• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Fishman786

Maharaja
90 Badges
Aug 17, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Island Bound
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Download HERE for Enhanced Succession Laws v5

Current supported patches:
[2.6.3]

The rationale of this mod was to prevent all the European kingdom titles from gradually shifting into elective monarchy, and to make succession law changes more difficult.

If we look at the succession laws, we can see that they each have a number of different characteristics:
Code:
Gavelkind:                 splits titles        fixed inheritance         favours older children
primogeniture:             does not split         fixed inheritance         favours    older children
Ultimogeniture:         does not split         fixed inheritance         favours younger children
Seniority:                 does not split         fixed inheritance         favours older dynasty members
Tanistry:                 does not split         elective inheritance     favours older dynasty members
Elective Gavelkind:     splits titles         elective inheritance
Feudal Elective:         does not split         elective inheritance
This mod changes the succession laws so that it is usually only possible to switch to a succession system that only disagrees with one of the characteristics of your current succession law.
For example, only titles Gavelkind, Ultimogeniture, Seniority or Feudal Elective succession laws can be converted to Primogeniture succession:
  • Gavelkind shares a fixed inheritance system that favours the oldest
  • Ultimogeniture shares a non-splitting fixed inheritance system
  • Seniority also shares a non-splitting fixed inheritance system
  • Feudal Elective only shares a non-splitting system, but since the last column is blank it only disagrees in one category, therefore it is valid
  • Tanistry disagrees in two categories since it's non-fixed and favours older dynasty members
  • Elective Gavelkind has no similarity with primogeniture

This means that laws now need to 'evolve' naturally, it's not usually possible to make gigantic changes all at once.
It also means that different early succession laws will lead to different outcomes. Gavelkind succession will lead to kingdoms that have a single fixed heir, whilst Elective Gavelkind will lead to elective succession.

Since this might appear confusing and there are a few exceptions, there's a diagram showing the different succession routes bundled with the mod.

Succession%20Laws%20Diagram.png

INSTALLATION:
  1. Unzip the files onto your computer
  2. Keep this file and the diagram somewhere safe
  3. Move the EnhancedSuccessionLawsv1 folder and the .mod file into C:\Users\[your username]\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\mod
  4. Select the mod in the laucher and play!

COMPATIBILITY:
This mod changes the following files:
  • succession_laws.txt
  • 00_factions.txt

This means that it is probably not compatible with large total conversion mods or big rebalance projects, but should be fine with most other mods.
However, since it's relatively small it is fairly easy to use a file-merge program to add this to a big mod if you know what you're doing.

MAJOR RULES:
  • You can normally only switch between succession laws that are 'adjacent' on the diagram provided, ie they only have one differing characteristic
  • Seniority succession is considered adjacent to all succession laws. This is so that countries which historically used this system can adopt it in one step.
  • Zunist and Mongol characters can use Ultimogeniture without an adjacent law.
  • Viceroys can use Primogeniture at any time.
  • Primogeniture and Ultimogeniture still require high crown authority or Late Feudal Administration
  • Feudal Elective is adjacent to all succession types except Gavelkind, but unless you have Elective Gavelkind you cannot change to it without the Autonomous Vassals law, a fully-empowered council or voting enabled for at least six Council Laws.

OTHER CHANGES:
  • Because succession law factions require the law to be available before they can be created, it's now globally much less likely for countries to be turned to Feudal Elective succession.
  • It is also now impossible for vassals to force rulers with Imperial Administration to lower Crown Authority or increase council power.
  • Vassals of rulers with Imperial Administration can still form factions demanding different succession laws, but they are somewhat less likely to do so unless Feudal Elective succession becomes available.
  • Vassals of rulers with Imperial Administration will jump at the chance to impose Elective Succession if it becomes available, since it's a rare opportunity.
  • The Overthrow Ruler faction is only possible if voting is enabled for all Council Laws except the last, and it is impossible in Empires with Imperial Adminstration.
  • After voting has been enabled for four Council Laws, vassals are somewhat less likely to demand more authority.
  • After voting has been enabled for six Council Laws, vassals are unlikely to demand more authority. However, this does not affect feudal Empires (i.e. ones without Imperial Administration like the HRE).

