared to the Finnics.

Considering that I studied history in uni (focusing on Iron Age Northern-Europe) then I can gladly help out with your mod and work on North-Eastern European ethnicities based on peer reviewed research papers in the archology and genetics field. I know how to work with CK files so let me know if you need someone to cover that area of the map. At this point, the hair & eye colours are radically off and the circumpolar thing is odd. North-Eastern Europe has the highest percentage of light traits based on different studies looking at the Iron Age so them being depicted as mainly black & dark-haired is surreal.

At this point, the Norse characters look more like Finnics than the setup used for the Finnics. Based on research done on Iron Age archaeological finds, it appears that proto-Finnics (modern-day Estonia) were blonder than Scandinavians so there are some stereotypes here that need to be undone. Light features aren't an uniquely Scandinavian trait, it's common all over Northern-Europe and Finnics have even less Early European Farmer ancestry than Scandinavians so it is quite logical that North-Eastern Europe represents the area with the most light traits as it has the smallest Early European Farmer component.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Is this Mod still being worked on?

There was an Update on the 10th. What was that about?

Edit: Will this Mod play nice with El Tyranos' "Community Flavor" Mod? Thinking of getting that one too...

• 1Like
Reactions:
There was an Update on the 10th. What was that about?

Edit: Will this Mod play nice with El Tyranos' "Community Flavor" Mod? Thinking of getting that one too...

The patch notes are in the patch note section of the steam page, but here are the patch notes,

Community Flavour Pack works perfectly if you use the EPE-CFP Patch, listed near the bottom of the patch notes.

##############################
Patch Notes: Hotfix 9 for 1.4.4

MAJOR ADDITION:

-Salt & Pepper by @buckzor has been added to the base mod. Thank you very much @buckzor!

ADDITIONS:

-Gaelic Nobility, Royalty, and Imperial headwear added.
-Western and Early Western Nobility has had their headwear overhauled. Original headwear will now be barbershop only as the new content is more accurate to the period.
-West Slavs will now wear Tribal era clothing in the 867 start and upon feudalizing switch to their westernized clothing.
-Byzantine Culture group has received new clothing patterns and colors.
-Added Byzantine/Eastern Spangenhelm to appropriate cultures.
-Added second variant of the Byzantine Imperial Stemma.

Check out images of our newest additions in #preview-screenshots!

CHANGES:

-Pattern optimizations have been done across most of the cultures in the game with contrast and mask edits.

ETHNICITY CHANGES:

-Added new Egyptian templates.
-Added new Irish templates.
-Added new Brythonic templates
-Added new German templates
-Added new English templates

NOTICES:
- If you load the mod, and do not see new content, please restart both CK3 and Steam.

##########################
EPE+CFP: Hotfix 9

Bug Fixes:

-Mod brought in line with mainline EPE: Included new Anglo-Saxon, Byzantine, and Steppe items.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The patch notes are in the patch note section of the steam page, but here are the patch notes,

Community Flavour Pack works perfectly if you use the EPE-CFP Patch, listed near the bottom of the patch notes.

Patch Notes: Hotfix 9 for 1.4.4

MAJOR ADDITION:

-Salt & Pepper by @buckzor has been added to the base mod. Thank you very much @buckzor!

ADDITIONS:

-Gaelic Nobility, Royalty, and Imperial headwear added.
-Western and Early Western Nobility has had their headwear overhauled. Original headwear will now be barbershop only as the new content is more accurate to the period.
-West Slavs will now wear Tribal era clothing in the 867 start and upon feudalizing switch to their westernized clothing.
-Byzantine Culture group has received new clothing patterns and colors.
-Added Byzantine/Eastern Spangenhelm to appropriate cultures.
-Added second variant of the Byzantine Imperial Stemma.

Check out images of our newest additions in #preview-screenshots!

CHANGES:

-Pattern optimizations have been done across most of the cultures in the game with contrast and mask edits.

ETHNICITY CHANGES:

-Added new Egyptian templates.
-Added new Irish templates.
-Added new Brythonic templates
-Added new German templates
-Added new English templates

NOTICES:
- If you load the mod, and do not see new content, please restart both CK3 and Steam.

EPE+CFP: Hotfix 9

Bug Fixes:

-Mod brought in line with mainline EPE: Included new Anglo-Saxon, Byzantine, and Steppe items.

I've got them all now. It says I might have to relaunch the Game. Does that mean I'll have to do a Reinstall? I logged in and most of the characters are naked by default...

I've got them all now. It says I might have to relaunch the Game. Does that mean I'll have to do a Reinstall? I logged in and most of the characters are naked by default...
It says to restart steam or install / uninstall the mod.

Make sure the load order is also correct,
Community Flavor Pack must be loaded first,
Then Ethnicities and Portraits Expanded,
Then finally the Ethnicities and Portraits Expanded - Community Flavor Pack Patch.

Hope that helps you!

It says to restart steam or install / uninstall the mod.

Make sure the load order is also correct,
Community Flavor Pack must be loaded first,
Then Ethnicities and Portraits Expanded,
Then finally the Ethnicities and Portraits Expanded - Community Flavor Pack Patch.

Hope that helps you!
I didn't know Load order was important. But Game works fine now, and there's so much pretty stuff for me to play with!

I found this, The crown of Nicephoros II Phokas:

art-portraits-various-shutterstock-editorial-5850855au.jpg
Late response(sorry just came across this) but that’s a 13th or 14th Century Portrait of Him from the Empire of Trebizond.

Coins from his reign show him wearing the standard 10th Century Stemma or Stefanos.

92A10C18-CD8B-48EE-BE0A-8020FA5B7000.jpeg

B9EA6EAF-DFBD-48C2-9F4F-1982C113A37A.jpeg

CK3 Emperors really do be wearing 11th-12th Century Empress Crowns.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Was there an Update today?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Late response(sorry just came across this) but that’s a 13th or 14th Century Portrait of Him from the Empire of Trebizond.

Coins from his reign show him wearing the standard 10th Century Stemma or Stefanos.

View attachment 804171
View attachment 804172

CK3 Emperors really do be wearing 11th-12th Century Empress Crowns.

Nice Find! Wasn't trying to justify the crown used in Ck2/3 just wanted to say that I found a possible inspiration for it. Why would Trebizond depict him the way they did if it was wrong?