• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Trovador

First Lieutenant
59 Badges
Dec 23, 2009
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
Enhanced Portraits Mod​
Version 1.0​

11gu3dl.jpg

6-28.jpg

I finally discovered many unused, but possible configurations to the portraits, and I packed some of them in a mod.

This mod features, for now:

-Proper orthodox beards for Orthodox priests, bishops etc
-A new design of the long curly beard (with a small moustache now, rather than only the long beard)
-Non-black hair colour for Italians, Occitans, Castillians etc (in CK2 vanilla, the only hair colour generated to mediterranean christians is black)
-A fine moustache for Harold of Godwin
-More beards around Europe
-Latin characters and Catholic priests will be shaved more often, while Norse, Slavic and Pagan ones will have beards more frequently.
-Orthodox priests have a proper headwear now

Planned features:
-Correctly redistribute hair colours around Europe
-Add formerly muslim beards and hairs to Western Europeans, when appropriate
-Add new beards and haircuts to Western Europeans, mainly by modifying the current ones
-Add historical faces to well known leaders of the period
-Add new backgrounds, helmets and other items
-Add new portrait items related to traits

Download EPM v1.0 for CK21.02 here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?gmcgkx0463adcm0

---

Credits:
Trovador - Coding and Scripting
thrashing mad - New models and textures

Last edited:
Great news and quite an accomplishment! Now the only thing that's missing is Byzantine skin tone and unique sprites :).

Would it also be possible to change the headdress for Orthodox bishops? Mitres of that sort were only worn by the Byzantine Patriarch. Instead the bishops would wear what's called a "klobuk", seen here:
GennadiosM.jpg

You can read these articles for more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klobuk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choir_dress#Examples

Last edited:
Yeah ! Great, another possible dlc gone MOD. Cool!

On Catholics, as i understand they had to shave face and head, while the orthodox had to do the opposite to show independence of Rome. Nah?

Most people had beards, shaving was hard in the days when almost all forms of bathing where heretical.

Bathing was not heretical or rare. It certainly became much rarer into the renaissance and faded into oblivion during the enlightenment (there's actual sources for how disguting people in these periods are, unlike the middle ages, which is based on popular myth).

Regardless, Normans tended not to keep beards for example, which is why I swapped Harold Godwinsons portrait with Williams. It's quite fitting, given Harold looks as William basically should, and vice versa

Most people had beards, shaving was hard in the days when almost all forms of bathing where heretical.

Bathing was not heretical or rare. It certainly became much rarer into the renaissance and faded into oblivion during the enlightenment (there's actual sources for how disguting people in these periods are, unlike the middle ages, which is based on popular myth).

Regardless, Normans tended not to keep beards for example, which is why I swapped Harold Godwinsons portrait with Williams. It's quite fitting, given Harold looks as William basically should, and vice versa

Yeah I always wondered what the f*** Paradox were thinking with Harold and Williams' portraits.

Oh, and pwn'd.

Enhanced Portraits Mod​

11gu3dl.jpg

I finally discovered many unused, but possible configurations to the portraits, and I packed some of them in a mod.

This mod features, for now:

-Proper orthodox beards for Orthodox priests, bishops etc
-A new design of the long curly beard (with a small moustache now, rather than only the long beard)
-Non-black hair colour for Italians, Occitans, Castillians etc (in CK2 vanilla, the only hair colour generated to mediterranean christians is black)
-A fine moustache for Harold of Godwin
-More beards around Europe

Planned features:
-Correctly redistribute hair colours around Europe (more Redheads in Ireland, less of them in slavic countries, etc)
-Add formerly muslim beards and hairs to Western Europeans, when appropriate
-Add new beards and haircuts to Western Europeans, mainly by modifying the current ones
-Add historical faces to well known leaders of the period
-Add new backgrounds, helmets and other items
-Add new portrait items related to traits

Download EPM v1.0demo here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2i69vvh8gnancxl

/facepalm

There are not more redheads in Ireland then elsewhere. In fact, the most common hair colors are black and brown. Norse cultures would have a higher incidence of redheads. And since the viking invasions were only really just having happened and happening in Ireland, the gene wouldn't have spread that wildly.