Attachments

• Succession Laws Diagram.png
    Succession Laws Diagram.png
    24,3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Reactions:
Version History:

Code:
v5 (quick fix)
- Adjusted possible problem with new titles getting wrong laws

v4 (28/09/16)
- Made Feudal Elective requirements slightly less strict
- Reduced the likelihood of vassals of rulers with Imperial Administration to start factions for law changes
- Made it more difficult for the Overthrow Ruler faction to appear
- As Council power increases, vassals become more content and less willing to faction for more power
- New localisation for the Feudal Elective requirements
- If Feudal Elective succession becomes available, vassals of Administrative Empires will jump at the chance to implement it

v3 (quick fix)
- Fixed mistake with Tanistry

v2 (quick fix)
- Succession laws now exclude non-adjacent laws rather than requiring adjacent ones

v1 (26/09/16)
- Initial release

Last edited:
It seems a very nice job, cheers!

But then how would an empire avoid the unavoidable absolutist evolution?
Firstly the Imperial Administration law is pretty rare. AI empires themselves aren't that common, and since vassals will normally start factions to reduce the authority of any ruler without war declaration voting it is rare for them to adopt Imperial Administration. In all the start dates, Byzantium is the only realm with Imperial Administration. It's perfectly possible (and more likely, knowing the faction-heavy AI) for an empire to evolve down the opposite route, with the council taking all the power and turning it into something resembling the HRE. The only thing this change does is make it difficult for uppity vassals to inevitably destroy Byzantium's unique government system, letting them remain a centralised autocracy throughout the game.

Secondly, it is possible for the player to go down an alternate route by simply revoking the Imperial Adminstration law or increasing council power themselves.

Possibly this change isn't quite necessary and I might try making a game rule for it. In the mean time, if you don't like it you can just delete the objectives folder from the mod.

Reactions:
New version available!

Download HERE. Ignore, outdated. Use v5 instead

Changes:
Code:
v4
- Made Feudal Elective requirements slightly less strict
- Reduced the likelihood of vassals of rulers with Imperial Administration to start factions for law changes
- Made it more difficult for the Overthrow Ruler faction to appear
- As Council power increases, vassals become more content and less willing to faction for more power
- New localisation for the Feudal Elective requirements
- If Feudal Elective succession becomes available, vassals of Administrative Empires will jump at the chance to implement it

Hopefully this will encourage more vassals to support claimants and pretenders rather than just gradually destroying their realms.

Possible upcoming features:
- Localisation to explain in-game which laws convert to what
- Maybe new balance to faction AI depending on how this works out
- Make it easier for vassals to fabricate claims on their liege perhaps?

Wider future plans:
- Integrate this mod with Restricted Empires and some other unreleased mods
- Natural Disasters mod
- Re-do the terrain map for PCK2

Last edited:
Reactions:
So I was playing as a petty king in England, had primogeniture from the off, and 50 years in, I created the kingdom of England, and my succession laws are reset to gavelkind, and centralization to minimum (was at medium). This is on patch 2.6.1.1, no Conclave. Is this right? Surely primo should stick if I already have it?

So I was playing as a petty king in England, had primogeniture from the off, and 50 years in, I created the kingdom of England, and my succession laws are reset to gavelkind, and centralization to minimum (was at medium). This is on patch 2.6.1.1, no Conclave. Is this right? Surely primo should stick if I already have it?
Centralisation isn't affected by this mod, so that's a vanilla issue. I'm not sure about the primo thing. Generally speaking you need advanced tech to access primo (even in vanilla) and that's the case in the mod as well. I think you can access primo as a duke with Conclave off, but whether or not it sticks if you create a kingdom I don't know. I personally haven't experienced it, but I play with Conclave. I suspect that this is something that happens in Vanilla though.

I found the culprit, a crown_laws.txt in another mod >.<

I can confirm that vanilla without Conclave upon creating a kingdom as an independant grand duke:
Succession laws are maintained
Realm laws are maintained (centralization)
Medium CA is enacted

Apologies for the confusion, and for not checking what was modifying game files more thoroughly!

