• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I've just realised that I uploaded the wrong file, without the modified beards.

The new version has the correct files, and also features less beards for Catholic priests (even though most of the Popes in this period are portrayed with beards) and latin-cultured characters (Frankish, Norman, Italian and Occitan, IIRC) and more beards for Norse, Slavic and Pagan characters.

Thank you for the feedback!

@Orthodox proper hats: it would be somewhat harder to add a new headwear (codewise it's easy, but I don't have the artistic skills to do it), but I could give them the black hood. I think it would be better than the current one, right?
A black hood would probably be close enough. You might consider adding a small cross on the front of it, such as the one in the mosaic I posted earlier, so he's not confused with a spymaster ;). Or you could even abstain from headwear altogether:

4623311170_b7983e2c25_z.jpg

(A collection of bishops are on the right)

Really it's up to you.

Last edited:
A more helpful way of putting it:
Take a look at the Norse-Gael mod. That's the group in the Irish area that's more likely to have red hair.

Wait , its still 10% of irish poulation compared to around 2% worldwide. About 5 times as many.
Red hair is associated with the celts. So why only for the norse-gael ?
Several sources imply there were redheads in Ireland before viking invasions.

Please tell me i'm wrong, but i'm surprised that it should be limited to the norse influence.

@Hroppa

thanks for the article, very well and interestingely written.
I knew that and before writing above, just checked Wikipedia again. Excellent "red hair" article there.
I wonder if Frezzin did notice that.

Is there an increased incidence of blonde hair in the mod? I've found barely anyone with blonde hair, and it's always dirty blonde. I once managed to get a platinum blonde beard after years of breeding specifically for the gene (having never seen the trait in anyone else), and I seriously doubt that it was that rare among northern european nobility in the 11th century.

@Hroppa

thanks for the article, very well and interestingely written.
I knew that and before writing above, just checked Wikipedia again. Excellent "red hair" article there.
I wonder if Frezzin did notice that.

/shrug I did a little digging and it seems redhair is strongly associated with celtic groups. So fair enough there.

But I as far as I remember it was/is scientifically accepted that the viking invasions is what brought in red hair. Maybe that's changed now based on that information I found. BUT, keep in mind that vikings were also Danes and other groups (other than Norse or Swedes) they traveled a lot during that period of time. In fact, vikings often traveled and stayed. So just because Sweden and Norway don't have high incidents of redhair doesn't mean that the vikings weren't very strongly redheaded.

Regardless of whether ireland should have more red hair at the START, i don't think it's reasonable to make a complicated system to "ease in" having more red hair. It should be perfectly fine to sacrifice accuracy at a short point in time in favor of the rest of the time.

kingofparades has the point: I decided to priorize medieval flavor over historical accuracy, as this is the general orientation of the game. As such, I think it will be more immersive for most players, most of time, to see a redhaired character and think he may be Irish. Either if this is historical at game start or only one hundred years later, it 'feels' right for, for example, someone playing Aragon to marry a irish countess and discover she has red hair.(obviously it will not be 100% chance, but a larger chance than in other places).

At blonde people: no, I did not mod it. Strangely, it seems that dark blond and platinum blond have the same odds for northern europeans, which is the same of brown, black, chesnut and red hair.

Luckly, as we have rather few characters with predefined DNAs, it's fairly easy to increase the list without messing up with many characters.

---

@ the orthodox hat: my artistic skills are plain horrible, so I'll let them have either one of the cloaks or no headwear (except for the Patriarch), for now.

---

I'll quite happy with the beard odds now (most catholic priests and French/Italian rulers are shaved, as they should), but I'll further enforce that Slavic rulers have proper beards, and not only french-like little moustaches. This may sound silly, but it does add immersion when you click on Galich or Novgorod and find a fully bearded duke, instead of a guy with a small moustache or no beard at all. It feel like he is Russian because you expect to find him that way.

---

If there are any artists out there, I would happly mod in more headwears (more helmets, or specific-cultured ones, or phrygian caps for the doges), but I'll need the images.

@ the orthodox hat: my artistic skills are plain horrible, so I'll let them have either one of the cloaks or no headwear (except for the Patriarch), for now.

I can make one - just give me some reference pics. :)

I've posted quite a few.
GennadiosM.jpg
Orthodox-bishop-greek-choir.png
bishop.jpg

Can post more if needed.

OK thanks - that should be enough. Just two questions - should this hood thing fall in front (pic 1) or behind shoulders (pic 2 3)? Also - should there be a cross in front?

A cross is a sign of the metropolitan, but you can use it. The hood should be behind the shoulders (to simply look better).

Yes, if you're going to create the actual vestment, the cross isn't necessary. I was only suggesting that to Trovador as a way to distinguish from the black hoods of spymasters.

I also added another icon with a clearer view of the headdress. Behind the shoulders is best.

Is the shape ok?

1-54.jpg

EDIT

Quickly textured and put into the game (still needs some polish):

2-51.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. Looks a little flat across the forehead to me, though.

Yeah, I'll fix it. Should I add this red/gold cape as well?