In other words, most people would not spawn with red or blonde hair, except those spawning in Dublin, Leinster, Osraighe, or Meath (Breithne).

On a side note, I find it ironic that you feel you're correcting mistakes, as indicated by your statement of "proper orthodox beards," and yet in this simple and well-known area you dropped the ball. And I really hope you aren't basing your judgement about "proper" on ancient portraits, which were as likely to be wildly inaccurate.

What? People take more baths in Middle Age than in the modern era; and if you look in the illustrations/french king funeral statues/miniature.... you can see that most of nobles don't have beards. It's a roman legacy, particulary accepted with the Renaissance of the 12th century.

By the way, i love the beards of the orthodoxs bishops: good job;)

Thank you for the feedback!

@Modding tips for portraits: I made a post earlier yesterday, here, before I discovered how the portrait_properties.txt file works (yes, it works, by the way). I may update it soon.

@Catholic priests beards: I plan to add it soon, it's fairly simple to be done, by the way. In the catholic case, however, I'll only increase the shaved odds, as the restriction was not as closely enforced as the the orthodox one.

@Orthodox proper hats: it would be somewhat harder to add a new headwear (codewise it's easy, but I don't have the artistic skills to do it), but I could give them the black hood. I think it would be better than the current one, right?

@Frequence of beards: it can be easily adjusted, but I think it was rather common in these times to have beards - not the full type, but at least some sort of beard. Even if it's more 'fictional' than real, we do have mental images of medieval knights with beards.
Also, I can relate traits and cultures to beards, so more 'latinized' or 'civilized' characters could be shaved more often, while northerners and lower nobles, for example, could be bearded more frequently.

@Irish hairs: yes, you're right and I'm completely wrong. I'm based in the popular vision, however, and we should agree with me that putting redheads in the Irish culture would make them more recognisible by most people. As others said before, CK2 is more about verossimillance than realism, and people expect to see redheads in Ireland.
HOWEVER, I know how horrible it is to have your personal culture abbused that way, so I'll follow your suggestion. Actually, could some people help me with the hair/eye colour distributions etc? I must say I'm *not* the best person to do so.

@General objectives of this mod: obviously, there will be many, many discussions about it. The fact is: historical correctness and medieval flavour are not easily mixable, and I think we should make this mod so that most people enjoy it as a further medieval experience. I'll try to make historical corrections as frequently as I can, but sometimes I will keep the medieval cliches because, even if they're not strictly correct, they are better suited for a game like this.

I'd pick one of historical accuracy or medieval flavour, Trovador, rather than trying to mix the two together! (At the very least that'll focus criticism on what you care about). Each probably deserves its own mod.

Ooo, beards! That should make the orthodox clergy look a bit more authentic. Well done, Trovador!

As for the Irish red hair, I must admit I didn't know that wasn't accurate. Oh well, learn something every day.

I wonder, though. Is the modern day distribuition of hair colours similar to that of CK2's timeframe? Aapart from relatively recent immigrants, of course - but then, they'd have a different culture in CK2 anyway.

@Modding tips for portraits: I made a post earlier yesterday, here, before I discovered how the portrait_properties.txt file works (yes, it works, by the way). I may update it soon.

Cool, thanks.

@General objectives of this mod: obviously, there will be many, many discussions about it. The fact is: historical correctness and medieval flavour are not easily mixable, and I think we should make this mod so that most people enjoy it as a further medieval experience. I'll try to make historical corrections as frequently as I can, but sometimes I will keep the medieval cliches because, even if they're not strictly correct, they are better suited for a game like this.
Absolutely, agree with you on that.
Looking forward to it.

Correction of a correction: according to http://www.amazon.com/Concepts-Cleanliness-Changing-Attitudes-Publications/dp/0521342481 it was the renaissance and baroque that were the low points. Bathing started to come back in enlightenment.