Reactions:
I had my first vanilla no mod game after years away (left after rajas) came back to try a game see how they intended it.

Byzantines were elective before my character even died.

Why don't they fix this? I will def like this mod

I had my first vanilla no mod game after years away (left after rajas) came back to try a game see how they intended it.

Byzantines were elective before my character even died.

Why don't they fix this? I will def like this mod
Thanks, hope it works. If there's anything you're not happy with or any bugs, please share them here.

Can confirm that this is compatible with version [2.6.2]. No need for an update.

Last edited:
Great idea, though maybe it would be more in line with the design principles to only allow going to Seniority from Tanistry ( = Elective Seniority, kind of), since both kinds of Gavelkind change two aspects (they split titles, and they favor different characters).

Great idea, though maybe it would be more in line with the design principles to only allow going to Seniority from Tanistry ( = Elective Seniority, kind of), since both kinds of Gavelkind change two aspects (they split titles, and they favor different characters).
Yeah, that's what the design philosophy implies, and it was my original intention to do in that way. However, that leaves Seniority in a strange position of only being accessible for a) Irish realms, b) people coming out of Feudal Elective, and c) people who are already advanced enough to access Primogeniture and Ultimogeniture. Not many characters are Irish, Feudal Elective is a bit of a dead end for the AI as the computer doesn't understand how to re-consolidate power, and actually Seniority is quite an old succession type in the game and exists already in Russia in 1066. If Seniority is going to be accessible in the early game there needs to be an exception to the design principles. Whilst that's inconsistent I don't see it as such a big problem, I'm strongly in favour of asymmetrical design. I'm not too keen on having it just fully accessible for everyone, maybe it should be only accessible via Elective Gavelkind (which is basically the title-splitting version of Tanistry) rather than both types of Gavelkind.

Could this be integrated into HIP?

Could this be integrated into HIP?
You couldn't run it at the same time as HIP I don't think, and whilst it could be integrated I think HIP probably has similar systems in place anyway (at least in terms of factions). The mod is very small but it has a substantial impact on gameplay and you'd really need to ask the HIP team to find out if they're willing to go in that direction.

Is there any way for me to change it to tanistry being available for all tribals? Seems like whatever I try, it just doesn't work :/

Is there any way for me to change it to tanistry being available for all tribals? Seems like whatever I try, it just doesn't work :/
That should be possible. Under 'potential', try replacing
Code:
                culture_group = celtic
with
Code:
                OR = {
                    culture_group = celtic
                    is_tribal = yes
                }
and then changing
Code:
            OR = {
                holder_scope = {
                    culture_group = celtic
                }
                AND = {
                    tier = baron
                    is_feudal = yes
                }
                holder_scope = { is_feudal = yes }
            }
to
Code:
            OR = {
                holder_scope = {
                    culture_group = celtic
                }
                holder_scope = {
                    is_tribal = yes
                }
                AND = {
                    tier = baron
                    is_feudal = yes
                }
                holder_scope = { is_feudal = yes }
            }

For some reason the Celtic culture thing is mentioned twice. I don't remember changing that.

Reactions:
I've copied it exactly like that, at least that's what I think, but in-game it bugs out and appears like I haven't parsed it correctly or something :/ Meh, this isn't easy when one space too much or too little means the difference between stuff working or not. Thanks a lot for your effort in any case.

I've copied it exactly like that, at least that's what I think, but in-game it bugs out and appears like I haven't parsed it correctly or something :/ Meh, this isn't easy when one space too much or too little means the difference between stuff working or not. Thanks a lot for your effort in any case.
I'll try it out tomorrow.

Strictly-speaking this isn't an issue with the mod per-se since Enhanced Succession Laws doesn't change any of Tanistry's requirements beyond the ones controlling which succession type you need beforehand. If you want answers more quickly it might be better to ask in the modding quick questions thread. Once you've got a solution you can use copy-paste or a file-merge tool to bring it into my mod.

If everything's glitching out it sounds as if a bracket somewhere is missing.